Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Cupatae wrote: »
    There's actually a debate over whether he was bad or not.. that's where this thread is, some people are on the fence about someone who held a gun to a pregnant womans belly in order to rob her with 5 of his buddies is good or bad, some have even offered a defense that he didn't know he d a forged note.. away with the birds some people are, bless the innocences

Ah sir, you're losing it now. Not one person has justified Floyd's past actions or crimes.

It is that in the context of his killing by police his past is not relevant. The only thing relevant is his killing.

Even if his crime had of been a capital offense the police are still not entitled to kill him.

This is not difficult to understand. I can accept different positions/opinions but not willfully changing the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Too many of ye to reply to but ive seen ye offer up page after page of excuses for the black community but never once have I seen ye mention anything negative or attach any sort of responsibility to the black community for there struggles , not once.. to say that some of ye are completely biased would be an absolute understatement

No race is that squeeky clean or that exempt of blame for there struggles... But reading the stuff being posted I'm surprised every man woman and child in the black community isn't sainted at this stage.

As I said before the current mantra is it's always someone else's fault everyone else's but our own!

There's no balance in this discussion what so ever it's all one way traffic vs the cops , the white man , the system ECT ECT

There is a fundamental difference between the actions of civilians and the actions of the state.

For example, the actions of the IRA didn't excuse the British Army actions on Bloody Sunday.

What you and others on this thread have been doing is akin to saying that if the catholic community in the north could just handle the IRA there wouldnt be any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,050 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Every time the police gather and applaud other cops who have assaulted, or killed someone they show they whole world their true colours.

That’s scary.

How are those peaceful protests going... it’s time to get serious with these scumbags. Trump was dead right two weeks ago.

Thanks for your concern, they are going great.

Police have learned their lessons and backed off. Incredible numbers turned out at the weekend and daily in both big cities and small towns, including the south, and there were huge solidarity marches around the world.

They're actually getting a lot of positive results also, many cities and states are caving to their demands.

Not sure about Trump though, he seems to be hiding in the White House and tweeting crazy Russian conspiracy theories.

Every time the police gather and applaud other cops who have assaulted, or killed someone they show they whole world their true colours.

Clip I shared earlier of the police union where someone has added some statement context.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1270451011677798402?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

George Floyd was a ****ing scumbag. Did he deserve to die the way he did? No way. Am I glad he is dead? Not at all. And I sad that he is dead. No.

I believe in criminal reform. I believe once they serve their time we should give them a second chance. This means giving them the benefit of the doubt in future situations.

What if he had saved someone's life the day before, would this make you sad about him? Surely there's many things we don't know about his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,323 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

That’s scary.

How are those peaceful protests going... it’s time to get serious with these scumbags. Trump was dead right two weeks ago.

The scary thing is, you don't see many black political leaders or community activists coming out condemning the protesters that turn violent, or indeed pleading for people to remain peaceful.

Among all the destruction of property etc, it reminds me of the Islam-related terrorist incidents of recent years, where there is very little condemnation of the actions voiced from the top.

And before a relatively privileged white man posting on his laptop/mobile device from the comfort of his home somewhere in Ireland accuses me of comparing members of the black community to terrorists, I'm not. I'm merely pointing out the fact that there seems to be a blind eye turned to a lot of the unnecessary "extras" associated with the BLM movement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Foxtrol wrote: »
    There is a fundamental difference between the actions of civilians and the actions of the state.

For example, the actions of the IRA didn't excuse the British Army actions on Bloody Sunday.

What you and others on this thread have been doing is akin to saying that if the catholic community in the north could just handle the IRA there wouldnt be any problems.

Good Lord above you are beyond misguided...

joe40 wrote: »
    There are biological differences between Men and women, there are no biological differences between black people and white people. So that analogy doesn't really fit.

What are the biological reasons we such a disparity in sentencing of the same crimes between men and women?

I disagree, I think they are cultural reasons. In times of communism when men and women do about equal tasks etc.. these disparities seem to dry up.

Clip I shared earlier of the police union where someone has added some statement context.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1270451011677798402?s=20

Plenty of black cops in NYPD, they're not in that union.

• Advertisement

2u2me wrote: »
    I believe in criminal reform. I believe once they serve their time we should give them a second chance. This means giving them the benefit of the doubt in future situations.

What if he had saved someone's life the day before, would this make you sad about him? Surely there's many things we don't know about his life.

Do ya ? What about pedo's should we put em running a crech when they are "reformed" because hey! Everybody deserves a second chance...

So much innocences bless.. ya mean well but really misguided in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Actually no, that debate is not happening. That person entirely and absolutely misunderstood the post they were replying too - so much so that I have to wonder if it was intentional.

So no. That is very actively not a discussion that is taking place. But you’ve been reading, so you know that too.

I didn't misunderstand anything. The poster, whether you like it or not, intentionally threw out the notion that perhaps he really wasn't a bad guy at all.
    Saying it irrelevant after the fact doesn't erase the comment.

What are the biological reasons we such a disparity in sentencing of the same crimes between men and women?

I disagree, I think they are cultural reasons. In times of communism when men and women do about equal tasks etc.. these disparities seem to dry up.

I was replying to the frequency of crime, not the sentencing.
    The poster was implying that since more men commit crime men must be more oppressed.

Maybe. But from what I do know about him, I'm not particularly sad that he is dead.

Do ya ? What about pedo's should we put em running a crech when they are "reformed" because hey! Everybody deserves a second chance...

So much innocences bless.. ya mean well but really misguided in reality.

Whend did Floyd become a pedo?

The scary thing is, you don't see many black political leaders or community activists coming out condemning the protesters that turn violent, or indeed pleading for people to remain peaceful.

Among all the destruction of property etc, it reminds me of the Islam-related terrorist incidents of recent years, where there is very little condemnation of the actions voiced from the top.

And before a relatively privileged white man posting on his laptop/mobile device from the comfort of his home somewhere in Ireland accuses me of comparing members of the black community to terrorists, I'm not. I'm merely pointing out the fact that there seems to be a blind eye turned to a lot of the unnecessary "extras" associated with the BLM movement.

If you are so scared about this you should really try to look for some evidence before posting nonsense.

Black leaders were doing that non-stop, if you bothered you could find dozens of videos of it, some went viral. I was at a protest at the weekend and they repeated it before and had stewards to deescalate anything during it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Maybe. But from what I do know about him, I'm not particularly sad that he is dead.

And Brianna Taylor, who saved lives for a living but suffered the same fate.

Are you sad about her death?

Whend did Floyd become a pedo?

When did I say he was ? When did criminal reform only apply to Floyd?

Most of your statement was about criminal reform yes?

What nonsense were you talking about white people then?

Sorry, i was told to shut up and listen. I thought it might be ok to ask a question. Sorry

*Takes a knee*

zpehtsfd wrote: »
    I didn't misunderstand anything. The poster, whether you like it or not, intentionally threw out the notion that perhaps he really wasn't a bad guy at all.
    Saying it irrelevant after the fact doesn't erase the comment.

No that didn't happen, you'll need to show me the post before I accept that.

• Advertisement

If you are so scared about this you should really try to look for some evidence before posting nonsense.

Black leaders were doing that non-stop, if you bothered you could find dozens of videos of it, some went viral. I was at a protest at the weekend and they repeated it before and had stewards to deescalate anything during it.

I love how anything negative about what the black community is doing no matter if it's true.. no matter how wrong is branded as nonsense and dismissed by you, you could atleast pretend to be unbiased , why am I not surprised you were out protesting..

When did I say he was ? When did criminal reform only apply to Floyd?

Most of your statement was about criminal reform yes?

In relation to Floyd. Aye.

KiKi III wrote: »

What about the black cop that killed the white woman?? Why don't u use that as an example of Police brutality why do you only use black victims?

Where's your outrage for that ?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/justthenews.com/government/courts-law/black-cop-white-victim-no-riots-2017-minneapolis-killing-foreshadowed-failed%3famp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

What about the black cop that killed the white woman?? Why don't u use that as an example of Police brutality why do you only use black victims?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/justthenews.com/government/courts-law/black-cop-white-victim-no-riots-2017-minneapolis-killing-foreshadowed-failed%3famp

I love it when you concede a point by deflecting instead of answering a simple question.

In relation to Floyd. Aye.

You believe in it when it suits your argument?

Not sure believing in criminal reform works that way but ok.

I love how anything negative about what the black community is doing no matter if it's true.. no matter how wrong is branded as nonsense and dismissed by you, you could atleast pretend to be unbiased , why am I not surprised you were out protesting..

Am I not supposed to call out either willful ignorance or flat out lies? The post I quoted had absolutely no truth to it.

As for issues within the black community, set up a thread and I'll post in it.

Again, what you're trying to do is akin to dismissing British government atrocities in the North by crying 'but the Catholics did bad things too...'.

joe40 wrote: »
    I was replying to the frequency of crime, not the sentencing.
    The poster was implying that since more men commit crime men must be more oppressed.

He wasn't making that argument. He's saying that men get sentenced for the same crimes at 6x the rate of women. I thought you said the reason was biological; but perhaps there is a mix up.

I love it when you concede a point by deflecting instead of answering a simple question.

Jesus most of the thread must be conceding to me so urself included.

So now that you saw a cop killing a black woman you're with us on police reform?

Not sure why you needed someone of a certain race to be hurt but glad to have you on board.

• Advertisement

It was an upsetting read. But sad maybe overstating my honest opinion about it. I managed to get on with my day.

How sad were you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement