Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Am I not supposed to call out either willful ignorance or flat out lies? The post I quoted had absolutely no truth to it.

As for issues within the black community, set up a thread and I'll post in it.

Again, what you're trying to do is akin to dismissing British government atrocities in the North by crying 'but the Catholics did bad things too...'.

You are but when you call everything willful ignorance and lies you risk looking a little biased or in ur case awful biased . It discredits any half decent points you make.

As for your comparisons to Catholics in the north... Your getting a little desperate now . A sure sign ur conceding points to me as one of your comrades pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

A good article about Floyd’s life, including his schooling, sports achievements, criminal record and attempt at redemption: https://www.nytimes.com/article/george-floyd-who-is.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

The attitude shown in this thread for me is part of the problem in the US. It's how the poilce deal with criminals.

Everyone with a past seems to be painted with the same brush, not allowing room for people to reform.
    It turns small petty criminals into hardened gang members.

David Simon argues some of the greatest people he ever met were reformed criminals, but how would you know that if you don't give them a chance?

During the war on drugs a massively disproportionate amount of black and latino men were imprisoned. This has led to generations of poor familiies in some of the places hardest hit by drugs.

So now that you saw a cop killing a black woman you're with us on police reform?

Not sure why you needed someone of a certain race to be hurt but glad to have you on board.

I was never against you on police reform, i was against the pity parade for the black community that was going on, and them being exonerated of all blame for any struggles they face day to day.

From the start of the thread I said it was nothing more than police brutality and that isn't isolated to just black people.. no matter how much the likes of urself try to twist it.

But do tell us again how the big bad white man and his system are keeping the poor Blackman down, and how they are "forced" into crime ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,323 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

If you are so scared about this you should really try to look for some evidence before posting nonsense.

Black leaders were doing that non-stop, if you bothered you could find dozens of videos of it, some went viral. I was at a protest at the weekend and they repeated it before and had stewards to deescalate anything during it.

Rest assured, as a white, Irish male living in Ireland, I am not scared about the systemic racism towards the black community in America.

Where's the global movement against China's shenanigans in Hong Kong? I suppose the moniker HKLM sounds more like a regional radio station though.

• Advertisement

2u2me wrote: »
    The attitude shown in this thread for me is part of the problem in the US. It's how the poilce deal with criminals.

Everyone with a past seems to be painted with the same brush, not allowing room for people to reform.
    It turns small petty criminals into hardened gang members.

David Simon argues some of the greatest people he ever met were reformed criminals, but how would you know that if you don't give them a chance?

During the war on drugs a massively disproportionate amount of black and latino men were imprisoned. This has led to generations of poor familiies in some of the places hardest hit by drugs.

The war on drugs targetted disproportionate amount of Latinos and blacks ? I cant for the life of me understand why that would be must be some sort of mistake...

I heard something crazy tho might just be a rumor about some latino cartels or something they def should have targetted white people first imo on the war on drugs

People that armed themselfs and premeditated to rob a pregnant woman by pointing a gun at her stomach... They had to carry a stigma around with em for the rest of there life ? What a cruel world!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Cupatae wrote: »
    You are but when you call everything willful ignorance and lies you risk looking a little biased or in ur case awful biased . It discredits any half decent points you make.

As for your comparisons to Catholics in the north... Your getting a little desperate now . A sure sign ur conceding points to me as one of your comrades pointed out.

:confused:

Either posters are supposed to call out lies and willful ignorance or they aren't.

I don't think you understand what bias means if you believe calling out all lies makes you 'awful biased'.

:confused:

Either posters are supposed to call out lies and willful ignorance or they aren't.

I don't think you understand what bias means if you believe calling out all lies makes you 'awful biased'.

I don't think you got the jist of my post, you think everything is lies.. (it's clearly not) thus you are biased , sorry I was giving you Abit of credit and assumed you would get what I was getting at I'll be more thorough in future with my comments.

Rest assured, as a white, Irish male living in Ireland, I am not scared about the systemic racism towards the black community in America.

If you're not scared then why did you start your last post with this?
    The scary thing is
    Where's the global movement against China's shenanigans in Hong Kong? I suppose the moniker HKLM sounds more like a regional radio station though.

That is a very good question for that thread. It is like going into a Rugby thread and complaining that there isn't enough talk about soccer.

I don't think you got the jist of my post, you think everything is lies.. (it's clearly not) thus you are biased , sorry I was giving you Abit of credit and assumed you would get what I was getting at I'll be more thorough in future with my comments.

I don't think everything is lies. I think lies are lies. Lies like what the poster put up about black leadership not calling out rioters and looters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

What about the black cop that killed the white woman?? Why don't u use that as an example of Police brutality why do you only use black victims?

Where's your outrage for that ?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/justthenews.com/government/courts-law/black-cop-white-victim-no-riots-2017-minneapolis-killing-foreshadowed-failed%3famp

Did you even read the article you posted? It does the opposite of support your argument. The police officer involved got done with murder charges for 12 years, there was a 20 million dollar lawsuit. She was Australian and there was evidently enough outrage for there to be consequence. A police chief lost her job. Compare that with the Brianna Taylor incident.

Did you even read the article you posted? It does the opposite of support your argument. The police officer involved got done with murder charges for 12 years, there was a 20 million dollar lawsuit. She was Australian and there was evidently enough outrage for there to be consequence. A police chief lost her job. Compare that with the Brianna Taylor incident.

No it didn't my argument was that the poster only posts black victims as an example I used this one as an example.. and asked where her outrage was for that one. In what way does that go against my argument?

The war on drugs targetted disproportionate amount of Latinos and blacks ? I cant for the life of me understand why that would be must be some sort of mistake...

I heard something crazy tho might just be a rumor about some latino cartels or something they def should have targetted white people first imo on the war on drugs

People that armed themselfs and premeditated to rob a pregnant woman by pointing a gun at her stomach... They had to carry a stigma around with em for the rest of there life ? What a cruel world!

Target was your word; not mine.

If it was only a stigma that they carried around I would have no problem, but is is naive to believe this stigma doesn't have other consequences. What reason has a criminal to reform if we don't give them a second chance?

"Well if you work really hard you can be a second class citizen"; that's why so many go back to crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,795 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Too many of ye to reply to but ive seen ye offer up page after page of excuses for the black community but never once have I seen ye mention anything negative or attach any sort of responsibility to the black community for there struggles , not once.. to say that some of ye are completely biased would be an absolute understatement

No race is that squeeky clean or that exempt of blame for there struggles... But reading the stuff being posted I'm surprised every man woman and child in the black community isn't sainted at this stage.

As I said before the current mantra is it's always someone else's fault everyone else's but our own!

There's no balance in this discussion what so ever it's all one way traffic vs the cops , the white man , the system ECT ECT

You complain about balance yet I thought that had to surely be the point of all your rants assigning blame to the victim and all this “did you know” etc on tangential stats about same-race homicides as if it deflects from police brutality cases.

There's actually a debate over whether he was bad or not.. that's where this thread is, some people are on the fence about someone who held a gun to a pregnant womans belly in order to rob her with 5 of his buddies is good or bad, some have even offered a defense that he didn't know he d a forged note.. away with the birds some people are, bless the innocences
    That’s where this thread is because you keep dragging it up?!

ricero wrote: »
    Saw that the tv show Little Britain has been pulled on netflix and bbc iplayer due to blackface scenes. The world is gone mad and is far too soft and serious. I can only imagine how bad things will be in 20 years from now.

I wonder if the same would be done for the film White Chicks.
    ... probably? Not seeing the bad here. Next you will complain Netflix wont stream Birth of a Nation..

Do ya ? What about pedo's should we put em running a crech when they are "reformed" because hey! Everybody deserves a second chance...

So much innocences bless.. ya mean well but really misguided in reality.
    Have a bit of cop on would you? Knowing full well that sex offenders are put on a registry and given often lifetime restrictions on exactly the type of activity you just described. Not really an appropriate red herring to toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Well done to factions in the US protests for guarenteeing Trumps reelection in November in the last day or 2.
    The calls for 'defunding' the police and disbanding individual forces/reducing police numbers and budgets will give him a rallying point, and get him over the line.

Soooo dumb!

Overheal wrote: »
    That’s where this thread is because you keep dragging it up?!

Don't reply to stuff out of context, I know ur being ridiculous at the best of times but do try to atleast keep an even keel.

The whole out of context thing gets boring after a while..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭A Consonant Please Carol

Cupatae wrote:
    Don't reply to stuff out of context, I know ur being ridiculous at the best of times but do try to atleast keep an even keel.

Pot/ kettle/ black/ spelling etc etc...

• Advertisement

Have a bit of cop on would you? Knowing full well that sex offenders are put on a registry and given often lifetime restrictions on e a rly the type of activity you just described. Not really an appropriate red herring to toss.

Would ya not heed your own advice and get Abit of cop on, I'd say there's few and far between the "reforming " criminals especially the ones that ya know premeditated with 5 of his buddies to rob a pregnant woman and hold a gun to her belly,

So ya no upstanding citizen such as that would ever dream of dealing in forged notes were giving him the benefit of the doubt..And should be let reform...bless.

Pot/ kettle/ black/ spelling etc etc...

Example yay /nah? Within context plz ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭A Consonant Please Carol

Cupatae wrote:
    Example yay /nah? Within context plz ta

Have a nice cupatae there luv...

Would ya not heed your own advice and get Abit of cop on, I'd say there's few and far between the "reforming " criminals especially the ones that ya know premeditated with 5 of his buddies to rob a pregnant woman and hold a gun to her belly,

So ya no upstanding citizen such as that would ever dream of dealing in forged notes were giving him the benefit of the doubt..And should be let reform...bless.

Beating that horse. Flogging it even. It’s already dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

KiKi III wrote: »

And since when is being choked to death in the street the appropriate response to someone who is not resisting arrest and is on suspicion of maybe passing $20.

So true! I'd have lost a couple of secondary school friends :)

Sounds like people in Minneapolis have a plan anyway around police reform. Maybe that will happen and address some of these issues.

By the sounds of it the armed police who don't seem to have much training in other areas compared to their gun training are just too involved in things that potentially they don't need to be.

The footage posted earlier of the guy who shot that guy in the corridor is just insane to watch.

Minneapolis mayor Jacob Frey "I do not support the total abolition of the police department" Heckled as a racist and told to go home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

2u2me wrote: »
    Minneapolis mayor Jacob Frey "I do not support the total abolition of the police department" Heckled as a racist and told to go home.

It's all stemming from the colleges and their victim/guilt courses, it's producing a fairly radical fringe in left wing politics, I don't even think it's a fringe thing at this point, bordering on mainstream. The courses won't get you a job but you'll be great at shouting hysterics in peoples faces, money well spent by mummy and daddums.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Good Lord above you are beyond misguided...

:D;)
    Jesus most of the thread must be conceding to me so urself included.

No one has conceded anything to you as far as I can see. Most of this thread has been people sharing stats and links to studies that make many, if not all of your points, moot. You and others are coming back with "oh all cops are bad, all blacks are victims". You refuse to have a debate. The replies have been deflections, distractions and stuff like this...
    Sorry, i was told to shut up and listen. I thought it might be ok to ask a question. Sorry

*Takes a knee*

What do you say at this point that hasn't been said already? I've seen a serious block in so many posters when it comes to answering questions asked of them. Why is that? The replies have been subpar and off point for the most part. If you're scared that black people in the US might actually start getting treated the same as white people, admit it. Have the nuts to say, you prefer it as is. It would be preferable to the deflection and nonsense.

As it is, thankfully, the US (excluding the POTUS) seem to be taking this seriously and police/institutional reform looks to be on the way. It might end in nothing but hopefully not. When even US congress and many police departments agree there is a problem, you might need to think about what your opinions actually say about you.

The navy will ban confederate imagery on its bases and ships. Provided Trump doesn’t interfere which his base may demand.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/navy-reportedly-planning-to-ban-all-confederate-symbols-from-installations-ships/

In West Virginia a Court has denied immunity for the 5 officers who murdered Wayne Jones in 2013. Officers unloaded 22 rounds into Jones, for failing to drop a knife, however Jones was evidently unconscious already and 5 trained cops couldn’t figure out how to disarm a conked out perp without a firing squad

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/court-issues-extraordinary-ruling-denying-immunity-to-w-va-cops-in-2013-shooting-of-wayne-jones-this-has-to-stop/

• Advertisement

Beating that horse. Flogging it even. It’s already dead.

I love it when you conced a point by deflecting ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement