Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

So.....everyone is racist? Or everyone isn't racist? Or that everyone insults other people?

What's the angle? Are white people still ****?

Where has anyone said that about white people?

Is this another one of those 2+2+incredible insecurity=5 situations?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,624 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Overheal wrote: »
    Then why are you calling such calling out “rubbish?”

No. Read again.

Picking out couple examples here and there of what people believe to be wrongdoing, to use as some claim that the police are corrupt, is rubbish

There is context. Try and follow it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

How do you know that he was aware it was a fake $20?

How do you know chauvin didn't kill him by accident ?

Where do ya wanna draw the line for being ridiculous?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Like a number of posters here, the lack of self awareness from this police union guy is incredible.

Crying 'stop treating us like animals and thugs' despite the fact that is exactly what police forces have been doing to minority communities for decades and again to peaceful protesters over the last 2 weeks.

https://twitter.com/AugustTakala/status/1270399690912272384?s=20

Generalize much? You have 700K cops making 10m+ arrests every year in the US. Talk about lack of self awareness. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 25,545 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Cupatae wrote: »

Easy to not notice if a note is fake

Not so easy to notice that a man is dying under your knee after you kneel on him for 9 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,796 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

JJayoo wrote: »
    Ya let's defund the cops

BBC News - Chicago sees deadliest day in 60 years amid protests
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52984535

"Chicago saw its deadliest day in at least 60 years last month, with 18 killings within a 24-hour period on 31 May."

"
    Over the last weekend in May - a three day holiday - 85 people were shot and 24 killed, according to the University of Chicago Crime Lab."

"Mr Kapustin added that protests over Mr Floyd's 25 May death in police custody may have distracted Chicago Police Department (CPD) resources from normal patrol duties."

"When CPD has to turn its attention elsewhere and there's suddenly this vacuum that opens up, you also unfortunately see a picture like you saw with [last] weekend where you see an absurd amount of carnage, people getting injured and killed," he said. "

Criminals took advantage of a very public diversion of police forces shocker.

That will be the case regardless of size of any given police force. Even if a precinct kept the same patrols, and added staff to respond to a protest or a riot, news of that riot would still inspire an increase in crime elsewhere in the jurisdiction. So, I don’t see that this is an automatic condemnation of the debate to sequester funds away from police, who are rolling around with chemical weapons and MRAPs while doctors and nurses are shuffling around wearing trash bags and makeshift PPE.

I personally think there was more to it than accidental..

But I get your point.

joe40 wrote: »
    I don't doubt the story is true, it has been well documented and mentioned here on numerous occasions. I just find it amusing that you came on the story in a hip hop website.

Well I thought it d be less likely to be descredited if it was coming from a source that is based on music culturally dominated by black people.

But of course you attacked the only thing you could the source cause the facts were untouchable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,364 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 31,683 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

https://classichiphopmagazine.com/editor/2020/6/8/george-floyd-posed-as-a-water-company-man-to-rob-a-pregnant-woman

That's the hero being cheered for.The double standards are unreal .

The snowflakes will reel off how many black people are in jail but conviently leave stuff like this out.

Dude... we had a decent chat last week privately, where you told me you were intent only on learning, and finding the genuine heart of the situation. And then you post this?

Come on man, you’re better than that... no one is calling George Floyd a hero, rather than simply stating he was a man who did not deserve to die. Who committed no crime worthy of slow, agonising death, without trial or even charge.

Using right wing rhetoric like snowflakes doesn’t exactly help either.. like, it’s grand, but it’s just an invocation of a political strata to which I wouldn’t have thought you wanted to belong, from our chat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,364 ✭✭✭xtal191

Where has anyone said that about white people?

Is this another one of those 2+2+incredible insecurity=5 situations?

No insecurities here chief. I'm apparently living my privileged life.

Feel sorry for all the minorities though. You feeling the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

walshb wrote: »
    No. Read again.

Picking out couple examples here and there of what people believe to be wrongdoing, to use as some claim that the police are corrupt, is rubbish

There is context. Try and follow it.

You are describing innocent people been shot as a

"couple of examples here and there of what people believe to be wrongdoing"

Seriously, you can't dismiss these killings that easily.

They may not be overtly racist, that is true but there is a pattern which suggests otherwise, and it is very wrong to dismiss lose of life in such a blase fashion.

Each one of those deaths is a tragedy.

xtal191 wrote: »

That is one big man.

Not nice to see him getting hit, but the cop in question had to bring him down, and he was not cooperating.

So just lump all cops in? Great approach...so all black people are theiving scum because I have seen videos of some black people looting?

Or do you just use generalisations when it suits?

That is the lack of self-awareness. They have been proven to racially profile but then cry about being profiled themselves.

I don't like generalizing but if cops don't want to be lumped in together they need to kick out the bad apples and be open to reform. Instead their unions are refusing to admit there is a problem, fighting reform, and celebrating their colleagues that are charged with crimes.

https://twitter.com/enoughbadapples/status/1270153472109957120?s=20

https://twitter.com/FirenzeMike/status/1269993700937138177?s=20

https://twitter.com/bobbydupree/status/1269294976669642752?s=20

So just lump all cops in? Great approach...so all black people are theiving scum because I have seen videos of some black people looting?

Or do you just use generalisations when it suits?

Nah you can't do that you can only make generalization s when it is benifical to the BLM and the snowflakes that follow it's agenda.

Cops = Bad Guys
    Black Community = all victims

Is the jist of how this tread is going.

The delusion?

That there's some mass travesty happening to all black people in America that is imposed by some external power and that they are devoid of all chance and oppertunity based on there skin color and that the black community are exempt of all fault or responsibility for there current circumstances.

What's the KKK and dlyan what ever his name have to do with gf and the current riots ? I think ya missed the bus for that one.

George Floyd was murdered over $20. Dylan Roof got arrested without being brutalized, and was fed Burger King. Do you need a map?

The underlined bit is just some out your hole rubbish strawman of your own design and not deserving of much more response than that.

You are describing innocent people been shot as a

"couple of examples here and there of what people believe to be wrongdoing"

Seriously, you can't dismiss these killings that easily.

They may not be overtly racist, that is true but there is a pattern which suggests otherwise, and it is very wrong to dismiss lose of life in such a blase fashion.

Each one of those deaths is a tragedy.

And I clearly said that death and hurt and tragedy and accidents happen..

Millions and millions of cop scenarios in the U.S. every year....

There will always, sadly, be instances (albeit a very very small number) that are down to mistakes, recklessness and over-zealous cops.

These incidents are not down to a corrupt force....

So you're also on the side of police reform?

Welcome aboard!

No insecurities here chief. I'm apparently living my privileged life.

Feel sorry for all the minorities though. You feeling the same?

What nonsense were you talking about white people then?

• Advertisement

Nah you can't do that you can only make generalization s when it is benifical to the BLM and the snowflakes that follow it's agenda.

Cops = Bad Guys

Literally nobody has said that, and why are you calling people snowflakes? It's really silly.

So you're also on the side of police reform?

Welcome aboard!

What was wrong with the clip?

Did the black officer not do his job? Was he exhibiting police brutality, or did he need to do as he did to restrain that very large man, who did lash out?

Maybe the cop saw and felt and heard that this man was a threat....?

Overheal wrote: »
    George Floyd was murdered over $20. Dylan Roof got arrested without being brutalized, and was fed Burger King. Do you need a map?

The underlined bit is just some out your hole rubbish strawman of your own design and not deserving of much more response than that.

He was 100% murdered .

It's almost as if no two situations are the same... Do you need a map? Oh wait your blindly following the mob, you ll be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,683 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Cops = Bad Guys

I find it’s actually only the pro-cop folks that are making absurdist overstatements like this, while pro blm folks have generally been more nuanced... a huuuge part of the problem is that black communities are poorer, with fewer opportunities, and so more likely to end up involved in crime. As well as the systemic problems Black folks have to deal with in the here and now, these are things that have to be tackled so the next generations have a better fairer chance.

America is reeeaallyy bad at that though. I’ve personally seen it in action with the homelessness in LA, where on top of not dealing with the current homeless crisis, they are also not providing the necessary social care to the people who will become homeless tomorrow. If they did that, and at least stopped the numbers from spiralling, it would be a huge help, and save an absolute bloody fortune. But alas, there’s been little sign of it over the past 8 years I’ve lived there. There have at least been murmurings of such more recently, but I’ll not hold my breath...

Literally nobody has said that, and why are you calling people snowflakes? It's really silly.

You ve clearly missed a lot of posts. Like one or two pages ago...

There will always, sadly, be instances (albeit a very very small number) that are down to mistakes, recklessness and over-zealous cops.

Given how police forces are fighting reforms and have been consistently found to have lied over the last week then it bring your point on corruption into question (big thread in link)

https://twitter.com/Relentlessbored/status/1269769130422538240?s=20

Why does it not happen here, UK Canada, Australia or any European country to anywhere near the same extent.

I never went as far as saying police are all corrupt but there definitely seems to be a mentality or ethos of extreme violence with very little accountability.

That needs to change. If BLM acts as a catalyst for that change then that has to be a good thing.

If these protests result in reforms that ultimately save lives I'm all for that. Big "if" I know but reform has to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Yeah, Derek Chauvin had about 19 “accidents” on his record but I notice you’re not dragging up articles about that.

Must have been very clumsy to have all those accidents.

Some might even say he wasn’t well suited to police work. Some might say if his superiors had responded appropriately to the barrage of previous complaints against him George Floyd’s children would still have a Dad.

In fact most Americans everyday on social media discuss “inner city violence.” Amazing that I never see Fox News do a Sunday documentary piece on it either, you know? :rolleyes:

There were probably also murders in Birmingham, or Colorado Springs. But nobody ever talks about that? Conspiracy!

Or could it be that people absorb that through local news? It is rare to read or hear people discuss murders in my town or county, and sure it happens. I think Irish people misconstrue the scope of Gun violence in the United States. While I could appreciate that if someone was shot dead in Ennis it would be the talk of the region, here in the US it’s any other night and it’s across town with scant public details anyway. The electorate is more interested when a police officer - the institution that’s supposed to solve and help prevent said murders - appears to be abusing his authority to murder someone in custody.

• Advertisement

He was 100% murdered .

It's almost as if no two situations are the same... Do you need a map? Oh wait your blindly following the mob, you ll be alright.

I’m not sure what you’re getting at. Do you not agree that neither situation called for murdering an arrestee?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement