Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

larva wrote: »
    No, wont do any good for England and certainly not us. We just dont REALLY need anymore immigrants at the moment, we have done our share and having them here isnt really helping all of them or us.

All immigration has to stop because there's some bad eggs in it?

I could say all police forces in the US are bad because of xyz example.. would that sound reasonable to you..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I could say all police forces in the US are bad because of xyz example.. would that sound reasonable to you..

All economic projections suggest that Ireland needs immigrants, that the economy benefits from them and that as time goes on we’ll need more to support our aging population but facts like that are anathema to some posters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

FatherTed wrote: »
    The main discussion on this thread is the systematic racism in the US. Go ahead and create another thread for the black on white incident in Ireland. No need to hijack this thread.
    Why are people "protesting" here then? If what happens there is irrelevant here and vice versa?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭larva

I recall seeing something a while back that went largely unreported about a young black gang, from tyrrelstown i think, that are using the Dart to go and loot and riot Sutton and Howth area, Why are they doing this? Did some Irish cop kill one of them? no a lot of them are in direct provision or being gettoised and all they have is crime to fall back on. Why we are allowing them in is beyond me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

KiKi III wrote: »
    It’s mad that you think one president in eight years could undo hundreds of years of damage and with a sweep of his own change things that by and large are handled by individual states.

It really shows you think a lot of him that you believe he had that power.

Yup, elect one black guy president and racism disappears everywhere, that’s obviously how it works...

Again, you are succumbing to an emotive argument.

It is not that hard to reverse the fortunes of a community if you provide them the tools to help themselves.

The current administration have also introduced special designated "Opportunity Zone's" in American cities especially in poorer areas mainly occupied by the African American community, who knows, maybe that is why, until this pandemic hit, the employment levels for african americans was at an all time high, with wages up by nearly 10% (cumulatively since the current administration came into office.

https://www.blackenterprise.com/black-investors-opportunity-zones/

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-avenue/2019/10/03/black-household-income-is-rising-across-the-united-states/

So, between prison reform, and the creation of the investment zones, all I'm saying is, it is a shame Obama never had the same impact on african american communities, as for racism, it is becoming more obvious now that white liberals that are a bigger problem for african americans than the KKK in this day and age.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

I have quite literally watched it. How are you proving it happened because of BLM? Which is what you quite literally said.

I dunno black people kicking lumps out of a lad screaming about slavery and some other ****e , honestly your really desperate if you think it wasn't inspired by the current BLM.. youd really have to want to believe that.

I recall seeing something a while back that went largely unreported about a young black gang, from Tyellells town i think, that are using the Dart to go and loot and riot Sutton and Howth area, Why are they doing this? Did some Irish cop kill one of them? no a lot of them are in direct provision or being gettoised and all they have is crime to fall back on. Why we are allowing them in is beyond me?

Your answer to a problem is all immigration should be stopped, I disagree. Look to solve the issues that has youths looking to act like cnuts on a summer's day or whenever.

You say that, and yet the protests have achieved more in a few days than either party has in power.

All across the nation, mayors and chiefs of police are revising policies aimed at reducing police brutality.

The three stooges who watched as Chauvin killed Floyd were charged.

New York is directing police funding into social services.

Minneapolis is dismantling its police department to build a new and better one.

So on what level have these protests been ineffective? They’re working pretty well in fact.

Ya, wait until those new changes occur and then make an impact...because you said earlier you don't believe that tarnishing an entire police force over the actions of a few is wrong...then reforming a police force of the actions of a few is going to end in a much bigger disaster.

What colour will the new uniforms be I wonder, brownshirts perhaps?

it is becoming more obvious now that white liberals that are a bigger problem for african americans than the KKK in this day and age.

Hmmmm. Can’t tell if trolling or profoundly ignorant...

Ya, wait until those new changes occur and then make an impact...because you said earlier you don't believe that tarnishing an entire police force over the actions of a few is wrong...then reforming a police force of the actions of a few is going to end in a much bigger disaster.

What colour will the new uniforms be I wonder, brownshirts perhaps?

You’re going to need to show your work on reform automatically being a disaster? Why? What are you basing that on? It’s a statement you pulled out of your hole based on nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Irrelevant to *this* thread and deserving of its own...

Thank you for simplifying.
    Cupatae wrote: »
    I dunno black people kicking lumps out of a lad screaming about slavery and some other ****e , honestly your really desperate if you think it wasn't inspired by the current BLM.. youd really have to want to believe that.

The opposite is also true. I've asked the question multiple times and no one can back it up. You would really have to want to believe it.

Well then...how about we let the african american people decide in November as opposed to calling me ignorant or a troll.....because if you think abolishing the police is a platform to get votes on after $100,000,000 of damage by rioters you are in no position to be calling ANYONE profoundly ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭larva

Your answer to a problem is all immigration should be stopped, I disagree. Look to solve the issues that has youths looking to act like cnuts on a summer's day or whenever.

People who are educated and come here to integrate and work I have no problem with at all, I have many friends that are not Irish.

We shouldnt be taking in people who are criminals or who will only end up as criminal is my problem, why should we take in other countries problems? Because America took us in during the Famine? please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

There's modern day slavery happening in todays world but of course it won't ever be called slavery. I suppose its not slavery by definition, but there is pure dirty abuse happening. Its young adults being priced out from housing market. There will always be a need for people who work in roles like chefs, mechanics, childcare workers, hairdressers, etc and many of these people will be priced out from the housing market. Why is it acceptable for these people to work for us in society and have them to be one step away from homelessness if they are not already sleeping in the back of a car or in tent along a canal or in a homeless shelter. Even a lot of our own nurses earn a wage that's not a lot more than that of a factory worker. Of course it won't ever be known as true slavery and it won't ever be discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,827 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well then...how about we let the african american people decide in November as opposed to calling me ignorant or a troll.....because if you think abolishing the police is a platform to get votes on after $100,000,000 of damage by rioters you are in no position to be calling ANYONE profoundly ignorant.

Who is abolishing policing?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,058 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

A lot of Americans don't vote, or care. They just live, who runs the country doesn't effect them one way or the other. A huge percent of Black Americans aren't even registered to vote. America could be like South Africa, if the Black population voted. South Africa hasn't had a white president since Mandela, South Africans cherish their vote as they worked so hard to get it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,279 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No, it how the police are set up and how they are governed which is the problem. They are infected institutions that are now self-serving, when it should be all of the people who they serve and are accountable too. The policeman who killed Floyd is going to spend a lot of time in jail.. that crime has been punished BUT EVERY TIME a black person is mistreaeted ITS RACIAL abuse and time to riot and pillaged...ill say it that black people are not very civilized people.

Threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 40,428 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

are the two mutually exclusive?

People who are educated and come here to integrate and work I have no problem with at all, I have many friends that are not Irish.

We shouldnt be taking in people who are criminals or who will only end up as criminal is my problem, why should we take in other countries problems? Because America took us in during the Famine? please.

Do you expect people to have crystal balls, that they get people to touch to tell them that they'll be a bad egg?
    Your example of youths hopping on a train to go to howth and cause mayhem how is immigration suppose to know what is going to happen down the line?

Go on then. Explain how white liberals are worse for black people than the actual KKK, an organisation for whom racism was their mission statement.

I think you don’t understand the slogan “abolish the police” - they’re talking about transforming the institution not just going for anarchy.

• Advertisement

Thank you for simplifying.

The opposite is also true. I've asked the question multiple times and no one can back it up. You would really have to want to believe it.

Back what up you can see black people kicking lumps out of a white lad all the while screaming about slavery... What more do you need ?

Here's a question do you think that gang that were doing the attacks weren't racially motivated or inspired by the BLM ?

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

I think all these protests and anger etc will end up doing a disservice for the black community at the end of this...if you were an employer with a choice of candidates in front of you, hiring the black candidate is leaving you open to a potential threat of being accused of racism if god forgive one document has the wrong phrase in it or some colleague accidentally says something that could be construed as racist (which seems to be anything anyone says according to the current climate). Employers will just pass on employing these people if given a choice, just to avoid the hassle of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,827 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

bb12 wrote: »
    I think all these protests and anger etc will end up doing a disservice for the black community at the end of this...if you were an employer with a choice of candidates in front of you, hiring the black candidate is leaving you open to a potential threat of being accused of racism if god forgive one document has the wrong phrase in it or some colleague accidentally says something that could be construed as racist (which seems to be anything anyone says according to the current climate). Employers will just pass on employing these people if given a choice, just to avoid the hassle of it all.

Any who try are guilty of unlawful discrimination which can land them in serious trouble, steep fines, etc.

100% I never had anything against black people but these protests will leave a sour taste and rightly so they are nothing short of a disgrace the carry on.

I imagine most employers would avoid the minefield that is the black community at the mind as you said the potential threat to lively hood for one misstep why risk it.

Overheal wrote: »
    Any who try are guilty of unlawful discrimination which can land them in serious trouble, steep fines, etc.

Be a interesting one to prove

• Registered Users Posts: 40,428 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

100% I never had anything against black people but these protests will leave a sour taste and rightly so they are nothing short of a disgrace the carry on.

I imagine most employers would avoid the minefield that is the black community at the mind as you said the potential threat to lively hood for one misstep why risk it.

you do know that the looting isnt an exclusively black affair?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

A lot of Americans don't vote, or care. They just live, who runs the country doesn't effect them one way or the other. A huge percent of Black Americans aren't even registered to vote. America could be like South Africa, if the Black population voted. South Africa hasn't had a white president since Mandela, South Africans cherish their vote as they worked so hard to get it.

|I hope you don't think that would be a good thing.

SA is in an awful state even for an African country and the police there are horrific , 6 out of the last 7 police commissioners were removed for corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Back what up you can see black people kicking lumps out of a white lad all the while screaming about slavery... What more do you need ?

Here's a question do you think that gang that were doing the attacks weren't racially motivated or inspired by the BLM ?

Do I believe a few little scrotes in Cork give two shiny sh*tes about BLM? No, I don't. Whether it was racially motivated or just something to shout about whilst commiting a crime, I don't know. I certainly wouldn't be telling people it was linked to the BLM movement without anything resembling proof of same. Its more distraction

Excercise your 1st amendment right to protest, be seen on a news channel covering the protest get evicted from the premises that you are running your business from.

https://v.redd.it/t7gay8e6ui351

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,649 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I said this from the start. The whole protesting has done nothing but set back the black community, and damage their name...

And people don't care if whites or browns or any other colors "also" caused trouble; the BLM made this issue about them..

People are going to naturally focus on black people here. Black people protesting, black people looting, black people rioting, black people destroying..

This is what the main focus is on really..

The mob violence reaction has done nothing but damage the black community

They had their chance to protest with class and dignity and care and compassion and passion and rightfulness; they failed to do it.

And people won't remember all the "peaceful" protesters here, and rightly so...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement