Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

walshb wrote: »
    No. Their firing is a disgrace.....but not a surprise.....cowardly act by their people to appease the mob...

:D you are a riot unto yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

"The fired rookie cop who bailed out of jail on serious charges over George Floyd’s death managed to raise his $750,000 bond with the help of donations to a crowdfunding site, according to a report."

https://nypost.com/2020/06/11/george-floyd-rookie-cop-used-crowdfunding-to-pay-750k-bail/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    My post was in response to the suggestion that it seems like 'only' African Americans among minority groups engage in protests. That simply isn't true.

That's fair enough, It just seemed you were saying they had no historical reasons to protest like other groups, I was pointing out they had, even if it wasn't as bad as other groups, but we seem to agree now.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    He has a constitutional right to peaceful protest.

Do you have a constitutional right:
    To enter a crime scene?
    To walk on grass where it says "Do not walk on grass".
    To shout "Bomb" in an airport?
    To go wherever you like in a curfew?

These things don't happen in a vacuum.
    joe40 wrote: »
    None of us are guilty of what happened in the past, no one is saying that.
    Modern day Brits aren't guilty about atrocities in Ireland it is simply part of Britains history.
    These protests are about current Events in the US not historical crimes.

I'm not sure that's what we're seeing playing out on the ground, or at least how the media are covering it.The historical context seems to be the one being emphasized by the activists. (destroying statues, emphasis on slavery,etc..etc..)
    biko wrote: »
    SeattleAutonomousZone now has a warlord. It’s been 2 days.

Tim Pool says it reminds him of Occupy Wall Street (which he covered intensely at the time).

He says that there were rapists allowed to get away with their crimes at Occupy because the protestors were scared it would damage their reputation to inform the police of what happened. Everything else becomes secondary to the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Its amazing how many people hate the police but yet very few would be willing to do there job,

Its almost thankless , The absolute sh*te the have to put u with on daily basis is unreal .

No one wanted to see the old man hurt but seriously what a gobsh*te to put himself in that position ,
    You'd think a man of his age would know better than to be hampering police activities ,

I absolutely do not hate the police and would always support the Gardai. They have their issues but on the whole I think they do a good job in difficult circumstances.

I still fail to see how anyone can look at the video of the old man been pushed over in the manner in which he was and think it was ok.
    Then the callous manner all the police walked by without hardly a look.

I don't believe our Gardai would have behaved like that with an elderly man and they're perfectly capable of swinging a baton when the need arises.

Maybe they're just more professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Spot on

Some of the nonsense that is being spouted here expecting cops to do this, that and the other for every person they ever encounter....

To sit down with every person that confronts them to get a life history on the person? Utter rubbish

The man made moves, kept making moves and insisted on antagonizing and challenging them.....but they were to investigate him thoroughly before they could respond in any way? Rubbish

100% agree
    In mass protest people expect them to listen to every single person point or they should have just arrested him , They simple don't have the ability to arrest everyone who confronts them in these protests ,

• Advertisement

It wasn’t a crime scene. These attempts to justify what two arrested cops did is getting increasingly pathetic.

It's gone well into the soapboxing territory a long time ago imo. It's ridiculous and stupid!

I absolutely do not hate the police and would always support the Gardai. They have their issues but on the whole I think they do a good job in difficult circumstances.

I still fail to see how anyone can look at the video of the old man been pushed over in the manner in which he was and think it was ok.

I don't believe our Gardai would have behaved like that with an elderly man and they're perfectly capable of swinging a baton when the need arises.

AGS is one national force with standard training and procedure. The US has over 17,000 police departments and there are glaring deficiencies of standardization.

Ok he was pushed and he unfortunately fell , it was simple push it wasn't some kind of slam .

Now secondly watch the video the Police man who pushed him goes to check in him but a higher ranked officer ( different badge) come up from behind and move him on, Watch that officer he straight away radios it in from the equipment on his shoulder,
    John Evans has said its was procedure for that kind of unit to keep moving and the officer where doing as they are trained ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Ok he was pushed and he unfortunately fell , it was simple push it wasn't some kind of slam .

Now secondly watch the video the Police man who pushed him goes to check in him but a higher ranked officer ( different badge) come up from behind and move him on, Watch that officer he straight away radios it in from the equipment on his shoulder,
    John Evans has said its was procedure for that kind of unit to keep moving and the officer where doing as they are trained ,

Fair enough I can accept the walking past if help was requested immediately. For me it still doesn't take away the fact the push was too strong on an elderly man.
    Excessive force was used, in that circumstance.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    It wasn’t a crime scene. These attempts to justify what two arrested cops did is getting increasingly pathetic.

If that was 3 weeks ago that story would have received similar attention to that of George Floyd IMO.

Brutal police behaviour; people would have been outraged.

People are merely explaining why there isn't as much outrage in this current climate.
    It's in no way excusing the cops behaviour. Things changed a lot in a week.

False dichotomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

2u2me wrote: »
    If that was 3 weeks ago that story would have received similar attention to that of George Floyd IMO.

Brutal police behaviour; people would have been outraged.

People are merely explaining why there isn't as much outrage in this current climate.
    It's in no way excusing the cops behaviour. Things changed a lot in a week.

False dichotomy.

people are saying it is entirely his false. how is that not excusing the cops behaviour?

people are saying it is entirely his false. how is that not excusing the cops behaviour?

Apologies, I was talking about me. Argue with whoever is saying its entirely false.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Killing isn't illegal around these parts. Murder is.

I believe you'll find that the vast majority of police shootings are justified, and the vast minority of shootings of police are justified.

This is going back a bit and you may not see this.

But out of curiosity, in the Taylor case, if police did in fact fail to announce themselves as police when they barged in at 3am - would you consider that a "justified" killing of police is the boyfriend had killed one of them?

As to whether the vast majority of police shootings are justified, is the entire point not that we can not trust that statement coming from the criminal justice system?

Fair enough I can accept the walking past if help was requested immediately. For me it still doesn't take away the fact the push was too strong on an elderly man.
    Excessive force was used, in that circumstance.

That's fair enough , I just think people don't release how tuff it is for officer and have a sheltered view that somehow they have time and ability to chat to guy and say oh its cool this is just some 75 year old man,

I think the push obviously ended up being to hard as he fell over but I don't think it was the intent of the police and to hurt the man ,

"Update – June 11, 9:18 a.m.: David Pinney, a man who said George Floyd “bumped heads” with Derek Chauvin, now says that he mistook Floyd for another black employee at a nightclub.

The club’s former owner Maya Santamaria got him in touch with CBS News for his interview.

“She specifically said she was unable to give detail information about George because she did not have a close relationship with him as I did,” he told the outlet, saying this led to the mistake he made. “I apologize for not doing my due diligence and placing you in a very uncomfortable situation.”

He nonetheless maintained his account that Chauvin was aggressive."

https://lawandcrime.com/george-floyd-death/george-floyd-previously-bumped-heads-with-officer-who-kneeled-on-his-neck-says-mutual-former-co-worker/

I don't think anyone has said its entirely his fault,he put himself in harms way but the police man was obviously the one that pushed him

I for one just think the police man should NOT lose his job over it , I think it was an unfortunate accident and the event started due to the mans behaviour but was obviously not entirely his fault ,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I am not

Police did the right thing.....no need for me to make excuses

They severely injured an old man. There's is nothing right about that. There's nothing right ever about police brutality.
    Just put yourself in the police shoes,

Your following orders in the middle of protest after days of hard work and worry , all of a sudden there is someone not listing to police instruction walking towards you with a mask on , he was also taller than both police officers ,

I'd imagine they had no idea how old he was until they seen how he fell over,

You seem to think this is like a meeting on the street where you have time to take it all in and its in relaxed environment,

How about the officer in question followed his training. Give the guy a warning. Then if he didn't comply arrest him. If he resists, arrest with the appropriate amount of force. Instead he choose to assault him then left him bleeding and unconscious.

The Police have a duty to keep the peace, serve and protect. Serve and protect the very people this police officer gave concussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I don't think anyone has said its entirely his fault,he put himself in harms way but the police man was obviously the one that pushed him

I for one just think the police man should NOT lose his job over it , I think it was an unfortunate accident and the event started due to the mans behaviour but was obviously not entirely his fault ,

i decided to only quote 2 examples. one of them being a post of yours
    More goal posts moving and excuses and blaming everyone but the actual person responsible, the falling man.
    It seems you can't comprehend what Walsh B has been saying , Whatever he was ,what ever done or didn't do before that day is just padding to the story ,
    In that moment he refused to listen to numerous police instructions and done the opposite and walk towards them ,

He lack of common sense lead to the incident, yes of course the police action are also involved but all could have be avoided by him,

"Update – June 11, 9:18 a.m.: David Pinney, a man who said George Floyd “bumped heads” with Derek Chauvin, now says that he mistook Floyd for another black employee at a nightclub.

It's genuinely shocking how often eye-witness testiomy in court is wrong.

It's why I find it hard to digest subjective experiences into fact.

• Advertisement

Someone also clearly stated it was “100%” the old man’s fault

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They severely injured an old man. There's is nothing right about that. There's nothing right ever about police brutality.

How about the officer in question followed his training. Give the guy a warning. Then if he didn't comply arrest him. If he resists, arrest with the appropriate amount of force. Instead he choose to assault him then left him bleeding and unconscious.

The Police have a duty to keep the peace, serve and protect. Serve and protect the very people this police officer gave concussion.

He choose to push him away and he fell over don't make it something its not ,

As John Evans said both officer where doing what they are trained to do ,

Are you ok ? the post you quoted of mines says " yes of course the police actions are also involved "

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

AGS is one national force with standard training and procedure. The US has over 17,000 police departments and there are glaring deficiencies of standardization.

https://www.thejournal.ie/bray-men-court-protests-2765451-May2016/

very similar age profile from these two lads , walking sticks and crutch's too .

I know Sean Doyle and can assure he only needs the walking stick when going on a protest ,

Same lad got a slap of a baton in gorey a few years later and the garda was cleared as it was shown that doyle had instigated the incident and was grabbing at him under the level of the camera

any one see any parallels here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

One of the four ex-police now out on bail. Awful lot of money for him to pay himself.
    MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. – One of the former police officers arrested in the death of George Floyd is out of jail.

The Hennepin County Jail website lists Thomas Keirnan Lane, 37, as having paid bond and been released from custody around 4 pm Wednesday. Lane was being held on $750,000 bond for aiding and abetting 2nd degree murder and 2nd degree manslaughter.
    The jail website lists his next court appearance as June 29.

https://www.kimt.com/content/news/Police-officer-charged-in-death-of-George-Floyd-is-out-of-jail-571170891.html

One of the four ex-police now out on bail. Awful lot of money for him to pay himself.

https://www.kimt.com/content/news/Police-officer-charged-in-death-of-George-Floyd-is-out-of-jail-571170891.html

His bail was crowdfunded.

His bail was crowdfunded.

Lane had been on the police force for four days when Floyd died and was "doing everything he thought he was supposed to do as a four-day police officer,"

He was the officer who:
    "suggested more than once that they roll the Floyd to his side"

CNN

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

He choose to push him away and he fell over don't make it something its not ,

As John Evans said both officer where doing what they are trained to do ,

I'm not. It's assault. As I said before if you forcibly pushed someone away and they tripped and cracked their heads you'd be up for assault even if it's an accident. The police aren't above the law. And as a trained professional he should have known better.

2u2me wrote: »
    Lane had been on the police force for four days when Floyd died and was "doing everything he thought he was supposed to do as a four-day police officer,"

He was the officer who:
    "suggested more than once that they roll the Floyd to his side"

CNN

The MPD protocol states that if an officer sees excessive use of force being used they're to step in, he tried yes then he took a back seat and let the scene play out.

• Advertisement

The MPD protocol states that if an officer sees excessive use of force being used they're to step in, he tried yes then he took a back seat and let the scene play out.

Well that's all fair enough; but how is he to know what excessive force is? He hardly has any experience. Also imagine how difficult it is to overrule your superior in the first week, you won't have much of a career.

I'd say this is why he raised so much money, just my guess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement