Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I was more focused the events of what was happening in the clip then what was being spoke. Sorry, still no idea what the 150 is about

Well watch it again. Going to sleep now. As in physically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

s1ippy wrote: »

*At the risk of being labeled a racist/misogynist/Nazi etc....

I remember that case. This is the guy who matched the description of a serial rapist in the area. In fairness to the cops, Diallo ran when approached by them. They ordered him to stop and fired a warning shot before the fatal shot. Why did he run? Its the same as the Floyd situation - nothing to do with skin colour, its all about divide and conquer politics

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

You shouldn't make assumptions like that.

It's quite narrow minded and shows that you are prejudiced.

Are you willing to apologise?

"I assume you are a black male?" - a post you yourself made in another thread. Is it okay for you to make assumptions about someone else's colour and gender? Did you apologise? Quite hypocritical of you then to criticise someone else for making assumptions. I won't stoop to your level though and accuse you of being prejudiced based on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

I remember that case. This is the guy who matched the description of a serial rapist in the area. In fairness to the cops, Diallo ran when approached by them. They ordered him to stop and fired a warning shot before the fatal shot. Why did he run? Its the same as the Floyd situation - nothing to do with skin colour, its all about divide and conquer politics

If I was a black male in America I'd do my best to avoid the cops at all costs. So yeah, there's a fair chance I'd panic and run when approached.

As a black man your life is expendable over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

Imo black people play the racist card too much.
    Not everything is racist
    Some people are just *****
    I'm sure that cop has mistreated a white man at some point

• Advertisement

smilerf wrote: »
    Imo black people play the racist card too much.

+1000

There was a BLM woman on 2FM (shudder) the other day. She was asked to give an example of racism she has suffered in Ireland. She said someone in the canteen in her job "commented on the smell of her food".

I mean seriously, I get annoyed if someone eats smelly/fishy food near me and I don't care weather they are white or black, their race doesn't even come into the equation.

"I assume you are a black male?" - a post you yourself made in another thread. Is it okay for you to make assumptions about someone else's colour and gender? Did you apologise? Quite hypocritical of you then to criticise someone else for making assumptions. I won't stoop to your level though and accuse you of being prejudiced based on it.

I assumed that because the social media links he has up in his signature and his opening post suggest that he is. I was requesting clarification.

Quite different than making an assumption about people's experiences. I mean, I doubt you would do that in many other scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

You know it's an election year when America start rioting over black lives.
    fx9fv8bt55351.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭quokula

biko wrote: »
    fx9fv8bt55351.png

The July 2016 protest (which you’ve decided to call a riot to really nail your colours to the mast) was in response to multiple bystanders recording footage of a black man Alton Sterling who was subdued and held to the ground by a group of police, being shot point blank multiple times until he was dead. The police said he was reaching for a gun, which eye witnesses dispute and certainly doesn’t look to be the case on the video.

But yes, I’m sure it was all about being an election year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/teen-hospitalised-following-stabbing-during-cork-assault-1003815.html

So what time are we going looting at? Do we now assume all black people are racist. Will our government leaders condemn this. Will the media even mention the colour of the perpetrators skin?

Do not look at the video they took of this incident that’s all over Twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

More wholesome clips of rioters attacking people this time in San Jose . Rioters blocked the highway and attempted to pull people from their cars. They smashed windows and threw rocks into cars.

In Atlanta rioters stole a Tesla from a dealership and drove it through a shopping mall.

One week after memorial day rioters desecrated world war memorials in Washington.

Time to put an end to these riots.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/teen-hospitalised-following-stabbing-during-cork-assault-1003815.html

So what time are we going looting at? Do we now assume all black people are racist. Will our government leaders condemn this. Will the media even mention the colour of the perpetrators skin?

Do not look at the video they took of this incident that’s all over Twitter.

All the reports are saying "teenager stabbed". It it was a white perpetrator and a black victim all the reports would "black teen stabbed by white teen". Funny, BLM are saying blacks are being oppressed but the opposite is apparent.

---

We need to start a hashtag after this disgraceful racist attack:

#whitelivesmatter

• Registered Users Posts: 16,792 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

same as the dublin riots a few years ago - scum using a cause to defend their own behavior. wish the media would just call it as well though.

RIP to that young man.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

More wholesome clips of rioters attacking people this time in San Jose . Rioters blocked the highway and attempted to pull people from their cars. They smashed windows and threw rocks into cars.

In Atlanta rioters stole a Tesla from a dealership and drove it through a shopping mall.

One week after memorial day rioters desecrated world war memorials in Washington.

Hmmm...San Jose, Atlanta. Both Democrat srongholds. :o

Bambi wrote: »
    Hmmm...San Jose, Atlanta. Both Democrat srongholds. :o

Doesn't matter if they are Democrat or Republican. Not involved members of the public and business owners being attacked and robbed.

Totally spiraled out of control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

+1000

There was a BLM woman on 2FM (shudder) the other day. She was asked to give an example of racism she has suffered in Ireland. She said someone in the canteen in her job "commented on the smell of her food".

I mean seriously, I get annoyed if someone eats smelly/fishy food near me and I don't care weather they are white or black, their race doesn't even come into the equation.

Yeah I remember an African-Irish "community leader" in the Irish Times a few years ago talking about the racist discrimination he encounters from the Gardai when he parks on double yellow lines and they tell him to move, no joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,792 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Doesn't matter if they are Democrat or Republican. Not involved members of the public and business owners being attacked and robbed.

Totally spiraled out of control.

could be wrong here...the states with democrat governors havent called in the national guard thus allowing the riots to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

there is a show on netflix about this case, he did not run because he was in his doorway to his appartment,walls either side of him, had no weapon of any kind,4 cops in front of him opened fire ,41 shots fired at him..yes ...41 ,19 hit him. in a doorway.

murder,forget skin colour,its murder. and they walked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

That doesn’t tell the whole story though. “Compared to their representation in the population”. What about compared to their representation in the violent crime statistics??

there is a show on netflix about this case, he did not run because he was in his doorway to his appartment,walls either side of him, had no weapon of any kind,4 cops in front of him opened fire ,41 shots fired at him..yes ...41 ,19 hit him. in a doorway.

murder,forget skin colour,its murder. and they walked.

The cops were acquitted. It was not murder, end of. Witnesses said he didn't run but all the cops on the scene said he did. I'd take the word of a decorated cop over witnesses any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

The cops were acquitted. It was not murder, end of. Witnesses said he didn't run but all the cops on the scene said he did. I'd take the word of a decorated cop over witnesses any day.

run where exactly? he was in his doorway when they saw him,and thats where he died?

run where exactly? he was in his doorway when they saw him,and thats where he died?

He was standing at the periphery of his building when he was spotted and identified as a potential rapist. The cops approached him and he ran towards his door. Where he was spotted to where his door was is a good few meters IIRC so he ran for a fair few seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

There were also thousands taking part in peaceful protests. There is also widespread support from a large cross section of society.
    It's not all about the looting.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/06/protests-george-floyd-black-lives-matter-saturday

Cops also seem to be realising excessive force is counter productive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

biko wrote: »
    fx9fv8bt55351.png
    Which presidents were elected in 1991 (Rodney King) and 2014 (Ferguson)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

could be wrong here...the states with democrat governors havent called in the national guard thus allowing the riots to happen

It is because cities are far more likely to be Democrat. Of the 20 largest cities in the US, only 3 have republican mayors.

Of those three, two (San Diego, Jacksonville) are in complete disarray over these protests like most other large cities. The third (Fort Worth) is doing very by comparison, but people who prefer the republican party would disapprove of their mayors approach, since she joined the protesters - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/fort-worth-mayor-joins-protesters/2382028/%3famp

joe40 wrote: »
    There were also thousands taking part in peaceful protests. There is also widespread support from a large cross section of society.
    It's not all about the looting.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/06/protests-george-floyd-black-lives-matter-saturday

Cops also seem to be realising excessive force is counter productive

I won't disagree that there are many purely peaceful protests. The way it should be.

Hence why I spoke about rioters. Zero tolerance approach to rioters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

https://twitter.com/SanaSaeed/status/1269407893406826496?s=19

I think they may be serious with the "defund the police" thing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I assumed that because the social media links he has up in his signature and his opening post suggest that he is. I was requesting clarification.

Quite different than making an assumption about people's experiences. I mean, I doubt you would do that in many other scenarios.

And I made the assumption based on the fact that you are a white Irish male, which you've stated yourself elsewhere. As a white Irish male myself, I've never been the victim of racist abuse. Everyone's experience is different of course but it's a reasonable assumption to make that a white Irish male would not generally be subjected to racist abuse. You're just allowing assumptions when it suits you. And saying people shouldn't make assumptions is naive, we all do it on occasion, it's human nature.

https://twitter.com/SanaSaeed/status/1269407893406826496?s=19

I think they may be serious with the "defund the police" thing :pac:

"Abolish the police " Were they expecting him to say yes! Lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Everyone's experience is different of course but it's a reasonable assumption to make that a white Irish male would not generally be subjected to racist abuse.

Not completely uncommon in parts of the UK, especially in NI.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement