Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,603 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Overheal wrote: »
    Despite many reports that he was just returning a helmet to them?

Yeah a real fire starter that one

Yeh, right.........

But couldn't have left it on the ground, maybe....

Like I said, your blinkered anti cops view here is what is seeing you constantly berate them

• Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Remarkable how much debate there still is over something which was so perfectly caught on camera, if it was a movie scene it would not have been shown better.

It really encapsulate the blind allegiance some have to their ideals.

Protests are wrong -> there is no such thing as excessive force -> cops don't have to answer to anything -> people have no reason to complain -> protests are wrong. Get it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,786 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

walshb wrote: »
    Yes, so the cop's half assed push was the way he went about wanting hurting him?

His baton, or gun not a better way to hurt him?

He chose a push, and minor push that most people would not fall over from. Cop pushed him, man lost balance....the cop in no way intended that the man fall and bang his head...

But you are so anti cops and so unbalanced, that if he had tickled him and blew him a kiss, and the man fell walking away, you'd be blaming the brutal cops.

You are twisting yourself into knots defending this shove. It’s quite entertaining.

As for being anti cop that’s nowhere close to the truth. I thoroughly appreciate some police forces who do things right. It was only a couple months ago I sat down with the chief of police in my area for a constructive talk on the state of armed security at our university. Very reasonable man. You are way off base.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

You can ham up something without wanting to kill yourself...

I shouldn't need to explain this.

And in hamming up something, you could kill yourself....or badly injure yourself

This man was up to no good. Deliberate and intentional up to no good

So, why would it be any surprise that he may try to make more of the push than was necessary?

I just re watched the clip really slowly. There is no way that man "Hammed up" his fall.
    The whole incident sums up the poor training of some US cops. (I won't say them all)

That incident was a total over use of force. He posed zero threat and could have been easily removed without force.

The police were not under attack at the time that is clear

That shove on an elderly man was simply a disgrace.

Remarkable how much debate there still is over something which was so perfectly caught on camera, if it was a movie scene it would not have been shown better.

Protests are wrong -> there is no such thing as excessive force -> cops don't have to answer to anything -> people have to reason to complain -> protests are wrong. Get it!!!

Yes. It was caught on camera....

And people have differing opinions on the cop that pushed the man.

It was nothing more than an unfortunate accident that the man created by getting involved with riot police....asked to move, refused, went to them, made actual bodily contact and was pushed away...#

The most ridiculous thing is anyone using the words excessive force here to describe what happened...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭Christy42

Yes, so the cop's half assed push was the way he went about wanting hurting him?

His baton, or gun not a better way to hurt him?

He chose a push, and minor push that most people would not fall over from. Cop pushed him, man lost balance....the cop in no way intended that the man fall and bang his head...

But you are so anti cops and so unbalanced, that if he had tickled him and blew him a kiss, and the man fell walking away, you'd be blaming the brutal cops.

I believe it's the he didn't hurt the man that the poster is calling delusional. I doubt the cop wanted to hurt him. However he escalated a situation that didn't need it and the man got hurt. He didn't mean put the man in hospital but if you are going to shove people around for the sake of it some people will get hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Despite many reports that he was just returning a helmet to them?

Yeah a real fire starter that one

Why would he be returning his own helmet? Here he is earlier in a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZLLPKxOHLI&feature=youtu.be

Yeh, right.........

But couldn't have left it on the ground, maybe....

Like I said, your blinkered anti cops view here is what is seeing you constantly berate them

Ah the shoulda woulda coulda now :rolleyes: they probably would have fired a teargas round in his face for ‘throwing a suspected IED at them’ if he had dropped the helmet on the ground.

It was nothing more than an unfortunate accident that the man created by getting involved with riot police....asked to move, refused, went to them, made actual bodily contact and was pushed away...#

The most ridiculous thing is anyone using the words excessive force here to describe what happened...

At this rate, in a couple of hours, you'll be saying that the cop didn't push him at all but that the man bounced off him after he launched himself at the cop in an attack.

How much time did police give him between an order to get back and being shoved?

• Advertisement

How much time did police give him between an order to get back and being shoved?

Who cares....he is lucky he even go that far with them....got to the point to where he could make actual contact...

Keep making excuses for people's own behaviors that sees them get in trouble

And keep up the nonsense that the cop used excessive force with his little half assed push on that man...

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Protests are wrong -> there is no such thing as excessive force -> cops don't have to answer to anything -> people have no reason to complain -> protests are wrong. Get it!!!

Yes it's amazing how people can comment on an incident when they don't even know most of the facts. Imagine saying that he was returning a helmet when it's his and this info is in the public domain.

Who cares....he is lucky he even go that far with them....got to the point to where he could make actual contact...

Keep making excuses for people's own behaviors that sees them get in trouble

And keep up the nonsense that the cop used excessive force with his little half assed push on that man...

Who cares? The public cares. The public that pays their salary and votes on their policies cares. But here you go, glibly dismissing the fact that the man was given no reasonable time to even hear, let alone process or react to a verbal police command, but this hasn’t stopped you for a number of posts now from filibustering the idea that he should have just listened to the cops, and since he didn’t they were fully justified to put him in hospital because it was so light and so gently and innocent

A poor attempt I hope eventually you start digging upward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

At this rate, in a couple of hours, you'll be saying that the cop didn't push him at all but that the man bounced off him after he launched himself at the cop in an attack.

I think you'll find he bounced off of the officer due to the strength of the waves being emitted from his communications scanning device. Pretty sure thats what happened to the guy with the cane too. Both probably Russian spies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

It's pretty telling, the ones that are in defence of these two cops pushing the man, are the same ones that have whinged and moaned about "not being allowed" to talk about George Floyd's past.
    They've given some mealy-mouthed words towards the cops who killed him yet the looters and rioters and protesters are the worst in the world "scum", "ferel" and advocated for the cops to start shooting to restore law and order.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,050 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

All those assaulted in these high profile incidents will at least now be millionaires going forward. It's what police departments do, pay compensation, Billions of it each year, taxpayers money, and the cops at fault get of scot free to do the same over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,112 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Just to point out, no cop bothered their bollix in trying to help him or even check on him, it was a national guard that helped him.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

joe40 wrote: »
    No one with a shred of human decency could support that policeman's action.

I'm actually surprised there are people here trying to do so.

The policeman was well within his right to push him back. They are riot police and they were clearing the area but yet he thinks it's okay to stand there and get in their face? I guess he thought white privilege is real :rolleyes:

The push from the police officer was not even a strong push, it was more of a freak accident that the man has such weak legs and fell over. I see guards here in Ireland giving drunk people stronger pushes every weekend.

It's pretty telling, the ones that are in defence of these two cops pushing the man, are the same ones that have whinged and moaned about "not being allowed" to talk about George Floyd's past.
    They've given some mealy-mouthed words towards the cops who killed him yet the looters and rioters and protesters are the worst in the world "scum", "ferel" and advocated for the cops to start shooting to restore law and order.

A venn diagram of posters on Boards who vehemently think the protesters are the antagonists, there is no institutional racism, Trump is actually a good President, Lockdown for Covid-19 was a bad idea, Brexit makes sense and Greta Thunberg is a petulant little attention seeker is pretty close to being overlapping circles at this point.

This shows that in some cases, there is literally no point in discussing things other than to prevent those posters having free reign to spout rhetoric and say that as no one is disagreeing with them, everyone must agree. That happened on the Peter Casey thread two years ago but thankfully wasn't reflected at the polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

Then move him elsewhere don’t crack his skull open. Police chose to escalate this situation. Police should never be the ones to escalate. Two lads could have picked him up and placed him on the steps to the side. Instead they shoved him straight to hospital.

Are you having a laugh? You obviously no nothing about riot control or policing.

Riot control police would never break formation and walk away from a line, it is just no safe for them.

It is riot policing 101 to push people back, they can't go and set everyone to the side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

No one has a problem with protests including the President, it's only when there is looting and rioting a problem then arises.

No one has a problem with protests including the President, it's only when there is looting and rioting a problem then arises.

Apart from Trump telling the NFL to fire those son's o' b*tches who protested peacefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

NotMOL wrote: »
    Are you having a laugh? You obviously no nothing about riot control or policing.

Riot control police would never break formation and walk away from a line, it is just no safe for them.

It is riot policing 101 to push people back, they can't go and set everyone to the side
    There wasn't a riot happening at the time. That is obvious.

Police have a duty of care in all circumstances. The must use proportional force. That is policing 101.

This was not a riot. A TV crew was calmly standing there

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Really?

So why did Trump have his stormtroopers use tear gas on peaceful protesters just so he could have a stupid photo op?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

there was no riot in progress when the incident occurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Governor Cuomo:
    "I think there was criminal liability from what I saw on the video, I think what the mayor did and the district attorney did was right, and I applaud them for acting as quickly as they did. What we saw was horrendous and disgusting, and I believe, illegal. You see that video and it disturbs your basic sense of decency and humanity."

"Why? Why? Why was that necessary? Where was the threat? It was an older gentleman. Where was the threat? And then you just walk by the person when you see blood coming from his head."

Mayor Byron Brown said in a statement that he and the city's police commissioner were "deeply disturbed by the video."

"After days of peaceful protests and several meetings between myself, police leadership and members of the community, tonight's event is disheartening," Brown said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

A venn diagram of posters on Boards who vehemently think the protesters are the antagonists, there is no institutional racism, Trump is actually a good President, Lockdown for Covid-19 was a bad idea, Brexit makes sense and Greta Thunberg is a petulant little attention seeker is pretty close to being overlapping circles at this point.

This shows that in some cases, there is literally no point in discussing things other than to prevent those posters having free reign to spout rhetoric and say that as no one is disagreeing with them, everyone must agree. That happened on the Peter Casey thread two years ago but thankfully wasn't reflected at the polls.

You see? Who is really creating the us vs them dialogue here? The intersectionalists.
    I see many posters with overlapping opinions here and there in this thread.

The narrative you are trying to create is the same one I've been complaing about over and over, call everyone a racist, sexist, Trump supporter who doesn't agree with your opinion about things. To hell with nuance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Give you a little picture of what was going on at the protest..

https://mobile.twitter.com/rgcooke/status/1268727664300285952/photo/1

5 arrests total, 4 for blocking the road.. 1 for fighting with another protester..

The intended consequence of pushing the man wasn't to crack open his skull, but it happened! The line that others are taking is that he was breaking laws (not listening to an order) I think should result in an arrest, if you think like others about law and order? Not a push then go on about your job of clearing the place.

• Advertisement

Former co-worker says Floyd and Chauvin ‘bumped heads’ at a nightclub

A former co-worker at a Minneapolis nightclub where George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked said the two men “bumped heads.”

Floyd died after now-fired police officer Chauvin knelt on his neck for nearly nine minutes during an arrest on May 25.

Speaking to CBS News, David Pinney alleged that Floyd and Chauvin were at odds over Chauvin’s treatment of customers and issues with pay.
    The manager of the nightclub would pass out paychecks to indoor security employees such as Floyd, who would then pay outside security staff such as Chauvin, Pinney and another former staff member told CBS News.

Chauvin was displeased one time with the amount he received and blamed Floyd, according to Pinney, who said Chauvin had also taken his annoyance out on Pinney.

“No doubt in my mind he knew who George was,” Pinney said of the fatal encounter between Floyd and Chauvin.

Maya Santamaria, owner of the now-destroyed club, told CBS News that she was unaware of any pay issues between the two but said that Chauvin seemed to behave differently toward black customers.

“I think he was afraid and intimidated" by black people, she told the outlet of the officer she considered to be one of the good officers on the force.”

By Lateshia Beachum, Washington Post

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement