Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm not. It's assault. As I said before if you forcibly pushed someone away and they tripped and cracked their heads you'd be up for assault even if it's an accident. The police aren't above the law. And as a trained professional he should have known better.

You’d be up for attempted murder to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

2u2me wrote: »
    Well that's all fair enough; but how is he to know what excessive force is? He hardly has any experience. Also imagine how difficult it is to overrule your superior in the first week, you won't have much of a career.

I'd say this is why he raised so much money, just my guess.

I believe (open to correction here) that this officer is the one who took a pulse and found none, he asked Derek should he be rolled over, he said no and they continued to restrain a dead man.

I've said it earlier, the attitude of cops not having the backs of **** cops is a problem in the states, probably the world over. They're **** cops and the good ones need to step up, otherwise they become part of the problem of aiding these type of cnuts to continue in a position they are not fit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

2u2me wrote: »
    Well that's all fair enough; but how is he to know what excessive force is? He hardly has any experience. Also imagine how difficult it is to overrule your superior in the first week, you won't have much of a career.

I'd say this is why he raised so much money, just my guess.

they knelt on his neck for nearly 9 minutes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Overheal wrote: »
    You’d be up for attempted murder to be fair.

no you wouldn't

again your overstating your knowledge on an issue

at most assault would be the charge

you may be charged with manslaughter if the person died

• Registered Users Posts: 36,048 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What did George pass to that cop while on the ground, and why is it not getting mentioned. Seems a big deal to me, that George gave the cop something, and he pocketed it very fast while making sure no one was looking .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I'm not. It's assault. As I said before if you forcibly pushed someone away and they tripped and cracked their heads you'd be up for assault even if it's an accident. The police aren't above the law. And as a trained professional he should have known better.

Its not assault if you tell someone multiple times to move away and they move towards you , its self defence to push them away with reasonable force ( unfortunately he fell over )

No chance your getting done when the other person is the aggressor and all you've done is push them away ,

What did George pass to that cop while on the ground, and why is it not getting mentioned. Seems a big deal to me, that George gave the cop something, and he pocketed it very fast while making sure no one was looking .

Didn't notice that,
    I seen some odd video trending on twitter of him on the stretcher where his legs look awful odd, But iv no idea if its a real video,

mynamejeff wrote: »
    no you wouldn't

again your overstating your knowledge on an issue

at most assault would be the charge

you may be charged with manslaughter if the person died

If you can be charged with manslaughter you can be charged with attempted murder. Don’t need a lawyer to figure that one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

No chance your getting done when the other person is the aggressor and all you've done is push them away ,

The DA, PC, Mayor and Governor disagree with you there. Cuomo even said there was criminal liability shown in the video. Plus the officers involved have been charged.

Its not assault if you tell someone multiple times to move away and they move towards you , its self defence to push them away with reasonable force ( unfortunately he fell over )

No accounting for the fact the officers moved towards the guy? “Self defense for a riot gear column to march forward” you say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If the cops gets done here they may as well all go fooking home, because they won't be able to do their job....

Every instance of someone refusing to comply, challenging them, making actual bodily contact, and they have to wait for something bad to possibly happen?

The authorities need to be very careful here on how they proceed against the police.

walshb wrote: »
    If the cops gets done here they may as well all go fooking home, because they won;t be able to do their job....

Every instance of someone refusing to comply, challenging them, making actual bodily contact, and they have to wait for something bad to possibly happen?

The alternative is escalation by the police which clearly is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,048 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Didn't notice that,
    I seen some odd video trending on twitter of him on the stretcher where his legs look awful odd, But iv no idea if its a real video,

I posted a video on here, but seems someone deleted it. Plus it seems edited from all videos on line now.
    Nothing to do with the fact they murdered him, but just curious as to what it was all about.

He was speaking to cop while sitting by the wall, they talked, george leaned to side, put something on ground. Cop looked around, made sure no one was looking, hesitated once, then grabbed what ever it was was pocketed it fast.
    Surely it's relevant though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's not a big deal. Not compared to the brutal killing of a man.

Maybe. But there was no evidence in that video at all that warranted the police officer to use self defense against a geriatric 75 year old man.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The alternative is escalation by the police which clearly is a problem.

Is it not alarming to you that many many colleagues stood down in protest at the arrest of the cops here? Now, of course, that could be seen as them standing up for their men, but also, they are people, they saw clearly what happened. Is it not plausible that they, like me think that their officers were absolutely within their rights to use moderate force, and it was moderate. It was a push.....

There needs to be balance here......pardon the pun.

If you can be charged with manslaughter you can be charged with attempted murder. Don’t need a lawyer to figure that one out.

Im sure in America you can but you wouldn't be

You have made it clear that you don't know what each charge means then

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Maybe. But there was no evidence in that video at all that warranted the police officer to use self defense against a geriatric 75 year old man.

Threes no evidence he was geriatric ?

walshb wrote: »
    Is it not alarming to you that many many colleagues stood down in protest at the arrest of the cops here? Now, of course, that could be seen as them standing up for their men, but also, they are people, they saw clearly what happened. Is it not plausible that they, like me think that their officers were absolutely within their rights to use moderate force, and it was moderate. It was a push.....

There needs to be balance here......pardon the pun.

They’re the blue wall. Of course they don’t see anything wrong. Even the cop who cracked open a kids skull with a baton was cheered by cop sympathizers and his union is even selling t shirts in the guys honor. I don’t find it alarming that the cops ran away from doing ERT again no. Fcuk em, we can get better people to do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Overheal wants one old man to have the power to stop riot police ,

They all should have stopped and asked him if he was ok and obeyed his demands , Don't you know he was 75 ? there for he can do whatever he pleases ,

What about the other thousands of protestor I hear you say well , there going to stop and ask them one by one how old they are and if there old they will then ask them what there issue is and then decided further action when they take everyone's opinion into account,,

why was a 75 year old out during the lockdown ?

Its America he could have been armed, if he was a law biding citizen he would have listened to instruction , The police are jumpy as F*Ck in the states and for good reason ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Self defense, the police man was defending himself. Seriously that is nonsense.
    It was the type of push you see constantly in a Gaelic match.
    The difference is between two athletes it's not a problem, but strong young man and old man, on concrete, could be deadly.
    I can accept maybe the police man didn't mean to do as much damage but he still now must face up to his responsibility.

Whatever he wants this is America. Perhaps a haircut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Someone also clearly stated it was “100%” the old man’s fault

“Old man”. He was a professional agitator. He knew what he was doing. Painting him as some elderly gentleman who got caught up in something he shouldn’t have is nonsense. He got what was coming to him. Perhaps now he’ll have the sense to stay home.

“Old man”. He was a professional agitator. He knew what he was doing. Painting him as some elderly gentleman who got caught up in something he shouldn’t have is nonsense. He got what was coming to him. Perhaps now he’ll have the sense to stay home.

Do you have evidence that he was a professional agitator? I have yet to see any, barring some right wing message board accusing him of such and trump himself tweeting it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

be careful, your logic and truth wont sit well with overheal who will find fault with this along with everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

exercising his constitutional rights. and the lockdown hadn't started when he was assaulted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Threes no evidence he was geriatric ?

His age is evidence. What do you think geriatric means??

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

If they gently brought him over and sat him down in a chair and give him a drink and 2 seconds later pushed a black person down on the ground there would be some song and dance about white privilege and not everyone is treated equally. But no he was treated like everyone else isn't that what people what.

Do you have evidence that he was a professional agitator?.

do you have evidence he isn't ?

• Advertisement

mynamejeff wrote: »
    do you have evidence he isn't ?

You’re asking me for proof of a negative, lol. I’m asking you to support your own claim. Burden of proof my guy. You claimed he was a professional agitator where is your proof?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement