Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Christy42 wrote: »
    I see political correctness gone mad written a lot. Well here it is. Any cop will be vilified by the people meant to stand up for them if they express a political opinion peacefully.

Now we have the police saying they will punish those their own for peaceful protest. What message do people think this screams out to black people in the US?

They are there to do their jobs, which is to restore law and order, not kneel with those who are disrespecting law and order. They are to be above this. It is not right that they act this way during their policing duties. It's absurd. Whatever they feel in private is their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

biko wrote: »
    The head of Chicago’s powerful police union said any cop in the city who takes a knee during George Floyd protests will be booted, according to a report.

John Catanzara, the new president of the Chicago Fraternal Order of Police, said the gesture, seen throughout the nation during protests over Floyd’s death in police custody in Minneapolis, is tantamount to betrayal of the uniform, he told Fox32 Chicago.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/11/chicago-police-union-boss-says-hell-boot-cops-who-kneel/

I wouldn't have much problem with this if the police unions were apolitical, but they're not. That is a big problem in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

walshb wrote: »
    They are there to do their jobs, which is to restore law and order, not kneel with those who are disrespecting law and order. They are to be above this. It is not right that they act this way during their policing duties. It's absurd. Whatever they feel in private is their business.

they have the same right to peaceful protest as everybody else

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Christy42

Yes kneeling peacefully is disrespecting law and order. How the hell does it make the slightest difference to law and order. It isn't looting. It isn't rioting. It isn't breaking the law. It isn't breaking order. Yeah if you are actively doing something do your job. Outside of that I see no issue with political expression.

People try and shut down peaceful protest and then wonder why things go violent.

This has nothing to do with law and order and you know it. This is the police setting up us and them lines instead of listening to the community.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yes, because God forbid any police officer has the temerity to think that showing solidarity with the community they are policing is any way to maintain law and order. History has shown that the only effective way to police a community is oppression - works 100% of the time so it does. Oh wait...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

I'd view it as another case of potentially good cops being sh!t on because they haven't got the backs of their boys in blue.
    I've seen videos of cops dancing/dance offs with protesters, looking at things through the lense of law and order is very narrow.
    Who is in the bracket of disrespecting law and order in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Personally I think no matter what the protest is police should not take part while they are working ,

In there off time if they want to peacefully protest then fine but on the job they should remain impartial and do what they are paid to do ,

What if some kneel and some don't it creates a look of division with in the force,

Just do your job and on your off time you can air your social or political views

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Yes, because God forbid any police officer has the temerity to think that showing solidarity with the community they are policing is any way to maintain law and order. History has shown that the only effective way to police a community is oppression - works 100% of the time so it does. Oh wait...

Can there not be middle ground ?
    Just because the police stand does not mean they oppose the protest or are against it ,It just means there doing there job ,,

Just because the police stand does not mean they oppose the protest or are against it ,It just means there doing there job ,,

Sure but what if a police officer wants to go the extra mile and show support. Should the police union be banning that. How does it disrespect the uniform which was the phrasing used?

I believe the middle ground in this is if cops want to take a kneel with protesters they should have that choice and not be facing sanctions either from protesters or the police union.

• Advertisement

Sure but what if a police officer wants to go the extra mile and show support. Should the police union be banning that. How does it disrespect the uniform which was the phrasing used?

Firstly I never said it agree with the term disrespecting the uniform ?
    I think that's grand standing but I think Police should be impartial while on duty ,
    I don't think they should take side no matter what the protest is while on duty ,

If he wants to go the extra mile then do so while off Duty ,

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Some of you haven't a clue.....

It's not the wild west.....protocols, rules, procedures, standards have to be set and adhered to

They are the cops.....they are not there to kneel and mix and show any support

They are there to do a job; probably D most important job in all of society.

You cannot have a society where the police force can pick and chose how to do their job. They are supposed to be above the politics feel here.

And what about large sections of society that don't agree with the protests and marches? Shouldn't the cops also support this section?

Or what about the cops that don't agree with the protesting?....the cops need to be all together, as one. Working together for ALL people....working, not getting involved in this nonsense kneeling.

The cops are for ALL the people, hence they need to stfu and do their job for all of the people...that job is not to be mickey mouse kneeling with protesters.

I believe the middle ground in this is if cops want to take a kneel with protesters they should have that choice and not be facing sanctions either from protesters or the police union.

Yesterday while speaking about the incident with the 75 year old you where banging on about how the police should have been more professional and follow procedure,

So would it not be the same with this ? While in uniform leave you political and social views to one side and do you job , When you clock out your free to protest like everyone else,

Its not disrespecting the uniform its just unprofessional

Choice... Arrest or Push a protester who walked up to them, obstructed them in their line of work..

Firstly I never said it agree with the term disrespecting the uniform ?
    I think that's grand standing but I think Police should be impartial while on duty ,
    I don't think they should take side no matter what the protest is while on duty ,

If he wants to go the extra mile then do so while off Duty ,

Well disrespecting the unifrom is the only reason it is being banned. Should we fire that Chicago union boss who has fairly obviously taken a side while on duty?

Some of you haven't a clue.....

It's not the wild west.....protocols, rules, procedures, standards have to be set and adhered to

They are the cops.....they are not there to kneel and mix and show any support

They are there to do a job; probably D most important job in all of society.

You cannot have a society where the police force can pick and chose how to do their job. They are supposed to be above the politics feel here.

And what about large sections of society that don't agree with the protests and marches? Shouldn't the cops also support this section?

Or the cops that don't agree....the cops need to be all together, as one. Working together for ALL people....working, not getting involved in this nonsense kneeling.

The cops are for ALL the people, hence they need to stfu and do their job for all of the people...that job is not to be mickey mouse kneeling with protesters.

In essence your completely correct,
    Iv a feeling everyone actually agrees but they don't like how your delivering your stance,

Plus the world in general has this weirdness going on where they think because they disagreed with you on one thing (the 75 year old man incident) they then MUST disagree with everything you say even if it makes sense,

Its like with Trump because he says some stupid things then every single thing he says must be stupid when in reality that's not the case,

Well disrespecting the unifrom is the only reason it is being banned. Should we fire that Chicago union boss who has fairly obviously taken a side while on duty?

As I said multiple times I dolt agree with the why ( I think hes grand standing saying that's the reason ) but agree it should be banned,

Yesterday people where banging on about how the police should have been more professional in the 75 yearold incident
    Today the same people want the police to be unprofessional about something else,

Yesterday while speaking about the incident with the 75 year old you where banging on about how the police should have been more professional and follow procedure,

So would it not be the same with this ? While in uniform leave you political and social views to one side and do you job , When you clock out your free to protest like everyone else,

Its not disrespecting the uniform its just unprofessional

Now you want the police to act professionally, you defended them to the hilt, but now you want them to be professional.
    You may see this as me picking and choosing, you are also doing the same thing.

Now you want the police to act professionally, you defended them to the hilt, but now you want them to be professional.
    You may see this as me picking and choosing, you are also doing the same thing.

I could say the same to you ?

The situation was sticky because he had right to assembly but the police also had the right to move him to a safer spot,

I still think the police man who pushed the old man was giving him a chance to leave, it was unfortunate the he fell over ,

Again im all for police having the right to protest but just not on the job surely you can see that fair ?

• Advertisement

Here something you have to ask yourself ,
    Would you be happy with police protesting on the job for something you DO NOT agree with ?

Just for the record I agree with the peaceful protest here just not with police on duty joining in ,

Deescalation is a huge tool in the police forces bag, why not use it? It can be used as a tactic in this instance of taking a kneel.. I think it was "a thing" early on in these protests, I don't see it being a big issue going forward. I think it's wrong to have repercussions if you do.
    The knee represents police brutality, I think everyone is against that???

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

In essence your completely correct,
    Iv a feeling everyone actually agrees but they don't like how your delivering your stance

Nah, I don't agree.

Apparently in your rush to denounce kneeling you have bypassed the fact that it was the head of the police union who stated this and it is in fact him who is making it a political point. It is not someone in any authority position. So presumably you will change your mind and agree that he should keep his mouth shut and let the chain of command agree the best way to police their communities? Seeing as discipline is so important?

Deescalation is a huge tool in the police forces bag, why not use it? It can be used as a tactic in this instance of taking a kneel.. I think it was "a thing" early on in these protests, I don't see it being a big issue going forward. I think it's wrong to have repercussions if you do.
    The knee represents police brutality, I think everyone is against that???

Again I think your opening a can of worms if you let police picks side on protest and social issues as a whole force,

I understand what your saying and that it can have a good effect but what happens if the police pick a side in something you and the general public don't agree with ,The it could cause mayhem ,

I just think its best in the long term for police to remain impartial while on duty,

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Now we have the police saying they will punish those their own for peaceful protest. What message do people think this screams out to black people in the US?
    They can protest on their own time.
    Uniformed personnel should not show political allegiance to anything.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Nah, I don't agree.

Apparently in your rush to denounce kneeling you have bypassed the fact that it was the head of the police union who stated this and it is in fact him who is making it a political point. It is not someone in any authority position. So presumably you will change your mind and agree that he should keep his mouth shut and let the chain of command agree the best way to police their communities? Seeing as discipline is so important?

Iv said multiply time I do not agree with his "WHY"

I could say the same to you ?

The situation was sticky because he had right to assembly but the police also had the right to move him to a safer spot,

I still think the police man who pushed the old man was giving him a chance to leave, it was unfortunate the he fell over ,

Again im all for police having the right to protest but just not on the job surely you can see that fair ?

Obstruction of a police officer carrying out their duty is a crime? You keep repeating the "giving him a chance to move" because he was respecting his right to protest, those rights to protest are removed when they're told to clear the area, there is protocols in place, they give out verbal warnings to clear the area, anyone still there has choosen to forgo their chance to move, and when you walk up them you're obstructing them.

I forgot, they had the choice to either arrest him or push him. And everyone here has the right to think of nonsense excuses to think of ways to justify the stupidity shown to them on camera by cops yet again.

Iv said multiply time I do not agree with his "WHY"

He shouldn't be saying anything on the matter full stop, it is not his place.

There is no indication that police officers kneeling are even protesting. It can simply be an act of solidarity and to show that they understand where the protesters are coming from. This can do wonders to foster an environment where it is not us v them. i.e., good, proper policing.

• Advertisement

The kneeling represents police brutality?

When did police brutality become a political "side"?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement