Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

“ Thursday, Congressman Bobby Rush, a Democrat who represents a Chicago-area district, made a stunning claim at a press conference alongside Chicago mayor Lori Lightfoot: during the unrest and looting that occurred in the city two weeks ago during the George Floyd protests, Rush said that his South Side campaign office was broken into, and the Chicago police who responded lounged around in his office, reclined on couches, put their feet up on desks, made coffee and popcorn — while ignoring looting that was occurring in a nearby shopping plaza.

“And Rush brought the receipts — security cameras in his office had caught the police officers on video as they enjoyed their break from their duties.”

https://www.mediaite.com/news/congressman-bobby-rush-says-chicago-cops-lounged-in-his-office-made-coffee-and-popcorn-while-nearby-businesses-were-looted/

Maybe violence in Chicago is so bad because the police are corrupt

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

So you advocate people breaking the law ?
    I do not break the law,and you might be a mod but that does not give you the right but dont try to imply I do.

I respect the law, just because you do not, dont try and paint me otherwise.

Mod

Gonna try nip this in the bud the easy way. Lads (both), take it easy and try discuss things with each other civilly. Discuss each others posts, not each other.

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

no problem baggly.
    I asked a question...and was answered with a reply that inferred I broke the law.
    That I had an issue with.

Justin my remark wasn’t personal it was a sarcastic way of differentiating shades of “breaking the law” from jaywalking up to mass murder. Your previous comment had been high horse brow beating about any breaking of the law, period, because an old man was outside before dusk and there was a curfew on as an excuse to brutalize and arrest protesters.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

See now if both of you had just left it at your respective first sentences we would all be better off. Calm the heads lads.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Justin my remark wasn’t personal it was a sarcastic way of differentiating shades of “breaking the law” from jaywalking up to mass murder. Your previous comment had been high horse brow beating about any breaking of the law, period, because an old man was outside before dusk and there was a curfew on as an excuse to brutalize and arrest protesters.

you try find fault with others opinion.
    We are all entitled to opinions, yours do not trump others.
    It is my opinion the old man should not only not have been out, he should not have impeded the oncoming police and put himself in that position.
    A normal person would have got out of the way of the oncoming police.

Now your opinion differs, and that is your right, but it does not mean you are right all the time.

you try find fault with others opinion.
    We are all entitled to opinions, yours do not trump others.
    It is my opinion the old man should not only not have been out, he should not have impeded the oncoming police and put himself in that position.
    A normal person would have got out of the way of the oncoming police.

Now your opinion differs, and that is your right, but it does not mean you are right all the time.

Now given the content of your posts in the thread this accusation is highly laughable and hypocritical.

I never claimed to be correct all the time, nor did I claim people don’t have a prerogative to their own opinions; that is a complete fabrication on your end.

Old man was exercising his rights to protest and had reasonable expectation that by doing so non violently he would be treated non violently, and at least of all would not be sent to hospital bleeding out the ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,048 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What did George pass to that cop while on the ground, and why is it not getting mentioned. Seems a big deal to me, that George gave the cop something, and he pocketed it very fast while making sure no one was looking .
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's not a big deal. Not compared to the brutal killing of a man.

It has to be a big deal. It proves that the cop knew George, and that cop was on drugs. Proving you knew someone you murdered leads to the question of why.

Now given the content of your posts in the thread this accusation is highly laughable and hypocritical.

I never claimed to be correct all the time, nor did I claim people don’t have a prerogative to their own opinions; that is a complete fabrication on your end.

Old man was exercising his rights to protest and had reasonable expectation that by doing so non violently he would be treated non violently, and at least of all would not be sent to hospital bleeding out the ears.

he was pushed out of the way, he was not beaten, tear gassed, or attacked with a baton, he was pushed aside by the police he impeded after ignoring a warning.

Had he heeded the warning and not impeded them the incident would not have happened.
    He has to take responsibility for his own actions

he was pushed out of the way, he was not beaten, tear gassed, or attacked with a baton, he was pushed aside by the police he impeded after ignoring a warning.

Had he heeded the warning and not impeded them the incident would not have happened.

And the cops theirs. They were charged he was not. /shrug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

“ Thursday, Congressman Bobby Rush, a Democrat who represents a Chicago-area district, made a stunning claim at a press conference alongside Chicago mayor Lori Lightfoot: during the unrest and looting that occurred in the city two weeks ago during the George Floyd protests, Rush said that his South Side campaign office was broken into, and the Chicago police who responded lounged around in his office, reclined on couches, put their feet up on desks, made coffee and popcorn — while ignoring looting that was occurring in a nearby shopping plaza.

“And Rush brought the receipts — security cameras in his office had caught the police officers on video as they enjoyed their break from their duties.”

https://www.mediaite.com/news/congressman-bobby-rush-says-chicago-cops-lounged-in-his-office-made-coffee-and-popcorn-while-nearby-businesses-were-looted/

Maybe violence in Chicago is so bad because the police are corrupt

Yes, the police sitting down is definitely responsible for people stealing, robbing and vandalising, ruining likely many shop keepers lifelong efforts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Pushing an elderly person is not the same as pusing a young person. Do you have any elderly relatives, you're bound to know they're unstable and falls, even simple falls can be very dangerous.
    The police man who gave the push was reckless and overly aggressive.
    I'm fed up going over this same ground but the simple fact is the police pushed him to the ground causing a serious head injury.
    If he was breaking the law the option to arrest was clearly available to them. There was no trouble or melee at the time.
    Arrest him or ignore him two simple options.

Instead the hardman macho approach was taken.

Defending the indefensible, and the ironic thing is they're justifying violence against an old man at the same time claiming to support law and order. Nonsensical.

Yes, the police sitting down is definitely responsible for people stealing, robbing and vandalising, ruining likely many shop keepers lifelong efforts

That’s a wild extrapolation on your part. I don’t think anyone was reporting this justified looting. I certainly didn’t. It does call into question how bad Chicago PD allowed things to get, if they allowed it to happen instead of enforcing against it.

Your logic is as baseless as suggesting that mass shootings are okay because the deputy at Stoneman Douglas was afraid to confront the shooter. You would find people condemning both mass shootings and his failure as a deputy, with no hypocrisy necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

That’s a wild extrapolation on your part. I don’t think anyone was reporting this justified looting. I certainly didn’t. It does call into question how bad Chicago PD allowed things to get, if they allowed it to happen instead of enforcing against it.

Your logic is as baseless as suggesting that mass shootings are okay because the deputy at Stoneman Douglas was afraid to confront the shooter. You would find people condemning both mass shootings and his failure as a deputy, with no hypocrisy necessary.

There is just a theme of undermining and blaming the police. Do the mayor and those who represent Chicago not share the blame?

No sides in this are coming out well, but the police seem to be cast as the "bad guys".

And no that's not what I am suggesting, very much the opposite

There is just a theme of undermining and blaming the police. Do the mayor and those who represent Chicago not share the blame?

No sides in this are coming out well, but the police seem to be cast as the "bad guys".

And no that's not what I am suggesting, very much the opposite

And protesters are “the bad guys,” and whether it’s an isolated band of crazies in mineapolos or the Seattle CHAZ etc it’s all blamed monolithically on the left, Antifa, BLM, Democrats, etc.

I think most people are aware of the nuances both ways. The city only exerts so much control over the PD and it largely boils down to Union contract negotiations. We don’t know if they were ordered to hold there, or if they were just being cowards or slack asses, but it looks awful on the police and on the mayor, yes.

joe40 wrote: »
    Pushing an elderly person is not the same as pusing a young person. Do you have any elderly relatives, you're bound to know they're unstable and falls, even simple falls can be very dangerous.

Yes, and they have the common sense to know better and would not impede on coming police doing their job.

In fact they are sensible enough like most rational people to not let themselves get in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Is it too hard to ask that a cop can assess what is a threat and what isn't. And it was obvious the 75 old man wasn't a threat. They could have easily walked around him. But no we'll go with the Robocop mentality on a 75 year old. They should be charged just for being that stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

ollkiller wrote: »
    Is it too hard to ask that a cop can assess what is a threat and what isn't. And it was obvious the 75 old man wasn't a threat. They could have easily walked around him. But no we'll go with the Robocop mentality on a 75 year old. They should be charged just for being that stupid.

Completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,048 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's happening again. The fury is over, nothing has changed, back to normal, until next time.

Yes, and they have the common sense to know better and would not impede on coming police doing their job.

In fact they are sensible enough like most rational people to not let themselves get in that position.

There’s a limit to when authority should be blindly bowed to, though. Most people, but not all, will accept what those in power say is the law, but the law can also impose some ridiculous restrictions, eg. A 30 kph speed limit on a main thoroughfare in Dublin; a curfew before sunset; crossing a road outside of a crosswalk; etc. - blind obedience to the law is when power corrupts. If the laws don’t make sense the laws don’t bear adherence or enforcement. If a citizen can’t think critically about whether it is justified to impose an early evening curfew, or a jaywalking rule in a suburb, or to cruise downhill over the speed limit say, where will that citizen be when the President says hell yes it is the law it is perfectly legal to snatch children away from their mother and keep them caged up like animals for months at a time; the citizen won’t be there when an officer says hell yes it was perfectly legal to beat Rodney King 50+ times with a baton; hell yes it’s perfectly legal to smash into a home, no uniforms, cameras, knock, or announcement, to chase after thinly suspected drugs; hell yes it’s perfectly legal to waterboard Gitmo prisoners; hell yes it’s perfectly legal to shoot a fleeing suspect in the back; hell yes it’s perfectly legal to blow a kid away for playing with a toy gun in a playground; hell yes it’s perfectly legal to taser, mace, pepper spray, teargas, baton, etc. non violent protesters; hell yes it’s perfectly legal to choke the life out of someone for selling loose cigarettes; hell yes it’s perfectly legal to inter Japanese Americans.

TLDR if someone thinks law and order is above reproach and all laws should be obeyed without question then what good are they?

• Advertisement

ollkiller wrote: »

That’s my beef. The officers failed to properly regulate how much force they applied to the situation, and they were the ones to escalate it up from an old man standing in their way. There was no de-escalation. The first officer, if anybody, clearly looked like he might have begun engaging in that, but the guy next to him shoved, the guy behind him forced him forward with a hand on his back (should also be charged, imo) and there was barking from the squad at large that escalated the situation too.

It's happening again. The fury is over, nothing has changed, back to normal, until next time.

No I don’t think so. Still going on, still protests and demonstrations happening places, still have Juneteenth to look forward to next Friday which Trump is expected to insert himself into, in Tulsa the site of a race massacre 99 years ago. legislation is still before congress and open hearings are being held by the chambers. If McConnel tries to block a house bill there will be mass protests in Kentucky. Minnesota Governor just minutes ago announced support for sweeping reforms that the state legislature still needs to take up. The court cases involving george Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmad Arbery, Martin Gugino (the 75-year old man), David McAtee, dead protesters dead officers etc. will continue to play out. This is far from over..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

A former Bast@rd cops story..

https://medium.com/@OfcrACab/confessions-of-a-former-bastard-cop-bb14d17bc759

I'd really like it more if the cop put name to this.. some of the points raised are the same points raised by the AG of Minnesota in a link I posted last night. It also reads like what has come up with BLM and defund the police, more training for officer's, cops actually being cops and not social workers etc.. The time is now to reform things in the US, hopefully come November, the political will is there the next year or two is to make some fundamental changes and continue to build on it going forward.

I'm not even half way through this it's looooooong.

This is the Kelly Thomas situation a few years back, he was hanging out cops roll up and start giving him hassle and get him agitated, the cops beat the fcuking **** out of him..

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://i.ytimg.com/vi/dvB8-8x_y5k/hqdefault.jpg&imgrefurl=https://reason.com/2014/01/13/officers-in-the-beating-death-of-kelly-t/&docid=DR0nszLusNaplM&tbnid=s1SK-9oeFj30jM:&vet=1&source=sh/x/im

"Equally important to remember: disabled and mentally ill people are frequently killed by police officers not trained to recognize and react to disabilities or mental health crises. Some of the people we picture as “violent offenders” are often people struggling with untreated mental illness, often due to economic hardships. Very frequently, the officers sent to “protect the community” escalate this crisis and ultimately wound or kill the person. Your community was not made safer by police violence; a sick member of your community was killed because it was cheaper than treating them. Are you extremely confident you’ll never get sick one day too?"

The 13th is a very informative Netflix documentary for those interested. Discusses the historical progress from the abolition of slavery, through Jim Crow and segregation and why this is still a modern problem.

Even those who disagree with me here will find a lot to engage with, here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

xtal191 wrote: »

Reminds me of the South Park episode. I broke the dam.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,017 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Mr. Floyd death was reprehensible, disgusting and down right murder. everyone agrees with that. a scumbag cop.

i asked this previously; getting a fair trial amongst a jury of your peers is pretty cornerstone to US jurisprudence; can that happen with all the media coverage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Mr. Floyd death was reprehensible, disgusting and down right murder. everyone agrees with that. a scumbag cop.

i asked this previously; getting a fair trial amongst a jury of your peers is pretty cornerstone to US jurisprudence; can that happen with all the media coverage?

It'll be like the OJ trial...a mess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    It'll be like the OJ trial...a mess

Systemic racism at it most obvious :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The head of Chicago’s powerful police union said any cop in the city who takes a knee during George Floyd protests will be booted, according to a report.

John Catanzara, the new president of the Chicago Fraternal Order of Police, said the gesture, seen throughout the nation during protests over Floyd’s death in police custody in Minneapolis, is tantamount to betrayal of the uniform, he told Fox32 Chicago.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/11/chicago-police-union-boss-says-hell-boot-cops-who-kneel/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Christy42

biko wrote: »
    The head of Chicago’s powerful police union said any cop in the city who takes a knee during George Floyd protests will be booted, according to a report.

John Catanzara, the new president of the Chicago Fraternal Order of Police, said the gesture, seen throughout the nation during protests over Floyd’s death in police custody in Minneapolis, is tantamount to betrayal of the uniform, he told Fox32 Chicago.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/11/chicago-police-union-boss-says-hell-boot-cops-who-kneel/

I see political correctness gone mad written a lot. Well here it is. Any cop will be vilified by the people meant to stand up for them if they express a political opinion peacefully.

Now we have the police saying they will punish those their own for peaceful protest. What message do people think this screams out to black people in the US?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement