Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sniper69

CNN has a live feed at the moment on the looting and destruction of property and to
    my horror they are showing the/a police station with police and workers inside it and on the roof while a massive mob is outside who are throwing rocks and cement blocks at the windows and have set it on fire with all the people still in it. Roasting innocent people alive is not an acceptable form of protest. Nor is looting nor burning down family businesses and deatroying homes.

I am sick at what I am seeing.
    Nor could I watch the video of the ‘arrest’

This world and some of the subhumans in it can be a horrifying place.

Its acceptable. The whole system is corrupt. Revolution is coming. If the National Guard fires on protestors you’ll see a cascade of uprising from multiple states.

This concerns the militia types who hang out in the forests.

Remember this started because of a fake 20 dollar bill.

The underlying issues lead to

4 cops murdering a man in broad daylight.

This is the community pointing out the underlying issues

Again

Because they're always pointed out

And ignored.

They're always pointed out

And ignored.

This is what it is

To point them out

Again

When 4 cops murder a man in broad daylight.

Well no one’s ignoring them now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,422 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Sniper69 wrote: »
    The ‘Intelligent debate’ of 1773 was to loot British corporations.

The ‘intelligent debate’ of 2020 is to loot US corporations.

This is the only direct action for legislative change. Even the public execution of Chauvin wont be enough. There has to be lasting change.

Well the Patriots behind the Boston Tea party tried to downplay it as it was quite unpopular action by revolutionaries at the time because of its impact. And the action nearly split the revolutionary movement.

Also, they didn't loot the British corporations. They boarded the wrong ships which were American owned and filled with Chinese tea, not the 'Kings'.

All Eyes On Rafah

Its acceptable. The whole system is corrupt. Revolution is coming. If the National Guard fires on protestors you’ll see a cascade of uprising from multiple states.

That's not revolution, you're talking about civil war.

All Eyes On Rafah

That's not revolution, you're talking about civil war.

From the British perspective, it was civil war. They shouldve just given taxation with representation.

The answer is so blatantly obvious. Convictions and accountability.

• Advertisement

Well the Patriots behind the Boston Tea party tried to downplay it as it was quite unpopular action by revolutionaries at the time because of its impact. And the action nearly split the revolutionary movement.

Also, they didn't loot the British corporations. They boarded the wrong ships which were American owned and filled with Chinese tea, not the 'Kings'.

Word mincing is exactly why the riots are happening. This pedantry is why people are angry. A man was murdered. Arrest the killers. Thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I just want to make sure I'm reading you right...

Are you saying that looting innocent businesses is intelligent debate and an appropriate response to horrific actions carried out by some extremely bad police officers?

Yes. That’s the mentality. Some posters on this thread think that the “gubbermint” owns all the businesses. They’ve never had a job and never will have a job and have no concept of the notion of personal responsibility or providing for themselves.
    So the idea that losing your job because some morons burnt your workplace down is a bad thing, is a totally alien concept to them.
    “Rioting is understandable”. Take that in.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The stunning level of ignorance for those defending these scumbag looters...

Destroying their own people's livelihoods and their own communities welfare...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Burning people alive is acceptable?

Word mincing is exactly why the riots are happening. This pedantry is why people are angry. A man was murdered. Arrest the killers. Thats all.

That's all?

You seem to be calling for revolutions or supporting rioting and burning of private property. How is that arrest the killers and that's all?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: Okay, the thread has gone quite off-topic in the direction of rioting and looting, a topic probably worthy of a thread in itself. Here though, please let's get back on the topic of George Floyd's death, without muddying the waters with other issues.

That's all?

You seem to be calling for revolutions or supporting rioting and burning of private property. How is that arrest the killers and that's all?

Hallmark of a selfish and low IQ person:

My private property! He cries out.

Peoples lives! He does not.

I will say it again: even public executions isn’t enough.

Only direct action will change legislation

joe40 wrote: »
    Do you think their anger is justified.

I know you don't justify the rioting, but can you understand where the anger is coming from.

I don't justify their anger-response.

It's the response of animals, not civilized and democratic people.

I would bet a lot could not give a toss about the poor man who died. It's an excuse to steal and rob and riot.

Extremely blatant deflection.

Sorry but its too late to shift blame.

They made George Floyd a martyr.

Its not about the rioting. Brick and mortar matter less than lives

You try so hard to make the protestors the villains

But all you are: bootlickers.

Tell me the next time your neck is crushed by police

How you want to debate

• Registered Users Posts: 23,706 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Struggling to see how burning down a Target store and stealing TVs brings justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: @Sniper69 - I gave you the benefit of the doubt with an earlier post, which you seemingly ignored. Don't post in the thread again.

I know, but that wasn't what I asked. Do you think their anger is justified.
    It is clear you don't support the anger response.

Their anger and response are directly linked....

Of course people will be angry due to what happened to George Floyd.

I justify the anger of those that are sincerely and genuinely angry.

The response of anyone looting and robbing and rioting is pure scumbag.

Hallmark of a selfish and low IQ person:

My private property! He cries out.

Peoples lives! He does not.

I will say it again: even public executions isn’t enough.

Only direct action will change legislation

giphy.gif

Edit: nevermind he's gone.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

walshb wrote: »
    Their anger and response are directly linked....

Of course people will be angry due to what happened to George Floyd.

I justify the anger of those that are sincerely and genuinely angry.

The response of anyone looting and robbing and rioting is pure scumbag.

The rioting is not justified, but in all parts of the world it is the usual outcome when a community feels victimised and ignored.
    Derry, Belfast, Brixton, Hong Kong the list goes on.
    Rioting is usually the symptom of underlying injustice.
    This is only sorted and solved when the causes of the rioting are solved or at least addressed. Force alone does not restore order.

The paratroopers thought they would sort out trouble makers by force and made everything far worse.
    Trump now talking about shooting looters..

They never learn.

The rioting is not justified, but in all parts of the world it is the usual outcome when a community feels victimised and ignored.
    Derry, Belfast, Brixton, Hong Kong the list goes on.
    Rioting is usually the symptom of underlying injustice.
    This is only sorted and solved when the causes of the rioting are solved or at least addressed. Force alone does not restore order.

The paratroopers thought they would sort out trouble makers by force and made everything far worse.
    Trump now talking about shooting looters..

They never learn.

Shooting looters/rioters has always been spoken about. But Trump is an absolute menace. Bull in a china shop mentality.

When a community is under threat and there is anarchy and looting and rioting, then the state and its resources (which are the people) can come down very heavy to restore law and order.....and they need to.

I haven't read yet, but have people died since the looting and rioting began? If so, then there needs to be really swift and firm action taken to quell this madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Struggling to see how burning down a Target store and stealing TVs brings justice.

They have been ignored and vilified for all the other forms of protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,765 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Shooting looters/rioters has always been spoken about

When a community is under threat and there is anarchy and looting and rioting, then the state and its resources (which are the people) can come down very heavy to restore law and order.....and they need to.

I haven't read yet, but have people died since the looting and rioting began? If so, then there needs to be really swift and firm action taken to quell this madness.

I’m open to correction but when New Orleans was looted yesterday there was lethal force authorization but George W Bush didn’t get on the set and call anyone thugs, or call out the leftist mayor or the fake news weather people or use the platform to threaten shootings.

Donald Trump is finding new wrong ways to President on a daily basis.

Overheal wrote: »
    I’m open to correction but when New Orleans was looted yesterday there was lethal force authorization but George W Bush didn’t get on the set and call anyone thugs, or call out the leftist mayor or the fake news weather people or use the platform to threaten shootings.

Donald Trump is finding new wrong ways to President on a daily basis.

I mentioned in my post Trump. The man is a menace.....a danger....

Looters and rioters here are thugs.....scum! It's scum behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,603 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Oh like getting Chauvin back on the case? He could say they are resisting arrest again, we know he likes swift and firm action against any black people!

pjohnson wrote: »
    Oh like getting Chauvin back on the case? He could say they are resisting arrest again, we know he likes swift and firm action against any black people!

No, not him. He is suspended/fired anyway, isn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Struggling to see how kneeling on someone's neck until he dies brings justice either.

Society is dysfunctional when property is damaged in riots. But it's much, much more dysfunctional when four police officers can slowly kill a man in a public place in front of witnesses who are recording the event, and can do so displaying any indication that they think they might ever be called to account for this.

If you live in a society which is as dysfunctional at that, the relatively minor dysfunction of attack on property is the least of your worries, and its not a worry that you can effectively address without first of all addressing the much bigger dysfunction that precedes it.

And - not talking about you, here, Kermit - if you only saw the dysfunction when stores were attacked and TVs were looted, then you're part of the problem. Buildings are being burned and TVs are being looted because that's what has to happen to make you notice that something is profoundly wrong.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Struggling to see how kneeling on someone's neck until he dies brings justice either.

Society is dysfunctional when property is damaged in riots. But it's much, much more dysfunctional when four police officers can slowly kill a man in a public place in front of witnesses who are recording the event, and can do so displaying any indication that they think they might ever be called to account for this.

If you live in a society which is as dysfunctional at that, the relatively minor dysfunction of attack on property is the least of your worries, and its not a worry that you can effectively address without first of all addressing the much bigger dysfunction that precedes it.

And - not talking about you, here, Kermit - if you only saw the dysfunction when stores were attacked and TVs were looted, then you're part of the problem. Buildings are being burned and TVs are being looted because that's what has to happen to make you notice that something is profoundly wrong.

That is nonsense. And your condoning this type of reaction and behavior is what is wrong. It is anarchy. And no civilized and democratic society can or should tolerate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I mentioned in my post Trump. The man is a menace.....a danger....

Looters and rioters here are thugs.....scum! It's scum behaviour.

We're agreed on Trump but even your use of the word "scum" shows zero effort to understand where the anger is coming from, to understand why people may behave in a certain way.
    These riots were totally predictable and will get worse unless America gets to grips with it's policing issues.
    We are only seeing the brutality that is filmed, that will only ever be a small sample.
    That is difficult and requires societal change. Much easier to just call one group scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It doesn't. It's an expression of rage and frustration from a group of people who have, throughout the history of America, been under the boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Peregrinus wrote: »

I'd say you are wrong, you are seeing this as a wedge issue, that keeps this problem from being solved, its good politics for a certain types.
    As a contrast, when AIDS broke out in the 80's the gay community framed the issue as something that could effect everyone and by doing this everyone was motivated to combat AIDs.
    White people are killed unnecessarily by Police too but the narrative and media narrative is to write them out of the story, so it will never get solved, rinse and repeat.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement