Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Limpy wrote: »
    Trump comes in late with the petrol can. Rich White man knows best.

Your 'white Man' remark is so silly. Its classic far left stuff. The funny thing is,you are probably white yourself. A self loather

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

walshb wrote: »
    Not justify, explain why the cop did what he did..

Nuance is lost here........what made that cop restrain that man the way he did...?

Either he "had" to in his mind, he didn't have to, but wanted to hurt the man, or even end the man's life....all questions I'd like answers to.

After watching the videos I would think that the cop was just a nasty individual. I am with you on this.....I just don't know all the facts.

Anyway, that will, or should be handled by a detailed investigation..

Back to the rioting.......

Chauvin has a long history of incidents of police brutality. There are 12 police brutality complaints against him in the Minneapolis Office of Police Conduct complaint database. They are all listed as ‘closed,’ ‘non-public,’ and ‘no discipline.’

If legally sanctioned brutality is allowed to continue unchecked, violent uprising is not to be unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

the protests are completely legitimate.

the robbery and arson are not.

let's seperate the two.

That would seem a simple thing to do, for the media and the test of us, but doesn't seem to be. Some seem keen to conflate the two and draw more attention to the rioting than the killing.

Anyway, on the subject of thr need for protests, somebody on twitter pointed out what happened when someone just went down on one knee to protest - constant criticism, threats, and unemployment as a result. And the same people ctiticizing Kaepernick now saying "why can't they protest peacefully?"

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Peaceful protest against police brutality on the African American community clearly hasn't worked

The last high profile peaceful protest ended up in the guy being called a son of a bitch and told to leave the country by the US president of all people. And he lost his job.

If the protests turn really violent and are left unchecked then the community which will suffer the most is the African American one. Theres always a point of no return and those looters will be stopped one way or another . Who in their right mind thinks looting is a form of protest. Imagine being a policeman in Minneapolis right now and watching your station go up in flames. I'd say youd be looking to defend the rest of your stations. If you dont take action the National Guard will come in and shoot 5 or 10 people . No more looting. Nows the time to take action before people have to be shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MFPM

BloodyBill wrote: »
    If the protests turn really violent and are left unchecked then the community which will suffer the most is the African American one. Theres always a point of no return and those looters will be stopped one way or another . Who in their right mind thinks looting is a form of protest. Imagine being a policeman in Minneapolis right now and watching your station go up in flames. I'd say youd looking to defend the rest of your stations.

Imagine being black in Minneapolis right now and watching on as a cop unleashes brutality on one of your community resulting in his death....I think you'd be bloody angry!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Most can agree after the Rodney (King)moment that rioting took place too. I remember it well. They were not right to riot but nobody goes back to that, every body talk's about the situation for what it was at the time. Racism. The riots will be forgotten but the murder will leave a footprint in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

They reckon now the riots were instigated by StPauli police officer. Dressed head to to in black with an umbrella. Video shows it happening and others telling him to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Your 'white Man' remark is so silly. Its classic far left stuff. The funny thing is,you are probably white yourself. A self loather

I am a rich white man i can relate.

BASHIR wrote: »
    They reckon now the riots were instigated by StPauli police officer. Dressed head to to in black with an umbrella. Video shows it happening and others telling him to stop.

Update apparently his ex wife spotted him :D hell hath no fury like a woman scorned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Have a gander:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWQfDbbQv9E

And the looting? I suppose it's the horrible extreme of capitalism, that you need "stuff"...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

MFPM wrote: »

Martin Luther King, no supporter of rioting I think we can agree made an important point on riots when stating that 'A riot is the language of the unheard' - I think there is much merit in that statement.

You might have missed the bit where he went on to condemn rioting in that same speech. *fact check*

Interesting article in the NY times. While the Minneapolis police chief is actually black, he heads up a force of predominantly white police - he took part in a lawsuit in the past alleging the leadership tolerated racism. There's also a long history of the Minneapolis police force being accused of abuse- and while the population of Minneapolis is only 20% black,

" they are more likely to be pulled over, arrested and have force used against them than white residents, Police Department data shows. And black people accounted for more than 60 percent of the victims in Minneapolis police shootings from late 2009 through May 2019, data shows."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/27/us/minneapolis-police.html

It certainly looks like this is not just a case of one bad apple- there are likely many "Derek Chauvins" in this police force.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

The authorities could have regained the moral high ground because of the looting.

However, by directly threatening the looters with summary execution, in Trump’s “you start looting, we start shooting”, he has proven their point entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It certainly looks like this is not just a case of one bad apple- there are likely many "Derek Chauvins" in this police force.
    It's worth remembering that the saying is not, "When there's one bad apple in the barrel, the rest are grand",

The saying is, "One bad apple spoils the barrel". Which in the context of police is very relevant. Because one scumbag police officer doesn't operate in isolation. They don't go without notice. Their behaviour is at best ignored, at worst encouraged by their colleagues.

So if there is "one bad apple" in a police station or force, then that means they have been operating with the tacit approval of their colleagues. This casts the reliability of the entire group into doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

KiKi III wrote: »
    The authorities could have regained the moral high ground because of the looting.

However, by directly threatening the looters with summary execution, in Trump’s “you start looting, we start shooting”, he has proven their point entirely.

Fairly worrying that an American president threatens to shoot his own citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

He just brings everything to a new level of awfulness but still commands the support of a large section of American society. That is the tragedy for America.
    So much for "good people on both sides"

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

BASHIR wrote: »
    Sticking this prick on ignore replied to him numerous times yet the above shows hes a troll gobsh!te

Are you all antsy because I didn't reply to you?

God almighty!!!!

If I was a law abiding black citizen who had not looted so far, I’d be going out to protest tonight for sure.

MFPM wrote: »
    Imagine being black in Minneapolis right now and watching on as a cop unleashes brutality on one of your community resulting in his death....I think you'd be bloody angry!

Yeah if I was black in Minneapolis right now I'd be saying the exact same thing as I as a white man actually would say to my kids in Ireland right now. Dont try and pass on counterfeit money ,and dont break the law if you can avoid it because the consequences cant be guaranteed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

On the shooting.

In law, can persons be shot for looting?

Can't business owners and the authorities shoot looters?

seamus wrote: »
    It's worth remembering that the saying is not, "When there's one bad apple in the barrel, the rest are grand",

The saying is, "One bad apple spoils the barrel". Which in the context of police is very relevant. Because one scumbag police officer doesn't operate in isolation. They don't go without notice. Their behaviour is at best ignored, at worst encouraged by their colleagues.

So if there is "one bad apple" in a police station or force, then that means they have been operating with the tacit approval of their colleagues. This casts the reliability of the entire group into doubt.

The African American that died was also 'one bad apple'.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't know the specifics of US law, but I doubt the rules on protecting your business are the same as protecting your home.

It's fairly cut-and-dried when someone enters your workplace with a weapon, but unarmed looters might be a different matter.
    The mistake you're making here is assuming that all African-Americans are part of a coherent, formal grouping that operate according to procedures and share common goals and common facilities.

But thinking like that is normal when you're a racist. Other races are all of a single mind. It's only people of your race/nationality who possess nuance.

Yeah if I was black in Minneapolis right now I'd be saying the exact same thing as I as a white man actually would say to my kids in Ireland right now. Dont try and pass on counterfeit money ,and dont break the law if you can avoid it because the consequences cant be guaranteed.

The consequences are arrest and prosecution as prescribed by law. If he was guilty, that was the risk he took on.

No sane person thinks choking someone to death in broad daylight is all part of the risk for *allegedly* participating in small scale, non-violent crime.

Are you seriously equating passing a bad $20 bill with choking someone to death in the street?

While that is good advice, would you imply that a consequence of such an act may incur death.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

seamus wrote: »
    I don't know the specifics of US law, but I doubt the rules on protecting your business are the same as protecting your home.

It's fairly cut-and-dried when someone enters your workplace with a weapon, but unarmed looters might be a different matter.

The stand your ground laws generally account for person and property in the same vein.
    I doubt there is a distinction between your business property and your personal property.

If I were a business owner in MN I'd be in my business with my legally held firearms and ammo. Those thugs aint getting my property without a fight.

Another for the ignore list jesus such a thing to say about someone. He may not have even known it was counterfeit. How do you know he was a "bad apple".
    You don't and he should have had the right to defend himself against such an allegation.

ELM327 wrote: »
    The stand your ground laws generally account for person and property in the same vein.
    I doubt there is a distinction between your business property and your personal property.

If I were a business owner in MN I'd be in my business with my legally held firearms and ammo. Those thugs aint getting my property without a fight.

Cool, another person who thinks shooting people is a valid response to theft.

Because adding more violence into the situation can only help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

KiKi III wrote: »
    Cool, another person who thinks shooting people is a valid response to theft.

Because adding more violence into the situation can only help.
    Absolutely it is.
    These crowds of scum are not abiding by the law. Shotgun blasts are the only thing they will (be forced to) understand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement