Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Have a nice cupatae there luv...

Thanks hun xox

• Registered Users Posts: 82,795 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

peddlelies wrote: »
    It's all stemming from the colleges and their victim/guilt courses, it's producing a fairly radical fringe in left wing politics, I don't even think it's a fringe thing at this point, bordering on mainstream. The courses won't get you a job but you'll be great at shouting hysterics in peoples faces, money well spent by mummy and daddums.
    What are these victim/guilt courses? Do you have a catalog number? I’ve looked through Clemson’s course announcements for instance and I kid you not I just don’t see a course on white guilt being offered. Can you elucidate please?

Cupatae wrote: »
    I love it when you conced a point by deflecting ;)

Don’t know what you are talking about. I’ve already responded to Floyd’s criminal record in detail in previous posts, with you even.

You choosing to go back around to the beginning again to flog a dead horse and me not arsed to repeat myself isn’t a concession on any of your garbage. It’s calling you out for going back to flog the horse that we’ve already flogged at least twice now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

:D;)

No one has conceded anything to you as far as I can see. Most of this thread has been people sharing stats and links to studies that make many, if not all of your points, moot. You and others are coming back with "oh all cops are bad, all blacks are victims". You refuse to have a debate. The replies have been deflections, distractions and stuff like this...

What do you say at this point that hasn't been said already? I've seen a serious block in so many posters when it comes to answering questions asked of them. Why is that? The replies have been subpar and off point for the most part. If you're scared that black people in the US might actually start getting treated the same as white people, admit it. Have the nuts to say, you prefer it as is. It would be preferable to the deflection and nonsense.

As it is, thankfully, the US (excluding the POTUS) seem to be taking this seriously and police/institutional reform looks to be on the way. It might end in nothing but hopefully not. When even US congress and many police departments agree there is a problem, you might need to think about what your opinions actually say about you.

They haven't had much choice but to conced even when they ganged up in ironic mob mentality fashion they were swiftly dispatched with by facts and counter arguments and some of em just made look outright silly , not unlike what I've done to a few of your posts ;):D prob why you follow me around threads :D

You can try push your agenda all you like but the facts and balanced arguments such as my own and a few others will always shine thru

But I'm enjoying the discussion so carry on :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Cupatae - you are very clearly trolling

Do not post in this thread again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

They haven't had much choice but to conced even when they ganged up in ironic mob mentality fashion they were swiftly dispatched with by facts and counter arguments and some of em just made look outright silly , not unlike what I've done to a few of your posts ;):D prob why you follow me around threads :D

You can try push your agenda all you like but the facts and balanced arguments such as my own and a few others will always shine thru

But I'm enjoying the discussion so carry on :D

So you are trolling then?

Edit: Hadn't seen Beasty's post but thats pretty funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

No it didn't my argument was that the poster only posts black victims as an example I used this one as an example.. and asked where her outrage was for that one. In what way does that go against my argument?

It defeats your argument because the young woman got justice. Someone went to jail. Someone lost their job. The family got a $20m payout.

Did Tamir Rice’s family get that kind of justice? What about Michael Brown? Trayvon Martin?

That’s exactly the kind of accountability that BLM is looking for, and if it was more common for black victims these protests wouldn’t be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭wandererz

Here's John Oliver from 3 years ago on Police Accountability :

https://youtu.be/zaD84DTGULo

Netflix has some good documentaries on the LA riots FYI. Lots of primary source reporting and eyewitness accounts. The LAPD pushed the community to the breaking point - ripping up homes to ‘enforce search warrants’ but really just smashing an armored vehicle through people’s walls, smashing up their bathrooms etc. - and then the Rodney King foothill incident happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Overheal wrote: »
    What are these victim/guilt courses?

Peter Lindsay, Peter Bohossian and Helen Pluckrose have done a good job explaining this.

"Their stated mission has been to expose how easy it is to get “absurdities and morally fashionable political ideas published as legitimate academic research.”

What has been dubbed the 'grievance studies affair'.

• Advertisement

2u2me wrote: »
    Peter Lindsay, Peter Bohossian and Helen Pluckrose have done a good job explaining this.

"Their stated mission has been to expose how easy it is to get “absurdities and morally fashionable political ideas published as legitimate academic research.”

What has been dubbed the 'grievance studies affair'.

And this has very little to do with colleges and universities. This is to do with academic journals who were stung on their peer review. A problem that many journals still run into trouble with. Peer review issues of journals is a real problem but making this out to be a big leftist conspiracy is a real stretch. Replication of scientific experiments is equally a problem. Not a left wing conspiracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

And this has very little to do with colleges and universities. This is to do with academic journals who were stung on their peer review. A problem that many journals still run into trouble with. Peer review issues of journals is a real problem but making this out to be a big leftist conspiracy is a real stretch. Replication of scientific experiments is equally a problem. Not a left wing conspiracy.

Stahp.

Students at Yale bully sociology Professor Nicholas Christakis because his wife had the audacity to suggest, in an email, that students could, maybe, decide what Halloween costumes to wear by themselves.

And this has very little to do with colleges and universities.

This is Brett Weinstein at Evergreen College. He had to audacity to suggest that white people shouldn't be forced to stay at home.
    "Campus Argument Goes Viral As Evergreen State Is Caught In Racial Turmoil"

Stahp.

Students at Yale bully sociology Professor Nicholas Christakis because his wife had the audacity to suggest, in an email, that students could, maybe, decide what Halloween costumes to wear by themselves.

Still not seeing how this is a reflection on the curriculum.

You’d have to prove to me that these teens learned this behavior or were similarly brainwashed in the classroom, not online the same as everyone else. Or do you just assume nobody online is a SJW until they get the associates degree at third level?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Rest assured, as a white, Irish male living in Ireland, I am not scared about the systemic racism towards the black community in America.

Where's the global movement against China's shenanigans in Hong Kong? I suppose the moniker HKLM sounds more like a regional radio station though.
    Well, do you think that the HK protests were discredited by "violence" and vandalism on the part of HK protestors?

2u2me wrote: »
    This is Brett Weinstein at Evergreen College. He had to audacity to suggest that white people shouldn't be forced to stay at home.
    "Campus Argument Goes Viral As Evergreen State Is Caught In Racial Turmoil"

Do you have evidence that he taught his politics as part of his biology lectures? Did he give students extra credit for answering “black lives matter is the powerhouse of the cell?”

It’s the curriculum. If these lefty professors are brainwashing students with nonsense we’d have evidence of exams or homework or lecture material to that effect.

Don’t hear about any of this crap at my University and I’ve earned a bachelors and half a masters here all without a once being forced to minor in gender studies in order to be an engineer. Go figure.

Still not seeing how this is a reflection on the curriculum.

You’d have to prove to me that these teens learned this behavior or were similarly brainwashed in the classroom, not online the same as everyone else. Or do you just assume nobody online is a SJW until they get the associates degree at third level?

OK, I'll play along. Here's a selection of some of the wonderful courses available to you on American college campuses. For example...

* Pomona College
    GWS 142: Queering Childhood

* University of Illinois
    ENGL 277: Gender in Gaming

* Swarthmore College
    RELG 032: Queering God: Feminist and Queer Theology

* University of Minnesota
    CSCL 3405: Marx for Today

* University of Michigan
    WOMENSTD 434: Eco/Queer/Feminist Art Practices

https://thefederalist.com/2019/02/20/12-craziest-college-classes-america-subsidized-tax-dollars/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

OK, I'll play along. Here's a selection of some of the wonderful courses available to you on American college campuses. For example...

* Pomona College

* University of Illinois

* Swarthmore College

* University of Michigan

https://thefederalist.com/2019/02/20/12-craziest-college-classes-america-subsidized-tax-dollars/

Whats your point?

Do you have evidence that he taught his politics as part of his biology lectures? Did he give students extra credit for answering “black lives matter is the powerhouse of the cell?”

It’s the curriculum. If these lefty professors are brainwashing students with nonsense we’d have evidence of exams or homework or lecture material to that effect.

Don’t hear about any of this crap at my University and I’ve earned a bachelors and half a masters here all without a once being forced to minor in gender studies in order to be an engineer. Go figure.

I think you're misunderstanding, Weinstein was protested against because they called him racist. He was protested against by students that he didn't teach, ones that came from these courses:

Women's studies
    Gay studies
    Queer studies
    Black studies
    sociology

as outlined earlier in the grievance studies video.

In fact the ring-leaders of these witch-hunts were often the lecturers

Take a look how it went against Peter Boghossian:

Whats your point?

My point is obvious. He wanted evidence of wacko courses and I provided a list of them.

Safe spaces, micro aggression's and _ADULTS_ playing with play-doh to combat stress aren't made up smears to bash liberals with, they are the reality of what's happening on many campuses in the US.

• Advertisement

Stahp.

Utterly contemptible the attitudes of the students. I would never survive in such an environment.... although it's the professors fault in general for not standing up to it, and calling them on the sheer amount of double standards thrown around. Selfish prats (the students).

* Pomona College

* University of Illinois

* Swarthmore College

* University of Michigan

Yes thank you at least that’s something to gnash on. To me it looks like fringe cases, and I doubt a great many if any majors at all would be required to take any of those courses to progress. I think you’d find that far less than 1% of students ever cross paths with them.

My point is obvious. He wanted evidence of wacko courses and I provided a list of them.

Safe spaces, micro aggression's and _ADULTS_ playing with play-doh to combat stress aren't made up smears to bash liberals with, they are the reality of what's happening on many campuses in the US.

Academia is a curious thing. Yes, it's purpose to educate in order to prepare students for careers but also (originally even maybe) it was to push the boundaries of mankinds understanding of certain topics.

I wouldn't argue that any of the courses you listed are going to be viewed positively when applying for 99% of jobs that are out there, but, I can see how the topic might warrant being explored.

Gender in Gaming for example, gaming has exploded in the last ten years and much of what goes on within it is unregulated in terms of how people interact with each other. On Boards even we have moderators to try to ensure that discussions say somewhat civil but does that exist on gaming platforms? I have read of some experiences which female gamers have had while taking part in their hobby and what has been said to them would not be acceptable in virtually any real world face to face environment so should it be when online? And, why not try to understand this, explore it, research it via a university course.

We have seen the conversation around sexual identity also increase greatly in recent years. Many push back against this. In recent years will people who are resistant to that conversation be viewed as luddites similar to those who denounced homosexuality and suggested it was a fad 50 years ago? I don't know.

Marx wrote one of the worlds most influential political documents. Are his ideas not worth exploring, in a world in which capitalist ideals have ran rampant over the last number of years?

University students can, by their very nature, young, ambitious, not yet aware of the realities of how slow change can be, can be excessively brash and uber confident that the change which they believe in must come but the students of 2020 are probably no different than the ones of 2000, 1980, 1960 in that respect.

Finally, I presume you have 3rd level education yourself given most in Ireland do at this point, (absolutely no judgement or issue if you don't) but if you do, I think you will have experienced, as I did, that a lot of unversity is not about 2+2=4 topics, outside of undergrads in STEM maybe, but is about the exploration of a concept or idea.

If the people studying these courses are interested in the topic and have the money to invest in their education in this way, which would be better, that they can do so, or that the courses are shut down?

Finally, I presume you have 3rd level education yourself given most in Ireland do at this point, (absolutely no judgement or issue if you don't) but if you do, I think you will have experienced, as I did, that a lot of unversity is not about 2+2=4 topics, outside of undergrads in STEM maybe, but is about the exploration of a concept or idea.

Bit of a false equivalence.

There was some classes we had to do outside of all the technical stuff. One was public speaking where we would research a topic and talk about in front of fellow students, the other was to do with interpersonal skills, both of which are very useful in the real world, a far cry from the guilt pseudo science lectures being taught on certain US campuses. This was a decade or so ago so I doubt all that much has changed, as least where I attended college.

Honest question, do you think adults should play with play-doh in safe space rooms when they run into opinions they do not like? That is toddler behavior.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Like a number of posters here, the lack of self awareness from this police union guy is incredible.

Crying 'stop treating us like animals and thugs' despite the fact that is exactly what police forces have been doing to minority communities for decades and again to peaceful protesters over the last 2 weeks.

"Nobody talks about all the police officers that were killed in the US last week.
    We don't condone Minneapolis, we roundly reject it as disgusting; it's not what we do; our legislators abandoned us; the press is vilifying us; 375million interactions with the public ever year; overwhelmingly positive responses; but I read in the papers all week, in the black community mothers are worried about their children getting home from school without getting killed by a cop. What world are we living in? That doesn't happen. That just does not happen. Everybody's trying to shame us"

Emotional response from police union president.

Cuomo to sign bill already passed by the state legislature that will make police disciplinary records publicly accessible.

https://apnews.com/180a15ea069de36be58f9db6b97e1180

Gender in Gaming for example, gaming has exploded in the last ten years and much of what goes on within it is unregulated in terms of how people interact with each other. On Boards even we have moderators to try to ensure that discussions say somewhat civil but does that exist on gaming platforms? I have read of some experiences which female gamers have had while taking part in their hobby and what has been said to them would not be acceptable in virtually any real world face to face environment so should it be when online? And, why not try to understand this, explore it, research it via a university course.

On boards we have posters keeping the moderators civil in the gaming forum. This happens not just on boards but world wide I'm happy to provide examples. I was a gamer long before gamergate and gaming forums were a far better place before then.

What happened to gamers also happened over at the knitting forum; it wasn't toxic incel males there; so the theory disintegrates. The gamers were just the easiest ones to target first as soon as enough SJW's occupied the roles as game journalists, just like the forum mods of ravelry.

It happened again to the atheist community "New Atheism" which was a thriving community before the SJW's took over; rebranding it "Atheism+" Which became a shadow of it's former self.

That's what happened to the grievance courses long ago, they succumbed to social justice activisim. They are no longer a rigorous pursuit of truth but a blind indoctrination looking to force it's ideology on others. Equity. Equality of outcome. Chop the legs off of others to make everything more equal.

Bit of a false equivalence.

There was some classes we had to do outside of all the technical stuff. One was public speaking where we would research a topic and talk about in front of fellow students, the other was to do with interpersonal skills, both of which are very useful in the real world, a far cry from the guilt pseudo science lectures being taught on certain US campuses. This was a decade or so ago so I doubt all that much has changed, as least where I attended college.

Honest question, do you think adults should play with play-doh in safe space rooms when they run into opinions they do not like? That is toddler behavior.

I think you misunderstood the point you said was a false equivalence.

Where is play-doh in safe space being advocated as a widespread recommendation? Can you give me a link?

As for the guilt pseudo science lectures, how widespread is this? And in the lectures you are referring to, are they instructive (you must behave like this) or inquisitive, (should we behave like this?). There is a big difference between the two types and the latter feeds in to the point I was making about a lot of 3rd level education being about asking questions and exploring concepts.

Your aversion to these courses seems like as if I someone were to say that all retreat destinations in the US were trying to stop people being gay. Some exist, here's one. https://brothersroad.org/ but should I assume all of them have the same motivation? No, of course not.

Case study of a police department that was dismantled 7 years ago.

https://twitter.com/igorvolsky/status/1270116682044968961?s=21

• Advertisement

Where is play-doh in safe space being advocated as a widespread recommendation? Can you give me a link?

You can search examples if you wish, I can see what's going on for myself and the judgement that I've come to is that some colleges are pampering students like toddlers and certain courses are indoctrinating them. I don't know how widespread it is, what I do know is those who are subjected to it come out of college being pretty much worthless human beings.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2016/11/14/trump-liberal-college-campuses-michigan-yale-glenn-reynolds-column/93765568/

The University of Michigan Law School announced a ”post-election self-care” event with “food" and "play,” including “coloring sheets, play dough (sic), positive card-making, Legos and bubbles with your fellow law students.” (Embarrassed by the attention, UM Law scrubbed the announcement from its website, perhaps concerned that people would wonder whether its graduates would require Legos and bubbles in the event of stressful litigation.)

Stanford emailed its students and faculty that psychological counseling was available for those experiencing “uncertainty, anger, anxiety and/or fear” following the election. So did the University of Michigan’s Flint campus.

Meanwhile, even the Ivy League wasn’t immune, with the University of Pennsylvania (Trump’s alma mater) creating a post-election safe space with puppies and coloring books:

At Cornell, The Fix reported, students held a "cry in."

Yale had a ”group scream.”

At Tufts, the university offered arts and crafts, while the University of Kansas reminded students that there were plenty of “therapy dogs” available.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement