Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

2u2me wrote: »
    Perhaps you are already aligned with their opinions about things. What about the ones who disagree about systemic racism.

Like most of the people on this thread are quite happy to say that.
    Plenty of people on FB and Twitter quite happy to criticize the idea of systemic racism.

I seriously have felt no pressure to support a particular position one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

All the clones with the placards 'I can't breathe' at all these protests, I wonder should someone write onto one of those pieces of cardboard the words that the victims of his crimes might have uttered "Please don't shoot me" in reference to the aggravated robberies with deadly weapons that Floyd was convicted of. Court papers available online.

Again, the cop should not have killed Floyd, but please spare us all the martyrdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

niallo27 wrote: »
    While not condoning what they did, when you have people roaring abuse at you, throwing rocks at you, beating you, burning down your station you can forgive them for not acting completely rational the whole time.

I saw a heavily armed battalion of police. I saw a 75 year old man. I saw one of them push the pensioner and watch as he cracked his poor old skull in the ground and blood stream out of his ear.

Are you SERIOUSLY going to try and justify that? They stepped over the old man as he lay with a serious head injury inflicted by one of these animals.

What will it take for you to stop being such a bootlicker and actually speak out against police savagery? Do you have to wait until they tase your granny because she didn't get her walker frame out of the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

https://qz.com/1865348/us-unemployment-fell-in-may-but-not-for-black-people/

Have to be careful now before someone calls me racist.

How does this prove anything about what your saying. This is a short term figure, that is very questionable - (I have reservations about the accuracy of these figures due to the political structure in the US), when the ability of one minority over another to flourish is a long term issue.

Should we force white CEOs to resign and make way for black people?

Should we do the same in sports such as basketball and American football? How about sprinting? Black people are hugely over represented. That's unfair isn't it?

Your missing the point.

If black people have every opportunity for success then why are they not being successful? Why don’t the leaders of industry give a better representation of the population?

The answer is either
    1) they aren’t being given the same opportunity or
    2)because they are all less able than other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,028 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I saw a heavily armed battalion of police. I saw a 75 year old man. I saw one of them push the pensioner and watch as he cracked his poor old skull in the ground and blood stream out of his ear.

Are you SERIOUSLY going to try and justify that? They stepped over the old man as he lay with a serious head injury inflicted by one of these animals.

What will it take for you to stop being such a bootlicker and actually speak out against police savagery? Do you have to wait until they tase your granny because she didn't get her walker frame out of the way?

Did you watch the videos of the cops being attacked, videos of them being punched, shot at, burnt out of their buildings. Did you watch people burn down innocent peoples businesses or how about setting fire to a building with a child inside but hey no your right, **** the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,028 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Your missing the point.

If black people have every opportunity for success then why are they not being successful? Why don’t the leaders of industry give a better representation of the population?

The answer is either

Why are white athletes not doing as well in high level sports as black people. The answer is either.

I'm not saying the answer to your question is 2 but can we discuss it without being seeing as racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭eire4

Plus in addition the response afterward was to issue a statement which was a lie claiming the 75 year old tripped himself and cracked his skull open on the concrete. Then if that lie was not enough 57 fellow officers resigned from that unit in protest at the initial suspension handed down. Showing once again that the problem goes way beyond the actual police brutality and violence and that the issues are very far from just being about a few bad apples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Just seen some of the things George floyd was convicted of. He got out easily. **** should have suffered more

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If that were true then you would see black people in senior leadership positions but it doesnt happen. Take the Fortune 500, of 500 CEOs how many are black? Precisely 4 or 0.75% of all Fortune 500 CEOs.

It's the same argument for why there aren't more women in those positions. It's a highly competitive field. Most white people who attempt to reach those heights fail...
    A total of 15 black CEOs in 65 years does not suggest that blacks have every opportunity in the US that whites have. In fact it is clear evidence of systemic racism.

Actually, no it's not clear evidence of systemic racism. It's clear evidence that black people on average don't have the educational backgrounds, ambition, and ability that those who succeeded did. Just as the millions of white people who failed weren't discriminated against. They just didn't have what it took.

The problem is that you're trying to make everything about racism. It's not. Culture and economics plays a major part in all of this. If you come from an area with high crime, high unemployment, drug use, social instability, etc, then you're unlikely to get the grades of the top 1% of the population. I'm guessing you have no idea of what's required to reach those kind of positions.... go on, do some research. what would a white person need to achieve that kind of success? Could you do it? Doubtful.

• Advertisement

People here call for travellers to be neutered yet feel sympathy for this scumbag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

JL555 wrote: »
    All the clones with the placards 'I can't breathe' at all these protests, I wonder should someone write onto one of those pieces of cardboard the words that the victims of his crimes might have uttered "Please don't shoot me" in reference to the aggravated robberies with deadly weapons that Floyd was convicted of. Court papers available online.

Again, the cop should not have killed Floyd, but please spare us all the martyrdom.

How many convictions for armed robbery did he have?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭eire4

Why are white athletes not doing as well in high level sports as black people. The answer is either.

I'm not saying the answer to your question is 2 but can we discuss it without being seeing as racist.

The best players in the world in the worlds most popular sport are both white in the form of Messi and Ronaldo. Utter rubbish that white athletes at the elite levels are not doing as well as elite level black athletes. Some sports tend to be more dominated at the top levels by Black athletes such as say basketball and others by white athletes such as say Rugby. But football is the worlds game played everywhere and overall at the elite level in sports there is no question there is lots of top level athletes that are white and that are black.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

If that were true then you would see black people in senior leadership positions but it doesnt happen. Take the Fortune 500, of 500 CEOs how many are black? Precisely 4 or 0.75% of all Fortune 500 CEOs.

https://chiefexecutive.net/less-than-1-percent-of-fortune-500-ceos-are-black-corporate-america-must-change/#:~:text=In%202020%2C%20there%20are%20only,15%20Fortune%20500%20black%20CEOs.

A total of 15 black CEOs in 65 years does not suggest that blacks have every opportunity in the US that whites have. In fact it is clear evidence of systemic racism.

I agree coloured people have it harder, but the CEO specific thing, can it in part be related to lack of education, or lack of an education in the right school?
    Even over here we have something of a class system from some schools.
    Going to the right one opens doors........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

How many convictions for armed robbery did he have?

Just one I believe from 2007 and he served 5 years for it.
    His other thefts and drug conviction were not armed.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

What sport really? Talking about collective sports Italy is (or was) perhaps the most winning country compared to its small population. Very strong on football, volleyball, basketball and on and on. USA is strong only on basketball, where they still manage to lose to countries like Lithuania or Puerto Rico. With 320 or so million people they should be much better than Italy, what they aren't. And what about African countries, what they won?

Now if you are talking about individual sports, lookat Hungary, whats their population? They have only 175 gold medals in olympic games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

US2 wrote: »
    People here call for travellers to be neutered yet feel sympathy for this scumbag?

Which posters are you referring to?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

https://chiefexecutive.net/less-than-1-percent-of-fortune-500-ceos-are-black-corporate-america-must-change/#:~:text=In%202020%2C%20there%20are%20only,15%20Fortune%20500%20black%20CEOs.

There's nothing equality about CEOs it's a ruthless competitive business being a CEO and only the best are going to get it, did ya ever think that maybe there weren't any up to scratch of better than there white , Asian , latino counterpart s?

Why is it instantly racial inequality? Could it not be they simple werent the best candidates ?

It ll be like south Africa soon there ll be black people in positions of power just to have black people in positions of power not on merit.

Your way of thinking is flawed also black people are the minority bare that in mind... I'd a similar discussion with someone wondering why it s been mostly white president s... Imagine that! The majority has more presidents! Shock and awe must be racism shur

Think of if like travellers here why hasn't there been a travellers president ? Discrimination ? Or not good candidates ? No traveller CEOs ? Again is it because of merit or instantly discrimination?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

joe40 wrote: »
    I seriously have felt no pressure to support a particular position one way or the other.
    Some of these people must have felt the pressure:
    The conflict exploded in recent days into public protests at The New York Times, ending in the resignation of its top Opinion editor on Sunday; The Philadelphia Inquirer, whose executive editor resigned on Saturday over the headline “Buildings Matter, Too” and the ensuing anger from his staff; and The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. And it has been the subject of quiet agony at The Washington Post,
    The big outlets have gradually, awkwardly, given ground, using “racist” and “lie” more freely, especially when describing Mr. Trump’s behavior.
    And while those angered by Mr. Cotton’s piece dominated the Twitter and Slack conversations and won the day, some staff members disagreed in private and public with the decision.
    We’re not retreating from the principles of independence and objectivity. We don’t pretend to be objective about things like human rights and racism.”

The New York Times

I bet that top opinion editor was feeling the pressure.

If only A.M. Rosenthal was still around. "He kept the paper straight"

Who says white athletes are not doing as well? You? That’s a terribly narrow minded thing to say.

Of The current WBO boxing champions across 17 divisions only two are black.
    The last 10 years of baseball MVPs has yielded one black player.
    There is no black player in the top 10 golfers on the PGA.
    A black player hasn’t won a ballon dor since 2005
    The top scorer in the premiership is white
    In ten years only 3 black people have won the NFL MVP in a sport that 70% of players are black.
    Of 9 weight divisions in the ufc 4 are held by black people.

So you can talk about running, And I can talk about table tennis, and you can mention basketball and I can talk about swimming and you will realise what you said is complete nonsense.

And your changing the subject, this isn’t about the athletic prowess of individuals, this is about the racism that is predominately present in the USA

• Advertisement

Just seen some of the things George floyd was convicted of. He got out easily. **** should have suffered more

Blocked.

The answer is either

Do you really think there are only two possibilities? How about the socio-economic background, more black people are poor, less likely to be 3rd level educated.

How about the culture for black people that if they are studious and work hard in school that they're 'acting white', betraying their culture. Do you think this has any part to play in the disparities we see?

Maybe take a look at John Ogbu's book, "Black American Students in An Affluent Suburb: A Study of Academic Disengagement" where he concluded:
    Black students' own cultural attitudes sometimes hindered academic achievement and that these attitudes are too often neglected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Not enough black CEOs. Not enough women CEOs. Wahhh wahhh wahhh.

Instead of taking responsibility for thier failure to be a CEO, or trying harder, they just blame white men and get handed token positions.

Blocked.

Did you forget to "block" me?

Would you agree george was a filthy scumbag?

Yes or no will do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Do you really think there are only two possibilities? How about the socio-economic background, more black people are poor, less likely to be 3rd level educated.

:

Are you agreeing it is systemic then?

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Are you agreeing it is systemic then?

What do you mean by systemic.

There are large disparities seen in statistics when you look at things like poverty, education, crime, police brutality, sentencing etc.. etc.. between black and white people.

I was trying to discuss why we see these things.

Yes or no will do

A dead man can't defend himself. He was being investigated for $20 note.

Do you believe that criminals can reform? Or should we shoot everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Yes or no will do

Which posters were calling for travelers to be neturered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Switching from Twitter into Boards.ie is like walking into a catholic Ireland 60 years ago. This site is one of the most censored and heavily moderated platforms I've ever encountered online. Highly reflective of what Ireland is now, pendulums swing in extremes in both directions over time. We've hit the other extreme. Neither extreme is pleasant nor rational.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

What do you mean by systemic.

There are large disparities seen in statistics when you look at things like poverty, education, crime, police brutality, sentencing etc.. etc.. between black and white people.

I was trying to discuss why we see these things.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institutional_racism

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement