Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

niallo27 wrote: »
    So what exactly is white privilege. I worked hard for everything I got, educated myself at my own cost. Should I feel privileged because I had this opportunity. Genuine question. This white privilege crap annoys me, class privilege definitely but I dont see race being a factor.
    You saying you didn't cash in your white card at the local Citizens Information?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,457 ✭✭✭✭walshb

joe40 wrote: »
    You must have a very low opinion of the American police if the only way they can function is through the use of excessive force.
    They could get training from UK or Germany or France or any police from European country that manage to carry out policing without killing their citizen's to such an extent.

No police force is perfect but is that the only two options perfection or what exists at the minute which is quite simply carnage.

Could you imagine the RUC at the height of the troubles when they were under constant attack doing what Chauvin did. And the RUC were far from perfect.

I imagine farting will always be allowed

I never said the only way to police is through “excessive” force.

And there are a cohort people giving out stink because cops are stopping them.

This mass protest is about everything the cops are doing that they think constitutes brutality and unfairness. Not just giving out about physical acts by police towards Black people..

Should the cops now refuse to engage Black people at all? Because it seems that there will be mass hysteria and protest if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,558 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

So what exactly is white privilege. I worked hard for everything I got, educated myself at my own cost. Should I feel privileged because I had this opportunity. Genuine question. This white privilege crap annoys me, class privilege definitely but I dont see race being a factor.

Were you ever in a situation where you felt that no matter what you did, or didn't do, you were likely to be treated unfairly? Because if you weren't, that's the white privilege being referred to.

Are all white people privileged? No.
    Do some white people experience prejudice? Well, what to you think a traveller would say to that? Or someone applying for a job and wondering will their Moyross address affect their chances?

Theres a video of Mohammed Ali in an interview from maybe 50 years ago saying how everything good was white, Jesus, Santa, the White House, Snow white, etc while black was associated with evil or criminal activity, the black sheep of the family, to blackmail someone, to blacklist someone etc.

This ties in to the dislike if the Black Lives Matter slogan being challenged with All Lives Matter. All lives do matter, but black lives have had lived experiences where they are seen to matter less so right now the focus is on ensuring that they do indeed matter. Same with the privilege thing, anyone disenfranchised with being judged because of something they have no control over or which their actions had not warranted a particular behaviour should feel aggrieved. But traditionally, it has been white people who have benefitted most from this privilege.

A friend of mine was flying in to Ireland from Australia a couple of years ago and at the immigration desk in shannon, she was struggling to get her passport open to the right page, the guard on duty said 'go on, you look Irish', that's privilege right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

jibber5000 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1268945330139209729

The most prominent liberal congresswoman in the US wants to disband the police force in Minneapolis.

She's a mad, dangerous bint. What does she want? Sharia courts with canings, stoning, and amputations?

She has a past that is very interesting, and not in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Worra bow the Palestinians Joe? No gives a ****e about them now Joe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Where did you grow up?
    What primary / secondary / third level institutions did you attend?

It’s not difficult to find out exactly what white privilege is, it does involve seeing the world from someone else’s point of view though.

Ali lived in an ear 60 years ago..

The U.S. is not that place anymore.

Black, white and any color in the U.S. are all equal under the law..

jibber5000 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1268945330139209729

The most prominent liberal congresswoman in the US wants to disband the police force in Minneapolis.

Yes, I'm aware of that.
    That's one city.

Not exactly the disbanding of all police forces in the US which was what was implied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

This just poped up on my Facebook:

i8wG2Kv.jpg

What the hell is the world coming to? Know who he was in life??? He was a career criminal who stuck a gun in a woman's face whilst her home was ransacked. A bloody scumbag.

* Disclaimer: didn't deserve to die, don't care about his skin colour etc etc

This just poped up on my Facebook:

i8wG2Kv.jpg

What the hell is the world coming to? Know who he was in life??? He was a career criminal who stuck a gun in a woman's face whilst her home was ransacked. A bloody scumbag.

* Disclaimer: didn't deserve to die, don't care about his skin colour etc etc

Bit his past can’t be discussed in any meaningful way here..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

walshb wrote: »
    I never said the only way to police is through “excessive” force.

And there are a cohort people giving out stink because cops are stopping them.

This mass protest is about everything the cops are doing that they think constitutes brutality and unfairness. Not just giving out about physical acts by police towards Black people..

Should the cops now refuse to engage Black people at all? Because it seems that there will be mass hysteria and protest if not.

From what I have heard it is primarily about the killings. Other things may be talked about but it is the unnecessary killings that are the main problem
    Someone else mentioned the industrial level for profit jail system which is another American disaster.
    I haven't heard much about at that in this context but surely must be eventually reformed.

That's also what they said 60 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Odhinn wrote: »
    Part of the problem is the proliferation of law enforcement forces. There's municipalitiy cops, county and state cops, then the federal cops - FBI, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Homeland security.

You can add in transport police and many colleges have their own police also both with powers and armed. Park police, port authority etc etc etc.

Standing in one area of the US you can be governed by transport, municipal, state and numerous Federal police.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,019 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Where did you grow up?
    What primary / secondary / third level institutions did you attend?

It’s not difficult to find out exactly what white privilege is, it does involve seeing the world from someone else’s point of view though.

Grew up in Clare, educated at LIT, NUIG and UL. So what your saying what I see as normal other people will see as a privilege. In Ireland I think no matter what race you are you would have the same opportunities as I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’d be interested to see statistics that could show how much of the correlation of crimes and arrests in USA is related to financial means. Like for example the average person on income below x with 2 children in jail or trouble with law and then a further breakdown of race once all numbers are crunched.

Whatever about race, USA is a terrible country to be a poor person. I appreciate more non whites are poor proportionately but I’m curious to know what it’s like for poor white people in comparison.

the graph of Americans in poverty by race and police killings by race overlap almost perfectly. Being poor in America is a leading indicator of your chances of being killed by police.

but theres never any protests for a more active police presence, for more enforcement which would rid these disenfranchised communities of crime, they're protesting to reduce police effectiveness in these areas and allow the crime to continue with impunity. 'Disenfranchised' communities want all the handouts and services but rarely want the same level of responsibility. The greatest thing the black panthers ever did for communities in America was acting as police and enforcing against drug dealers, pimps, thieves etc.. , they showed the world that when their own communities could reform that they could have a seat at the table for others to reform with them.

How many kids do you think dream of being gangsters, or drug dealers? Less than a fraction of a percent I imagine, but by the time they are young adults the due has been cast for many in disenfranchised areas as to what they can expect to achieve out of life.

This is partly because of the environment in which they exist, poor or absent role models, poor education supports, poor social outlets or extracurricular activities.

A police force is always going to be needed, but, there needs to be a shift in the priorities of where government funding goes. Hence the calls to defund (not disband) the police.

Is it really a good model to have cops kitted out like action heros while nurses wear bin bag ppe and teachers have to buy supplies out of their own pockets.

Grew up in Clare, educated at LIT, NUIG and UL. So what your saying what I see as normal other people will see as a privilege. In Ireland I think no matter what race you are you would have the same opportunities as I did.

Aye travellers being white and among the most disadvantaged groups in europe.....kinda decimates the white privilge notion for me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    She's a mad, dangerous bint. What does she want? Sharia courts with canings, stoning, and amputations?

She has a past that is very interesting, and not in a good way.

Of course, her being a Muslim means she must be mad for Sharia law. Do enlighten us about what you're referring to in her past?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

How many kids do you think dream of being gangsters, or drug dealers? Less than a fraction of a percent I imagine, but by the time they are young adults the due has been cast for many in disenfranchised areas as to what they can expect to achieve out of life.

This is partly because of the environment in which they exist, poor or absent role models, poor education supports, poor social outlets or extracurricular activities.

A police force is always going to be needed, but, there needs to be a shift in the priorities of where government funding goes. Hence the calls to defund (not disband) the police.

Is it really a good model to have cops kitted out like action heros while nurses wear bin bag ppe and teachers have to buy supplies out of their own pockets.

how many kids dream of being a drug dealer in an area where fathers are present - not many , how many dream of it in an area where the 1 man on the street for 10 houses has a nice car, nice clothes , nice holidays etc... absolutely a lot of them. We have a crisis of absent role models completely, but with heavier police intervention and communities not being afraid to speak up, that dealer down the road would be locked up long before he had the resources to acquire this lifestyle and these goods to be envied.

I do hate the term white privilege been bandied about in Ireland, it has become one of those over used buzzwords.

But it does have a basis of truth in America, probably similar to class privilege that you have acknowledged.

I didn't get anything for nothing, I was reared in a council house and my parents never passed primary school. Perfectly normal at the time 1940s Ireland.

But we were always encouraged in school, whatever we
    needed was provided that is the "advantage" (better word) that I had over some others at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

img-20200607-wa0000-jpg.13706

img-20200607-wa0001-jpg.13708

Of course, her being a Muslim means she must be mad for Sharia law.
    Haven't met a practicing Muslim that didn't deny they'd usher in sharia law to Ireland if given the chance.

how many kids dream of being a drug dealer in an area where fathers are present - not many , how many dream of it in an area where the 1 man on the street for 10 houses has a nice car, nice clothes , nice holidays etc... absolutely a lot of them. We have a crisis of absent role models completely, but with heavier police intervention and communities not being afraid to speak up, that dealer down the road would be locked up long before he had the resources to acquire this lifestyle and these goods to be envied.

And here we are in the circle which the school to prison pipeline enforces.
    Put a guy in jail, he loses meaningful options when he gets out, his kid loses a role model, he loses focus at school, he loses opportunities in positive career options, he considers alternatives, he commits a crime, the cycle repeats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

Yes, I'm aware of that.
    That's one city.

Not exactly the disbanding of all police forces in the US which was what was implied.

If the object is to disband one city's police force they will hardly just leave it at that?

Of note Jacob Freys begging at the feet of the protestors and then being chased away was perhaps the most pathetic image of the weekend. Mob rule in full effect.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1269460338329739264

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Haven't met a Muslim

Got rid of the waffle for you.

Your welcome

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Can you point to where the BLM movement has called for a nationwide disbanding of police forces in the US.

Can you read between the lines? black lives matters never called for violence but they didn't discourage it either. You are in denial if you think there isnt an anti white agenda and black suprmisit undertone in these riots and right thru BLM, nobody of course can speak out about this because the masses of sympathics would burn them at the stake for it.

Americas problem isnt systematic racism which is a load of horse **** aswell imo, its right to the root police brutality.. Black people have every opportunity in the US a white person has,

Its hard to point out real racism these days because its used by the black community as such a crutch at this stage that anything negative to them is racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

That might strictly true in a strict 'letter of the law' sense. However 74% of Americans who live there feel those laws are not enforced evenly for black people, despite them making up less than 15% of the population. That is a problem.

IpsosPoll_GeorgeFloyd_Q3_BroaderProblem_060420_v01_KS_hpEmbed_16x9_992.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Haven't met a practicing Muslim that didn't deny they'd usher in sharia law to Ireland if given the chance.

I've met loads who have no interest in it at all

Got rid of the waffle for you.

Your welcome
    I'll be sure to tell my friend he's not actually a muslim because someone on boards said so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

Have any of these anti police groups written down a list of demands?

Solutions? Protocols? Procedures?

Or is it the vague and dull and easy demand to shout, stop police “brutality?“

Shouting black lives matter? Is this it?

They're mostly asocial unemployable white nerds who would be bate up and down the street by some of their beloved locals if they happened to venture into one of these neighbourhoods after dark. They'd be crying for the police.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement