Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Fairly sure both terms are offensive

fair enough, but 1 is used frequently in pop culture even mainstream ? asking for a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

I'm disgusted at the hiding of George Floyds criminal record.

George Floyd was a huge 6' 4", and probably should've had two officers restraining him not one.
    Which would explain one smaller cop working harder to keep him down.

Search google for "george floyd criminal record" and do the research yourself.

Fcuk me lol..

He was handcuffed, face down, had THREE officers on him, even when it was known there was no pulse, he was still being restraint..

Since when does a 6'4 man with a criminal history need restraining when he's dead?

You, everyone knows he has a criminal history because he was CAUGHT and PUNISHED for the crimes through the justice system.

Clearly can't make proper use of Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Can someone embed this.

I think a cool head and a more moderate approach/mindset is needed.

Titus o 'neil has had a rough life, his mother was raped by her mother's boyfriend at 11 so it wasn't a simple upbringing

https://youtu.be/RILRdOPH4S0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

JJayoo wrote: »
    Can someone embed this.

I think a cool head and a more moderate approach/mindset is needed.

Titus o 'neil has had a rough life, his mother was raped by her mother's boyfriend at 11 so it wasn't a simple upbringing

https://youtu.be/RILRdOPH4S0

Cool head and moderate approach, I can 100% agree with that. Unfortunately some of the police action is anything but.

In a riot situation where police are under attack I would give police a lot of leeway. That situation is dangerous and things can get out of hand.

But some of the things we have witnessed, eg two videos of old men been pushed to the ground with no rioting happening.

Good video by the way. He encouraged peaceful protestors to get out and protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Killing isn't illegal around these parts. Murder is.

I believe you'll find that the vast majority of police shootings are justified, and the vast minority of shootings of police are justified.

And whilst police do accept that there is an inherent risk in their job, as representatives of society, killing them is often considered a greater offense. By way of example, for about thirty years, about the only way of getting a death sentence in Ireland was for killing a Garda, the last such sentencing happening in the mid '80s for the killing of Sergeant Morrisey during a robbery.

And the union I referred to in that post will happily defend the unjustified shootings/assault/murder by police officers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,602 ✭✭✭✭walshb

there was no riot in progress when the incident occurred.

They are in riot police mode. There doesn’t need to be falling buildings and rocket launchers aimed at them...

Let’s put this nonsense to bed. The man acted the maggot, deliberately engaged and approached and made contact with riot police. They half assed pushed him away, he made a meal out of it and fell..

100 percent his fault...

Can count himself luck he wasn’t beaten with batons to get him away..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

walshb wrote: »
    They are in riot police mode. There doesn’t need to be falling buildings and rocket launchers aimed at them...

Let’s put this nonsense to bed. The man acted the maggot, deliberately engaged and approached and made contact with riot police. They had assed pushed him away, he made meal out of it and fell..

100 percent his fault...

so they were in no danger and assaulted a member of the public that was no threat to them.

so they were in no danger and assaulted a member of the public that was no threat to them.

Assaulted him my arse. He made first contact. They were dead right to get him away.

Assaulted him my arse. He made first contact. They were dead right to get him away.

he never touched them.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,773 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Let’s put this nonsense to bed. The man acted the maggot, deliberately engaged and approached and made contact with riot police. They half assed pushed him away, he made a meal out of it and fell..

100 percent his fault...

So you would cheer him getting beat up by batons?

• Advertisement

Don't forget, they arrested someone after pushing this man to the ground..
    They "couldnt" break their line when an old man was stood in front them, but they can break lines and arrest someone when there's an old man bleeding out of his head on the ground behind them.

100 percent his fault...

You're quite right, let's put this nonsense to bed:

There was no riot happening

The man posed no threat to the police

The police could have arrested him, riot police do that.

They could have used proportional force to remove him.

There was no need to give a violent shove to knock an elderly man off his feet.

You are really letting youself down defending this one. The police authorities have condemned it

joe40 wrote: »
    You're quite right, let's put this nonsense to bed:

There was no riot happening

The man posed no threat to the police

The police could have arrested him, riot police do that.

They could have used proportional force to remove him.

There was no need to give a violent shove to knock an elderly man off his feet.

You are really letting youself down defending this one. The police authorities have condemned it

Yeh, they chose not to arrest him. Their choice. Their right. Had they arrested him folks would be giving out about that.

Violent shove? This has to be a wind up..

FFS, barely made contact. He lost balance. His fault. Not theirs..

And everyone and their mother is on the police’s case. Scared ****less to come out and support or defend them here..

No wonder dozens cops stood down here. They were right to. Even their own department jumping on this OTT bandwagon of condemnation..

"He lost balance"....

What, like he tripped and fell all by himself?

Ridiculousness is getting ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,048 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Its funny that when asked Police Chiefs claim that the cops are not giving directions to assault people, that it's not what they were trained to do, and not what they are ordered to do.
    But isn't that openly admitting that they are out of control, and a law onto themselves, because they do assault people, and how can they claim the defence of '' one bad egg'' when one cop in a group of 200 assaults someone, and the other 199 cops in that group watch on and step over the person assaulted, leaves them for dead in the case of George, or seriously injured in the case of many many others.

"He lost balance"....

What, like he tripped and fell all by himself?

Ridiculousness is getting ridiculous.

He did. Lost his balance after the was pushed away...barely touched.

His fault...

Yeh, they chose not to arrest him. Their choice. Their right. Had they arrested him folks would be giving out about that.

And everyone and their mother is on the police’s case. Scared ****less to come out and support or defend them here..

No wonder dozens cops stood down here. They were right to. Even their own department jumping on this OTT bandwagon of condemnation..

It was a violent shove on an old man, otherwise he wouldn't have fallen over.

But as you say yourself he is lucky they didn't batter him with batons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    No idea who or what you are, so no intention to win you over. Glad you enjoyed the video though.

No, you misunderstand. I didn't presume you had previous knowledge of me. I identify as a redneck so the music drew me in but the trained fighters kicking lumps out of people as they lay on the ground made me stay. "Patriots" v "bitches" indeed.

Also, those aren't US army vets. Its a far-right group called Patriot Prayer and its a 2 year old video thats been posted by a rightwing nutjob (TooTallRN, serious headcase) and retweeted in order to stoke the fires and get some good old-fashioned violence going at the weekend. Cool.

He did. Lost his balance after the was pushed away...barely touched.

His fault...

Your posts on this are a bit mad tbf, someone who claims to be on the side of law and order, yet you're giving these two guys a get out of jail card with the excuse "it was their choice not to arrest him"..

They basically enforce what ever law when it suits them?

By not enforcing the law that you claimed he was breaking, lawful order to clear the area they've chosen to dish out their own punishment by pushing him, yes it wasn't this big strongman push that sends you across the street, it was a push no less that resulted in the man hitting his head off the ground resulting in a serious head injury.

But the cops never do anything really bad, they always have a good reason I think is your playbook.

I hope people realise that the clips you see being put online are filmed and uploaded by protesters and there are literally thousands of camera on the cops at all times what you are not seeing is the attacks on the cops. I am seeing mental sh1t that is being shared around on Snapchat, clips that you can watch once and dissappear and I have seen none of these on YouTube it really is shocking stuff, it's got to the stage where attacks on the cops are being done as dares almost like these stupid challanges that go viral.

A moderate voice for the protesters/rioters needs to emerge. Someone who can direct all the bullsh1t towards an end result that is actually feasible.

• Advertisement

I hope people realise that the clips you see being put online are filmed and uploaded by protesters and there are literally thousands of camera on the cops at all times what you are not seeing is the attacks on the cops. I am seeing mental sh1t that is being shared around on Snapchat, clips that you can watch once and dissappear and I have seen none of these on YouTube it really is shocking stuff, it's got to the stage where attacks on the cops are being done as dares almost like these stupid challanges that go viral.

A moderate voice for the protesters/rioters needs to emerge. Someone who can direct all the bullsh1t towards an end result that is actually feasible.

are the press hiding all their footage of police being assaulted?

are the press hiding all their footage of police being assaulted?

Type 'looting' into YouTube and put the Upload date to last week.

And tell me honestly if you have seen a single clip on the news.

Now the clips that I mention in initial post aren't on YouTube, they are being taken and shared around Snapchat which provides anonymity.

But seriously YouTube 'looting' and tell me how many of the clips you are seeing on the news

Type 'looting' into YouTube and put the Upload date to last week.

And tell me honestly if you have seen a single clip on the news.

Now the clips that I mention in initial post aren't on YouTube, they are being taken and shared around Snapchat which provides anonymity.

But seriously YouTube 'looting' and tell me how many of the clips you are seeing on the news

so you are claiming that the press are hiding their footage of police being assaulted?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

The thing with equality is it must apply to all.

What happened to Floyd was obviously wrong, and people are entitled to free speech, but sadly when you say things that do not fit in with the leftie brigade you are quickly shut down and the notion of free speech and equality for all goes out the window.

I understand the protest in the states, but where were the protests when middle eastern people are victimised and all treated like terrorists ?
    Where were the protests when hispanics were victimised, mothers separated from their kids and put in cages
    Where were the protest when the US cops shoot twice as many white people than black ?

But what irritates me more is the people in Ireland protesting about what happens in america,
    Why just america ?

Do they protest about injustices in Russia, china or even the UK,...course not
    Sadly a lot of people are jumping on the bandwagon solely because its the in thing, whipped up by the media to generate news stories.
    I have seen videos of black people claiming this BLM is mostly white people doing this of their own accord and they are not representing black people in the right way.

Merriam-Webster okay?

Definition of violent
    1a(1) : marked by the use of usually harmful or destructive physical force
    a violent attack
    violent crime
    The peaceful demonstration turned violent.
    (2) : showing or including violence
    violent movies
    b : extremely powerful or forceful and capable of causing damage
    violent storms
    violent coughing
    2 : caused by physical force or violence : not natural
    a violent death
    3a : emotionally agitated to the point of using harmful physical force
    became violent after an insult

b : prone to commit acts of violence
    violent prison inmates
    4a : notably forceful, furious, or vehement
    a violent argument
    a violent denunciation
    b : EXTREME, INTENSE
    violent pain
    violent colors

You’ve already agreed it’s a shove in numerous prior posts. Are you really now even trying to defend against that charge? If so, it’s incredibly disreputable of you.

Your posts on this are a bit mad tbf, someone who claims to be on the side of law and order, yet you're giving these two guys a get out of jail card with the excuse "it was their choice not to arrest him"..

Get out of jail?

They did nothing wrong, regardless of what the mob of righteousness says here...

Had they beaten him with batons I’d speak up and say that it was excessive..

They didn’t. They pushed him away, barely making contact, and we have people up in arms claiming brutality, and sack them an all this OTT nonsense..

May as well fooking scrap law and order of this type nonsense is happening. Cops can’t use any physical force whatsoever?

The man caused it. He started it. And they reacted. Barely...

Overheal wrote: »
    Merriam-Webster okay?

Definition of violent
    1a(1) : marked by the use of usually harmful or destructive physical force
    a violent attack
    violent crime
    The peaceful demonstration turned violent.
    (2) : showing or including violence
    violent movies
    b : extremely powerful or forceful and capable of causing damage
    violent storms
    violent coughing
    2 : caused by physical force or violence : not natural
    a violent death
    3a : emotionally agitated to the point of using harmful physical force
    became violent after an insult

b : prone to commit acts of violence
    violent prison inmates
    4a : notably forceful, furious, or vehement
    a violent argument
    a violent denunciation
    b : EXTREME, INTENSE
    violent pain
    violent colors

You’ve already agreed it’s a shove in numerous prior posts. Are you really now even trying to defend against that charge? If so, it’s incredibly disreputable of you.

This is pathetic nonsense...

Dictionaries out n all. Watch the bloody video. Like a comedy sketch. Barely touched the man for chrissake..

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beasty wrote: »
    Not only are you trying to divert the topic, but you are being uncivil in doing so

Do not post in this thread again
    Following assurances given by the user threadban lifted

Get out of jail?

They did nothing wrong, regardless of what the mob of righteousness says here...

Had they beaten him with batons I’d speak up and say that it was excessive..

They didn’t. They pushed him away, barely making contact, and we have people up in arms claiming brutality, and sack them an all this OTT nonsense..

May as well fooking scrap law and order of this type nonsense is happening. Cops can’t use any physical force whatsoever?

The man caused it. He started it. And they reacted. Barely...

The best course of action they should of taken in the moment, was to arrest him!!!

I've seen videos of people down on their knees being pulled from the crowd and arrested, they weren't acting the cnut.. you and others have argued that this man challenged the authority of the cops, he did and the correct course of action was to arrest him, they've chosen to dish out their own "justice" here by pushing the man to the point he goes off balance and hits his head.

You've said in a previous post not too far back, that the cops chose not to arrest him, that's you giving them a get out jail card, like they were doing the man a favour or something.

• Advertisement

The thing with equality is it must apply to all.

What happened to Floyd was obviously wrong, and people are entitled to free speech, but sadly when you say things that do not fit in with the leftie brigade you are quickly shut down and the notion of free speech and equality for all goes out the window.

Not everything going on isn’t bat**** crazy. There are of course extremist groups that yeah exhibit this problem. Eg. The weird situation with the “soy brigade” in Seattle, iirc.
    I understand the protest in the states, but where were the protests when middle eastern people are victimised and all treated like terrorists ?
    Where were the protests when hispanics were victimised, mothers separated from their kids and put in cages
    Where were the protest when the US cops shoot twice as many white people than black ?

These are whataboutisms. Many protests, political narratives and demonstrations over the past 20 years have confronted violence against Muslims, before and since 9/11. Guantanamo Bay. The “Ground Zero Mosque,” habeus corpus. Iraqi Army Interpreter Visas. There were riots in fact about the Elian Gonzalez affair. There were acts of riot at border detention facilities, people have protested them, people have tried to firebomb them. People have put huge pressure on the government to address these issues. It’s how the Democrats retook the House of Congress in 2018. And cops, if race wasn’t a factor, would ALWAYS kill more whites than blacks if whites are 16% of the population and non Hispanics whites are 60%. The reality is blacks are killed at 2.5x the rate as whites per capita.

https://www.statista.com/chart/21872/map-of-police-violence-against-black-americans/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement