Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Overheal wrote: »
    It’s a simple question. How much time between the order and the refusal? Oh, no time? How inconvenient for those defending this indefensible act of violence. It’s no wonder you would deflect away from that.

Its impossible to tell because we only have one 5 second clip ,

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It’s a simple question. How much time between the order and the refusal? Oh, no time? How inconvenient for those defending this indefensible act of violence. It’s no wonder you would deflect away from that.

Simple question. But not a simple answer for us keyboard warriors here in Ireland..

So, just assume that the cops didn’t push him for no good reason..

The video shows what happened...the man created the incident. He started it..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

walshb wrote: »
    Simple question. But not a simple answer for us keyboard warriors here in Ireland..

There's no good reason to push anyone in any profession. Law enforcement or otherwise. It quite clearly wasn't self defense. It's assault. Plain and simple and on camera. The police have no authority to push some one as that is assault. And as a police office he would have been trained and knows this. It's negligence.

I'm sorry but you can't argue it wasnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No I’d say the police started it by assembling the gang of jackboots, but who started it is the last defense of a childs argument. If the man really “started something” he would have been charged with a misdemeanor or felony. Yet, no charges were filed, so that’s a bust. Clearly the officers couldn’t identify anything illegal that the gentlemen did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's no good reason to push anyone in any profession. Law enforcement or otherwise. It quite clearly wasn't self defense. It's assault. Plain and simple and on camera. The police have no authority to push some one as that is assault. And as a police office he would have been trained and knows this. It's negligence.

your are not correct.

if some one refuses to move minimal force can and should be used

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

That is the point that a lot of people are missing, the police are not allowed to assault someone. Force must be proportional. The policeman was a young man probably well trained and physically strong.

He should have known not to push an elderly man like that.
    I'm no genius but I know that.

mynamejeff wrote: »
    your are not correct.

if some one refuses to move minimal force can and should be used

Minimal force was not applied here. Force was excessive and sent the gentleman to hospital with a fractured skull and internal hemorrhaging

By the rules of the law if someone continues to walk towards you and you tell them numerous times to stop and they continue you have a right to defend yourself , Its actually classed as assault

The push itself was well within the bounds of reasonable force, unfortunately he lost his footing ,

Again this is a Police officer with a fire arm so you can not let someone walk up on you like that ,

Yes he could have been arrested but it was obvious the police man thought a simple push will get him to clear off and both could do with out the hassle of arrest but unfortunately the man feel

How many videos of protest in the last few days have shown us police pushing people with no one batting an eye at them from the US to London

Minimal force was not applied here. Force was excessive and sent the gentleman to hospital with a fractured skull and internal hemorrhaging

that's untrue , the contact between the cop and the protester was minimal in the extreme . the consequences were not

your agenda is clouding your view of a 5 sec clip

joe40 wrote: »
    That is the point that a lot of people are missing, the police are not allowed to assault someone. Force must be proportional. The policeman was a young man probably well trained and physically strong.

He should have known not to push an elderly man like that.
    I'm no genius but I know that.

Now now we can’t have a sliding scale of force!? Next you will say they can’t taser a child... what’s next they have to start bringing in handcuffed suspects alive and breathing? Ha! Not ****ing likely!

• Advertisement

Its amazing how many people hate the police but yet very few would be willing to do there job,

Its almost thankless , The absolute sh*te the have to put u with on daily basis is unreal .

No one wanted to see the old man hurt but seriously what a gobsh*te to put himself in that position ,
    You'd think a man of his age would know better than to be hampering police activities ,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

How many videos of protest in the last few days have shown us police pushing people with no one batting an eye at them from the US to London

None of which is right or should not be commended when carried out against peaceful protesters.

By the rules of the law if someone continues to walk towards you and you tell them numerous times to stop and they continue you have a right to defend yourself , Its actually classed as assault

The push itself was well within the bounds of reasonable force, unfortunately he lost his footing ,

Again this is a Police officer with a fire arm so you can not let someone walk up on you like that ,

Yes he could have been arrested but it was obvious the police man thought a simple push will get him to clear off and both could do with out the hassle of arrest but unfortunately the man feel

How many times was he told to stop? How much time was he given to respond? How hard is it to apply the correct amount of force to move a 75-year old man?

that's untrue , the contact between the cop and the protester was minimal in the extreme . the consequences were not

your agenda is clouding your view of a 5 sec clip

What agenda?

How many times was he told to stop? How much time was he given to respond? How hard is it to apply the correct amount of force to move a 75-year old man?

again demanding answers that you know well do not exist ,

Now now we can’t have a sliding scale of force!? Next you will say they can’t taser a child... what’s next they have to start bringing in handcuffed suspects alive and breathing? Ha! Not ****ing likely!

What a stupid comment ,what have them police men have nothing to do with George Flyod ,

Its like saying I best not go to my local GP because Harold Shipmen also GP

Told enough times for everyone else to move, but not for him he instead walked towards them blatant ,disregard for the police instructions

Id imagine equal as difficult to listen to police instructions ,

Also they had no idea how old he was , his face was covered and he was brave enough to disregard there warning .

again demanding answers that you know well do not exist ,

?!

Told enough times for everyone else to move, but not for him he instead walked towards them blatant ,disregard for the police instructions

Id imagine equal as difficult to listen to police instructions ,

Also they had no idea how old he was , his face was covered and he was brave enough to disregard there warning .

You can’t spot an old man, someone who is decades your senior?

?!

its a very clear response to your very clear post , if you choose to fail to understand its all you

like I said you agenda is hurting your ability to understand

• Advertisement

And more excuses....

Non stop

And more excuses....

Non stop

So stop making excuses for the police if you’re tired of excuses.

So stop making excuses for the police if you’re tired of excuses.

I am not

Police did the right thing.....no need for me to make excuses

In every picture iv seen of him he doesn't look near 75 and that me sitting down with a cup of coffee relaxing having a good look at my computer, ,

Just put yourself in the police shoes,

Your following orders in the middle of protest after days of hard work and worry , all of a sudden there is someone not listing to police instruction walking towards you with a mask on , he was also taller than both police officers ,

I'd imagine they had no idea how old he was until they seen how he fell over,

You seem to think this is like a meeting on the street where you have time to take it all in and its in relaxed environment,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

In every picture iv seen of him he doesn't look near 75 and that me sitting down with a cup of coffee relaxing having a good look at my computer, ,

Actually that is the age he is reported as.

I am not

Police did the right thing.....no need for me to make excuses

They did the right thing? That must explain why they were suspended without pay, fired, and arrested.

:rolleyes: will you call this another excuse? Amuse me

In every picture iv seen of him he doesn't look near 75 ,

Just put yourself in the police shoes,

Your following orders in the middle of protest after days of hard work and worry , all of a sudden there is someone not listing to police instruction walking towards you with a mask on , he was also taller than both police officers ,

I'd imagine they had no idea how old he was until they seen how he fell over,

You seem to think this is like a meeting on the street where you have time to take it all in and its in relaxed environment,

Spot on

Some of the nonsense that is being spouted here expecting cops to do this, that and the other for every person they ever encounter....

To sit down with every person that confronts them to get a life history on the person? Utter rubbish

The man made moves, kept making moves and insisted on antagonizing and challenging them.....but they were to investigate him thoroughly before they could respond in any way? Rubbish

They did the right thing? That must explain why they were suspended without pay, fired, and arrested.

:rolleyes: will you call this another excuse? Amuse me

No. Their firing is a disgrace.....but not a surprise.....cowardly act by their people to appease the mob...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Spot on

Some of the nonsense that is being spouted here expecting cops to do this, that and the other for every person they ever encounter....

To sit down with every person that confronts them to get a life history on the person? Utter rubbish

The man made moves, kept making moves and insisted on antagonizing and challenging them.....but they were to investigate him thoroughly before they could respond in any way? Rubbish

he did a lot in the few seconds he was standing in front of them

• Advertisement

Actually that is the age he is reported as.

Ye I know that, my point is he doesn't look it so how could the police know he was 75 , Its in response to people saying you should never push a 75 yearold ,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement