Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It's beyond laughable Irish people getting on board with this stuff. It's this sweeping idea that all black people are victims, all whites are benefactors of some privilege. Ireland has nothing like the same history of racism which America has nor for all their flaws do our guards have a serious issue of being too heavy handed as American cops do. How can there be white privilege in Ireland when like 95% of the population is white and there was very little history of black people here until the last 25 years or so.

Where's the protests about what's going on in our nursing homes, where's the large scale protest when the government cut special needs assistants in schools a few years back. These idiots are more concerned with something that has no relevance to Ireland and something they can do absolutely nothing about instead of doing some for actual change. It's just virtue signalling and nothing else and not to mention a total slap in the face to our healthcare workers who've been fighting this virus by gathering together in mass groups. Fcuk them tbh.

It’s trendy and has a hashtag. That’s all the halfwits need these day’s to jump on a bandwagon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

It’s trendy and has a hashtag. That’s all the halfwits need these day’s to jump on a bandwagon.

Change your Facebook profile pic, Get your latte , and skinny jeans and be part of the movement.. become multicultural :D change!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

joe40 wrote: »
    The protests are not about the death of one man, you know that. I get it some people don't agree with them, some people think there is no inequality facing black communities in the US

what are the protests in Ireland about? If it was just solidarity with the BLM movement in america that would be one thing, but there's a lot more going on than that

what are the protests in Ireland about? If it was just solidarity with the BLM movement in america that would be one thing, but there's a lot more going on than that

There protesting only getting free education up as far as masters, it's a disgrace they should be getting masters included. Such an oppressive country.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

All symbols of oppressive white nationalism have to be removed and/or replaced with more appropriate signs, statues, place names etc. Ireland like all countries where white privilege is a major issue has a lot of atonement to do. On behalf of the Irish people I apologise for the murder of George Floyd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Or they could, y’know, not break the law.

A tall order, apparently

Paddygreen wrote: »
    All symbols of oppressive white nationalism have to be removed and/or replaced with more appropriate signs, statues, place names etc. Ireland like all countries where white privilege is a major issue have a lot of atonement to do.

But what are all the black lads coming over from Africa in airplanes doing to the environment Paddy?...

But what are all the black lads coming over from Africa in airplanes doing to the environment Paddy?...

That’s a separate issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

What’s the poor cracker version of systematic racism?? Because there’s fcuk all poor white folk getting jobs as CEOs too.

Poverty Trap / Cycle of Poverty? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycle_of_poverty

I was listening to fiddy cent, MC Hammer and snoop dogg all day. I am starting to really identify with black people.

• Advertisement

joe40 wrote: »
    If I were to accept that argument which I don't, then it is a good job BLM are protesting this issue. They're helping poor white people as well.

How is making police brutality (or police killings) a race issue helping poor white people? Or any white people?

Because that's what BLM have been doing. Pushing hard on the racism angle.
    Because there is no way any civilised western democracy should accept death at the hands of police at the rate it happens in the US.
    Especially unarmed victims.

Over 1000 people per year.

That is carnage compared to any other western country.

"MORE THAN 1,000 UNARMED people died as a result of police harm between 2013 and 2019, according to data from Mapping Police Violence. About a third of them were black.

About 17% of the black people who died as a result of police harm were unarmed, a larger share than any other racial group and about 1.3 times more than the average of 13%"

So.. 83% of those black people who were shot were armed. Doesn't that raise any eyebrows for you? Same with the white people shot.. doesn't it make you appreciate the kind of work the US police have to engage in?

Yes, I appreciate that roughly a 1000 people dying each year to police shootings is rather excessive compared to most other countries, but then again, few countries allow their citizens to carry firearms.

Since the newer report (Washington post) is behind a paywall, this is last years. Did you click on any of the names listed on the site? I clicked on roughly twenty of them, and they were all "armed with a gun". 56 entries are noted as unarmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Absolutely crazy **** going on at these protests and no mention on the mainstream news. Just sent a snapsnap of two cops in London being kicked on the ground by a mob, about 30 seconds of being kicked in the face, and the crowd cheering and screaming. From video I'm assuming they are dead

I was listening to fiddy cent, MC Hammer and snoop dogg all day. I am starting to really identify with black people.

Careful now, you might want to become a gangsta or a pimp... the greatest ambition for some people. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭Christy42

How is making police brutality (or police killings) a race issue helping poor white people? Or any white people?

"MORE THAN 1,000 UNARMED people died as a result of police harm between 2013 and 2019, according to data from Mapping Police Violence. About a third of them were black.

About 17% of the black people who died as a result of police harm were unarmed, a larger share than any other racial group and about 1.3 times more than the average of 13%"

So.. 83% of those black people who were shot were armed. Doesn't that raise any eyebrows for you? Same with the white people shot.. doesn't it make you appreciate the kind of work the US police have to engage in?

Yes, I appreciate that roughly a 1000 people dying each year to police shootings is rather excessive compared to most other countries, but then again, few countries allow their citizens to carry firearms.

Since the newer report (Washington post) is behind a paywall, this is last years. Did you click on any of the names listed on the site? I clicked on roughly twenty of them, and they were all "armed with a gun". 56 entries are noted as unarmed.

I mean the police can push for more gun control if they so wish.

We keep getting told how it is not an issue at all in the US now suddenly it is that we see the US shoots 1000 unarmed people a year? That is, massive compared to other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

all lives matter so?

/s

Nobody said otherwise

Have the black community any responsibility at all for there own fortunes ? All I see here is excuse after excuse , have they tried that ? Have they thought hey maybe we should act different and better ourselves! I'm sure there are alot that do but there's def alot that don't and use the good old crutch of racism.

Christy42 wrote: »
    I mean the police can push for more gun control if they so wish.

Yeah, well, trying to take the guns away from the general population would likely start an actual civil war.
    We keep getting told how it is not an issue at all in the US now suddenly it is that we see the US shoots 1000 unarmed people a year? That is, massive compared to other countries.

Dunno what you've been listening to but the firearms question is constantly in US news, in one form or another. The school shootings guarantee that it stays in the limelight.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Carioco

boards.ie is CA/IMHO is Ireland's new Stormfront.

Oh my god is there some black people causing crime in London? Literally a city with a number of bad areas containing hundreds of thousands of black people.

**** thank god our mostly white people in Finglas, Coolock and Crumlin are so well behaved and never cause any issues.

Lads I am convinced, your level of skin melatonin is a direct indication of the crime levels. I'm off to the paradise that is Darandale where thankfully its 99% white and a utopia of crime free whiteness

Yeah, well, trying to take the guns away from the general population would likely start an actual civil war.

Dunno what you've been listening to but the firearms question is constantly in US news, in one form or another. The school shootings guarantee that it stays in the limelight.

Right wingers seem to think the solution to gun violence is more guns. I have argued for less guns for years and their prevalence now it is used as an excuse for why the police can't manage to maintain law and order in their own ranks?

I mean I am sure the police can manage law and order? We wouldn't see maga types out rioting like those nasty crazy left wingers now would we.

Honestly. We keep getting told it is a few bad apples. We'll that is fairly well out the window at this stage. Now it is "a tough job". We'll get someone on capitol Hill to fix it. At least democrats are attempting to propose a solution instead of coming up with excuses not to deal with 1k dead a year (never mind that someone having a gun isn't an excuse to shoot them for some of the rest).

Either get that number down or face continued protests and people will quite rightly support them. It is unacceptable for a police force

• Registered Users Posts: 55,488 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Carioco wrote: »
    boards.ie is CA/IMHO is Ireland's new Stormfront.

Oh my god is there some black people causing crime in London? Literally a city with a number of bad areas containing hundreds of thousands of black people.

**** thank god our mostly white people in Finglas, Coolock and Crumlin are so well behaved and never cause any issues.

Lads I am convinced, your level of skin melatonin is a direct indication of the crime levels. I'm off to the paradise that is Darandale where thankfully its 99% white and a utopia of crime free whiteness

Nonsense.

Deal with the stats

In the U.S. the cops target behaviors, no different than here...

Your peddling the color/race angle shows you up in a bad light.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Carioco wrote: »

melatonin is the hormone that regulates sleep.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

melatonin is the hormone that regulates sleep.....

Lol he's not the brightest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

And how many of those 83% of cases are like Philando Castile, who sensibly informed the policeman who pulled him over that he was carrying a legal firearm but that he was reaching for his driving license.

Shot dead anyway.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Right wingers seem to think the solution to gun violence is more guns. I have argued for less guns for years and their prevalence now it is used as an excuse for why the police can't manage to maintain law and order in their own ranks?

Dunno what right wingers say since I'm not one. I swing left and right depending on the issue.

And it's not being used as an excuse. It's a factor for consideration regarding the number of people being killed by police. If a large percentage of those being killed are carrying/using a firearm, when the police killed the "victim", then that's worth considering. Well... for anyone who wants to consider the situation. I have a feeling you've decided and nothing will deflect your from your judgement.
    I mean I am sure the police can manage law and order? We wouldn't see maga types out rioting like those nasty crazy left wingers now would we.

The last week and a bit have shown the limits of the police and what happens when they're pushed beyond those limits. Not sure, why the reference to Maga considering what we're talking about.. although I'm guessing it's a dig of some kind?
    Honestly. We keep getting told it is a few bad apples. We'll that is fairly well out the window at this stage.

Strange... I hear the same line being used about African American crime. Is that particular excuse also out the window for them?
    Now it is "a tough job". We'll get someone on capitol Hill to fix it. At least democrats are attempting to propose a solution instead of coming up with excuses not to deal with 1k dead a year (never mind that someone having a gun isn't an excuse to shoot them for some of the rest).

Either get that number down or face continued protests and people will quite rightly support them. It is unacceptable for a police force

Ahh well, I'm so glad that you're willing to consider the problem from every angle, and keep an open mind.. It just shows how interested you are in finding/discussing a solution rather than simply pushing an agenda... and making people pay.

KiKi III wrote: »
    And how many of those 83% of cases are like Philando Castile, who sensibly informed the policeman who pulled him over that he was carrying a legal firearm but that he was reaching for his driving license.

Shot dead anyway.

No idea. do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

No idea. do you?

I don’t. But you’re painting a picture that implies that in 83% of cases the police officer was in danger when he shot so I wanted to point out that’s not necessarily the case.

It’s legal to carry a firearm in many parts of the States.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

JJayoo wrote: »
    Absolutely crazy **** going on at these protests and no mention on the mainstream news. Just sent a snapsnap of two cops in London being kicked on the ground by a mob, about 30 seconds of being kicked in the face, and the crowd cheering and screaming. From video I'm assuming they are dead

I haven't seen the video you're talking about. It's despicable carry on. I can't understand it. I don't understand how they are making the English police to be guilty by association over police brutality in America. I read on another place that, these people rioting and attacking others are stabbing people in the anus so that people have to rely on a bag for the rest of their lives. I don't know how true that is. They want police brutality to be dealt with by using using violence and brut themselves. My support for the movement is all but gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

All symbols of oppressive white nationalism have to be removed and/or replaced with more appropriate signs, statues, place names etc. Ireland like all countries where white privilege is a major issue has a lot of atonement to do. On behalf of the Irish people I apologise for the murder of George Floyd.

What ??? Another George Floyd has been killed , this time murdered ???

Only read there , a few days ago , about a guy called George Floyd , who died while being detained by heavy handed police . Video was realised showing police using heavy handed tactics by kneeling on the poor guy .

Now , another George Floyd , this time murdered !!

Dunno what right wingers say since I'm not one. I swing left and right depending on the issue.

And it's not being used as an excuse. It's a factor for consideration regarding the number of people being killed by police. If a large percentage of those being killed are carrying/using a firearm, when the police killed the "victim", then that's worth considering. Well... for anyone who wants to consider the situation. I have a feeling you've decided and nothing will deflect your from your judgement.

The last week and a bit have shown the limits of the police and what happens when they're pushed beyond those limits. Not sure, why the reference to Maga considering what we're talking about.. although I'm guessing it's a dig of some kind?

Strange... I hear the same line being used about African American crime. Is that particular excuse also out the window for them?

Ahh well, I'm so glad that you're willing to consider the problem from every angle, and keep an open mind.. It just shows how interested you are in finding/discussing a solution rather than simply pushing an agenda... and making people pay.

I was not referring to African American crime. I was talking about the fact that police defending bad apples must be bad apples themselves. That and the way many have handled themselves during the protests shows it is more than a few bad apples. I have not looked at the African American crime stats to see if it applies there.

I am sure you have never heard right wing people talk about gun control and honestly it is an excuse.

Where did I say I was not open to alternate solutions? If someone says they want to fix this by reducing gun ownership I will support them. If the police come up with alternate ways to cut down the amount of people they kill I will listen. All I am hearing at this point from the other side is giving out about protestors and sure isn't policing hard. Thry are not solutions, they are simply ways to try and avoid discussing the issue of what to do about police brutality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Paddyblack

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement