Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Then you haven’t read through the sources provided. You know what they say, you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink.

As for the snapshot, as explained, the sources were for the societal info, the snapshot was for a use-case scenario. Just trying to be helpful by going above and beyond for ya.

I learned yesterday that there is no point in trying to be an educator here. It really is a futile exercise as minds are unwilling to be changed and the same old arguments come up again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

This was posted on a different thread. It is the BLM manifesto.

https://archive.fo/dGyqs

Most of these things for me, seem reasonable enough, and would benefit society in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Another police officer being charged
    https://www.thejournal.ie/new-york-cop-charged-5118451-Jun2020/

Interestingly, and despite some of the opinions on this thread that there is nothing wrong, seems a lot of people closer to the situation would beg to differ.

Equating 'nothing wrong' with disagreeing about the tenets of 'systemic racism' seems a false equivalence.

This article lists the many initiatives started since the protests, but most of them are just for show and completely in vain.

Take for example the lynching bill that was introduced with bi-partisan support. One of the few people who was advocating for such a thing before all this mess, Rand Paul, was the only person against it; only because the language was too vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Overheal wrote: »
    Wow yeah oh god you’re right

“100 cellphones! I fear for my life!” Blam blam blam

Court: Ah yeah well if you think about it from the right angle in the perfect light during the solstice, cellphones are very threatening when you work a job that’s not used to public oversight. Case dismissed!

Hmmm, The 'in fear of my life' is a saying one uses in Ireland to mean 'be afraid', it doesn't have to actually mean to be in fear for your life.

You have been living on the East Coast too long. But yea, ignore the point I am making, it makes your world view much more easy and comfortable, instead of having to actually think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,829 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

‘The system can’t be racist. Racists don’t exist in the system!’

A former U.S. Navy captain has resigned from the Naval Academy Alumni Association (USNA) Board of Trustees amid apologies for a number of racist comments he made during a Facebook Live stream.

The trouble began over the weekend when retired captain Scott Bethmann and his wife, Nancy, held a conversation while watching news about the Black Lives Matter protests following the death of George Floyd. At one point, Bethmann accidentally started a Facebook Live broadcast where he and his wife were heard cursing and making derogatory comments about African Americans, Asian Americans and women.

“I’ve got the emails about how we’re supporting and we need to fix this problem. F*ck you,” Captain Bethmann says at one point. “So all the white people have to say something nice to the black b*tch that works in the office. But the black b*tch don’t get fired. It’s bullsh*t. Management’s going to fire the white people.”

After Mrs. Bethmann groans about “F*cking Asians from China who love to steal all of our intellectual property,” she was recorded warning her husband about what he says in public.

“You better watch yourself on that board,” she says, to which, Bethmann responds “I don’t say anything, that’s my point. I just said the white motherf*ckers can’t say anything. That’s the point we’re making here, Nancy.”

Bethmann was also heard saying the N-word before realizing he was live and turning the stream off. His Facebook page has been scrubbed, but the broadcast sparked significant outcry and the USNA announced his resignation on Saturday.

Bethmann also sent statements to the media, apologizing for the comments from him and his wife:

There are no words that can appropriately express how mortified and apologetic my wife and I are about the insensitive things we said that were captured on social media…I know that an apology from us rings hollow on many ears in our community, especially in the current environment. We intend on using this experience as an opportunity to grow, listen, learn, and reflect. We are deeply sorry for the impact our actions have had on the Naval Academy, my fellow servicemen and women, our former colleagues, friends, family, and the community as a whole. We are committed to educating ourselves more on the racial inequalities in this country and being better people.

Watch above, via WJXT.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/retired-navy-captain-apologizes-after-making-racist-comments-caught-on-facebook-live/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    These things take organisation and enough publicity to let us all know it’s happening on a large scale. The BLM movement has international attention and social leaders on the subject here that went to the effort of putting a march together, and then used the hot-button aspect of it to get the word shared around. And clearly it worked, in that 1) people heard about it existing, and 2) it resonated just enough for some to head out for a day.
    ... and 3) didn't give a crap that we're in the middle of a pandemic, or about the lives they were putting at risk. It's only other people's lives anyway,

joe40 wrote: »
    This was posted on a different thread. It is the BLM manifesto.

https://archive.fo/dGyqs

Most of these things for me, seem reasonable enough, and would benefit society in general.

The ones that aren't reasonable enough are a worry though. They are bordering on a supremacist ideology.

Although I completely reject their premise there is a war on blacks; These are the ones that could make real change happen IMO.
    • An end to capital punishment.
    • An end to money bail, mandatory fines, fees, court surcharges and “defendant funded” court proceedings.
    • An end to the use of past criminal history to determine eligibility for housing, education, licenses, voting, loans, employment, and other services and needs.
    • The demilitarization of law enforcement, including law enforcement in schools and on college campuses.
    • An immediate end to the privatization of police, prisons, jails, probation, parole, food, phone and all other criminal justice related services.

Why the need for the horrible stuff in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I learned yesterday that there is no point in trying to be an educator here. It really is a futile exercise as minds are unwilling to be changed and the same old arguments come up again and again.

There are some people whose minds you’ll never change. But there are many others reading who may not know the information you’re providing, so it’s valuable to them.

2u2me wrote: »
    The ones that aren't reasonable enough are a worry though. They are bordering on a supremacist ideology.

Although I completely reject their premise there is a war on blacks; These are the ones that could make real change happen IMO.
    • An end to capital punishment.
    • An end to money bail, mandatory fines, fees, court surcharges and “defendant funded” court proceedings.
    • An end to the use of past criminal history to determine eligibility for housing, education, licenses, voting, loans, employment, and other services and needs.
    • The demilitarization of law enforcement, including law enforcement in schools and on college campuses.
    • An immediate end to the privatization of police, prisons, jails, probation, parole, food, phone and all other criminal justice related services.

Why the need for the horrible stuff in there.

I agree your post, but I fail to see the "horrible stuff"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Why do you think you are in a position to educate?

We are talking about the 700,000 strong Police Force in the US a country with 350,000,000 people...none of us know what we are talking about are in no position to educate anyone.

What we are in is a wave of hysteria so it is not easy to discern what the issue is

Is there a problem with the Police Force in the US?
    Is it endemic or rare?
    Does it affect one gender?
    Is that because one gender commits the most crime?
    Is it racism?
    Is that because that race commits the most crime?
    Is it because officers are underpaid and/or understaffed?
    Is it because of training issues?
    Is it because of recruitment issues?

But the like's of you can only see one emotive issue because you have succumb to hysteria and then you exhaust yourself trying to justify the purely ridiculous position.

And you believe that we should take you seriously as some kind of educator...go away out of it!

• Advertisement

KiKi III wrote: »
    There are some people whose minds you’ll never change. But there are many others reading who may not know the information you’re providing, so it’s valuable to them.

You've an open mind then....is the US Police force sexist?

It arrests men in huge numbers.
    It falsely convicts men in huge numbers.
    It shoots dead men in huge numbers.
    It stops and searches men in huge numbers.

It must be sexist then right?

joe40 wrote: »
    I agree your post, but I fail to see the "horrible stuff"

This is what I see as horrible, because it only creates further racial divide. It seems these problems are felt by poor people alike both black and white, however disproportionately.

These statements are built upon a premise that most reasonable people disagree with.
    • We demand an end to the war against Black people
    • An immediate end to the criminalization and dehumanization of Black youth
    • An end to the war on Black immigrants
    • An end to the war on Black trans, queer and gender nonconforming people
    • An end to the mass surveillance of Black communities, and the end to the use of technologies that criminalize and target our communities (including IMSI catchers, drones, body cameras, and predictive policing software).
    • Until we achieve a world where cages are no longer used against our people we demand an immediate change in conditions

You've an open mind then....is the US Police force sexist?

It arrests men in huge numbers.
    It falsely convicts men in huge numbers.
    It shoots dead men in huge numbers.
    It stops and searches men in huge numbers.

It must be sexist then right?

If you can find statistics supporting that, sure. Plenty of data shows for instance that blacks are convicted much more often than whites and more severely for equal crimes. Is there some crime women do at an equal rate to men that they aren’t equally prosecuted for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

But the like's of you can only see one emotive issue because you have succumb to hysteria and then you exhaust yourself trying to justify the purely ridiculous position.

Nope. You really seem to know me and my opinions in depth but I'm afraid I can't say the same about you so I'll leave it there.

If you can find statistics supporting that, sure. Plenty of data shows for instance that blacks are convicted much more often than whites and more severely for equal crimes. Is there some crime women do at an equal rate to men that they aren’t equally prosecuted for?

The disparity you're talking about is far greater among the sexes, for the same crimes. In sentencing and treatment.
    After controlling for the arrest offense, criminal history, and other prior characteristics, "men receive 63% longer sentences on average than women do," and "[w]omen are…twice as likely to avoid incarceration if convicted." This gender gap is about six times as large as the racial disparity that Prof. Starr found in another recent paper.

https://www.law.umich.edu/newsandinfo/features/Pages/starr_gender_disparities.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Nermal

I learned yesterday that there is no point in trying to be an educator here. It really is a futile exercise as minds are unwilling to be changed.

Just quoting so we can all take time to savour the irony.

No, men commit the most crime...we all know it, is it because men are oppressed? well I'll leave that to the twitteratti and gender studies students to decide.

The disparity you're talking about is far greater among the sexes, for the same crimes. In sentencing and treatment.

https://www.law.umich.edu/newsandinfo/features/Pages/starr_gender_disparities.aspx

Interesting.

Using these same methodologies it’s also found that there is systemic racism. Blacks receiving more arrests and prison time for equal crimes as their white counterparts.

Nope. You really seem to know me and my opinions in depth but I'm afraid I can't say the same about you so I'll leave it there.

Stunning and brave.

• Advertisement

Interesting.

Using these same methodologies it’s also found that there is systemic racism. Blacks receiving more arrests and prison time for equal crimes as their white counterparts.

Can you explain that one to me...blacks receiving more arrests for equal crimes?

Can you explain that one to me...blacks receiving more arrests for equal crimes?

https://www.aclu.org/gallery/marijuana-arrests-numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Interesting.

Tell that to Nicole Brown Simpsons family

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Stunning and brave.

You keep forgetting to be civil silent. Surely you’re not holding other posters to a standard you’re incapable of meeting yourself.

#bekind

southstar wrote: »
    Tell that to Nicole Brown Simpsons family

Uh huh.

“OJ was acquitted you guys the racism is over”

What’s in your kool aid? Can I have some?

No, men commit the most crime...we all know it, is it because men are oppressed? well I'll leave that to the twitteratti and gender studies students to decide.

There are biological differences between Men and women, there are no biological differences between black people and white people. So that analogy doesn't really fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Why the hell is there a live stream of this guy's funeral on RTE, did anyone let the wokies in RTE know this guy's last stint in Jail was for armed robbery of a pregnant woman where he shoved the gun into her unborn baby.
    Absolutely shocking wokness from RTE. Disgraceful they can shove their TV licence where the sun doesn't shine. Shameful.
    #defundrte

Ah, ok, thank you, that is interesting.

That is assuming those figure's are reliable.

This is what I see as horrible, because it only creates further racial divide. It seems these problems are felt by poor people alike both black and white, however disproportionately.

These statements are built upon a premise that most reasonable people disagree with.
    • We demand an end to the war against Black people
    • An immediate end to the criminalization and dehumanization of Black youth
    • An end to the war on Black immigrants
    • An end to the war on Black trans, queer and gender nonconforming people
    • An end to the mass surveillance of Black communities, and the end to the use of technologies that criminalize and target our communities (including IMSI catchers, drones, body cameras, and predictive policing software).
    • Until we achieve a world where cages are no longer used against our people we demand an immediate change in conditions

BLM was set up to protest against police brutality and violence against black people. It is not their job to protest all inequality that would not be possible and plenty of poor white people might actually reject them.

You called this black supremacy earlier and is rejected by most reasonable people.

I would like to call myself a reasonable person and find very little there to reject.

• Advertisement

KiKi III wrote: »
    You keep forgetting to be civil silent. Surely you’re not holding other posters to a standard you’re incapable of meeting yourself.

#bekind

It is just you I have an issue with, you have cursed at me a number of times, you have implied I may have psychological issues previously, every one else can handle a little bit bump and grind...you tend to let your emotions get the better of you...

#dontgetyourknickersinatwisthoney

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement