Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

biko wrote: »
    The implementation of "Capital Hill Autonomous Zone" shows the many rioters aren't really about BLM, they're about a swing in power .

This is one of their "leaders"

image.png

That’s an 18yo with an “edgy” twitter bio...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The implementation of "Capital Hill Autonomous Zone" shows many rioters aren't really about BLM, they're about a swing in power .

This is one of their "leaders" as pointed out by someone on twitter and some cursory googling

image.png

Abolish capitalism, but here's my cashapp in case you want to send me money. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

KiKi III wrote: »
    That’s an 18yo with an “edgy” twitter bio...

grown men terrified of an 18 year old that is probably 100lb soaking wet. hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    Newton's Third Law.

I'm a centrist and can deal with a slight swing to the left or right. This massive social[media?]and political swing to the far left has gone too far and it will incur repercussions. It will only encourage right-wing loons to gather. And they are gathering.

We are in for a bumpy decade.

I would consider myself fairly centre maybe left of center but I don't share your pessimism.
    Common sense usually prevails.
    Take gay marriage for example if you had suggested such a thing in the 80s you would have been either laughed at or branded a danger to society. Now we have it society managing just find.
    Things change but generally for the better.

For all this talk of how bad things are now I would still prefer to rear my kids in this era than any previous one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

grown men terrified of an 18 year old that is probably 100lb soaking wet. hilarious.

I like the "Abolish whiteness" .... such racism .... from a ehh ... white person ???

:confused:

• Advertisement

So woke/anarchists once all the statues are down, Films (gone with the wind removed by HBO today) is it then the art and Books that must be burned ?? Lets all head back to the dark(probably racist to say dark) ages again. Intolerance appears to be coming from the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not sure what makes you think anyone is terrified.
    Also not sure why you use lbs on an Irish forum when everyone else use "stone" or "kg" for body-weight :P

Once the amenities are turned off they will all go home again to mammy's basement whence they came.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

So woke/anarchists once all the statues are down, Films (gone with the wind removed by HBO today) is it then the art and Books that must be burned ?? Lets all head back to the dark(probably racist to say dark) ages again.

It's all straight from the Khmer Rouge Year Zero playbook. And still there are those that can't see what is playing out.:confused:

Not sure what make you think anyone is terrified.

Also not sure why you use lbs on an Irish forum when everyone else use "stone" or "kg" for weight.

i used 100lbs because 100lb weakling is a well known phrase. 45kg doesnt have the same ring to it.

It's all straight from the Khmer Rouge Year Zero playbook. And still there are those that can't see what is playing out.:confused:

Looking like it, rolling in a bit of Spanish inquisition and Nazism(burning jewish buildings, removing jewish history, burning literature). Really disturbing what this movement/cult is turning into. Soon the average person will not have a voice in their own country.

• Advertisement

So woke/anarchists once all the statues are down, Films (gone with the wind removed by HBO today) is it then the art and Books that must be burned ?? Lets all head back to the dark(probably racist to say dark) ages again. Intolerance appears to be coming from the left.

The IRA blew up Nelson's column 50 years ago. Did that offend your sensibilities.

And "gone with the wind" has only been temporarily removed.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/entertainment-arts-52990714

Talk about hyperbole.

joe40 wrote: »
    The IRA blew up Nelson's column 50 years ago. Did that offend your sensibilities.

Oh its ok so, because someone did it in the past. The irony.

Oh its ok so, because someone did it in the past.

Yes, removing statues that are no longer relevant has always happened.
    The Americans pulled down Saddams statue, was that a problem for you as well.

Am waiting for Blazing Saddles to be considered racist. I said about 3 or 4 years ago that Bo Selecta would never be made nowadays and was laughed at by people. Now it's own creator has come out and apologised. He must be fearful and doing it out of self preservation. Nobody thought it was racist at the time. Ditto Blazing Saddles. But what is acceptable today might be taboo in 20 years.

Look forward to seeing Django Unchained being on the hit list in the not too distant future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Abolish whiteness? She looks white to me. Is she planning on killing herself or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

An educator hahahahahaha

Please don’t quit, you could be our Whoopi Goldberg in Sister Act, or our Michelle Pfeiffer in Dangerous Minds hahahahaha hahahahaha

Nah, W. You're not much for learning, we can all see that. Although yourself and the lads who thanked that pointless post have been put back in your box so many times, I don't know why you are still commenting. "hahahahaha" :rolleyes:

Yes, removing statues that are no longer relevant has always happened.
    The Americans pulled down Saddams statue, was that a problem for you as well.

Go to most eastern European cities and you will see statue parks where statues of those that oppressed the local populations were moved to. Should not be removed by mobs of fanatics.

If 100K Brits decided to move here tomorrow, then decided they were offended by the GPO that it may have started the breakup of the empire. DO you think it should be knocked to satisfy those offended ? Or should it be kept as part of the local populations history ?

If we remove everything that offends anyone, what will be left.

Go to most eastern European cities and you will see statue parks where statues of those that oppressed the local populations were moved to. Should not be removed by mobs of fanatics.

If 100K Brits decided to move here tomorrow, then decided they were offended by the GPO that it may have started the breakup of the empire. DO you think it should be knocked to satisfy those offended ? Or should it be kept as part of the local populations history ?

the statue should have been removed years ago. the locals wanted it gone. you seem more bothered by its removals than the locals.

the statue should have been removed years ago. the locals wanted it gone. you seem more bothered by its removals than the locals.

Could not care less about one individual statue. Where does it stop. I'm offended by the statue of Cromwell outside the parliament building in the UK. He committed genocide here,should it also be removed ? Or did he only murder white Irish people, so thats okay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭Christy42

People campaigned for the statue to go in a museum for years. It still can go as part of it.

The statue was not a part of history. Well not an important part at least. I guess it has been there a while but no more important than a bench that was in the park for a long time. The man himself is historically noteworthy which can and should be remembered in local museums. The statue was not historically significant (it may be now though).

• Advertisement

If we remove everything that offends anyone, what will be left.

You're just exaggerating to nonsense there.

Of course it should not be because some are offended. Nobody is suggesting that.

Christy42 wrote: »
    People campaigned for the statue to go in a museum for years. It still can go as part of it.

The statue was not a part of history. Well not an important part at least. I guess it has been there a while but no more important than a bench that was in the park for a long time. The man himself is historically noteworthy which can and should be remembered in local museums. The statue was not historically significant (it may be now though).

This all comes down to where the line is drawn. What's next? I've already seen the beginnings of campaigns online to change the names of Streets, towns, cities because of real or tenuous connections to past events or people that can be viewed as not conforming to current far-left beliefs. The statues issue is only the beginning.

Of course it should not be because some are offended. Nobody is suggesting that.

That's exactly what is been suggested and you are agreeing with. If Cromwell had committed his genocide in Nigeria instead of Ireland would you still be okay with his statue been where it is ? Would the mob already of pulled it down ?

History is been removed because a minority is been offended. Its not a majority that are determining what to destroy its a vocal mob.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

2u2me wrote: »
    On boards we have posters keeping the moderators civil in the gaming forum.

They aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This all comes down to where the line is drawn. What's next? I've already seen the beginnings of campaigns online to change the names of Streets, towns, cities because of real or tenuous connections to past events or people that can be viewed as not conforming to current far-left beliefs. The statues issue is only the beginning.
    The notion that the slave trade is reprehensible and that slave traders should not be accorded the trappings of honour is hardly a "far left belief". Plenty of street names in our own cities and towns have been changed over matters that have far less moral force than a repugnance for the slave trade, and plenty of statues and monuments have been removed. The sky didn't fall.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The notion that the slave trade is reprehensible and that slave traders should not be accorded the trappings of honour is hardly a "far left belief". Plenty of street names in our own cities and towns have been changed over matters that have far less moral force than a repugnance for the slave trade, and plenty of statues and monuments have been removed. The sky didn't fall.

Grand. Great that you approve. Austin, Texas? Nah, let's rename it Floydville. :rolleyes:

That's exactly what is been suggested and you are agreeing with. If Cromwell had committed his genocide in Nigeria instead of Ireland would you still be okay with his statue been where it is ? Would the mob already of pulled it down ?

History is been removed because a minority is been offended. Its not a majority that are determining what to destroy its a vocal mob.

i think you will find it is a majority that want statues of slavers removed.

Is it not time to pull the Pyramids down. These were temples to rulers that had millions of African and Jewish slaves ?

Colosseum surely has to come down as well ?

i think you will find it is a majority that want statues of slavers removed.

So slavers are to be pulled down ? but those that commit genocide are okay. How do these thoughtful people come up with that decision ?

Interested to know from you what criteria you use to decide what of a nations history should and shouldn't be destroyed by those currently offended?

I do agree with slavers been removed to somewhere else so that history can be learned. Or an additional plaque placed beside it to give both sides. What does smashing it do ?

• Advertisement

So slavers are to be pulled down ? but those that commit genocide are okay. How do these thoughtful people come up with that decision ?

Interested to know from you what criteria you use to decide what of a nations history should and shouldn't be destroyed by those currently offended?

plenty of history to be found in books. you dont need statues of genocidal maniacs to know they existed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement