Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

So, as expected, it was in the context of adhering to best practice in wearing masks while protesting, and not just using Covid-19 as an excuse to say the protests shouldn't happen.

What absolute double standards waffle.

"This should not be confused with a permissive stance on all gatherings, particularly protests against stay-home orders."

Believe the science unless we believe its a valid cause then ehhh don't . The shark has been jumped.........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

smartz wrote: »
    Yeah I've heard about that before, but I think that just means he can't be retried separately for a lesser degree if the first instance fails. From what I've read it seems like this second degree murder charge 'supersedes' the other the third degree charge, and that the second degree manslaughter charge is the only 'back up charge'.

If that's the case it seems like a huge risk, given how difficult it's going to be to prove that he intended to kill and wasn't just 'depraved' and 'reckless'.

It was what I read from someone on one of the US news network pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

I was wondering when some would throw second amendment rights into the mix
    Here's a great show of solidarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,657 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

So, as expected, it was in the context of adhering to best practice in wearing masks while protesting, and not just using Covid-19 as an excuse to say the protests shouldn't happen.

I read the letter and it was nothing but unbridled cognitive dissonance.

If you took anything else away from it then I have no idea how.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I don't agree with protests in Ireland but America is in a different place.
    People are dying unnecessarily as a result of police action so the covid risks must be balanced against potential police reforms as a result of the protest. (Which may save lives)

We are going to start to reopen next week despite covid risk for the sake of the economy.
    I have no problem with that but again it is about balancing risks and trying to reach for the best long term outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

joe40 wrote: »
    I don't agree with protests in Ireland but America is in a different place.
    People are dying unnecessarily as a result of police action so the covid risks must be balanced against potential police reforms as a result of the protest. (Which may save lives)

We are going to start to reopen next week despite covid risk for the sake of the economy.
    I have no problem with that but again it is about balancing risks and trying to reach for the best long term outcome.

A lot more people will die from Covid-19 because of these protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

I think this is a great thing, even if it's done in a single state, hopefully others follow if it can pass or maybe do it federally.. the bad ones need to be rooted out, not allowed to move city/state to escape to carry on in the job they are are not fit to do.

"Have the state license police officers the same way it licenses physicians, pharmacists and hairdressers.

“I think it’s the responsibility of the legislature to do what they’ve done for many other professions to have consequence for repeated misconduct or single acts of egregious misconduct,” Raoul said.

If they have an egregious act of official misconduct or a pattern of such, they can have their license taken away such that they cannot participate in that profession anymore and that should be the same thing for a law enforcement officer who is capable of using deadly force in carrying out his or her duties.”

Raoul said a state licensing system would ensure that officers with repeated misconduct claims could have their licenses pulled — regardless of how discipline is handled in a police union contract — and they would then be forbidden from continuing to do police work in another city."

https://www.wbez.org/stories/illinois-top-legal-officer-wants-to-license-cops-just-like-doctors-hairdressers/9a8b6505-4283-4975-ad2f-8b653e96da73

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Rjd2 wrote: »
    No different level of risk than those protesting police brutality is their?

You are either fine with mass gatherings when it comes to politics or not. The virus does not care about your politics.

There is possibly less risk because that gathering happened in an area of lower population density which does not seem to have been as badly affected so far by the virus than many of the bigger cities that have had protests. New York City for example may have the highest rate of infection in the world. The risks there are higher than in a smaller town. It's still a disgrace either way. Worse in many ways as the country's president chose for this to happen.

As for people not having a right to complain, most people are just trying to live through all of this and aren't strongly polarised in either direction. So yes, anyone who just wants to stay as safe as possible has a right to complain. My politics are strongly left/liberal but this is a time where partisan politics should be being put aside to get us through a pandemic. Especially in the US where they do not have control of the infection to the point where George Floyd actually had Covid 19 at the time of his death.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭Christy42

A lot more people will die from Covid-19 because of these protests.

Kind of depends on how far forward you look at it for the police brutality issue. Plus the lighter stuff and lives ruined.

Both are horrible and I am not sure protesting is the best idea in a pandemic but since I don't have a better option for them I figure I can't really talk. This issue won't get solved without protests.

And we'll if they wanted people to stay in they should have stopped the president from telling everyone he had a cure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Bloody hell. This police officer has taken a serious whack on a horse in London. Hope he is ok.

https://twitter.com/FarukFirat1987/status/1269338557354778624

Horse went on to trample a protestor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

Christy42 wrote: »
    Kind of depends on how far forward you look at it for the police brutality issue. Plus the lighter stuff and lives ruined.

Both are horrible and I am not sure protesting is the best idea in a pandemic but since I don't have a better option for them I figure I can't really talk. This issue won't get solved without protests.

And we'll if they wanted people to stay in they should have stopped the president from telling everyone he had a cure.

Covid-19 has ruined a lot of lives as well. These protests won't result in any meaningful change. They have been co-opted by fringe political groups who insist on making unreasonable demands. Take a look BLM's manifesto or whatever they want to call it. Most Americans don't support reparations or collective ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

iguana wrote: »
    There is possibly less risk because that gathering happened in an area of lower population density which does not seem to have been as badly affected so far by the virus than many of the bigger cities that have had protests. New York City for example may have the highest rate of infection in the world. The risks there are higher than in a smaller town. It's still a disgrace either way. Worse in many ways as the country's president chose for this to happen.

As for people not having a right to complain, most people are just trying to live through all of this and aren't strongly polarised in either direction. So yes, anyone who just wants to stay as safe as possible has a right to complain. My politics are strongly left/liberal but this is a time where partisan politics should be being put aside to get us through a pandemic. Especially in the US where they do not have control of the infection to the point where George Floyd actually had Covid 19 at the time of his death.

The politics of the virus has been repugnant tbf.

Some on the left at times seemed be cheering on Florida and Georgia failing so they can hammer two pro Trump governors.

The right as usual have been no better, ignoring it initially with the "its just a flu bro" narrative and the Republican president where do you begin?

Then last week after months of telling people to stay home and save lives, left wing politicians have downplayed the huge health risks of these protests.

The right will probably say "well you don't care about social distancing" so why should we which is no better a narrative.

American politics is solely about owning the other side atm, no wonder its absolutely ****ed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Then last week after months of telling people to stay home and save lives, left wing politicians have downplayed the huge health risks of these protests.

The Guardian article posted earlier had a medical 'expert' saying protesters need to weigh up their own risks and make their own choices about whether they should protest or not. For months and months the healthy among us have, rightly, been told 'it's not about you.' Most of us haven't endured social distancing and lockdown in order to protect ourselves but to protect the most vulnerable members of our society and our healthcare systems and the people who work in them. But all of a sudden it's 'weigh up your own risks?'

A big problem is most of these people have been forming their politics in a social media bubble of people who all think alike. I do suspect that they are massively overestimating the anger of the ordinary people who have sacrificed massively. Just as Johnson and Cummings underestimated how angry people were about Cummings breaking the lockdown. Everyone has just gone through something real and hard. Seeing that possibly all being for nothing is very hard to take.

I think/hope that the community spread in Ireland is low enough that the protests here won't have too bad an effect. But in the UK and especially the US, the consequences have the potential to be dire. Even in the US if you are mildly sick you could end up with insane levels of debt. I needed a chest x-ray, ECG and blood tests in April. I've spent most of the last 12 weeks in bed. I've been on and still am on a mini pharmacy of medications. If I was in the US I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up having to borrow against my house to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ok, I am saying it..

The police everywhere need to crush these thugs causing g mayhem..

And sorry, if you want to be smack bang in the middle of it all “claiming to be all peaceful,” then it’s your tough Sh1t...

These thuggish protests need to be stopped..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

walshb wrote: »
    Ok, I am saying it..

And sorry, if you want to be smack bang in the middle of it all “claiming to be all peaceful,” then it’s your tough Sh1t...

What's happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

An NFL player called Colin Kaepernick began kneeling at the anthem they play before games protesting injustices and basically a lot of what these riots kickstarted over

On the national anthem thing it is also worth pointing out that pre game it wasnt always that way. It began with the Afghan/Iraq war when the Defence Department needed to recruit soldiers in their droves. So they began paying the NFL, NHL, baseball and Nascar to hold these militarised ceremonies before kick off as a recruiting tool to get young men to enlist.

They became known as pre-game patriotism or more commonly "paid patriotism". The military spent millions with the games owners to have things like air force flyovers, the National Guard singing the national anthem or giant American flags the size of the pitch being paraded by hundreds of marines in uniform. Then in 2009 it became more pointed as the Defence Department wanted all players on the pitch for the national anthem, standing towards the flag and hand on heart. Up until that point the players were often still in the dressing room when the anthem was being played and it was their choice if they wanted to be on the pitch or not. That changed in 2009.
    The National Football League's new policy requiring all team and league personnel to "stand and show respect for the flag" during the traditional pre-game playing of the national anthem is being painted by its backers as a show of patriotism. But the league's history with the national anthem illustrates another cherished American value: capitalism.

As ESPN's Stephen A. Smith and others have pointed out, NFL players have only been on the field for the anthem on a regular basis since 2009. At the time, sports leagues were paid millions of dollars by the U.S. Department of Defense to honor members of the military during the playing of "The Star-Spangled banner" without informing the public that they were watching a paid promotion.

A report released in 2015 by Arizona Republican Senators John McCain and Jeff Flake found that the Pentagon spent $6.8 million on sports marketing contracts with the National Football League, Major League Baseball, the National Hockey League and Major League Soccer on what the senators dubbed "paid patriotism." The practice was subsequently banned by the Pentagon.

"Since the Army National Guard marketing policy with sporting event packages was clarified and corrected, please understand [that] National Guard soldiers on the field before, durin, or after sporting events are completely separate from the marketing initiatives," Kurt M. Rauschenberg, a spokesman for the National Guard Bureau, wrote in an email to CBS MoneyWatch. "Generally, these are considered community relations programs involving the team reaching out to the local National Guard asking for them to conduct honor guard, flag unfurling, or fly-overs. Those are of no extra cost to the government and very normal."

The national anthem protests began in 2016 after San Francisco 49ers Quarterback Colin Kaepernick kneeled during the playing of "The Star-Spangled Banner" to protest racism and police brutality. Soon, other players followed Kaepernick's lead, creating a public relations headache for the NFL, which is by far the most popular and profitable U.S. professional sports league. Conservatives including President Donald Trump said they were outraged by the protests.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-nfls-tangled-ties-with-the-national-anthem-dont-run-deep/
    On Monday, actor and civil rights activist Jesse Williams took a similar tone, blasting the president for criticizing those players who had chosen to take a knee.

“This anthem thing is a scam. This is not actually part of football. This was invented in 2009 [by] the government paying the NFL to market military recruitment, to get more people to go off and fight wars to die,” he said in an interview with MSNBC. “This has nothing to do with the NFL or American pastime or tradition.”
    https://thinkprogress.org/nfl-dod-national-anthem-6f682cebc7cd/

The whole anthem thing and the militarisation of American sports is only a recent phenomenon.

Bloody hell. This police officer has taken a serious whack on a horse in London. Hope he is ok.

Same bunch of ****ing clowns that Hijack every demonstration, from Grenfell tower to students fees.

Couldn’t give a **** about racial equality, just looking for an excuse to riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Aegir wrote: »
    Same bunch of ****ing clowns that Hijack every demonstration, from Grenfell tower to students fees.

Couldn’t give a **** about racial equality, just looking for an excuse to riot.

Some people just want anarchy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

People jeering the police office getting knocked from the bolting horse. Scum. Like all these protestors, peaceful or not, are just pure scum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

Mehapoy wrote: »
    It's 100% the police fault for aggressively pushing over the guy without de-escalation and using force as a first resort, you'll blame everybody but your hero's in uniform, hopefully you'll never come in harm's way, sounds like you'd submit willingly anyway!

First of all I wouldn't confront the police during riots.

And hopefully you'll never get your property looted or burnt, because some moron tries to obstruct the riot police which was heading to protect your home!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

God damn facts!!

“As of this evening, the owner has voluntarily surrendered the dog in question to our rescue while this matter is being addressed.”

According to an update shared by the animal rescue on Wednesday, it has since “complied with the owner's request for return of the dog” after it was “promptly evaluated by our veterinarian, who found that he was in good health.”

Fair enough. Guess I heard wrong.

Considering the harm done from cutting police budgets wonder what people think the consequences of cutting funding for the police will be.

Here's a wild idea. Maybe it will lead to an increase in crime and a further breakdown in order?

And when you throw more money at education, grades go up! :rolleyes:

anplaya27 wrote: »
    I saw his criminal record/rap sheet posted online. Why doesnt anyone mention those things. They are extremely violent and shocking crimes he committed. Obviously it doesnt excuse what the cops did to him. But tbh if I saw an article about someone with violent convinctions like his dying I'd think no loss to society, whatever colour they were. The poor victims of his horrific crimes.
    That’s why.

Maybe discussed earlier in this thread but I find the destruction of medical equipment and water station for a peaceful protest even more indefensible than the shoving of the old man. Like what is the logic behind that? Inflict as much damage as possible on the citizens we protect?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/501050-north-carolina-mayor-denounces-disappointing-moment-after-police-destroy%3famp

Property destruction is only outrageous when it’s not the cops doing it..

2u2me wrote: »
    It's a hypothetical question. If the red cross set up behind a terrorist organization I would have no problem them being shut down.

I suppose you would defend what happened to that Red Cross hospital under the Obama administration, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,557 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

walshb wrote: »
    Ok, I am saying it..

Wait everyone! Stop! walshb has spoken!!

I mean, look at this mayhem.

https://twitter.com/TaylorPopielarz/status/1268341580899004417?s=19

Open your eyes man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

Another angle, scum throwing **** at the cops and horses

https://www.facebook.com/move.wiser/posts/3229286060456239

Supposedly one of them threw a flare at the horse that bolted off

• Registered Users Posts: 21,557 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Considering the harm done from cutting police budgets wonder what people think the consequences of cutting funding for the police will be.

Here's a wild idea. Maybe it will lead to an increase in crime and a further breakdown in order?

Who do you think is worse funded, the police who still seem to be fully kitted out in riot gear, or nurses who have to wear plastic bags as ppe, or teachers who have to buy crayons for their kids with money from their own pockets?

• Advertisement

For what it's worth I am living in the us and I am feeling the social pressure to participate in peaceful protest but I am undecided because I have watched the demands made in my city and they are unrealistic. It's blm mixed with free health and education and everything else we ever wanted. It's not focused, not clear enough. Defunding police and funding social programs added in now. I just don't see the impact there. Now increase inheritance tax to break generational wealth and I see an impact but that's just me.

You can go out there and Picket anything you want. Some people want haircuts others want healthcare. You could be out there against coconut ice cream if you wanted. If you just want to be against brutality that’s a thing to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement