Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,792 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Why should his past transgressions be used as his murder pic? He did crimes, did his time.. if people are never allowed to move past these, why do we have a justice system, prisons to serve time for crimes if we can never let them move on if they want to.

let them move on, absolutely. that was a bad example (i cant pick any others of you're asking) i used but the point still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The amount of young protesters in America praying during these protests. The influence of religion is almost gone in Europe and still huge in America.

Of course religion has been used to justify racism in America. So it's an odd feature of protesters to be religious?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

so there are examples?

look, i'm simply saying that media release certain pictures that drive and support their political leanings.

I’m not talking about the media. I’m talking about the police, protecting their own by letting these two arrested and booked officers shower, shave, and put on their best Sunday suits. The Blue Wall of silence. They’d have put halos above their head if it wasn’t too on the nose.

2u2me wrote: »
    That's kind of like saying, "Sure look at Obama, Oprah and Shaq. Black people are doing just fine in America".

I've been reading about the police unions recently, they all seem to be asking for more money.
    Gear and equipment is pretty cheap relatively; the real cost is pensions, wages, insurance, etc..

apparently the biggest problems with the unions is that your record is cleared every 4 (i think) years.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

Just seen this on the BBC website;

"Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian has resigned from the tech firm's board and urged the company to replace him with a black candidate"

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52941981

• Advertisement

The amount of young protesters in America praying during these protests. The influence of religion is almost gone in Europe and still huge in America.

Of course religion has been used to justify racism in America. So it's an odd feature of protesters to be religious?

I don’t see anything odd about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

so there are examples?

look, i'm simply saying that media release certain pictures that drive and support their political leanings.

He is the victim in this instance, to use a mug shot iirc was from his teen years as a picture to represent his murder is pretty weird tbh.

He's the victim, not the perpetrator. It's nothing to to do with politics, I think you're way off base on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Beasty wrote: »
    Just for everyone else's benefit particularly as search is not working someone did post something about this the other day. From recollection it was claimed to have happened somewhere in the West/South-West, but when challenged the poster who made the claim did not, I think, provide anything to back-up their claim

There's plenty more about what happened here; of course you won't see anything about it in the mainstream media for obvious reasons.

https://twitter.com/gearoidmurphy_/status/1269279522475724802

Overheal wrote: »
    I don’t see anything odd about it.

I just couldn't see young people doing that now in Ireland. Most young people probably don't identify as religious anymore here.

So it does seem unusual but it underlines just how popular religion is in America and this is probably part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,557 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I just couldn't see young people doing that now in Ireland. Most young people probably don't identify as religious anymore here.

So it does seem unusual but it underlines just how popular religion is in America and this is probably part of the problem.

What do you mean by this?

• Advertisement

I’m not talking about the media. I’m talking about the police, protecting their own by letting these two arrested and booked officers shower, shave, and put on their best Sunday suits. The Blue Wall of silence. They’d have put halos above their head if it wasn’t too on the nose.

well then i misunderstood. are you talking about their mugshots (rather than media pictures)?

they should be taken the way you are.

Now, my guess. There were told by the station captain (or whoever), that they are to present themselves for arrest on monday morning at 7am (whatever time), and to make themselves look young, naive, etc.
    if they were already booked in, well then that defo shouldn't happen and questions should be asked about it. at the very least, something along the lines of:

how did someone booked into custody get the equipment required to shave.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

iguana wrote: »
    The Guardian article posted earlier had a medical 'expert' saying protesters need to weigh up their own risks and make their own choices about whether they should protest or not. For months and months the healthy among us have, rightly, been told 'it's not about you.' Most of us haven't endured social distancing and lockdown in order to protect ourselves but to protect the most vulnerable members of our society and our healthcare systems and the people who work in them. But all of a sudden it's 'weigh up your own risks?'

A big problem is most of these people have been forming their politics in a social media bubble of people who all think alike. I do suspect that they are massively overestimating the anger of the ordinary people who have sacrificed massively. Just as Johnson and Cummings underestimated how angry people were about Cummings breaking the lockdown. Everyone has just gone through something real and hard. Seeing that possibly all being for nothing is very hard to take.

I think/hope that the community spread in Ireland is low enough that the protests here won't have too bad an effect. But in the UK and especially the US, the consequences have the potential to be dire. Even in the US if you are mildly sick you could end up with insane levels of debt. I needed a chest x-ray, ECG and blood tests in April. I've spent most of the last 12 weeks in bed. I've been on and still am on a mini pharmacy of medications. If I was in the US I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up having to borrow against my house to pay for it.

The Irish protest I will somewhat give the benefit of doubt to health wise as social distancing much easier to enforce and mask wearing was rampant.

American politicians though mainly from the left though who have executive orders in cities regarding tight lockdowns however are flouting these rules for mere political capital and that makes them hypocrites and I can understand how people are annoyed by it.

And yeah I know the political right in America overall have handled covid bar a few exceptions awfully but two wrongs etc.

He is the victim in this instance, to use a mug shot iirc was from his teen years as a picture to represent his murder is pretty weird tbh.

He's the victim, not the perpetrator. It's nothing to to do with politics, I think you're way off base on this.

yeah i got that after googling, so yeah. was way off base there.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Modern day Ireland, everyone. We've got so much to look forward to.

https://twitter.com/jenny87797866/status/1269382094054133761

What do you mean by this?

White supremists use religion to justify racism towards black people and Jewish people.

well then i misunderstood. are you talking about their mugshots (rather than media pictures)?

they should be taken the way you are.

Now, my guess. There were told by the station captain (or whoever), that they are to present themselves for arrest on monday morning at 7am (whatever time), and to make themselves look young, naive, etc.
    if they were already booked in, well then that defo shouldn't happen and questions should be asked about it. at the very least, something along the lines of:

how did someone booked into custody get the equipment required to shave.

My point pretty much. Every opportunity to paint their department in the best light.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    The Irish protest I will somewhat give the benefit of doubt to health wise as social distancing much easier to enforce and mask wearing was rampant.

American politicians though mainly from the left though who have executive orders in cities regarding tight lockdowns however are flouting these rules for mere political capital and that makes them hypocrites and I can understand how people are annoyed by it.

And yeah I know the political right in America overall have handled covid bar a few exceptions awfully but two wrongs etc.

America doesn't have a Left.

Even Biden agreed that protesters could be shot if misbehaving, although he said in the legs, not the heart!

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    There's plenty more about what happened here; of course you won't see anything about it in the mainstream media for obvious reasons.

Because it’s Ireland and “the mainstream media” is busy reporting on what’s happening in America?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

I looked up that guy Gearoid Murphy. I watched his video about it.

While I agree with many of his premises, media radicalizing people; pc culture coming to Ireland etc.. etc..

"It appears to have happened in Limerick"
    "We don't know where, we don't know who's involved"

The further 'proof' is just a screenshot of an e-mail with details redacted.

Do you have any other details about it?

2u2me wrote: »
    I looked up that guy Gearoid Murphy. I watched his video about it.

While I agree with many of his premises, media radicalizing people; pc culture coming to Ireland etc.. etc..

"It appears to have happened in Limerick"
    "We don't know where, we don't know who's involved"

The further 'proof' is just a screenshot of an e-mail with details redacted.

Do you have any other details about it?

I looked a bit through the timeline of the account, it's suspect imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

My point pretty much. Every opportunity to paint their department in the best light.

A thing we also see when the MSM don't like someone you must admit.

For example look up a photo of Tommy Robinson :P.

I wish there was a fair standard for these things, but they're all playing the same game.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://twitter.com/TommyKenneth98/status/1269208292578021383?s=19

It's easy to post a tweet with an unsubstantiated rumour. The reality is that you, like the rest of us, haven't a clue what actually happened.

It's easy to post a tweet with an unsubstantiated rumour. The reality is that you, like the rest of us, haven't a clue what actually happened.

One way to lose any credibility, be lumped in with Gemma and her thoughts of things!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,657 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

The notion that somebody deserves to be beaten to the ground and then kicked for any reason is repugnant.

Let's say for arguments sake that this young lad in limerick is a steaming racist and unloaded a diatribe against his assailants, do his actions in turn necessitate, or justify the reaction of violence, and violence that continues when the person on the receiving end is in a prone position on the ground?

Had a group of white youths participated in the same behaviour with a black youth on the receiving end of the violent attack would we be citing mitigating circumstances?

Violence is unacceptable in a civilized society. It cannot be justified in any setting. It isn't some sort of a la carte system in which you can pick and choose the type of situations and participants where violence is acceptable. Anyone defending this on a thread which is based on an act of violence against an innocent person should be taking a good long look at themselves. Grow up.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Strange that the 2 black guys don’t mention any racist abuse in the video. They go on about slavery and other ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Strange that the 2 black guys don’t mention any racist abuse in the video. They go on about slavery and other ****e.

How do you know the guy recording was black?

I shared a pic yesterday of the guy in a wheel chair, I was sure that there'd be video of the incidence, I've yet to see anything of it, it happened in LA from the info of the pic, has anyone seen anything of it?

The worst brutality I've seen is this video, he's been peppered sprayed and then gets shot in the face with something from close range.

https://v.redd.it/w6gbykiyqg251

There's also the one where the young guy is stood on the embankment of a highway and gets shot in the head with something, The attacks on reporters is something that should not be forgotten about either, these incidents are the lowest of the low, they are there to record the events unfolding not be the story, yet it has happened a lot more and deliberately because of the actions of the police.

How do you know the guy recording was black?

We actually have no idea what his skin colour is. What we do know is that he was party to an criminal assault, he could have intervened in stopping it but instead chose to record the incident on his phone.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Why would they mention slavery if it wasn't brought up by the other person? You think black people go around getting angry and shouting about slavery all the time? As I said, it's all guesswork because none of us were there.

• Advertisement

Why would they mention slavery if it wasn't brought up by the other person? You think black people go around getting angry and shouting about slavery all the time? As I said, it's all guesswork because none of us were there.

We don't have to guess about their reaction.

They beat this person to the ground and kicked him whilst he was on the ground and recorded it on a phone.

Is this acceptable?

Glazers Out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement