Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Judging a whole massive group of people based of the actions of a small minority. It almost sounds like prejudice...

So, we are in agreement then, there are 700,000 police officers in the US...it would be a shame to tarnish them all with the same brush don't you think?[/quote]

I don’t recall doing so at any point?

You’ve got to stop putting words in my mouth.

I’m sure there are many fine individual police officers on the force and never said otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭larva

Black on black crime is caused by society i.e. white people.

Thats a cop out, no pun intended, black people have the biggest chip on their shoulder, its all take and no give back. Society owes them nothing, I recall someone once said ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your county, well in certain cases of black society and not all, they do the complete opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

ELM327 wrote: »
    Typical leftist distractionist crap

Hahaha yeah ok, lets keep talking about one incident in Cork instead of the actual topic. Distraction indeed.

larva wrote: »
    Thats a cop out, no pun intended, black people have the biggest chip on their shoulder, its all take and no give back. Society owes them nothing, I recall someone once said ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your county, well in certain cases of black society and not all, they do the complete opposite.

Maybe they feel the literal 400 years of unpaid work is enough for their people to do for their country...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,903 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

KiKi III wrote: »
    Maybe they feel the literal 400 years of unpaid work is enough for their people to do for their country...
    That's strange, America as we know it has not existed for 400 years, let alone been part of the slave trade.

• Advertisement

Hahaha yeah ok, lets keep talking about one incident in Cork instead of the actual topic. Distraction indeed.
    So, white on black = racist and black on white = irrelevant distraction? Gotcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,560 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What evidence have you of this? Have you lived in black communities? Have you worked with the people from such communities?

What has helped you form your opinion that your statement is accurate?

That was 400 years ago though, time to move on or not as the case may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

So, we are in agreement then, there are 700,000 police officers in the US...it would be a shame to tarnish them all with the same brush don't you think?

I’m sure there are many fine individual police officers on the force and never said otherwise.[/QUOTE]

I'm not putting words in your mouth at all, we are in agreement.

We both believe that tarnishing the entire police force of the USA because of the actions of a handful of police is fundamentally wrong.

I therefore believe, that these violent destructive riots that have spread internationally causing destruction, death and damage and possibly cause a far more devastating 2 nd wave of infections are completely mislead individuals of people who are exhibiting cult like behaviour....it certainly is hysteria if nothing else!

Hysteria being the triumph of emotion over reason in a population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

No you're missing the point, the virtuous right do no wrong, it's all them looney lefties causing the problems!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

So, white on black = racist and black on white = irrelevant distraction? Gotcha.

You should stick to spouting stupid, ill-informed slogans instead of putting words in peoples mouth as I never said any such thing. I'm not surprised though, that's generally what these debates come down to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

It was sarcasm. Of course the perpetrators of black on black crime are fully responsible for their own actions. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

:)

That was 400 years ago though, time to move on or not as the case may be.

It wasn’t all 400 years ago though was it?

Slavery.

Jim Crow Laws.

Segregation.

Stop and Frisk.

Police brutality.

Harsher sentences for the same crimes.

It’s a lot to get over, especially when some of it is ongoing.

What evidence have you of this? Have you lived in black communities? Have you worked with the people from such communities?

What has helped you form your opinion that your statement is accurate?

Its quite evident, especially in the states, that because of drugs, crime and yes other social inequalities, that black people are a cancer on communities in certain cities, I think they call them gangs. yes we have them here too, white gangs, but we are going our best to import black gangs also.

Its quite evident, especially in the states, that because of drugs, crime and yes other social inequalities, that black people are a cancer on communities in certain cities, I think they call them gangs. yes we have them here too, white gangs, but we are going our best to import black gangs also.

Time to get out of the EU and close the borders.

Slavery.

Jim Crow Laws.

Segregation.

Stop and Frisk.

Police brutality.

The police in the states are nuts. Cowboys with a licence to kill, dont think its all falls on the poor black man and that others, including whites dont have the same injustices. Just becuase us Irish fled a famine and werent brought over as slaves doesnt men we werent used in a somewhat similar fashion.

I’m sure there are many fine individual police officers on the force and never said otherwise.

We both believe that tarnishing the entire police force of the USA because of the actions of a handful of police is fundamentally wrong.

I therefore believe, that these violent destructive riots that have spread internationally causing destruction, death and damage and possibly cause a far more devastating 2 nd wave of infections are completely mislead individuals of people who are exhibiting cult like behaviour....it certainly is hysteria if nothing else!

Hysteria being the triumph of emotion over reason in a population.[/quote]

Well, I agree that these riots are an outpouring of emotion. Human beings are not robots, it’s very normal for us to have emotions and that at times they are felt very strongly.

You seem determined to ignore the fact that the majority of protesters have chosen peaceful ways to express that.

You’re characterizing violence as destructive and peaceful protest as cult-like.

It’s pretty clear there is no acceptable way for the black community and their allies to protest in your book.

Slavery.

Jim Crow Laws.

Segregation.

Stop and Frisk.

Police brutality.

You need to go further than that...Slavery is rampant even to this day.

Some say up to 40 million people....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_21st_century#/media/File:Modern_incidence_of_slavery.png

To be fair, the current administration in the US is attempting to put the harsh sentencing that Clinton enacted back in the 90s behind us...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Step_Act

It's just a shame Obama didn't bother in his 8 years of power....like I said, maybe it's time the African Americans started voting for a different political party!!

Time to get out of the EU and close the borders.

No, wont do any good for England and certainly not us. We just dont REALLY need anymore immigrants at the moment, we have done our share and having them here isnt really helping all of them or us.

• Advertisement

The police in the states are nuts. Cowboys with a licence to kill

If this is how you feel, the only logical position would be to strongly in favour of protests against police brutality

• Registered Users Posts: 82,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Fantastic full length segment from Oliver

Not that ignorant people will view it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_21st_century#/media/File:Modern_incidence_of_slavery.png

To be fair, the current administration in the US is attempting to put the harsh sentencing that Clinton enacted back in the 90s behind us...

It's just a shame Obama didn't bother in his 8 years of power....like I said, maybe it's time the African Americans started voting for a different political party!!

It’s mad that you think one president in eight years could undo hundreds of years of damage and with a sweep of his own change things that by and large are handled by individual states.

It really shows you think a lot of him that you believe he had that power.

Yup, elect one black guy president and racism disappears everywhere, that’s obviously how it works...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

The main discussion on this thread is the systematic racism in the US. Go ahead and create another thread for the black on white incident in Ireland. No need to hijack this thread.

If this is how you feel, the only logical position would be to strongly in favour of protests against police brutality

No, it how the police are set up and how they are governed which is the problem. They are infected institutions that are now self-serving, when it should be all of the people who they serve and are accountable too. The policeman who killed Floyd is going to spend a lot of time in jail.. that crime has been punished BUT EVERY TIME a black person is mistreaeted ITS RACIAL abuse and time to riot and pillaged...ill say it that black people are not very civilized people.

Hysteria being the triumph of emotion over reason in a population.

Well, I agree that these riots are an outpouring of emotion. Human beings are not robots, it’s very normal for us to have emotions and that at times they are felt very strongly.

You seem determined to ignore the fact that the majority of protesters have chosen peaceful ways to express that.

You’re characterizing violence as destructive and peaceful protest as cult-like.

It’s pretty clear there is no acceptable way for the black community and their allies to protest in your book.[/QUOTE]

Well, the best way to protest how you are being treated is the ballot box....like every other race in the US seems to do without rioting.

They need to break their loyalty to the Democratic party as all the most deprived urban areas are in Democratic run cities.

The majority of protesters are doing so in a completely reckless manner as we are in the middle of a contagious global pandemic putting the health of people and the economy at enormous risk so you'll forgive me if I have no sympathy for any of them.

They are behaving in a cult like manner, I have never seen a protest descend into kissing feet I will admit.

The best way the African American community to have their voices heard is stop voting for Democrats....in my view.

The first step act that had projections of costing $75m a year over the first 4 years, what does trump give to it? $14m, helpful yes, but the best way to ruin your good "deed" is to under fund it and let it rot.

Well, the best way to protest how you are being treated is the ballot box....like every other race in the US seems to do without rioting.

They need to break their loyalty to the Democratic party as all the most deprived urban areas are in Democratic run cities.

The majority of protesters are doing so in a completely reckless manner as we are in the middle of a contagious global pandemic putting the health of people and the economy at enormous risk so you'll forgive me if I have no sympathy for any of them.

They are behaving in a cult like manner, I have never seen a protest descend into kissing feet I will admit.

The best way the African American community to have their voices heard is stop voting for Democrats....in my view.

You say that, and yet the protests have achieved more in a few days than either party has in power.

All across the nation, mayors and chiefs of police are revising policies aimed at reducing police brutality.

The three stooges who watched as Chauvin killed Floyd were charged.

New York is directing police funding into social services.

Minneapolis is dismantling its police department to build a new and better one.

So on what level have these protests been ineffective? They’re working pretty well in fact.

You should stick to spouting stupid, ill-informed slogans instead of putting words in peoples mouth as I never said any such thing. I'm not surprised though, that's generally what these debates come down to.
    You literally labeled the other discussion as irrelevant

• Advertisement

You literally labeled the other discussion as irrelevant

Irrelevant to *this* thread and deserving of its own...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement