Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

THE_SHEEP wrote: »
    What ??? Another George Floyd has been killed , this time murdered ???

Only read there , a few days ago , about a guy called George Floyd , who died while being detained by heavy handed police . Video was realised showing police using heavy handed tactics by kneeling on the poor guy .

Now , another George Floyd , this time murdered !!

You know Derek Chauvin has been charged with second degree murder, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

xtal191 wrote: »

These headbangers who want to abolish the police are getting hammered on twitter...if you are getting battered on twitter I'd image the electorate are even further away.

Best tweet - When calling in a break in to your home.

"911 What is your location?"
    "Uh...a place of privilege"

These headbangers who want to abolish the police are getting hammered on twitter...if you are getting battered on twitter I'd image the electorate are even further away.

As in “Abolish the police as it is currently structured and create a new force that is better fit for purpose”

But that’s too long for a sign.

Read past the headline. Listen past the sound bite.

xtal191 wrote: »

I think there is going to be a big backlash by the voters in the USA after the past few weeks. With Trump benefiting.

The virtue signalling, the attacks on police, the disbanding of whole police departments, the ruined businesses, destruction of property etc etc. Its going to turn the middle of the road voter to look for security of person and property = Trump.

He was probably done after some of his stupid statements after the initial incident. But some of the anarchists and leftists have likely landed the presidency on his lap.

• Advertisement

KiKi III wrote: »
    I don’t. But you’re painting a picture that implies that in 83% of cases the police officer was in danger when he shot so I wanted to point out that’s not necessarily the case.

It’s legal to carry a firearm in many parts of the States.

Nope. I said the people were armed. I didn't say anything about the firearms being drawn or used, did i?

I pointed to the very real aspect of policing in the US where many people are carrying. And yes, that does suggest the risks involved. Anyone who grew up in Ireland where guns were/are very rare, would (hopefully) understand that the risk is rather scary for any police officer. Personally, I can't imagine living with such a danger every day of a career... Being a Gardai seems so tame in comparison (and there are risks for them too).
    Christy42 wrote: »
    I was not referring to African American crime. I was talking about the fact that police defending bad apples must be bad apples themselves. That and the way many have handled themselves during the protests shows it is more than a few bad apples. I have not looked at the African American crime stats to see if it applies there.

Naturally, because those killed by the police were victims, yes?
    I am sure you have never heard right wing people talk about gun control and honestly it is an excuse.

I've heard a lot of people talk about gun control. I know people with left associations who own firearms in the US, and feel that they have the right to do so. You're attempting to make this solely about the right. I disagree with that.

And yes, I have heard the argument that more firearms being available in places like Texas mean a reduction in violent crime. I don't know enough to really form a definite opinion, although I've always considered the situation to be completely ****ed up. I've always steered clear of US firearm debates, because it's a problem with no answer.
    Where did I say I was not open to alternate solutions? If someone says they want to fix this by reducing gun ownership I will support them. If the police come up with alternate ways to cut down the amount of people they kill I will listen. All I am hearing at this point from the other side is giving out about protestors and sure isn't policing hard. Thry are not solutions, they are simply ways to try and avoid discussing the issue of what to do about police brutality.

And those posters who talk about both the police brutality and the actions of the protesters? Oh... don't get me wrong. This thread is chock full of posters sitting on two fences shouting at each other, how their side is more innocent, more victimized than the other, etc... but there have been other posters with more balanced viewpoints.

And as for your posts, all I've seen were accusations about the police. You've dismissed any suggestions regarding the danger/risks to police officers, and that consideration with regards to the killings. Maybe you provided a more balanced viewpoint earlier and I missed it.

As in “Abolish the police as it is currently structured and create a new force that is better fit for purpose”

But that’s too long for a sign.

Read past the headline. Listen past the sound bite.

Did you listen to the clip....there was no mention of any of that.

The headbanger was on national tv and couldn't put together a sentence that made sense....these are the kinds of headbangers you are dealing with...and reforming the police will cost money, retraining the police will cost money....yet even more headbangers want to defund the police....

Replace it with what....kinder police? You'd have to ask all the citizens to be kinder too...I suppose it's worth a shot!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Carioco wrote: »
    boards.ie is CA/IMHO is Ireland's new Stormfront.

Oh my god is there some black people causing crime in London? Literally a city with a number of bad areas containing hundreds of thousands of black people.

**** thank god our mostly white people in Finglas, Coolock and Crumlin are so well behaved and never cause any issues.

Lads I am convinced, your level of skin melatonin is a direct indication of the crime levels. I'm off to the paradise that is Darandale where thankfully its 99% white and a utopia of crime free whiteness

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter...

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,560 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It's not about abolishing all police. This is 40 seconds long.

https://twitter.com/DewaynePerkins/status/1270053404883120129

And just to show some positive impacts from the protests for those who say (hope) nothing will change.

https://twitter.com/morganfmckay/status/1270066341144399872

140 - 3
    Now that's getting abolished. In real life though, not Twitter.

Did you listen to the clip....there was no mention of any of that.

The headbanger was on national tv and couldn't put together a sentence that made sense....these are the kinds of headbangers you are dealing with...and reforming the police will cost money, retraining the police will cost money....yet even more headbangers want to defund the police....

Replace it with what....kinder police? You'd have to ask all the citizens to be kinder too...I suppose it's worth a shot!!!!

Less violent police would be a goal, for sure.

Different structures that include diversion programmes and community policing focused on crime prevention might work.

Better funded training for officers to de-escalate situations would seem like a good idea too.

Investment in equipment and training for non-lethal weapons.

I’m not an expert but it seems unlikely that the current structures are the absolute best they could possibly be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Though our elections are even more of a shambles than in the States. What happened to the parties that we elected in February of this year? Leo and his bastard cabinet are still in. How is that democratic?

I think you need a lesson in how democracy works, Mr. F.

SF, despite all the hoopla (mostly from the party itself), got less than 25% of the vote. Because they are so toxic, they were unable to form a government, in fact they never got to the point of serious discussions with ANY party, despite them mouthing off about leading a grand coalition of the left, a coalition of change. They ‘sent letters’ to the other major parties, that was the height of it for SF.

When you look at the calibre of SF TDs such as Reada Cronin and Violet-Anne Wynne, we can only thank our lucky starts that they weren’t in government for the last 4 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Different structures that include diversion programmes and community policing focused on crime prevention might work.

Better funded training for officers to de-escalate situations would seem like a good idea too.

I’m not an expert but it seems unlikely that the current structures are the absolute best they could possibly be.

Non lethal weapons

How will that work in America for their love affair with guns?

It's not about abolishing all police. This is 40 seconds long.

https://twitter.com/DewaynePerkins/status/1270053404883120129

And just to show some positive impacts from the protests for those who say (hope) nothing will change.

https://twitter.com/morganfmckay/status/1270066341144399872

140 - 3
    Now that's getting abolished. In real life though, not Twitter.

Defunding the police is exactly that, as your video clip confirmed...stop trying to hide from it.

What is being recommended is diverting that money to local services...in the hope that that will decrease crime in the first place...

It is crazy.....what you are seeing here is the Democratic Party in freefall...this is madness...

But maybe I'm wrong....

There are over 700,000 police officers in the US...what should it be reduced to?

Should the riot squad be scrapped?
    Should homicide department go?
    What about traffic cops?
    Etc Etc

Replace with what social workers?

owlbethere wrote: »

Non lethal weapons

How will that work in America for their love affair with guns?

I’m not suggesting they should *only* use non-lethal weapons.

But say with George Floyd, where the suspect is posing absolutely no immediate danger, but for some reason you feel the need to subdue him further. Why not use a taser instead of killing him?

You sound like you haven't an absolute clue what you are on about...

Have you any idea what it takes to police a large American City?

All of what you suggested is noble and all....but will require MORE money and investment....do you understand that much....it will cost MORE to invest in training and non lethal weapons...if you defund the police you would have LESS money....you get that much right?

And that is assuming all those lovely suggestions don't already exist.

Defunding the police is exactly that, as your video clip confirmed...stop trying to hide from it.

What is being recommended is diverting that money to local services...in the hope that that will decrease crime in the first place...

It is crazy.....what you are seeing here is the Democratic Party in freefall...this is madness...

But maybe I'm wrong....

There are over 700,000 police officers in the US...what should it be reduced to?

What about traffic cops?
    Etc Etc

This is what it actually looks like: more officers, less crime https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.governing.com/topics/public-justice-safety/gov-camden-disbands-police-force-for-new-department.html%3fAMP

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

America is totally different to most other countries, the other side to this is every time a cop pulls over a car or attempts to arrest someone he/she has no guarantee they don't have a gun.

You sound like you haven't an absolute clue what you are on about...

Have you any idea what it takes to police a large American City?

All of what you suggested is noble and all....but will require MORE money and investment....do you understand that much....it will cost MORE to invest in training and non lethal weapons...if you defund the police you would have LESS money....you get that much right?

And that is assuming all those lovely suggestions don't already exist.

Yes, I understand it would all cost more.

I also understand that “defund the police” means defund the current structure.

Tell me all about your extensive expertise in policing a major American city...

That doesn't sound remotely like anything that has been suggested...a broke city let go it's force and rehired them on lower salaries and benefits...

And reduced the amount of minorities on the force...in other words, they whitened themselves up a bit....did you even read this?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,488 ✭✭✭✭walshb

A very simple and easy solution here is to push this on the people. Stop committing crime, stop antagonising cops, stop killing, robbing, raping, drug dealing, embezzling, and being general vermin..

Like George Carlin and the planet. The planet is fine. The people are fooked!

The cops are fine. The people are fooked.

All generally speaking, of course..

• Advertisement

Yes, I understand it would all cost more.

I also understand that “defund the police” means defund the current structure.

Tell me all about your extensive expertise in policing a major American city...

I have no expertise in policing an American city, which is why I'm not stupid enough to think I do....

biko wrote: »
    What racism looks like

image.jpg

Sickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Sickening.

South Africa is still a troubled country :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

America is totally different to most other countries, the other side to this is every time a cop pulls over a car or attempts to arrest someone he/she has no guarantee they don't have a gun.

This is very true. The police force won't be able to police because of the gun culture there which was completely out of hand before now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Yes, I appreciate that roughly a 1000 people dying each year to police shootings is rather excessive compared to most other countries, but then again, few countries allow their citizens to carry firearms.

Tucker Carlson broke down those statistics even further in this post. 1 unarmed black man was killed last year 2019 by the police that didn't attack the officer first or there wasn't a standoff and the officer wasn't charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

You know Derek Chauvin has been charged with second degree murder, right?

You know Derek Chauvin is innocent till proven guilty .

I know this little fact doesn't sit well with some people .

But it's a fact .

South Africa is still a troubled country :(

No wonder the white people want to get out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,560 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What about traffic cops?
    Etc Etc

No, nobody is suggesting any of this.

But yes, maybe more social workers would help people with mental health difficulties would prevent them causing a disturbance to the point of a car and two cops being sent out to investigate.

As said before, a country with cops done up lke they're going in to battle and nurses wearing plastic bags as PPE and teachers have to but supplies out of their own pocket as their priorities wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

No wonder the white people want to get out of there.

You have political parties there condoning racism. Imagine that.
    A comparative study by trade union Solidarity confirmed that South African media give more attention to white-on-black racism; it also found that the South African Human Rights Commission is much more likely to self-initiate investigations into white-on-black racism, and is more lenient in cases of black-on-white racism.

• Advertisement

2u2me wrote: »
    You have political parties there condoning racism. Imagine that.

People have no idea how quickly stability can evaporate to the detriment of all citizens....the US could very easily head that way.

People governing by emotion are dangerous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement