Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Didn't see the GIANT FIRE.

So he was led blindfolded to that spot by the cameraman?

Or else he has a medical condition in which he can only walk backwards and he didn't see the massive fire?

Didn't see the fire

I really want to hear how you came to this conclusion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

No lives matter blacks, foetus's whites animals the world is truly ****ed ! let me out please !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

looks like I am going to have to make it so simple even you might grasp it.

I have no problems with protests, its people's right.
    I have an issue with violent protests that break the law.

you comparing a violent protest in the USA today, to a peaceful protest in a different country in a different era that was a peaceful protest. It is a complete different thing.

What are you talking about?

Bloody Sunday was in Selma, Alabama, on March 7, 1965. Peaceful protesters with no weapons of any kind were teargassed and billy clubbed half by state troopers. They were protesting their right to register to vote, having already been given the right to vote.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Unaware of the enormous fire behind him....really.... so you honestly think he has been walking backward and didn't see the massive fire behind him.

Really? The enormous fire, right behind him, that is lighting up the entire area....

The huge fire that everyone is looking at and the camera is pointing directly at.

You really think he hasn't seen this huge fire?

Really

Did you read my post ass backwards or something?

Didn't see the fire....

I misread, I am a donkey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

I have to say, those celebrities who paid money into bailing rioters and looters out of jail have blood on their hands, their vapid narcissism has probably cost people their livelihoods, their health and damaged families who were already in crisis...Nobody cares about their lives!!

I still can't believe they haven't been shamed though I shouldn't be surprised....These people whose lives will never be the same again are innocent hard working law abiding people that celebrities saw fit to throw under a bus to appease their own narcissism....it really is a twisted time we live in.

Page 58/94 Yahoo yougov poll results "News race and justice" May 31 2020
    • More people in the earnings bracket $100,000+ are most in favour of defunding the police 25% (Perhaps because they can afford their own security).
    • Those earning 50k-100k only 11% supported defunding the police.
    • Those earning under 50k 18% supported defunding the police.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Didn't see the GIANT FIRE.

So he was led blindfolded to that spot by the cameraman?

Or else he has a medical condition in which he can only walk backwards and he didn't see the massive fire?

Didn't see the fire

I really want to hear how you came to this conclusion

I would like to know how bloody sunday where peaceful protesters were shot is comparable to violent riots in the usa today where no one is shot.

guess we wont get an answer from him

Oh God damn it I did read your post wrong Overhead

I'm sorry I genuinely did think you said he was unaware and I couldn't believe you are saying it lol

God I am a donkey

I would like to know how bloody sunday where peaceful protesters were shot is comparable to violent riots in the usa today where no one is shot.

guess we wont get an answer from him

What are you even talking about? Rioters have very decidedly been shot at, teargassed, and arrested, etc. in the george Floyd protests. Useless strawman. Did you just forget David McAtee? Or any of these reports of people being blasted in the face with teargas canisters? What planet are you from

Didn't see the fire....

I misread, I am a donkey

Cheers it happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Just on this......a significant number of Black people in the UK settled there after arriving from the Caribbean. How do you think their ancestors got to the Caribbean?

How far back do you want to go , a few hundred years??! No one forced them to go to England in the in the 50s . Most of our ancestors werent much above slaves either , do you hold that against their government ?

Overheal wrote: »
    What are you talking about?

Bloody Sunday was in Selma, Alabama, on March 7, 1965. Peaceful protesters with no weapons of any kind were teargassed and billy clubbed half by state troopers. They were protesting their right to register to vote, having already been given the right to vote.

well done.

you just proved my point.

I stated TWICE, and each time you seem to ignore it, that my issue is with violent protests that break the law.

Bloody sunday was not a violent protest.

Are you grasping it yet ?

How far back do you want to go , a few hundred years??! No one forced them to go to England in the in the 50s . Most of our ancestors werent much above slaves either , do you hold that against their government ?

Is this a bad time to mention every western nations complicity in the triangle trade?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Absolutely, but my point is you never really see the arabd, hispanics, native americans and other oppressed groups in the same way, and they are as much victims of racism

Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

This what someone who has studies Latino history has to say. He also created a map (it's in the link) showing sites etc of 'Latino' riots.
    “There’s a perception that Latino rioting is unusual or isolated, whereas black rioting is typical,” says Aaron Fountain, Jr., a Ph.D. student in history at Indiana University. “People don’t know much about Latino history, so they don’t put [these events] in a social context. This creates this perception that Latinos are passive, or that they only riot when conditions are really extreme.”
    https://www.citylab.com/equity/2017/04/the-forgotten-history-of-latino-riots/522570/

It is widely believed that one of the reasons behind the African American vs Korean American violence during the 'Rodney King' riots of 1992 was the Korean American murderer of a 15 year old black girl being put on probation.
    Racial tensions between the two were already bad.
    https://www.dartmouth.edu/~hist32/History/S21%20-%20Media%20Misrepresentations%20of%20the%20LA%20Riot.htm

'Asian' is also a very very broad term - Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Japanese, Filipinos etc - and some even consider Indians (from India) as 'South Asians', plus some Asians in the US are newly arrived immigrants while other are descended from people who arrived centuries ago. They are not a homogenous group as African Americans who would be descended from slaves imported prior to 1808. Asian immigrants mainly arrived in the US voluntarily.

In 1867 Chinese railway workers 'rioted' (or at least the authorities claimed they did).

Although the Chinese were treated appallingly they, or any other Asians, were never slaves. They were never considered livestock. They did not have laws enacted just to keep them segregated from white Americans. Laws that were only overturned 55 years ago.

So it's not a fair comparison.

I would suggest that the 'Indian Wars' of the end of the 19th century were very much Native Americans rioting. And they were slaughtered.

In 1961, a militant Native American organisation, the National Indian Youth Council, began to use the phrase "Red Power." They sponsored demonstrations, marches, and "fish-ins" to protest state efforts to abolish Indian fishing rights guaranteed by federal treaties.

In November 1969, about 200 Native Americans seized the abandoned federal penitentiary on Alcatraz Island in San Francisco Bay. For 19 months, Indian activists occupied the island to draw attention to conditions on the nation's Indian reservations.

In 1972, American Indian Movement seized the offices of the Bureau of Indian Affairs in Washington, D.C., and occupied them for a week.

In 1973, a group of 200 heavily armed Native Americans took over the town of Wounded Knee, South Dakota--site of an 1890 massacre of 300 Sioux by the U.S. Army cavalry. They occupied the town for 71 days.

Far more recently - and ongoing - has been the Standing Rock Sioux protests against a pipeline on their lands.

It's not just African Americans who riot. It's just that those are the ones we tend to hear about.

Map linked outlines all the civil disturbances in the US (or at least those ones on wikipedia lists so there may be more) between 2000 -2020 and breaks them down into various categories - race is one of four. They also say the vast majority of civil disturbances between 2000- 2010 were related to sports/events.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/mapping-civil-unrest-in-the-united-states-2000-2020/

In a 10 year period sports fans rioted the most in the US :eek:. Who'd a thunk it.

well done.

you just proved my point.

I stated TWICE, and each time you seem to ignore it, that my issue is with violent protests that break the law.

Bloody sunday was not a violent protest.

Are you grasping it yet ?

Bloody Sunday was not a violent protest and was still treated violently. My point being, in case you didn’t grasp it (you didn’t) that peaceful intentions by protesters are no guarantee of response in kind. We have seen numerous examples in the last 2 weeks of this, with police escalating to violence with peaceful protesters and demonstrators. So what social contract is there for them to act with utter restraint? All the same, far more than 99% of the people who have stood up or kneeled for George Floyd are violent. You can write any number of laws to make protests illegal and therefore breaking the law and therefore framing protests as immoral to all the simpletons, but the reality is more shaded than that. Curfews are one excellent example of this, placing an imaginary obstruction to free speech in order to thinly justify violent crackdowns and escalations of force whether a protest remains peaceful or not.

Is this a bad time to mention every western nations complicity in the triangle trade?

Don't forget the Africans who captured and sold them to the whites either .

Don't forget the Africans who captured and sold them to the whites either .

They were implicitly included as a major important leg in the triangle but aye.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/when-the-slave-traders-were-african-11568991595

Bloody Sunday was not a violent protest and was still treated violently. My point being, in case you didn’t grasp it (you didn’t) that peaceful intentions by protesters are no guarantee of response in kind. We have seen numerous examples in the last 2 weeks of this, with police escalating to violence with peaceful protesters and demonstrators. So what social contract is there for them to act with utter restraint? All the same, far more than 99% of the people who have stood up or kneeled for George Floyd are violent. You can write any number of laws to make protests illegal and therefore breaking the law and therefore framing protests as immoral to all the simpletons, but the reality is more shaded than that. Curfews are one excellent example of this, placing an imaginary obstruction to free speech in order to thinly justify violent crackdowns and escalations of force whether a protest remains peaceful or not.

Please explain to me how bloody sunday which was peaceful protesters protesting is the same as people who are breaking the law with premeditated violent rioting ?

This is my 4th time saying I have an issue with people violent protesting breaking the law.
    The people protesting in bloody sunday had no violent intentions.

You have moaned at everyone and everything, and think you are an authority on anything.
    Try reading posts

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    In a 10 year period sports fans rioted the most in the US :eek:. Who'd a thunk it.

No surprise here. The Catalonians are doing enough of it too; we're just not hearing about it all that much either. :pac:

• Advertisement

This is the problem I have with all this vicarious sin. Either we're all guilty or none of us are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Christy42

Well the city of Minneapolis is going to have to defund a lot more than the police I think.

$55 million worth of Property Damage
    220 Building damaged or destroyed that is homes and businesses.
    No estimate for the properties looted likely to be in the millions also.

Thousands of jobs lost a result, that is thousands of families who were already struggling are looking at very serious personal financial situations including evictions, repossessions, bankruptcy.

That is just one city.

I have to say, those celebrities who paid money into bailing rioters and looters out of jail have blood on their hands, their vapid narcissism has probably cost people their livelihoods, their health and damaged families who were already in crisis...Nobody cares about their lives!!

I still can't believe they haven't been shamed though I shouldn't be surprised....These people whose lives will never be the same again are innocent hard working law abiding people that celebrities saw fit to throw under a bus to appease their own narcissism....it really is a twisted time we live in.

The police budget for this year alone is 193million. So they should be able to handle 55 million easily enough really.

2u2me wrote: »
    This is the problem I have with all this vicarious sin. Either we're all guilty or none of us are.

Go away with your logic that doesn't fit Overheal's political narrative..

Christy42 wrote: »
    The police budget for this year alone is 193million. So they should be able to handle 55 million easily enough really.

Any chance you could share your calculations with the rest of us?

You might be surprised to know but if you read enough history , blacks weren't the only people to be slaves , Romans ,Egyptians , Greek , they all used slaves even Irish were taken as slaves by the Vikings every civilization through history used slaves . you can even go back to ww2 where the germans worked people to death building for them . How about child slavery in India making clothes that's still going on . Blacks in America would have the same experience of slavery that I have. ... None

Please explain to me how bloody sunday which was peaceful protesters protesting is the same as people who are breaking the law with premeditated violent rioting ?

This is my 4th time saying I have an issue with people violent protesting breaking the law.
    The people protesting in bloody sunday had no violent intentions.

You have moaned at everyone and everything, and think you are an authority on anything.
    Try reading posts
    I do read posts. What makes you think I dont? But please don’t scale back the melodrama. I’ve already responded to your viewpoint so there’s no need to repeat yourself if it’s an inconvenience to you.

I never said Selma and George Floyd were the same, that’s a new straw man from you. What I said was that given the history of the United States, Americans have no guarantee (as plainly reaffirmed this week on multiple occasions) that being peaceful is no guarantee of being treated peacefully. This is the core problem with policing in America: violent unilateral police escalation.

You can take umbrage with law breakers all you like that’s your prerogative. I don’t bemoan people for violating a bogus curfew. Nobody is inciting violence on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,048 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Terminator Cop does not quit until he gets his man.

2u2me wrote: »

Valid point. I guess since people live here now though and have seen generations of systemic oppression it’s hard to accept the argument, today, that the system is hunky dory, based even just on what’s been unfolding. As for Caribbeans who recently migrated to England theyre at a hell of stretch of the imagination I would think, but perhaps I’m missing something.

You might be surprised to know but if you read enough history , blacks weren't the only people to be slaves , Romans ,Egyptians , Greek , they all used slaves even Irish were taken as slaves by the Vikings every civilization through history used slaves . you can even go back to ww2 where the germans worked people to death building for them . How about child slavery in India making clothes that's still going on . Blacks in America would have the same experience of slavery that I have. ... None

Yeah not of slavery. Blacks in America are old enough to remember not having the right to vote, or be a member of a jury, or go to the same water fountains. And still there is a lot of violent friction with the police that’s never gone away. Granted, they aren’t Bombing them anymore. They’re old enough to remember lynching in living memory.

• Advertisement

Valid point. I guess since people live here now though and have seen generations of systemic oppression it’s hard to accept the argument, today, that the system is hunky dory, based even just on what’s been unfolding. As for Caribbeans who recently migrated to England theyre at a hell of stretch of the imagination I would think, but perhaps I’m missing something.

Your talking out your arse, the ones that came here ,came from Africa , they got given free houses , medical cards, children's allowance , does that sound like systemic oppression. Do you honestly think blacks who are born in Dublin in the last 20 years are oppressed ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement