Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MFPM

degsie wrote: »
    You might have missed the bit where he went on to condemn rioting in that same speech. *fact check*

Not at all, the point is he sought to understand and explain the riots and not simply dismiss them, of course he bloody condemned them - he preached non violence FFS! :rolleyes:

KiKi III wrote: »
    The authorities could have regained the moral high ground because of the looting.

However, by directly threatening the looters with summary execution, in Trump’s “you start looting, we start shooting”, he has proven their point entirely.

That’s one hell of a republican re-election campaign slogan - I’m sure Trump is thrilled that he’s been given this “gift” to re-assert his John Waynesque gung-ho warrior cry that goes down so well with his Southern white voters - and of course, his appalling record of handling Covid19 just disappears

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Hahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha. No.

Edit to add - regardless of what people's opinions are about his playing and the reason he isn't getting a spot on the team (when he's better than others who got contracts) the POINT is that he took a knee out of peaceful protest against what is happening to black people in the US. Football aside, he was criticised and hated for it by many. It was and is a huge point of controversy. People said it was disrespectful to the US, to the US military, to veterans, to the flag, etc etc. But many others saw it differently, and many military persons and veterans spoke up and said they served for their right and freedom of expression. But ultimately, what has it changed? Nothing.
    Regardless of all that, he brings baggage now, whether you agree with him or not.
    And for a backup >30yo QB, it's not worth the hassle for any team to take a punt on him.

Look at others in the league who were dropped from starting jobs, now have to take $1m pa contracts (practically the vet min) and be a backup to prove themselves anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MFPM

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Yeah if I was black in Minneapolis right now I'd be saying the exact same thing as I as a white man actually would say to my kids in Ireland right now. Dont try and pass on counterfeit money ,and dont break the law if you can avoid it because the consequences cant be guaranteed.

One could read that as you justifying the actions of the Police Officer.

Secondly, you are ignoring the systemic racism at the heart of US law enforcement and lastly to compare being white in Ireland and dealing with law enforcement and being Black in many states in the US and dealing with law enforcement is simply absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

And why is it always wanting the full story of the person who was killed? To look for an excuse or justification. How about look into the full story of the grossly violent and overreach of the scumbag cop(s). When you dig there you will often see an ugly history of abuse and overreach. Not only should this cop/those cops be charged, but a full review and investigation of all their prior arrests and dealings should be looked at.

It appears the cops have previous.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/28/george-floyd-killing-officers-derek-chauvin-tou-thao-investigated

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

ELM327 wrote: »
    Regardless of all that, he brings baggage now, whether you agree with him or not.
    And for a backup >30yo QB, it's not worth the hassle for any team to take a punt on him.

Look at others in the league who were dropped from starting jobs, now have to take $1m pa contracts (practically the vet min) and be a backup to prove themselves anywhere.

What has "baggage" got to do with playing football. It was pointed out before, all over the media, that other players who were brought up on violent domestic assault charges, drugs, etc still got contracts. If you think "baggage" ultimately has anything at all to do with contracts then I've got some ocean front property to sell you in Co. Roscommon.

And please leave that contract stuff aside. It's a separate issue to the real point. That peaceful protest hasn't changed anything. See my previous post on all the protests and riots throughout US history that DID actually enact change.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

nullzero wrote: »
    Colin Kaepernick received huge support from his sponsor Nike.

His protests were a knowledge around the world to the point where everybody with an Internet connection or a television knows who he is.

That's hardly being ignored.

Ignored by the people who matter. The legislators and law makers of the united states. The president was quoted as saying he thinks colin maybe should't be in this country. That is what mattered and I believe why he protested.
    So yeah ignored by the people who could of changed things, but you know this right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Shocked to see the footage on the news of the riots. I'm afraid lack of leadership in the black communities undos any good work from peaceful protesting.

Its **** like this that plays into the racists hands and causes more blacks to die at the hands of dodgy racist policemen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

BASHIR wrote: »
    Ignored by the people who matter. The legislators and law makers of the united states. The president was quoted as saying he thinks colin maybe should't be in this country. That is what mattered and I believe why he protested.
    So yeah ignored by the people who could of changed things, but you know this right.

His stated goal has always been to bring the issues he wants discussed to light.

He has achieved that.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

What has "baggage" got to do with playing football. It was pointed out before, all over the media, that other players who were brought up on violent domestic assault charges, drugs, etc still got contracts. If you think "baggage" ultimately has anything at all to do with contracts then I've got some ocean front property to sell you in Co. Roscommon.

And please leave that contract stuff aside. It's a separate issue to the real point. That peaceful protest hasn't changed anything. See my previous post on all the protests and riots throughout US history that DID actually enact change.
    The baggage has to be outweighed by ability.
    It is not in kapernicks case.

• Advertisement

His stated goal has always been to bring the issues he wants discussed to light.

He has achieved that.

Yeah I know, and it's sad nothing has changed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He has achieved that.

His stated goal was for unarmed black people to stop being killed by police.

So not quite there yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I've missed a few pages between last night and today.

I saw the Minnesota prosecutor comments about the killing. If they somehow manage to not get charged for it, does that pave the way for some or all of the 4 to get their jobs back? That would cause uproar surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I'm struck by this bastard cop's name: Chauvin.
    Chauvinism is a form of extreme patriotism and nationalism and a belief in national superiority and glory. It can also be defined as "an irrational belief in the superiority or dominance of one's own group or people". Moreover, the chauvinist's own people are seen as unique and special while the rest of the people are considered weak or inferior.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chauvinism

Seems there are a lot of chauvinists in the US police, and throughout American society.

Unfortunately there appear to be a few here too - shame on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I've missed a few pages between last night and today.

I saw the Minnesota prosecutor comments about the killing. If they somehow manage to not get charged for it, does that pave the way for some or all of the 4 to get their jobs back? That would cause uproar surely.

It's a possibility but there is also a chance of another police department in another state reaching out and hiring them

It's quite something that we've had people turning themselves inside out and upside down in defence of the police yet they had no problem calling protesters 'thugs'.

°°°°°

It's quite something that we've had people turning themselves inside out and upside down in defence of the police yet they had no problem calling protesters 'thugs'.

Who has been defending the police officers who were involved in George Floyd's death?

Glazers Out!

I would of thought people from this country could see the oppression for what it is considering our history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Has anybody noticed that there are a fair few WHITES among the rioters/looters?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

People aren't even calling for Justice for George Floyd, they are calling for the police to be DISBANDED.
    They are a discredited force that has lost the consent of the people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Would it be correct to stop calling them police officers, (in the present tense) they been sacked. Suspected murderers? Or suspected criminals? Judging by the justice they deal out we can drop the suspected?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

CNN camera crew just got arrested live on TV by police. Insane scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Colin Kaepernick received huge support from his sponsor Nike.

His protests were a knowledge around the world to the point where everybody with an Internet connection or a television knows who he is.

That's hardly being ignored.

He lost his entire career.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

CNN camera crew just got arrested live on TV by police. Insane scenes.

The camera is still rolling in whatever car they put it in. CNN still have the feed running live. Its just a view of whatever its up against though

°°°°°

BluePlanet wrote: »
    People aren't even calling for Justice for George Floyd, they are calling for the police to be DISBANDED.
    They are a discredited force that has lost the consent of the people.

So disband the police and enforce martial law instead?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

°°°°°

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Has anybody noticed that there are a fair few WHITES among the rioters/looters?

Yes

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

If a member of my community was killed so brutally and brazenly, I would riot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement