Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭Christy42

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Please tell me they addressed it and there's a reasonable explanation :o

I have yet to find a response from them. I have checked but I could have missed it if not widely reported.

They could have done one each and avoided it. It isn't just the dishonesty that surprises me. It is the incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Christy42 wrote: »
    I see Austin PD have had an outpouring of support from people who all share the same handwriting (to be fair there are like 2-3 different people's handwriting shown).

https://mobile.twitter.com/Austin_Police/status/1269326118366183424

You'd have to be a serious sh!t PD to be faking letters of support, no surprise the same PD that shoot's a guy in the head standing on an embankment doing nothing.

Levels of "there's a lot of good cops" is dropping when you see sh!t PR stunts like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Please tell me they addressed it and there's a reasonable explanation :o

Someone (Not APD person just a randomer I think) has tried to say that maybe "someone" sent several cards so that officers can get one individually to take home :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

#Businesses that took decades to build were reduced to nothingness in a few short days. #ProtectPrivateProperty
    https://t.co/4wpFmx6gwl https://twitter.com/steve_hanke/status/1269637740024471552?s=20

How does burning down a city help them in the long run? I know the majority of the protesters are peaceful and a small few ruining it for the rest of them, but how does this help them in the long run? All this will do is cause high unemployment and more poverty due to less work and everyone in that city will be affected by that, no matter who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

owlbethere wrote: »
    #Businesses that took decades to build were reduced to nothingness in a few short days. #ProtectPrivateProperty
    https://t.co/4wpFmx6gwl https://twitter.com/steve_hanke/status/1269637740024471552?s=20

How does burning down a city help them in the long run? I know the majority of the protesters are peaceful and a small few ruining it for the rest of them, but how does this help them in the long run? All this will do is cause high unemployment and more poverty due to less work and everyone in that city will be affected by that, no matter who they are.

I feel they really need to tackle the issues in America causing this. Or it will potentially just keep happening. Hopefully something can be done as that video is crazy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

As one protester put it (paraphrase) "America was built on the back of Black slavery, if we choose to burn it down, we will"

degsie wrote: »
    As one protester put it (paraphrase) "America was built on the back of Black slavery, if we choose to burn it down, we will"

No its not right. It will just feed down and across the water into Europe like we saw over the weekend in London. London and Europe was not built on black slavery. Its not right to tear down the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,486 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I feel they really need to tackle the issues in America causing this. Or it will potentially just keep happening. Hopefully something can be done as that video is crazy!

Mob violence and looters and criminals caused this...

But folks want to blame it all on black people being targeted by police.

And even if black people were being "overly" targeted, this response is still nothing but sick.....

And, what is the answer? When will black people be happy? When NO black people are targeted?

BLM, what do they want? The police to not ever target them, challenge them, confront them?

Like I said before, this has juts opened up the door to people to behave like animals any time they think an injustice has come their way.

And they are being encouraged and promoted in this by some very influential people....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

London.
    Police ignore a serious assault

https://twitter.com/ErrolWebber/status/1269335161289703425

• Registered Users Posts: 26,397 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

No its not right. It will just feed down and across the water into Europe like we saw over the weekend in London. London and Europe was not built on black slavery. Its not right to tear down the place.
    Britain was built on black slavery as much or more than the US was; how do you think black slaves arrived in the Americas in the first place, and whose industrial revolution was substantially capitalised with the profits from that particular trade? And similar points could be made about several other European powers.

And that's before we get into the wider history of European colonialism.

• Advertisement

statesaver wrote: »
    London.
    Police ignore a serious assault

https://twitter.com/ErrolWebber/status/1269335161289703425

That wasn't a police car that passed by it was a paramedic, and he stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

walshb wrote: »
    Mob violence and looters and criminals caused this...

But folks want to blame it all on black people being targeted by police.

And even if black people were being "overly" targeted, this response is still nothing but sick.....

And, what is the answer? When will black people be happy? When NO black people are targeted?

BLM, what do they want? The police to not ever target them, challenge them, confront them?

Like I said before, this has juts opened up the door to people to behave like animals any time they think an injustice has come their way.

And they are being encouraged and promoted in this by some very influential people....

I'm not sure what this means in relation to my point on finding the issues, tackling them to make sure this kind of thing is not prevalent going forward.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Britain was built on black slavery as much or more than the US was; how do you think black slaves arrived in the Americas in the first place, and whose industrial revolution was substantially capitalised with the profits from that particular trade? And similar points could be made about several other European powers.

And that's before we get into the wider history of European colonialism.

OK, thanks. I must admit I don't know it and I don't know the history.

Its still not right to riot and tear down places.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,901 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Agree
    That's the crux of the issue.
    I have no issue with peaceful protests, but mob rule is not acceptable

begbysback wrote: »
    This statement says it all about the current acceptance of police brutality in society today, it’s embedded so far within the psyche that it is perceived to be part of every day living.

Well, I'd say that you're correct that something is embedded within the psyche of some... and that's the expectation of unrealistic results.

In any environment with so many variables and risks, there will always be some police officers who go too far (intentionally or unintentionally). To expect all police officers to always be correct in their behavior is a fantasy. Police officers are human too with their own flaws, but also their own emotions/experiences of past incidents. That will affect how they go about their duties.

To get the fantasy you want, you'd need robots. Expecting humans to engage in police work, and to always behave appropriately is a pipedream. There are already measures in place to regulate the behavior of police officers. It's not perfect, but then, nothing is. There is room for improvement, but that will happen by trying to understand the problems/stresses that officers face.. in addition to taking into account those reports by victims.
    The thing you have to remember is that everyone who is arrested by the police in modern day society is presumed innocent.

It's a nice idea... and that's for the courts to decide. The police are there to enforce the law, and should someone be breaking the law, there will be an assumption of guilt being involved. That's basic human nature. Expecting otherwise is naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

ELM327 wrote: »
    Agree
    That's the crux of the issue.
    I have no issue with peaceful protests, but mob rule is not acceptable

Exactly, these riots/protests (and likely lockdown) seem to have sent people insane, and many are using them as an excuse to loot, and attack others. Its mob rules in places it seems.

It seems the law no longer applies....

I think many people are mixing up the moped delivery driver with a police officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,397 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Maybe. But if people protest peacefully against injustice and nothing is done, we can't be too surprised if they then protest less peacefully. And if we want to assign blame for the less peaceful protests then perhaps some of the blame goes to people who did nothing in response to the peaceful protests. It should have occurred to them that the croppies wouldn't lie down forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Maybe. But if people protest peacefully against injustice and nothing is done, we can't be too surprised if they then protest less peacefully. And if we want to assign blame for the less peaceful protests then perhaps some of the blame goes to people who did nothing in response to the peaceful protests. It should have occurred to them that the croppies wouldn't lie down forever.

Is looting a protest now?

Is assault a protest now?

Both only serve to divide further, which is not what this is looking to do

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭The Witches Cat

White teenager stabbed and slashed by bunch of black teens in Cork. Where are our demonstrations and protests?????
    White lives matter too!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Well, I'd say that you're correct that something is embedded within the psyche of some... and that's the expectation of unrealistic results.

In any environment with so many variables and risks, there will always be some police officers who go too far (intentionally or unintentionally). To expect all police officers to always be correct in their behavior is a fantasy. Police officers are human too with their own flaws, but also their own emotions/experiences of past incidents. That will affect how they go about their duties.

To get the fantasy you want, you'd need robots. Expecting humans to engage in police work, and to always behave appropriately is a pipedream. There are already measures in place to regulate the behavior of police officers. It's not perfect, but then, nothing is. There is room for improvement, but that will happen by trying to understand the problems/stresses that officers face.. in addition to taking into account those reports by victims.

It's a nice idea... and that's for the courts to decide. The police are there to enforce the law, and should someone be breaking the law, there will be an assumption of guilt being involved. That's basic human nature. Expecting otherwise is naive.

nobody expects all police officers to always behave correctly.

what is expected is that they face repercussions for that behaviour.
    what is expected is that their fellow officers dont stand by and do nothing. what is expected is that their fellow officers dont cover up for them.
    what is expected is that police unions dont actively try to prevent police officers who commit brutality from facing the repercussions of their behaviour.

is that too much to expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Dont let the truth come in the way of some gob****e ranting

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

No, it just took another form called colonisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

nobody expects all police officers to always behave correctly.

what is expected is that they face repercussions for that behaviour.
    what is expected is that their fellow officers dont stand by and do nothing. what is expected is that their fellow officers dont cover up for them.
    what is expected is that police unions dont actively try to prevent police officers who commit brutality from facing the repercussions of their behaviour.

is that too much to expect?

Go through that again. I cant really feel your rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,901 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Exactly, these riots/protests (and likely lockdown) seem to have sent people insane, and many are using them as an excuse to loot, and attack others. Its mob rules in places it seems.

It seems the law no longer applies....
    unless you're looting "in the name of st george"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Except that the police are accountable for their actions. Reviews are made, and police officers have been convicted due to past behavior. That the processes in place aren't effective enough (for many reasons), doesn't mean that they're unaccountable.

I'd love to see something beyond complaining. I'm seeing a lot of demands for change, but little in the way of specifics, that are grounded in reality. Instead, the demands are made as if they can magically be made effective just because they're coming from the protesters.

The fact is that all too often in the US, the police do not hold any accountability. Just look at the incredulous response ofthe buffalo riot squad to two of their colleagues facing consequences for potentially killing a 75 year old man and just walking away.

Look at the breonna Taylor case in Kentucky, where they broke into her home unannounced in the middle of the night (she was a nurse by the way) without body cameras. Her boyfriend **** because he thought they were being robbed by burglars, and police killed her. Not only did they face no charges, but initially they were trying to charge the boyfriend for murder. This onky changed because of the sheer public attention the case got.

Look at Ahmaud Aurbery, where a retired cop and his son (who worked in the DAs office) murdered a black guy in broad daylight and had zero action taken against them, even getting protection from the DAs office on the matter, until again the case got huge public attention. They werent even arrested for about 3 months after it happened. It has also recently emerged that they hit him with the truck and called him a "f*cking n*gger" after shooting him.

Look at the Seattle police that went about using tear gas over the weekend despite Seattle banning the use of tear gas on Friday.

Look the police continuing to use tear gas weapons and claiming they are not deadly weapons, then charging people who throw them back with use of a deadly weapon against police. How does that work out?

Look at how so many of those same police officers are shooting tear gas canisters - deadly weapons in and of themselves by their own admission. Not by shooting them into the ground to bounce up as recommended, but instead directly in the direction of protesters and we'll above knee level.

Look at the denial of tear gas use when it has been used on peaceful protesters, like by the White House for trunps photo op. The US Park Police came out the other day and admitted it was used, saying it was a "mistake" to do so, but their police chief is still trying to say they didn't use it.

Look at the police officers who assaulted Australian media a few days ago, BBC media around the same time, and multiple other media outlets during these protests.

Look at police pepper spraying a new York state senator who was out marching with peaceful protesters

Look at the NYPD police Union that doxxed the mayors daughter, homes dress and all, when she got arrested for protesting.

Look at the Minneapolis police union chief who has been defending Chauvin and has been revealed to be a member of a biker gang that uses KKK imagery and promotes white power.

Look at other police officers that openly wear white supremacist tattoos like Ian Hans Lichtermann in Philadelphia. He got let go only after it went viral and caused mass public outcry... and soon after got hired elsewhere, where he is now a police captain.

Look at police in Philadelphia not only ignoring a heavily armed group of white guys 'patrolling' down the street very overtly looking for a fight last week, but actually stopping and taking group photos with them, including after curfew.

Look at police in Oregon - acting on behalf of their commanders, no less - discussing with heavily armed, far white Proud Boys who to avoid tear gassing and curfew rules, so that "we don't look like we're playing favourites" when things kick off because "we're going to really enforce teh curfew so we can arrest anybody walking around."

Look at the numerous incidents like that of Brad Ayala, who was shot in the face while standing alone on a hill a few days ago, quite literally doing nothing.

Look at another similar incident that happened to 20 year old Justin Howell, who when medical staff were trying to urgently move him away to help, were themselves shot upon by police. They dropped the stretcher in the panic, and his family have now confirmed that Justin has suffered brain damage. Look at the numerous instances and reports of police attacking medical staff during these last few weeks, something that is considered a war crime

Look at police forcing a baton into the hand of a pinned, unarmed protester and then assaulting hineith the defense that he was 'armed'

Look at the actions of people like Jared Yuen, excitedly smiling and noticeably giddy about the riots while shouting insults and expletives at protesters in an effort to escalate the situation. No action has been taken and the police chief has defended him as a "good kid".

Look at the Seattle police macing an 8 year old girl last week, no action has been taken despite the guy who did it being id'd on camera (wouldn't give out his badge number though) and by funny coincidence the person who video taped it was arrested yesterday.

On that note, look at the numerous instances of police covering up and/or refusing to give out their badge numbers, a definitive lack of accountability. In some instances, look at police departments deploying units with their badge numbers concealed for that very reason (those near the white house being a great example).

On and in the list goes.

---

I have intentionally brought up incidents from the last few weeks in the US alone (barring Taylor and Arbery, which came to media attention naround the last month or so), and there are huge numbers that I have left out as the very lengthy compilations of police brutality towards peaceful protesters and bystanders, to show that this isn't just picking a few incidents from down the years.

With the prevalence of smart phones etc, as well as body cams on police as a recent enough development, a lot more is now also caught on camera and yet police continue to do many of these things while fully aware they are being recorded. That begs the question of what they previously have done (and may continue to do) when not on camera. Even in the killing of George Floyd, one of the cops on the scene was trying to demand that those recording stop doing so, and had that incident not been caught on camera considering Floyd's criminal record, there is a strong chance that all four of those cops would be on duty as I type this.

Not to say no police officers are ever held to account without considerable public scrutiny, but it is considerably less common than one would want, and perhaps most unsettling is the frequency when it does actually occur with which the sanctioned officers are able to just movd to another precinct or division and carry on doing as they were previously.

There is no denying the fact that the policing system and infrastructure in America is broken, and while completely abolishing them and leaving it at that wouldn't be beneficial, it is clear the rot runs so deep and rises so high that they may want to consider completely rebuilding it from the ground up.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Jmsg

The entire black lives matter rubbish is a complete farce. You have a group namely black people who possess particular innate heritable traits (low IQ, low conscientiousness, low agreeableness low impulse control etc.) which disposes them to disproportionately encounter police and therefore have a greater likelihood of being killed by said police

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Jmsg wrote: »
    The entire black lives matter rubbish is a complete farce. You have a group namely black people who possess particular innate heritable traits (low IQ, low conscientiousness, low agreeableness low impulse control etc.) which disposes them to disproportionately encounter police and therefore have a greater likelihood of being killed by said police

Well that’s not racist at all!

White teenager stabbed and slashed by bunch of black teens in Cork. Where are our demonstrations and protests?????
    White lives matter too!!!!!

Have you organised one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Jmsg

Well that’s not racist at all!

Not racism just uncomfortable facts. You could argue someone bringing them up out of the blue is being racist but at this time they are very relevant and ignorance of them is causing untold mayhem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement