Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Well I just seen a child getting stabbed by African scum in Cork you lefty scum defending these scum can **** right off! This is what you wanted and now you got it! Hope your happy and enjoy defending these animals! Criminals the lot of them! Same for the Antifa scum on here!

https://twitter.com/ProfWolfhound/status/1269415412023939076?s=19

Just to say, I don't think it's right to post link to that for the victim's sake.

Also apparently the person involved there has been arrested.

Hopefully that thug will be sorted out. No judge is letting that go.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭PhantomHat

2u2me wrote: »
    It was in another thread reported he is in hospital currently a little while ago.

Thank you. This BLM furore has started to agitate some people and unfortunately in some cases in a very drastic and disturbing way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Dan Dicks at BLM rally in Vancouver surrounded and assaulted by crowd gets arrested by police.

This is the direction I see us going in this country.

What's that saying about winning stupid prizes?
    It's been used here about the rioters, even if you're peacefully protesting if you're getting caught up in the riots hey ho.

Don't try to use this to further your stance, you'll look stupid! Call it for what it is, police brutality/stupidity whatever.. fcuking stupidity that he's getting arrested there, like so many other protesters

• Registered Users Posts: 21,558 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    This is the kind of utter vermin that's in the country now.

Why do you think a place in Ireland was known as stab city several decades ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,792 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

I think the main goal is police accountability, at the same time I think it has become a bigger socioeconomic issue. Will it be addressed now? No absolutely not, that'll take a few generations. Does it negate their voice here and now? Also No.

so we pretty much agree on that.

police body cams on all officers at all times. maybe a backup cos they seem to 'malfunction' quite frequently.

id get rid of no knock warrants cos that seems to lead to unnecessary deaths.

both the above are on the cops but no senator wants to do this.

i'd also do away with the police unions. they expunge records every 4 (?) years. maybe not the unions, but that in particular.

i'd bring in tazers, and make those the 1st port of call unless you are ~80% sure the person has a firearm and your life/partner/innocent is in imminent danger. your body cam can (dis)prove.

im sure there's more measures.

all the above seem reasonable to me. no excessive burden on anyone. hell, if there is you could have thing like: you have the taser, if s/he goes to grab a gun your partner can shoot him. i dunno. this farce of hiding behind the shield needs to end.

• Advertisement

again, what do they want to achieve? you dont blindly protest without a goal in mind,

what do the protesters want? and be specific if you can.

They want to have a situation where all citizens can reasonably be expected to be treated the same by the police and that none of the citizens will experience excessive force by the police in the act of carrying out their duties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

It's been used here about the rioters, even if you're peacefully protesting if you're getting caught up in the riots hey ho.

Don't try to use this to further your stance, you'll look stupid! Call it for what it is, police brutality/stupidity whatever.. fcuking stupidity that he's getting arrested there, like so many other protesters

Playing stupid prizes is referring to people directly challenging the police when they are dressed up in riot gear and lined up in a row. We bestow police authority to use force when necessary. (During a lockdown and curfew)

This man was at a demonstration and filming it, in Canada where surely no one would say there is sytemic racism. The police are there first and foremost to stop things like this happening, to stop those with power oppressing those without it. False equivalence in my eyes. No other protestor was arrested there. There was no threat of violence coming from anybody except the protestors.

What's on show here is the dangerous ideology that has brainwashed large parts of the world, interesectionality. Canada has run amok with it, look at their PM Justin Trudeau. Mister "It's people-kind nowadays ok, to be more inclusive"

They want to have a situation where all citizens can reasonably be expected to be treated the same by the police and that none of the citizens will experience excessive force by the police in the act of carrying out their duties.

Everyone want to be treated equally, thats a given.

i hate to say/ask this, do you have any stats where any group (how do you define that exactly?) of police are bias against another group?

once we establish that, then a delve deeper to try to ascertain if (all/some) of those actions were racially motivated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

For the same crimes there is a far larger disparity in sentencing among the sexes then among races.
    Far more men than women are killed, shot, arrested, antagonised and imprisoned for a longer duration.
    Yet no one is looking to close those disparities.

Also the disparity is large when considering socio-economic background.

so we pretty much agree on that.

police body cams on all officers at all times. maybe a backup cos they seem to 'malfunction' quite frequently.

id get rid of no knock warrants cos that seems to lead to unnecessary deaths.

both the above are on the cops but no senator wants to do this.

i'd also do away with the police unions. they expunge records every 4 (?) years. maybe not the unions, but that in particular.

i'd bring in tazers, and make those the 1st port of call unless you are ~80% sure the person has a firearm and your life/partner/innocent is in imminent danger. your body cam can (dis)prove.

im sure there's more measures.

all the above seem reasonable to me. no excessive burden on anyone. hell, if there is you could have thing like: you have the taser, if s/he goes to grab a gun your partner can shoot him. i dunno. this farce of hiding behind the shield needs to end.

These suggestions are not unreasonable, I agree. There has been an instant of cops not turning on their cams in these protests (I believe they have mostly been) were cops have not switched on their cams only to be found out by way phone cam to show them going far above reasonable force.
    I don't how you have a situation were cams are on all the time, that's a lot of data to store for the police, at the same time we know governments are gobbling up huge amounts of data for the internet points.

• Advertisement

Playing stupid prizes is referring to people directly challenging the police when they are dressed up in riot gear and lined up in a row. We bestow police authority to use force when necessary. (During a lockdown and curfew)

This man was at a demonstration and filming it, in Canada where surely no one would say there is sytemic racism. The police are there first and foremost to stop things like this happening, to stop those with power oppressing those without it. False equivalence in my eyes. No other protestor was arrested there. There was no threat of violence coming from anybody except the protestors.

What's on show here is the dangerous ideology that has brainwashed large parts of the world, interesectionality. Canada has run amok with it, look at their PM Justin Trudeau. Mister "It's people-kind nowadays ok, to be more inclusive"

I'm near sure you have thanked posts that advocate protesters get what comes to them because of the actions of rioters, may be wrong I'll apologize now if I'm wrong. If you stand on the police line you should expect that there will be idiots that will throw stuff their way, he got hit with something, I'm not sure on the reasoning why he gets arrested, I'll put it in the bracket of press being put in the bracket of press being considered as protesters/rioters instead of people being there to record events, it's wrong plain and simple.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

https://twitter.com/JohnGallagherJr/status/1269049255970443264?s=19

"The following was tweeted out by the actor John Gallagher Jr.

++++

I’d like to tell you a story about Bruce Springsteen and the New York City Police Department.

Bruce Springsteen’s song “American Skin (41 Shots)” is a tender, moving ode to Amadou Diallo. Diallo was a 23 year old Guinean immigrant who was shot 19 times by 4 plain clothes cops outside his NYC apartment in 1999. 41 shots were fired. He was unarmed. The cops were acquitted.

When Bruce debuted the song in Atlanta in 2000 it was considered controversial. The largest police union in NYC was like “That’s it! The Boss is cancelled!” They called for the NYPD to boycott Bruce and refuse to offer security for his upcoming shows at Madison Square Garden.

Listening to the song now, it’s hard to imagine what made them so mad. It isn’t angry or accusatory, just sorrowful. It offers up the simple, powerful refrain...

“You can get killed just for living in your American skin.”

It is a stunning song. Give it a listen.

The fact that it made the NYPD so mad tells us a lot about why they are doing what they are doing right now. The party line has always been the same...

Question our authority and become our enemy. It doesn’t matter if you’re a famous rockstar or a citizenry demanding reform.

Last Sunday, Ed Mullins, president of the second largest police union in NYC, tweeted Chiara de Blasio’s arrest record after she was arrested protesting. It included her license info and address. Chiara is the Mayor’s daughter. She’s 25. Mullins has been on the force since 82.

The Sergeants Benevolent Association’s account was briefly suspended because posting people’s private information without their knowledge, also known as doxxing, is a dangerous violation of Twitter Rules. The tweet was removed and Mullins quickly regained control of the account.

In February, Mullins tweeted that members of the NYPD were “declaring war on Mayor de Blasio and did not respect him.” He also tweeted a video that referred to black people as “monsters” and public housing as “war zones.” This is the head of NYC’s second largest police union.

This week he put out a statement praising officers for their recent performance during protests. He proclaimed that the NYPD answered to a “higher power” and will “win the war on New York City.” Then he went on Fox News and begged Trump to call in the National Guard to occupy us.

He told Laura Ingraham that the NYPD was “losing the city of New York.” I guess I’ve been naive all this time because I didn’t realize it belonged to them.

Yesterday the NYPD sought and was granted the right to arrest anyone and hold them for more than 24 hours in crowded jail cells without arraignment while the covid-19 pandemic still looms. This is a rare and stunning suspension of habeas corpus.

To recap, the president of the second largest police union in New York City publicly declared war on both its mayor and its citizens in the last four months. It’s not making many headlines right now but it seems like a red flag and a pretty big deal to me!

The thing about Mullins is, cops love him! He’s been a union boss since 2002. They love that he visits Trump in D.C. and trashes the Dem Mayor and owns the libs on his divisive, partisan Twitter account. How do you change that? How do you fix what doesn’t see itself as broken?

Make no mistake. The police are in full on revenge mode now and it will only get uglier. If a Springsteen song can get under their skin and set them off then surely they are fuming at having their absolute power and immunity threatened and defied so brazenly on the world stage.

But what did we expect? In 2017, our POTUS gave a speech on camera in which he gleefully encouraged New York cops to be violent when performing arrests as rows of uniformed police officers laughed and applauded from the bleachers behind him. Where did we think this would lead us?"

For the same crimes there is a far larger disparity in sentencing among the sexes then among races.
    Far more men than women are killed, shot, arrested, antagonised and imprisoned for a longer duration.
    Yet no one is looking to close those disparities.

Also the disparity is large when considering socio-economic background.

If you feel that is the case, ad you feel strongly enough about it, you should start a protest.

These suggestions are not unreasonable, I agree. There has been an instant of cops not turning on their cams in these protests (I believe they have mostly been) were cops have not switched on their cams only to be found out by way phone cam to show them going far above reasonable force.
    I don't how you have a situation were cams are on all the time, that's a lot of data to store for the police, at the same time we know governments are gobbling up huge amounts of data for the internet points.

2 cameras. 1 on the shoulder, a redundancy on their chest, or whatever. data storage aint a problem.

if you cant afford it, sacrifice like .000005% of the military budget.

or each force, could sacrifice like 3 automatic weapons for that. you guys arent preparing for an invasion! scale back on the firearms, invest to stuff that benefits your residents right now

Everyone want to be treated equally, thats a given.

i hate to say/ask this, do you have any stats where any group (how do you define that exactly?) of police are bias against another group?

once we establish that, then a delve deeper to try to ascertain if (all/some) of those actions were racially motivated.

Some information here
    Roughly 1,000 people are shot to death by police officers every year, and after analyzing those deaths, Miller and his co-authors found that black Americans were twice as likely to be shot and killed by police officers, compared with their representation in the population.

Previous research, including the Washington Post's fatal force project, which had logged deadly police shootings since 2015, has come to similar conclusions about police officers disproportionately killing black Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Don't try to use this to further your stance, you'll look stupid! Call it for what it is, police brutality/stupidity whatever.. fcuking stupidity that he's getting arrested there, like so many other protesters[/quot

150 people?

s1ippy wrote: »
    But what did we expect? In 2017, our POTUS gave a speech on camera in which he gleefully encouraged New York cops to be violent when performing arrests as rows of uniformed police officers laughed and applauded from the bleachers behind him. Where did we think this would lead us?"

Don't have to go back to 2017, just this week on a conference call he strongly advocated the use of force to state governors and practically pleaded with them to get the National Guard involved.

come on, you're better than that.

"black Americans were twice as likely to be shot and killed by police officer"

what % of black Americans commit armed crime?

what % are shot by their own race/another race?

2 cameras. 1 on the shoulder, a redundancy on their chest, or whatever. data storage aint a problem.

if you cant afford it, sacrifice like .000005% of the military budget.

or each force, could sacrifice like 3 automatic weapons for that. you guys arent preparing for an invasion! scale back on the firearms, invest to stuff that benefits your residents right now

Obama scaled back the ability of police forces to buy military equipment, trump rowed back on that, imo just because Obama!!!
    I agree with your post man, there is avenues to lessen things here, they should look to grab onto these things, the time is calling for it.

YFlyer wrote: »

Don't try to use this to further your stance, you'll look stupid! Call it for what it is, police brutality/stupidity whatever.. fcuking stupidity that he's getting arrested there, like so many other protesters[/quot

150 people?

???? 150 people what?

• Advertisement

???? 150 people what?

Did you watch the clip?

come on, you're better than that.

"black Americans were twice as likely to be shot and killed by police officer"

what % of black Americans commit armed crime?

what % are shot by their own race/another race?

I didn't carry out the research, maybe reach out to those who wrote the article, or those who carried out the research and tell them that they are presenting false representations of what is going on.

In terms of what % commit armed crime, absolutely most is committed by black people. Black people who have been raised in disenfranchised neighborhoods. Check out some publications on the school to prison pipeline to see how many African Americans are destined to end up in engaging in criminal activity.

You might also check out the arrest of Dylan Roof versus the treatment Eric Garner experienced to see if the treatment was warranted. One had killed 9 people, the other was selling counterfeit cigarrettes.

Obama scaled back the ability of police forces to buy military equipment, trump rowed back on that, imo just because Obama!!!
    I agree with your post man, there is avenues to lessen things here, they should look to grab onto these things, the time is calling for it.

it should be simple enough. if someone gets rejected from the military, dont let the have a job in authority - theres a reason the military rejected them.

i have no doubt trump made some decisions to spite obama. silly really, but we are where we are.

and the election in November will just be as divisive (looking forward to those debates!)

people hate trump, but when you ask them why; they usually give some meandering nothing answer. if you dont like him, cool! the reason he gets (i think) the votes if people were sick of/still sick of this pandering to nonsense.

the whole last election, even now: 'trump is racist'. i usually just ask for an example.

@Yflyer yes I watched it. What is your problem with my posts on it?

@Yflyer yes I watched it. What is your problem with my posts on it?

He exaggerate the amount of people.

it should be simple enough. if someone gets rejected from the military, dont let the have a job in authority - theres a reason the military rejected them.

i have no doubt trump made some decisions to spite obama. silly really, but we are where we are.

and the election in November will just be as divisive (looking forward to those debates!)

people hate trump, but when you ask them why; they usually give some meandering nothing answer. if you dont like him, cool! the reason he gets (i think) the votes if people were sick of/still sick of this pandering to nonsense.

the whole last election, even now: 'trump is racist'. i usually just ask for an example.

This is something I get quite frustrated with, people just think other people dislike Trump because it's a position they have adopted or they are incapable of considering him objectively.

I would not vote for Trump because I think he has failed on virtually every element by which I think a President should be more than capable at. Understanding the root of a problem, diplomacy, allowing the most qualified person on a topic to speak on that topic, building relationships, forward thinking, respecting scientific contributions to strategic policy discussions, sets a positive example and a genuine desire for better lives for everyone in their country. The only thing which I think a President should have which he could possibly be said to possess is a sense of national pride. But he even uses that more to be argumentative and divisive than how it should be used.

Now, maybe the fact that there are more than 100 words in that response, you will think that that is a meandering answer so here is the TLDR version.
    He has proven he is not up to the task.

I've no figures at hand for military people falling back to police.. imo they should not be considered at all, if you've served in military that should be a big reason to not be in police. It's a totally different application, can people reform themselves yes, I would be on the side of caution with them.
    Trump without doubt that has an open mind, is a racist, he whistles to them if he isn't he without doubt he whistles to them this is hugely poloarising. Its not good for US politics. By proxy it's not good for everyone else in the world.
    Has the left been good in this situation, no absolutely not they've fallen into a trap.

He exaggerate the amount of people.

The amount of people what? I don't recall me saying any numbers in my posts about the video.. my posts have been general speaking iirc

The amount of people what? I don't recall me saying any numbers in my posts about the video.. my posts have been general speaking iirc

I was commenting on what ths guy said on the video.

• Advertisement

I was commenting on what ths guy said on the video.

I was more focused the events of what was happening in the clip then what was being spoke. Sorry, still no idea what the 150 is about

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement