Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

About that old guy who was pushed over during the protests...I don't keep up with Trump's tweets very much but this one is worth mentioning.

“Buffalo protester shoved by Police could be an ANTIFA provocateur. 75 year old Martin Gugino was pushed away after appearing to scan police communications in order to black out the equipment. @OANN I watched, he fell harder than was pushed. Was aiming scanner. Could be a set up?”

Is he ok like? Tweeting at a far-right news channel about baseless conspiracy theories. Cuomo has called him cruel and reckless for it.

Even for Trump that is a new low.

One positive I'm taking out of the last few days is the extent to which Trump has been sidelined in the current crisis.

I'm sure his base/loyal supporters won't be deterred, but it is surely obvious to any reasonable person regardless of your views on this that Trump is an incompetent leader.
    Apart from Tweets and rallies he has nothing to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,792 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

These 2 good ol boys have been identified and fired from their jobs. One of them is a corrections officer. But no the justice system doesn’t foster racism..

https://twitter.com/lexifagotti/status/1270112376298319875?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 36,050 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Remarkable how every issue in US becomes a Left or Right issue. How a murder became about political views is beyond me, you have President coming down hard on those who protest, and the democrats claiming them as their own.
    Result is every Republican is supporting the cops, and every Democrat is out on the streets. What a country.
    In every other country All Parties claim that what those cops did was murder, and can't be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Overheal wrote: »
    These 2 good ol boys have been identified and fired from their jobs. One of them is a corrections officer. But no the justice system doesn’t foster racism..

https://twitter.com/lexifagotti/status/1270112376298319875?s=21

Hilary wasnt wrong when she mentioned deplorables

Remarkable how every issue in US becomes a Left or Right issue. How a murder became about political views is beyond me, you have President coming down hard on those who protest, and the democrats claiming them as their own.
    Result is every Republican is supporting the cops, and every Democrat is out on the streets. What a country.
    In every other country All Parties claim that what those cops did was murder, and can't be tolerated.

Mitt Romney marched as well. Nobody ever called him a democrat or leftwing in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Colin Powell and a handful of other people who held powerful positions in the military or currently in government have condemned Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

joe40 wrote: »

One positive I'm taking out of the last few days is the extent to which Trump has been sidelined in the current crisis.

I'm sure his base/loyal supporters won't be deterred, but it is surely obvious to any reasonable person regardless of your views on this that Trump is an incompetent leader.

why? old dude been arrested many times previous.
    he has a history. he is no innocent

• Registered Users Posts: 55,608 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I despise Trump.

But watch the video..

There is something odd..and even if not, the man was barely touched...

I read that the officer(s) that pushed him were suspended, and because of this, dozens of their fellow officers stood down in protest at them being suspended..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

2u2me wrote: »
    "Nobody talks about all the police officers that were killed in the US last week.
    We don't condone Minneapolis, we roundly reject it as disgusting; it's not what we do; our legislators abandoned us; the press is vilifying us; 375million interactions with the public ever year; overwhelmingly positive responses; but I read in the papers all week, in the black community mothers are worried about their children getting home from school without getting killed by a cop. What world are we living in? That doesn't happen. That just does not happen. Everybody's trying to shame us"

Emotional response from police union president.

They turn into a basket case after 2 weeks of the treatment they been giving minorities for 400 years.

In the same speech he cries about police officer deaths when the facts are they do far far more killing.

https://twitter.com/Travon/status/1270455057532608512?s=20

paw patrol wrote: »
    why? old dude been arrested many times previous.
    he has a history. he is no innocent

The president of America tweeting hearsay about police scanners or some other nonsense. Zero evidence or proof given.

He is not some guy talking talking sh*te from a barstool (that's me when we get back to normal)

he is the president, his words should mean something. The office of president should hold a bit of dignity.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    I despise Trump.

But watch the video..

I read that the officer(s) that pushed him were suspended, and because of this, dozens of their fellow officers stood down in protest at them being suspended..

I have watched the video and he was definitely knocked over, he didn't need to be.
    The police should always aim to deescalate and use minimum force, that is simply good policing. Guards do it all the time. Go in heavy when needed but if softer approach works always take that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I would have thought it was fairly obvious already but I suppose we'll find out how much his behaviour during all this matters in November.

The president of America tweeting hearsay about police scanners or some other nonsense. Zero evidence or proof given.

He not some guy talking talking sh*te from a barstool (that's me when we get back to normal)

he is the president, his words should mean something. The office of president should hold a bit of dignity.

Agree.

He is abhorrent....has been from day 1..

I have watched the video and he was definitely knocked over, he didn't need to be.
    The police should always aim to deescalate and use minimum force, that is simply good policing. Guards do it all the time. Go in heavy when needed but if softer approach works always take that option.

Does anyone know what the man said to the officers? He definitely made contact with riot police. That is on him. 100 percent. You make unwanted contact with riot police, expect some reaction. He was casually and very innocuously pushed away.

His falling to the ground was unfortunate. He created the situation. The riot police pushed him away. No right or wrong there..

Is it getting now to the point where cops in riot gear during serious tensions can’t do anything that involves physical contact?

Anyway, it appeared to me like Trump described. Or at least similar. He set out to cause an issue..deliberately.

Does anyone know what the man said to the officers? He definitely made contact with riot police. That is on him. 100 percent. You make unwanted contact with riot police, expect some reaction. He was casually and very innocuously pushed away.

His falling up the ground was unfortunate. He created the situation. The riot police pushed him away. No right or wrong there..

Is it getting now to the point where cops in riot gear during serious tensions can’t do anything that involves physical contact?

Anyway, it appeared to me like Trump described. Or at least similar. He set out to cause an issue..deliberately.

What’s this fascination with defending the indefensible?

Agree.

He is abhorrent....has been from day 1..

and yet you support him. bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I love the sweeping generalisations being thrown around about cops in America.

Let's try it out

Lot of Irish priests abused kids = Irish = all Irish men are pedophiles...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I despise Trump.

But watch the video..

The dude was in a pool of blood but he shouldn't been any where near the police regardless of his age, colour, shoe size,
    Basically if he followed police instructions it wouldn't have happened its his own hard luck , ,

I think all parties agree on the murder being bad but one doesn't want to admit that it is part of a broader issue.

Polls are showing the party that is hiding is very much out of touch with voters, who are moving away from party lines.
    • Double the amount of people are concerned more about police actions than protests.
    • 76% feel racism is a big problem in America (a 26% increase since 2015).
    • 74% believe the murder of George Floyd shows a broader issue of police treatment of the black community.
    • 57% believe that police are more likely to use deadly force on a black person.

and yet you support him. bizarre

What?

I despise the man for what he espouses...Most!

Doesn’t mean EVERYTHING he says or espouses I disagree with..

Stop being so obtuse..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Were you ok with heavily conservative view points being posted in numerous outlets for years?.

This keeps happening continually to the most liberal institutions. That's why I'm annoyed because it's ruining the liberal institutions. The knitting forum, gaming comunities, atheist communities, The NYT, Washington Post are the most liberal places you can find. This doesn't happen to conservative outlets/groups. They don't let enough agitators pack the court.

2u2me wrote: »
    This keeps happening continually to the most liberal institutions. That's why I'm annoyed because it's ruining the liberal institutions. The knitting forum, gaming comunities, atheist communities, The NYT, Washington Post are the most liberal places you can find. This doesn't happen to conservative outlets/groups. They don't let enough agitators pack the court.

Did you say the " knitting forum'" is that a thing or am I missing something.

Overheal wrote: »
    What’s this fascination with defending the indefensible?

Seriously, you have around 1000 posts here, and practically all are anti law and order. You want cops to be like fooking teddy bears, and people to be able to do and please as they like. It comes across as nothing but anti society and anti people.

You are the most unbalanced poster on this thread. It’s your way or no way..

JJayoo wrote: »
    I love the sweeping generalisations being thrown around about cops in America.

Let's try it out

Lot of Irish priests abused kids = Irish = all Irish men are pedophiles...

I haven't seen anyone say all US cops are murderers if that's what you're getting at. Clearly some of them are though, which is a problem. Irish priests who abused kids have, for the most part, been relieved of their duties and charged as part of a reform. That's what the protestors are asking for.

His falling up the ground was unfortunate. He created the situation. The riot police pushed him away. No right or wrong there..

Saying serious tensions is utter rubbish.

Buffalo PD were doing their 'I want to be Rambo but was too scared to sign up' routine of completely escalating a pretty peaceful situation there. There were a handful of protesters that were not causing any 'serious tension'.

From your posts it is clear you're into the macho police actions but as you've said about protesters, these cops have put themselves in a situation where they are now reaping what they sowed with many fired or charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Alo the old mans hand reaches towards the police man gun , If you ask me he is very lucky he was not shot ,

Seriously, you have around 1000 posts here, and practically all are anti law and order. You want cops to be like fooking teddy bears, and people to be able to do and please as they like. It comes across as nothing but anti society and anti people.

You are the most unbalanced poster on this thread. It’s your way or no way..

None of my posts are anti law and order. They are anti racist, anti oppressive.

What balance do you want? “Yes crack open a few skulls to appease the base now and again?”

I haven't seen anyone say all US cops are murderers if that's what you're getting at. Clearly some of them are though, which is a problem. Irish priests who abused kids have, for the most part, been relieved of their duties and charged as part of a reform. That's what the protestors are asking for.

US Police and their Unions especially are actually acting very similar to the Catholic Church.

For decades they've been shielding 'bad apples' through cover-ups and many times allowing them to move from one force to another. They're now crying that the media is being unfair to them by reporting facts.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    US Police and their Unions especially are actually acting very similar to the Catholic Church.

For decades they've been shielding 'bad apples' through cover-ups and many times allowing them to move from one force to another. They're now crying that the media is being unfair to them by reporting facts.

I agree. There is a comparison in behaviour, like moving the "funny" priest a few towns away because that solves all problems.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement