Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I expect to see a lot more of this on Ireland in the next few years

.https://twitter.com/ShaunBaileyUK/status/1270830605031419905

The fat ****er starts shouting racist while recording as soon as police officer gets in control. When you see police forces to take the knee you know there ****ed. Get the armed guards an riot squad in. Take no mercy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

always black and white people it seems to be involved in all this rioting.

You dont see the hispanics, arabs, native americans and other people who suffer abuse involved for the most part

• Registered Users Posts: 82,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

US2 wrote: »
    The fat ****er starts shouting racist while recording as soon as police officer gets in control. When you see police forces to take the knee you know there ****ed. Get the armed guards an riot squad in. Take no mercy

No mercy? What are you implying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

You dont see the hispanics, arabs, native americans and other people who suffer abuse involved for the most part

Scumbags are of all colours

Mike3287 wrote: »
    Scumbags are of all colours

Absolutely, but my point is you never really see the arabd, hispanics, native americans and other oppressed groups in the same way, and they are as much victims of racism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Overheal wrote: »
    ..and Pelosi calls for confederate statues to be removed from the Capitol.

“ [T]he halls of Congress are the very heart of our democracy. The statues in the Capitol should embody our highest ideals as Americans, expressing who we are and who we aspire to be as a nation. Monuments to men who advocated cruelty and barbarism to achieve such a plainly racist end are a grotesque affront to these ideals. Their statues pay homage to hate, not heritage. They must be removed.”

Playing right into trumps hands. How can you aspire to be a better nation if you whitewash the past as ugly as it was ? It's clear to anyone who looks at the confederacy logically that it was an awful thing, but sanitising history removes the fact it was an ugly part of US history. How can know where you are going if you forget where you've come from ?

Haven’t looked?

https://twitter.com/amjoyshow/status/1270484870339399682?s=21

https://en.as.com/en/2020/06/07/other_sports/1591482804_436382.html
    https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2020/06/03/milwaukee-muslim-students-march-george-floyd-against-police-violence/3140082001/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

Absolutely, but my point is you never really see the arabd, hispanics, native americans and other oppressed groups in the same way, and they are as much victims of racism

Thats true

I don't really know enough on it to comment

?!

I assume you’re Irish. Nevermind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Well the city of Minneapolis is going to have to defund a lot more than the police I think.

$55 million worth of Property Damage
    220 Building damaged or destroyed that is homes and businesses.
    No estimate for the properties looted likely to be in the millions also.

Thousands of jobs lost a result, that is thousands of families who were already struggling are looking at very serious personal financial situations including evictions, repossessions, bankruptcy.

That is just one city.

I have to say, those celebrities who paid money into bailing rioters and looters out of jail have blood on their hands, their vapid narcissism has probably cost people their livelihoods, their health and damaged families who were already in crisis...Nobody cares about their lives!!

I still can't believe they haven't been shamed though I shouldn't be surprised....These people whose lives will never be the same again are innocent hard working law abiding people that celebrities saw fit to throw under a bus to appease their own narcissism....it really is a twisted time we live in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Good interview with the Minnesota AG

https://youtu.be/yOO10cShVw8

Link won't embed for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Playing right into trumps hands. How can you aspire to be a better nation if you whitewash the past as ugly as it was ? It's clear to anyone who looks at the confederacy logically that it was an awful thing, but sanitising history removes the fact it was an ugly part of US history. How can know where you are going if you forget where you've come from ?

Removing statues is not sanitising history it's not glorifying part of it.
    The Germans don't have any statues of Hitler but he hasn't been erased at all.

Well the city of Minneapolis is going to have to defund a lot more than the police I think.

Thousands of jobs lost a result, that is thousands of families who were already struggling are looking at very serious personal financial situations including evictions, repossessions, bankruptcy.

That is just one city.

I have to say, those celebrities who paid money into bailing rioters and looters out of jail have blood on their hands, their vapid narcissism has probably cost people their livelihoods, their health and damaged families who were already in crisis...Nobody cares about their lives!!

I still can't believe they haven't been shamed though I shouldn't be surprised....These people whose lives will never be the same again are innocent hard working law abiding people that celebrities saw fit to throw under a bus to appease their own narcissism....it really is a twisted time we live in.

The LA Riots caused over $1Bn in property damage, adjusted for 2020 that’s $1.83 Bn, and 1,000+ properties damaged or destroyed. Sounds like the hype was overblown and the riots in Minneapolis are much less apocalyptic than previously spun. I assume most of that figure is the loss of the 3rd precinct building.

I have no problem with people protesting, that is their right.

I am speaking about violent protests that break the law.

There is a huge significant difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

JJayoo wrote: »
    That female cop is one brave woman, hopefully this didn't end badly

Ye fair play to her . That BLM crap that's being going on about cops being racist etc all its done has created a toxic environment for any police officer , it's given thugs an excuse to play the victim and all the cops are bad guys. It's got to the stage were football hooligans have gone out to protect monuments in London to stop them been vandalised. Multiculturalism and diversity seems to only work one way from I've seen. Maybe the cops should refuse to police minority areas and see how the communities get on

That is just one city.

In a country that has thrown trillions at the big corps to survive covid, maybe trump can help them out?

I have no problem with people protesting, that is their right.

I am speaking about violent protests that break the law.

There is a huge significant difference

Have you seen the footage from Bloody Sunday?

I don’t think he’s unaware of the fire behind him?

As I said given the scope and size he’s probably right to say what he did. He has the benefit of being there.

Have you seen the footage from Bloody Sunday?

What has that got to do with my point of hispanics and arabs etc not rioting.

my god you are just moaning at everything to just moan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Good interview with the Minnesota AG

Fixed the embed.

"It's not true this is only an african-american problem, or a people of colour problem; it's a problem of anybody who is on the bottom end of the power equation"

There's many things I'll disagree with Ellison about but he seems bang on the money here.

Doesn't it make these two idiots look all the more stupid now with their race-baiting antics.

What has that got to do with my point of hispanics and arabs etc not rioting.

my god you are just moaning at everything to just moan.

Your whataboutism about Hispanics and Arabs even though they are protesting in solidarity as well?

Just admit you don’t want to engage in the difficult truth about the history of peaceful protest in the United States.

2u2me wrote: »
    Fixed the embed.

"It's not true this is only an african-american problem, or a people of colour problem; it's a problem of anybody who is on the bottom end of the power equation"

There's many things I'll disagree with Ellison about but he seems bang on the money here.

Doesn't it make these two idiots look all the more stupid now with their race-baiting antics.

You fixed my link, with your own link? Lol

Edit, now it's fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

joe40 wrote: »

I've read up a good bit about Churchill and he'd no love for Irish people , told Collins hed reinvade if he didn't sort out the anti treaty IRA. But if I went to England I wouldn't go demanding his statue or cromwells statue to be taken down. You're in their country, if you don't like it tough sh*t. None of the blacks in England are descended from slaves , their parents or grandparents werent forced to go there. So what are they pulling down statues for . If they're that against the slave trade , why don't they go to Africa now where's there's millions of slaves in this day and age

https://qz.com/africa/1333946/global-slavery-index-africa-has-the-highest-rate-of-modern-day-slavery-in-the-world/

Your whataboutism about Hispanics and Arabs even though they are protesting in solidarity as well?

Just admit you don’t want to engage in the difficult truth about the history of peaceful protest in the United States.

looks like I am going to have to make it so simple even you might grasp it.

I have no problems with protests, its people's right.
    I have an issue with violent protests that break the law.

you comparing a violent protest in the USA today, to a peaceful protest in a different country in a different era that was a peaceful protest. It is a complete different thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I don’t think he’s unaware of the fire behind him?

As I said given the scope and size he’s probably right to say what he did. He has the benefit of being there.

Unaware of the enormous fire behind him....really.... so you honestly think he has been walking backward and didn't see the massive fire behind him.

Really? The enormous fire, right behind him, that is lighting up the entire area....

The huge fire that everyone is looking at and the camera is pointing directly at.

You really think he hasn't seen this huge fire?

Really

JJayoo wrote: »
    Unaware of the enormous fire behind him....really.... so you honestly think he has been walking backward and didn't see the massive fire behind him.

Really? The enormous fire, right behind him, that is lighting up the entire area....

The huge fire that everyone is looking at and the camera is pointing directly at.

You really think he hasn't seen this huge fire?

Really

you are wasting your time.

He just wants to moan at anyone that dares to have an opinion that differs from his.
    He thinks he is an authority on everything

• Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

joe40 wrote: »

I agree the **** that happened shouldn't be glorified at all. It was literally build on racism and a belief that black people with inferior. That to me is wrong on any level you choose to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

I've read up a good bit about Churchill and he'd no love for Irish people , told Collins hed reinvade if he didn't sort out the anti treaty IRA. But if I went to England I wouldn't go demanding his statue or cromwells statue to be taken down. You're in their country, if you don't like it tough sh*t. None of the blacks in England are descended from slaves , their parents or grandparents werent forced to go there. So what are they pulling down statues for . If they're that against the slave trade , why don't they go to Africa now where's there's millions of slaves in this day and age

https://qz.com/africa/1333946/global-slavery-index-africa-has-the-highest-rate-of-modern-day-slavery-in-the-world/
    Just on this......a significant number of Black people in the UK settled there after arriving from the Caribbean. How do you think their ancestors got to the Caribbean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Jeff2 wrote: »
    I was watching the Irish news that is in irish as gaeilge and loads of people out for BLM.

All white bar one I seen.

Strange.

Whats strange about white people being against racism?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement