Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,672 ✭✭✭✭walshb

KiKi III wrote: »
    So if an area has a high level of black people committing crime, law-abiding black
    people should have to put up with that *and* being profiled for police brutality.

That seems fair.

What?

Police target behaviours...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

It is just you I have an issue with, you have cursed at me a number of times, you have implied I may have psychological issues previously, every one else can handle a little bit bump and grind...you tend to let your emotions get the better of you...

#dontgetyourknickersinatwisthoney

So you need me to be nice to you because you’re a grown adult who gets upset by bad words, but you’re allowed to call people morons or write belittling posts like “Stunning and brave”.

Intellectual integrity means holding yourself to the same standards you hold others to. So, if you’re going to demand that I be civil, it’s only logical that you would model being civil in all your posts.

Also, not sure you get how hashtags work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

joe40 wrote: »
    There are biological differences between Men and women, there are no biological differences between black people and white people. So that analogy doesn't really fit.

But men get greater sentences than women who are convicted for the same crime....

Here I'll post it again

https://www.law.umich.edu/newsandinfo/features/Pages/starr_gender_disparities.aspx

walshb wrote: »
    What?

So what behaviour were they targeting in the following cases
    - Breonna Taylor
    - Philando Castile
    - George Floyd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

But men get greater sentences than women who are convicted for the same crime....

Here I'll post it again

https://www.law.umich.edu/newsandinfo/features/Pages/starr_gender_disparities.aspx

Well that's just reverse sexism, not the topic here.

• Advertisement

So you need me to be nice to you because you’re a grown adult who gets upset by bad words, but you’re allowed to call people morons or write belittling posts like “Stunning and brave”.

Intellectual integrity means holding yourself to the same standards you hold others to. So, if you’re going to demand that I be civil, it’s only logical that you would model being civil in all your posts.

It is only you I have a problem with, don't have to be nice to me at all, I'd rather you didn't curse or suggest I have psychological issues as you have done previously....it's only a debate...no need to get the knickers in a twist.

If I curse at you feel free to pull me up on it.

Here I'll post it again

Sounds like one more reason to dismantle and rebuild the criminal justice system so that it treats everyone the same across race, gender, religion etc.

Welcome to the movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

#truecolours

It is only you I have a problem with, don't have to be nice to me at all, I'd rather you didn't curse or suggest I have psychological issues as you have done previously....it's only a debate...no need to get the knickers in a twist.

One of us has our knickers in a twist and it ain’t me.

I take it you’ll be more civil from now on since that’s the standard you’ve set.

Sounds like one more reason to dismantle and rebuild the criminal justice system so that it treats everyone the same across race, gender, religion etc.

Welcome to the movement.

I have always been an advocate for equality...like most sane people.

• Advertisement

So what behaviour were they targeting in the following cases
    - Breonna Taylor
    - Philando Castile
    - George Floyd

Wow. Picking three incidents out of millions of people and incidents..

George Floyd’s behaviour had him targeted. That is a fact..

What happened after is irrelevant..

The cops didn’t seek him out. His behaviour warranted them investigating..

Wow. Picking three incidents out of millions of people and incidents..

George Floyd’s behaviour had him targeted. That is a fact..

What happened after is irrelevant..y

The cops didn’t seek him out. His behaviour warranted them investigating..

See every time I ask you a question you deflect.

What did Brianna Taylor do to warrant being shot dead?

What did Philando Castile do to warrant being shot dead?

And since when is being choked to death in the street the appropriate response to someone who is not resisting arrest and is on suspicion of maybe passing $20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

William Smith O'Brian, another white man who never acknowledged his privilege.

103536252_176855853796879_8225943195420906195_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=K8ECu4hkGv0AX9_9568&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr3-1.fna&_nc_tp=6&oh=a7dc582e54a4ba5f45996c509b500835&oe=5F06AEA5

See every time I ask you a question you deflect.

What did Brianna Taylor do to warrant being shot dead?

What did Philando Castile do to warrant being shot dead?

And since when is being choked to death in the street the appropriate response to someone who is not resisting arrest and is on suspicion of maybe passing $20.

You missed my point.

Floyd’s behaviour meant that the police targeted him.

The cops aren’t sitting around thinking up ways to bring death and hurt and brutality against people...

That is not to say that it never happens. It happens everywhere only earth, at times. This is life. No perfect system.

You plucking a couple example here and there out of millions is rubbish..

We all know death and hurt and brutality, and accidents happen with people and police..

There is far far far far more examples of cops getting it right, doing their jobs, serving their people and protecting their people....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

They were probably aware he was a criminal who committed armed robberies, what happened after they had the cuffs on him is inexcusable. Let's not pretend he was some innocent victim who was innocently targeted, he was arrested in the middle of committing another crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You missed my point.

The cops aren’t sitting around thinking up ways to bring death and hurt and brutality against people...

That is not to say that it never happens. It happens everywhere only earth, at times. This is life. No perfect system.

We all know death and hurt and brutality, and accidents happen with people and police..

There is far far far far more examples of cops getting it right, doing their jobs, serving their people and protecting their people....

Duh!
    That's why so many people are protesting. Why should death and hurt and brutality be accepted?

Thankfully people are saying that that is no longer good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Overheal wrote: »

They are already making marijuana legal in a number of states. I'd say before we know it it will be legal in most places, including Ireland.

Police will no longer have such discretion on matters, seems a good fix.

"The Wire"(one of the best shows ever made) creator David Simon basically argued throughout five seasons that most of the problems came about because of drugs laws. He makes a great argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

2u2me wrote: »
    They are already making marijuana legal in a number of states. I'd say before we know it it will be legal in most places, including Ireland.

Nothing is changing at the federal level.
    Cannabis is schedule I, which means it is considered one of the most harmful drugs in the US.

Armed Garda have recently raided people who had very low THC, CBD cannabis in their possession here in Ireland. Again the armed decision is reserved for people considered to be high level criminals.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It is just you I have an issue with, you have cursed at me a number of times, you have implied I may have psychological issues previously, every one else can handle a little bit bump and grind...you tend to let your emotions get the better of you...

#dontgetyourknickersinatwisthoney

Not only are you trying to divert the topic, but you are being uncivil in doing so

Do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

peddlelies wrote: »
    Let's not pretend he was some innocent victim who was innocently targeted, he was arrested in the middle of committing another crime.

Are posters doing that though? I haven't heard seen anyone claim that he shouldn't have been arrested. Most people are taking issue with the fact that he was killed during the arrest, which shouldn't be as controversial an opinion as those who like to point out his history would like it to be.

• Advertisement

Nothing is changing at the federal level.

While this may be true; their culture of cracking down on it in states where it's 'legal' has changed.

Every country still has outlandish laws in existence that are no longer imposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,830 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You missed my point.

So because cops often get it right it is unconscionable to call them out when they get it wrong?

Weak effort mate

peddlelies wrote: »
    They were probably aware he was a criminal who committed armed robberies, what happened after they had the cuffs on him is inexcusable. Let's not pretend he was some innocent victim who was innocently targeted, he was arrested in the middle of committing another crime.

A non violent crime. As long as we are making a context argument.

Police will no longer have such discretion on matters, seems a good fix.

"The Wire"(one of the best shows ever made) creator David Simon basically argued throughout five seasons that most of the problems came about because of drugs laws. He makes a great argument.

It’s one example of systemic racism in policing. Yeah sure great legalize pot, I’m 100% for that. But that won’t eliminate racism in policing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

This is what I see as horrible, because it only creates further racial divide. It seems these problems are felt by poor people alike both black and white, however disproportionately.

These statements are built upon a premise that most reasonable people disagree with.
    • We demand an end to the war against Black people
    • An immediate end to the criminalization and dehumanization of Black youth
    • An end to the war on Black immigrants
    • An end to the war on Black trans, queer and gender nonconforming people
    • An end to the mass surveillance of Black communities, and the end to the use of technologies that criminalize and target our communities (including IMSI catchers, drones, body cameras, and predictive policing software).
    • Until we achieve a world where cages are no longer used against our people we demand an immediate change in conditions

It is only horrible to folks that are, at best, incredibly insecure.

It is like looking at a manifesto from a farmers union and getting upset that they don't mention the plight of taxi drivers.

So because cops often get it right it is unconscionable to call them out when they get it wrong?

Weak effort mate

Nobody said that rogue cops and cops’ wrongdoing cannot be called out.

It’s one example of systemic racism in policing. Yeah sure great legalize pot, I’m 100% for that. But that won’t eliminate racism in policing.

Have you seen "The Wire"?
    Some people, including myself, think that the show will provide you with such an empathy-rich experience that when you have finished you may potentially see the world a little bit differently, that you'll feel a little bit closer to all of the people you share this country with, no matter how different their persona or background is from your own. By this measure, your persistence and patience given to the show will be repaid 10-fold.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0306414/?ref_=vp_back

Foxtrol wrote: »
    It is only horrible to folks that are, at best, incredibly insecure.

It is like looking at a manifesto from a farmers union and getting upset that they don't mention the plight of taxi drivers.

Find me one article where farmers refer to themselves as 'our people' and i'll take your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Their unions and other cops they work with have.

Did you see the crowds cheering for the guys that have been charged for attacking peaceful protesters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

It is happening far too often and it is not been called out enough. This president does not have the power to solve the problem, I know that but he is fanning the flames.

I'm not anti police but these stories are simply too frequent. Something has to change the status quo is not working.

This article is very good, I would encourage reading more than just the headline.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/04/american-police-violence-against-black-people

Especially about the guy at Trump's acceptance of his nomination to run for president.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement