Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

That doesn't sound remotely like anything that has been suggested...a broke city let go it's force and rehired them on lower salaries and benefits...

And reduced the amount of minorities on the force...in other words, they whitened themselves up a bit....did you even read this?

Yes, and it’s exactly what’s being proposed. It’s exhausting talking to someone who’s only looking at the slogans and refusing to engage with what people actually mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

No wonder the white people want to get out of there.

Sure the white folks are being threatened with the removal of their farms because....they're White

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

KiKi III wrote: »
    Yes, and it’s exactly what’s being proposed. It’s exhausting talking to someone who’s only looking at the slogans and refusing to engage with what people actually mean.

Looking at the slogans!!!

I read the article you linked to...you didn't bother reading past the headline.

"There have been other clashes. The makeup of the newly expanded force is more suburban -- and much more white -- than the old city police department. More than two-thirds of the former department’s officers were minorities; they now account for about 43 percent of sworn personnel in a city that is 95 percent minority. That’s a problem, says Colandus “Kelly” Francis, head of the Camden County NAACP. “Most of them had never set foot in the city of Camden,” says Francis. “They don’t know who’s who.” Pastor King also suspects the new majority-white police force must overcome perceptions of kids in the neighborhood who aren’t yet accustomed to seeing them. “It’s going to be very hard for them to step into a place like Camden,” he says. “Maybe they’ll grab it later on, but there’s a whole method to dealing with folks here.”

They had financial problems, so the rebranded and moved the contracts to the county as opposed the city authority....they brought in a load of white officers, plagued the residents with fines, which in turn has allowed them channel resources into the more dangerous areas....

This isn't within a country mile of what you were on about earlier....what you find exhausting is bluffing....do yourself a favour and stop it!

No wonder the white people want to get out of there.

Legislation has been put in place to give black people preference in employment. There is truly institutionalized discrimination taking place. It's about punishment... not creating an equal society.

Looking at the slogans!!!

I read the article you linked to...you didn't bother reading past the headline.

"There have been other clashes. The makeup of the newly expanded force is more suburban -- and much more white -- than the old city police department. More than two-thirds of the former department’s officers were minorities; they now account for about 43 percent of sworn personnel in a city that is 95 percent minority. That’s a problem, says Colandus “Kelly” Francis, head of the Camden County NAACP. “Most of them had never set foot in the city of Camden,” says Francis. “They don’t know who’s who.” Pastor King also suspects the new majority-white police force must overcome perceptions of kids in the neighborhood who aren’t yet accustomed to seeing them. “It’s going to be very hard for them to step into a place like Camden,” he says. “Maybe they’ll grab it later on, but there’s a whole method to dealing with folks here.”

They had financial problems, so the rebranded and moved the contracts to the county as opposed the city authority....they brought in a load of white officers, plagued the residents with fines, which in turn has allowed them channel resources into the more dangerous areas....

This isn't within a country mile of what you were on about earlier....what you find exhausting is bluffing....do yourself a favour and stop it!

Here’s an article that explains the full spectrum of proposals, what it would mean and how it might be implemented.

Try and quit the ad hominems which really do you a disservice and read the article to the end.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/06/06/us/what-is-defund-police-trnd/index.html

The interpretation you’ve chosen to take is the most radical and extreme one. There are a variety of less extreme ones many of which correlate with what happened in Camden NJ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Guess who taught the American police knee on neck restraint? The same country that has no problem getting bipartisan aid from the American senate, should the American taxpayer be happy with this outcome?

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,560 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

People have no idea how quickly stability can evaporate to the detriment of all citizens....the US could very easily head that way.

People governing by emotion are dangerous.

Donald Trump has entered the chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Legislation has been put in place to give black people preference in employment. There is truly institutionalized discrimination taking place. It's about punishment... not creating an equal society.

Equality of outcome they(intersectionalists) want, by any means necessary. Equality of opportunity be damned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

It's beyond laughable Irish people getting on board with this stuff. It's this sweeping idea that all black people are victims, all whites are benefactors of some privilege. Ireland has nothing like the same history of racism which America has nor for all their flaws do our guards have a serious issue of being too heavy handed as American cops do. How can there be white privilege in Ireland when like 95% of the population is white and there was very little history of black people here until the last 25 years or so.

Where's the protests about what's going on in our nursing homes, where's the large scale protest when the government cut special needs assistants in schools a few years back. These idiots are more concerned with something that has no relevance to Ireland and something they can do absolutely nothing about instead of doing some for actual change. It's just virtue signalling and nothing else and not to mention a total slap in the face to our healthcare workers who've been fighting this virus by gathering together in mass groups. Fcuk them tbh.

I would argue as a Deaf Irish Sign Language user the Deaf community has faced more oppression and marginalisation since the formation of the State and even prior to that than the black community in Ireland ever has.

Wheres the outrage for when we were segregated? Wheres the outrage for our linguistic suppression ( when Irish Sign Language, now recognised as a native language of Ireland since 2017, was banned in the past from use because of church and later state policy ) with Deaf people being punished if they were caught signing? Wheres the outrage for the sexual, psychological and emotional abuse the Deaf community suffered at the hands of the Catholic church? Wheres our apology for a lack of access to education, employment, healthcare etc , the list goes on. Those things were happening in the 20th and continue to happen in the 21st century. Oralism for example ( linguistic suppression) was introduced by the Church in 1956 and became official state policy in 1972. That's not that long ago. A lot of posters on this thread were probably alive then yet were unaware of the Deaf being oppressed in such a way. All because we cannot hear.

An average black person in Ireland probably has a lot more privilege than an average Deaf ISL user will ever have.

• Advertisement

Here’s an article that explains the full spectrum of proposals, what it would mean and how it might be implemented.

Try and quit the ad hominems which really do you a disservice and read the article to the end.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/06/06/us/what-is-defund-police-trnd/index.html

The interpretation you’ve chosen to take is the most radical and extreme one. There are a variety of less extreme ones many of which correlate with what happened in Camden NJ.

You have some cheek telling me that my interpretation is the most radical and extreme one....I'm not advocating for the abolition of the police force or the defunding of it....that article is all typical woolly meaningless nonsense you'd expect from a liberal trying to justify an impossible position on a vital social issue.

"It also means dismantling the idea that police are "public stewards" meant to protect communities. Many Black Americans and other people of color don't feel protected by police, McHarris said."....you do realise that a lot of forces are full of black officers...and many people in the black community rely on the police for protection against the criminals in their community.

I'm starting to look forward to this coming election when they try to convince a public that sending a mental health worker to a domestic violence call or a drug gang gun battle where people could/will be armed is the most stupid thing I've ever heard...unless you arm the social worker...and train them how to police such a situation...this is a f##king joke!

Donald Trump has entered the chat.

Ah can you not come up with something better...

Tell me about how the cuts in funding of police will lead to a wonderful world where everyone will be nice and kind!!

Instead of a boring Tump/Troll/etc etc cheap shot!

I'm starting to look forward to this coming election when they try to convince a public that sending a mental health worker to a domestic violence call or a drug gang gun battle where people could/will be armed is the most stupid thing I've ever heard...unless you arm the social worker...and train them how to police such a situation...this is a f##king joke!

Not to worry. They won't take responsibility for any failures/deaths, and excuses will be found to pass the blame elsewhere. Probably on to the police or white people for creating the negative environment, that they have to cope with.

You have some cheek telling me that my interpretation is the most radical and extreme one....I'm not advocating for the abolition of the police force or the defunding of it....that article is all typical woolly meaningless nonsense you'd expect from a liberal trying to justify an impossible position on a vital social issue.

"It also means dismantling the idea that police are "public stewards" meant to protect communities. Many Black Americans and other people of color don't feel protected by police, McHarris said."....you do realise that a lot of forces are full of black officers...and many people in the black community rely on the police for protection against the criminals in their community.

Ah, selective quoting of two paragraphs from a very long article to mislead people who didn’t read it. Good strategy.

Ah can you not come up with something better...

Tell me about how the cuts in funding of police will lead to a wonderful world where everyone will be nice and kind!!

Instead of a boring Tump/Troll/etc etc cheap shot!

I've put it in bold for you as you obviously missed it the first time.
    No, nobody is suggesting any of this.

But yes, maybe more social workers would help people with mental health difficulties would prevent them causing a disturbance to the point of a car and two cops being sent out to investigate.

As said before, a country with cops done up lke they're going in to battle and nurses wearing plastic bags as PPE and teachers have to but supplies out of their own pocket as their priorities wrong.

Ah, selective quoting of two paragraphs from a very long article to mislead people who didn’t read it. Good strategy.

What are you on about strategy...I was hardly going to quote the whole article...you've already linked the article, anyone who wants to read it will...I quoted just one of many ridiculous points in that article....it was a joke...you don't need to be an expert in policing to know how utterly dangerous those proposals were....

That is the second article you have linked, one you didn't even read yourself as it contradicted everything you have being saying all along....and the last one, published by CNN was something you'd expect a 14 year old to produce.

I've put it in bold for you as you obviously missed it the first time.

Ya...I did't even bother justifying that with a response it is so ridiculous, what do you think, should they send social workers out onto the street at night instead of police to talk to drug dealers to see if they can be talked out of committing crime....or have them knocking on doors talking to couples to see if either of them are half thinking about kicking the s##t out of their partner?

The likelihood is that if mental health workers were more available, there would be less need for armed police to deal with events.

Would there still be domestic violence incidents? Of course.
    Would there still be police to deal with them? Of course.

Although, it seems police in the US are often much closer to domestic violence incidents than you might like.
    Two studies have found that at least 40% of police officer families experience domestic violence, (1, 2) in contrast to 10% of families in the general population

Ya...I did't even bother justifying that with a response it is so ridiculous, what do you think, should they send social workers out onto the street at night instead of police to talk to drug dealers to see if they can be talked out of committing crime....or have them knocking on doors talking to couples to see if either of them are half thinking about kicking the s##t out of their partner?

Are you aware of the concept of 'how the prevention is better than the cure' and how that might help reducing the need for police involvement?

The likelihood is that if mental health workers were more available, there would be less need for armed police to deal with events.

Would there still be domestic violence incidents? Of course.
    Would there still be police to deal with them? Of course.

Although, it seems police in the US are often much closer to domestic violence incidents than you might like.

The likelihood that if people went to mass every day there wouldn't be a need for armed police either....and they wouldn't need social workers...isn't that a better idea, make sure everyone goes to mass?

You are making no sense whatsoever, social workers can't predict where a violent incident will occur, unless you appoint a social worker to each and every citizen it is a complete waste of time....you might as well hire a load of fortune tellers in the hope they can identify who is going to kick off next?

• Advertisement

Are you aware of the concept of 'how the prevention is better than the cure' and how that might help reducing the need for police involvement?

Ever hear of community policing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/08/we-often-accuse-the-right-of-distorting-science-but-the-left-changed-the-coronavirus-narrative-overnight

"We often accuse the right of distorting science. But the left changed the coronavirus narrative overnight
    Progressives blithely accepted throwing millions out of work to fight coronavirus but now urge street protests to fight racism"

This is an excellent article that summarises the problem with inconsistency on such an important global health issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Sheriff David Clarke says he predicted 2 years ago that anti-cop sentiment from a hateful ideology,BLM, has fueled this rage against the american police officer.

I also saw this happening. The ideology "BLM" is largely one of intersectionality.

They are able to take over any liberal institution by stacking the court and kicking up fuss. They are unable to takeover the PDs so they want to destroy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

THE_SHEEP wrote: »
    You know Derek Chauvin is innocent till proven guilty .

I know this little fact doesn't sit well with some people .

But it's a fact .

Yeah, it wasn't as if the murder was caught on camera or something incontrovertible like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Charlie Flanagan thinks the Irish are in fact racist. Jaw drop.

https://twitter.com/CharlieFlanagan/status/1270083860907413504

And Normal People actress things racism is 'ingrained' in Irish society because some group of knackers called her a chink.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0608/1146152-normal-peoples-aoife-hinds-racially-abused-in-dublin/

The likelihood that if people went to mass every day there wouldn't be a need for armed police either....and they wouldn't need social workers...isn't that a better idea, make sure everyone goes to mass?

You are making no sense whatsoever, social workers can't predict where a violent incident will occur, unless you appoint a social worker to each and every citizen it is a complete waste of time....you might as well hire a load of fortune tellers in the hope they can identify who is going to kick off next?

Lol at the first paragraph, and then the opening sentence of the second.

About the level of intellectual debate generally present amongst those railing against any shift from what they think is normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

More 'very fine' white supremacists trying to cause chaos at peaceful protests.

08xp-unrest-rogers-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

Man who drove through group of protesters is leader of KKK
    HENRICO, Va. (WWBT) - Police say a man from Hanover County has been arrested after driving through a group of protesters Sunday evening.

On June 7 at approximately 5:45 p.m., Henrico County police received a call about an incident that occurred during the protest walk on Lakeside Avenue near Vale Street.

An adult victim had stopped to report the incident in the city near the AP Hill Monument.

“It was really peaceful, lots of kids there, lots of families,” said protester Adriana Ross.

Ross and Campanella separately saw their peaceful protest nearly devolve into chaos.

“People had been revving their engine in support, but all of a sudden it wasn’t going in the opposite direction," said Campanella. “I turn around and I just see panic - people running and grabbing their kids, and trying to protect their kids. That was the most heartbreaking part; trying to grab them on to the sidewalks and medians.”

"I really thought this was going to be another version of Charlottesville, only worse,” said Ross.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

owlbethere wrote: »
    I haven't seen the video you're talking about. It's despicable carry on. I can't understand it. I don't understand how they are making the English police to be guilty by association over police brutality in America. I read on another place that, these people rioting and attacking others are stabbing people in the anus so that people have to rely on a bag for the rest of their lives. I don't know how true that is. They want police brutality to be dealt with by using using violence and brut themselves. My support for the movement is all but gone now.

All in the name of BLM they called for this and here it is, it's ridiculous them rioting in the UK and else where outside the US its just bandwagoners thug scum at it now any excuse but no doubt about it BLM have blood on there hands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

In regards to defunding police or restructuring their police forces-

The ideal here is to get rid of their bloated budgets and re-direct those funds. Treat the ROOT of these issues, and not use police forces as armed social workers. Treating mental health issues instead of responding with force. Treating drug/alcohol addiction issues or trauma with treatment instead of police violence. Tackling the issues of homelessness by providing support programs instead of responding with police force. Youth intervention programs, more investment and funding in education systems, tackling income inequality Etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

Yeah, it wasn't as if the murder was caught on camera or something incontrovertible like that.

Haven't a clue what your talking about ( ie a murder caught on camera ) .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement