Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So slavers are to be pulled down ? but those that commit genocide are okay. How do these thoughtful people come up with that decision ?

Interested to know from you what criteria you use to decide what of a nations history should and shouldn't be destroyed by those currently offended?

I do agree with slavers been removed to somewhere else so that history can be learned. Or an additional plaque placed beside it to give both sides. What does smashing it do ?

what exactly are the "both sides" of slavery?

plenty of history to be found in books. you dont need statues of genocidal maniacs to know they existed.

So are temples to genocidal maniacs okay and statues are to be destroyed. Is that your line ? Statues bad/temples good.

what exactly are the "both sides" of slavery?

Both sides of the person. currently most of those statues you are referring to dont even mention that they were slavers and instead only have what they built/create etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Both sides of the person. currently most of those statues you are referring to dont even mention that they were slavers and instead only have what they built/create etc.

Wait and see, in 20 years they'll be pulling down the statues of people who invested in oil companies because fossil fuels are bad for the environment.

So are temples to genocidal maniacs okay and statues are to be destroyed. Is that your line ? Statues bad/temples good.

temples of genocidal maniacs? i'm not really sure what you mean by that. i know the spanish have a massive controversy around the mausoleum for franco. it has turned into a shrine for the far right unsurprisingly.

• Advertisement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6Y3a4BV6E
    Only one place intolerance and racism is coming from.

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    Wait and see, in 20 years they'll be pulling down the statues of people who invested in oil companies because fossil fuels are bad for the environment.

are there statues to people who invested in oil companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

An educator hahahahahaha

Please don’t quit, you could be our Whoopi Goldberg in Sister Act, or our Michelle Pfeiffer in Dangerous Minds hahahahaha hahahahaha
    Nah, W. You're not much for learning, we can all see that. Although yourself and the lads who thanked that pointless post have been put back in your box so many times, I don't know why you are still commenting. "hahahahaha" :rolleyes:

Mod: Quit the sniping, both of you. Another backhanded comment like that, an'd I'll remove you from the thread.

are there statues to people who invested in oil companies?

Lol. There are plenty of statues around of people who, in one aspect of their lives, happened to maintain an investment portfolio in which oil industry shares are/were a portion.

* And no, find them yourself. It won't be difficult.

Lol. There are plenty of statues around of people who, in one aspect of their lives, happened to maintain an investment portfolio in which oil industry shares are/were a portion.

* And no, find them yourself. It won't be difficult.

an entirely predictable answer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Could not care less about one individual statue. Where does it stop. I'm offended by the statue of Cromwell outside the parliament building in the UK. He committed genocide here,should it also be removed ? Or did he only murder white Irish people, so thats okay ?

So if it was pulled down would you have a problem. I certainly wouldn't.
    The British have never really faced up to their atrocities that were committed in their colonial past, not just in Ireland but all around the world.

If this makes them look at some of their historical icons in a new light that has to be a good thing.

an entirely predictable answer

I knew that would be your "comeback". Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭Christy42

This all comes down to where the line is drawn. What's next? I've already seen the beginnings of campaigns online to change the names of Streets, towns, cities because of real or tenuous connections to past events or people that can be viewed as not conforming to current far-left beliefs. The statues issue is only the beginning.

Where did we stop before? As mentioned soviet statues have been moved before. Sadam's in Iraq etc. etc. I would presume many statues have been shifted or taken down in Ireland for a variety of reasons.

Also "not conforming to far left beliefs"???? Stop being ridiculous or hyperbolic. The statue was taken down because of his involvement in the slave trade. Being anti slavery is not unique to the far left.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Where did we stop before? As mentioned soviet statues have been moved before. Sadam's in Iraq etc. etc. I would presume many statues have been shifted or taken down in Ireland for a variety of reasons.

Also "not conforming to far left beliefs"???? Stop being ridiculous or hyperbolic. The statue was taken down because of his involvement in the slave trade. Being anti slavery is not unique to the far left.

we renamed a lot of streets after independence. according to some we shouldn't have done that.

Grand. Do you believe that once all the statues that are proving to be so vexatious to the far left have been removed they will be happy?

I don't. I believe that unless stopped, this will prove to be the thin edge of the wedge and the far left are only getting started on moulding history and the present to their satisfaction. And they will never be satisfied.

We can agree to disagree on where and what this is leading to, I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Grand. Do you believe that once all the statues that are proving to be so vexatious to the far left have been removed they will be happy?

I don't. I believe that unless stopped, this will prove to be the thin edge of the wedge and the far left are only getting started on moulding history and the present to their satisfaction. And they will never be satisfied.

Sounds like you’re pretty paranoid to be honest

KiKi III wrote: »

No, I'm just aware of human nature and the annoying tendency of history to repeat itself. I'm not a fan of the "It'll never happen here!" brigade. They are inevitably incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Rockbeast, if you live in Ireland you know from common knowledge and shared experience that what you are writing here is nonsense, and you know that we know it too. We have renamed lots of streets and removed lots of statues for ideological reasons, and it wasn't the thin end of the wedge. When we had dealt with that business, it was dealt with. Done. Finished.

Don't be such a drama queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The statue was taken down by a bunch of attention seeking, woke, virtue signalling thugs....

Educated and dignified people take down statues (deemed "offensive") with their class and manners and style and intellect and persuasion...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,017 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

KiKi III wrote: »

where do you draw the line and say enough is enough? once every statue of someone involved in slavery is removed? what about the leaders of the time that allowed it to happen? remove those as well?
    is it just statues? what about buildings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

No, I'm just aware of human nature and the annoying tendency of history to repeat itself. I'm not a fan of the "It'll never happen here!" brigade. They are inevitably incorrect.

In one post you say this will lead to history repeating itself, in another you say it’s remoulding history.

Which is it? History repeating itself or remoulded history repeating itself?

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Rockbeast, if you live in Ireland you know from common knowledge and shared experience that what you are writing here is nonsense, and you know that we know it too. We have renamed lots of streets and removed lots of statues for ideological reasons, and it wasn't the thin end of the wedge. When we had dealt with that business, it was dealt with. Done. Finished.

Don't be such a drama queen.

Aw, my apologies.:rolleyes:

Trust me, I am very well educated and very well travelled. I know what I am writing is nonsense? LOL I get paid extremely well to write. Try and belittle me if you want.

Past behaviours or past actions are no excuse for what is happening right now. This is close to anarchy and insurrection.

Have a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

where do you draw the line and say enough is enough? once every statue of someone involved in slavery is removed? what about the leaders of the time that allowed it to happen? remove those as well?
    is it just statues? what about buildings?

Your questions are framed in a vividly dramatic way that doesn’t fit with what’s happening.

In the heat of a once-in-a-lifetime protest a few over-zealous people tore down a handful of statues.

People are comparing this to the likes of ISIS deliberately bombing all historic and cultural symbols in Syria. It’s not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

walshb wrote: »
    The statue was taken down by a bunch of attention seeking, woke, virtue signalling thugs....

Educated and dignified people take down statues (deemed "offensive") with their class and manners and style and intellect and persuasion...

Is that you Donald?

How do you feel about the statues erected in your locality that glorify your ancestors oppressors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭randd1

walshb wrote: »

Or do what Bulgaria (I think it was them) did.

They put the statues of communist leaders and icons to a local vote. If the vote of locals wanted the statue to stay, it stayed. If they wanted it gone, they moved it to a historical statue museum, with a plaque attached telling where the statue was originally placed and why.

Most of them ended up in the museum. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Lads, perhaps we have veered away from the topic of this thread a bit. I do believe there is a statue thread elsewhere in the forum should you wish to continue this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

About that old guy who was pushed over during the protests...I don't keep up with Trump's tweets very much but this one is worth mentioning.

“Buffalo protester shoved by Police could be an ANTIFA provocateur. 75 year old Martin Gugino was pushed away after appearing to scan police communications in order to black out the equipment. @OANN I watched, he fell harder than was pushed. Was aiming scanner. Could be a set up?”

Is he ok like? Tweeting at a far-right news channel about baseless conspiracy theories. Cuomo has called him cruel and reckless for it.

About that old guy who was pushed over during the protests...I don't keep up with Trump's tweets very much but this one is worth mentioning.

“Buffalo protester shoved by Police could be an ANTIFA provocateur. 75 year old Martin Gugino was pushed away after appearing to scan police communications in order to black out the equipment. @OANN I watched, he fell harder than was pushed. Was aiming scanner. Could be a set up?”

Is he ok like? Tweeting at a far-right news channel about baseless conspiracy theories. Cuomo has called him cruel and reckless for it.

he is repeating a conspiracy theory invented by an ex-Sputnik journalist. that should not be a surprise to anybody

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

he is repeating a conspiracy theory invented by an ex-Sputnik journalist. that should not be a surprise to anybody

Ah, I assumed it was cooked up in-house. Awful way to behave in relation to an old man who is still recovering in hospital. Must have already trawled through all info he could find on the guy and was unable to find any dirt that's based in reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,792 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

John Allen Muhammed and Lee Boyd Malvo were arrested without a shot being fired after killing 17 and wounding 10. Whats your point??

That it should be the norm not the exception. Was that not clear?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement