Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Really?

So why did Trump have his stormtroopers use tear gas on peaceful protesters just so he could have a stupid photo op?

False news according to A.G. Barr. He says he ordered the extra perimeter, without knowledge that Trump was going to do with photo op. The secret service themselves requested the extra perimeter the day before. Have you got evidence to the contrary?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

NotMOL wrote: »
    The policeman was well within his right to push him back. They are riot police and they were clearing the area but yet he thinks it's okay to stand there and get in their face? I guess he thought white privilege is real :rolleyes:

The push from the police officer was not even a strong push, it was more of a freak accident that the man has such weak legs and fell over. I see guards here in Ireland giving drunk people stronger pushes every weekend.

He quite clearly wasn't within his rights when he was disciplined for his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

2u2me wrote: »
    You see? Who is really creating the us vs them dialogue here? The intersectionalists.
    I see many posters with overlapping opinions here and there in this thread.

The narrative you are trying to create is the same one I've been complaing about over and over, call everyone a racist, sexist, Trump supporter who doesn't agree with your opinion about things. To hell with nuance.

If you check my posts on Boards, you'll see I post quite frequently on Current Affairs/Political threads.

I see huge consistency amongst views expressed on the topics I mentioned (via posts and thanks applied) by a large number of posters.

You want me to ignore that perception in the interest of nuance? Is this more of the 'there are good people on both sides', If someone shows you who they are, believe them.

Do I think absolutely everyone falls in to this category? No, course not, but a large number of the same posters appear and contribute in a fairly consistent manner. And there are plenty who would no doubt say the same thing about me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Overheal wrote: »

There's your scapegoat.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

False news according to A.G. Barr. He says he ordered the extra perimeter, without knowledge that Trump was going to do with photo op. The secret service themselves requested the extra perimeter the day before. Have you got evidence to the contrary?

yeah but barr is a liar so why would you believe him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

No one has a problem with protests including the President, it's only when there is looting and rioting a problem then arises.

Bollocks. He's condemned peaceful protests throughout his presidency and even had some tear gassed for a photo op.

Maybe if the imbecile had listened to the earlier peaceful protests and took action things wouldn't be as bad as they are now.

I see huge consistency amongst views expressed on the topics I mentioned (via posts and thanks applied) by a large number of posters.

You want me to ignore that perception in the interest of nuance? Is this more of the 'there are good people on both sides', If someone shows you who they are, believe them.

What I want is people to stop using sweeping generalizations to shut down debate. "The police are brutal, white people are racist, trump supporters shouldn't be listened to etc..."
    Better if you quote what you are arguing against rather than just say 'It's out there; it exists; they're all the same' kind of blanket sweeping generalizations; give examples; quote news stories; support your narrative with facts and reason.
    These generalizations are dangerous I thought we learned that from civil rights acvtivists that came before us.

It creates an us vs them narrative that wipes out communities that were already working towards a better future for people.

yeah but barr is a liar so why would you believe him?

That poster made the claim that Trump cleared the rioters because he wanted a photo op.

A claim spouted by the media in the last week, over and over and over again.
    Yet it has no basis in reality.

It seems everyone knows something; but nobody knows why or how they know it.

That poster made the claim that Trump cleared the rioters because he wanted a photo op.

so it was a coincidence that they were cleared just before trump decided to take a walk to the church?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,786 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

“No basis in reality” my wet swampy hole

Real time analysis of the events as they unfolded: https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2020/06/08/timeline-trump-church-photo-op/

• Advertisement

“No basis in reality” my wet swampy hole

Real time analysis of the events as they unfolded: https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2020/06/08/timeline-trump-church-photo-op/

jeez, i'm just about to put on dinner. no need for that kind of imagery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

What I want is people to stop using sweeping generalizations to shut down debate. "The police are brutal, white people are racist, trump supporters shouldn't be listened to etc..."
    Better if you quote what you are arguing against rather than just say 'It's out there; it exists; they're all the same' kind of blanket sweeping generalizations; give examples; quote news stories; support your narrative with facts and reason.
    These generalizations are dangerous I thought we learned that from civil rights acvtivists that came before us.

It creates an us vs them narrative that wipes out communities that were already working towards a better future for people.

How hard is it to keep up the cognitive dissonance required to condemn sweeping generalisations while defending Trump, who is a master of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

NotMOL wrote: »
    The policeman was well within his right to push him back. They are riot police and they were clearing the area but yet he thinks it's okay to stand there and get in their face? I guess he thought white privilege is real :rolleyes:

The push from the police officer was not even a strong push, it was more of a freak accident that the man has such weak legs and fell over. I see guards here in Ireland giving drunk people stronger pushes every weekend.

Some would say drunk young people and peaceful septuagenarians should be treated differently by police.

It’s hardly shocking that even not particularly violent shove would be dangerous to someone of that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

zpehtsfd wrote: »
    Can i not be concerned for both you and the PO? I don't think i've ever condoned the PO behavior. Seriously did something happen to you to make you spew this vitriol?

Are you aware that we can see your posts? :confused:

You haven't shown any concern about the police, instead you've defended them, attacked the character of a murdered man, and whined about a 'diversity quota' in RTE.

walshb wrote: »
    I do....trouble.....

And he found it...

given you have psychic powers any chance of the weekend lotto numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Are you aware that we can see your posts? :confused:

You haven't shown any concern about the police, instead you've defended them, attacked the character of a murdered man, and whined about a 'diversity quota' in RTE.

What are you talking about? I commented on someone making sweeping generalizations about PO. Clearly i know there are bad apples else i wouldn't have said it. I questioned a poster about his remark that "perhaps he was a good guy". I reminded them that when he was arrested for allegedly stealing cigs he had one of most toxic drugs on the market in his system. And yes the RTE has been unwatchable for years and the diversity quota is a sham. I personally don't like media outlets shoving multiculturism down my throat. Nothing to be confused about really.

You know what does concern me? You know who.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭Odhinn

zpehtsfd wrote: »
    What are you talking about? I commented on someone making sweeping generalizations about PO. Clearly i know there are bad apples else i wouldn't have said it. I questioned a poster about his remark that "perhaps he was a good guy". I reminded them that when he was arrested for allegedly stealing cigs he had one of most toxic drugs on the market in his system. And yes the RTE has been unwatchable for years and the diversity quota is a sham. I personally don't like media outlets shoving multiculturism down my throat. Nothing to be confused about really.

You know what does concern me? You know who.

Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Ah right, it was just "coincidence " that Trump waddled out 5 minutes later;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Foxtrol wrote: »
    They turn into a basket case after 2 weeks of the treatment they been giving minorities for 400 years.

In the same speech he cries about police officer deaths when the facts are they do far far more killing.

Killing isn't illegal around these parts. Murder is.

I believe you'll find that the vast majority of police shootings are justified, and the vast minority of shootings of police are justified.

And whilst police do accept that there is an inherent risk in their job, as representatives of society, killing them is often considered a greater offense. By way of example, for about thirty years, about the only way of getting a death sentence in Ireland was for killing a Garda, the last such sentencing happening in the mid '80s for the killing of Sergeant Morrisey during a robbery.

What type of facts and reason is needed to convince this poster of the reality of what happened regarding Trump and the walk to the church last week?

Or how about the poster that can watch the video of the police forcibly pushing the man to the ground in Buffalo and can suggest that the man was acting theatrically?

• Advertisement

Joseph Bologna was identified as the officer who cracked open a students skull, resulting in 10 staples and stitches. He was suspended and faces assault charges. In response his police union is selling “bologna strong” t-shirts and many cheered on his “good work” as he turned himself in.

https://twitter.com/davidbegnaud/status/1269060528309243904?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

I'm disgusted at the hiding of George Floyds criminal record.

George Floyd was a huge 6' 4", and probably should've had two officers restraining him not one.
    Which would explain one smaller cop working harder to keep him down.

Search google for "george floyd criminal record" and do the research yourself.

So what facts are needed here to alert TuringBot47 to the reality of what happened. He suggests that we do some research ourselves but doesn't seem aware that there were 3 cops holding GF down.

George Floyd was a huge 6' 4", and probably should've had two officers restraining him not one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

If George Floyd was just another white trash no gooder would anyone really care.......(is it safe to use the term black trash?) just checking

It’s been mentioned ad nauseum in the thread actually. Doesn’t bear any justification on his murder however.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

sonofenoch wrote: »
    If George Floyd was just another white trash no gooder would anyone really care.......(is it safe to use the term black trash?) just checking

Fairly sure both terms are offensive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

If all you have to do is Google it, it's not exactly hidden...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Joseph Bologna was identified as the officer who cracked open a students skull, resulting in 10 staples and stitches. He was suspended and faces assault charges. In response his police union is selling “bologna strong” t-shirts and many cheered on his “good work” as he turned himself in.

https://twitter.com/davidbegnaud/status/1269060528309243904?s=21

Ironically named dude

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

biko wrote: »
    The implementation of "Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone" shows many rioters aren't really about BLM, they're about a swing in power .

This is one of their "leaders" as pointed out by someone on twitter and some cursory googling

image.png

Not going so good

https://twitter.com/BasedTradWeeb/status/1270762517321715714?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

Former co-worker says Floyd and Chauvin ‘bumped heads’ at a nightclub

A former co-worker at a Minneapolis nightclub where George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked said the two men “bumped heads.”

Floyd died after now-fired police officer Chauvin knelt on his neck for nearly nine minutes during an arrest on May 25.

Speaking to CBS News, David Pinney alleged that Floyd and Chauvin were at odds over Chauvin’s treatment of customers and issues with pay.
    The manager of the nightclub would pass out paychecks to indoor security employees such as Floyd, who would then pay outside security staff such as Chauvin, Pinney and another former staff member told CBS News.

Chauvin was displeased one time with the amount he received and blamed Floyd, according to Pinney, who said Chauvin had also taken his annoyance out on Pinney.

“No doubt in my mind he knew who George was,” Pinney said of the fatal encounter between Floyd and Chauvin.

Maya Santamaria, owner of the now-destroyed club, told CBS News that she was unaware of any pay issues between the two but said that Chauvin seemed to behave differently toward black customers.

“I think he was afraid and intimidated" by black people, she told the outlet of the officer she considered to be one of the good officers on the force.”

By Lateshia Beachum, Washington Post

And before they gave interviews to CBS, they went to the local police station and gave evidence / interviews to investigating officers , as they thought this information would be of use ?

They will also appear in the future court case , as witnesses for the prosecution ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement