Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Podge_irl wrote: »
    He shouldn't be saying anything on the matter full stop, it is not his place.

There is no indication that police officers kneeling are even protesting. It can simply be an act of solidarity and to show that they understand where the protesters are coming from. This can do wonders to foster an environment where it is not us v them. i.e., good, proper policing.

I never said he should , I never even mentioned him ,

All I said is I personal don't think Police should kneel on the job ,

Obstruction of a police officer carrying out their duty is a crime? You keep repeating the "giving him a chance to move" because he was respecting his right to protest, those rights to protest are removed when they're told to clear the area, there is protocols in place, they give out verbal warnings to clear the area, anyone still there has choosen to forgo their chance to move, and when you walk up them you're obstructing them.

I forgot, they had the choice to either arrest him or push him. And everyone here has the right to think of nonsense excuses to think of ways to justify the stupidity shown to them on camera by cops yet again.

100s if not thousands of protesters all over the world have got push from police in the last week or so and no ones bated an eyelid , unfortunately the 75 year old fell over and banged his head,

It is what it is ,i think it was totally blown out of proportion but you have your view which is fair enough ,

Its over with so move on with your life ,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Why?

The police are not moving out of line popping in among the protesters, kneeling and shouting "defund the police".

The police in Camden NJ who knelt with protesters were not, themselves, protesting. It was a way of indicating they were listening to and open to the protesters and were not "the enemy". It is good community policing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

100s if not thousands of protesters all over the world have got push from police in the last week or so and no ones bated an eyelid , unfortunately the 75 year old fell over and banged his head

I think you'll find that the police's general behaviour has been the entire point of the protests and their over-aggression and escalating of scenarios has very much been part of the conversation.

Unsurprisingly, particularly egregious scenarios are used to highlight the systemic issues.

The kneeling represents police brutality?

When did police brutality become a political "side"?

Ok lets me try and make this simple for you and give you an example closer to home ,so you might understand my stance,

Say during the "repeal the 8th " movement here in Ireland ,

Would you be happy if Garda on duty in uniform joined the side who where against it and while in uniform joined in with them waving placards and what not ?

There would be absolute murder , boards and twitter would break , Joe Duffy's ear drums would explode .

Just because you agree with a movement does not make it right for the Police to join in they should remain impartial while on duty its just being professional ,

( for the record I voted to repeal Before you start)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Kneeling is perfectly acceptable, as long as there is someones neck below it.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Why?

The police are not moving out of line popping in among the protesters, kneeling and shouting "defund the police".

The police in Camden NJ who knelt with protesters were not, themselves, protesting. It was a way of indicating they were listening to and open to the protesters and were not "the enemy". It is good community policing.

Look your not going to change my opinion
    It opens a can of worms for police to be allowed show there social and political views while on duty ,

Its not rocket science to see problems it can cause in the future ,

Police on his free time can go into the community and explain his own thought s

joe40 wrote: »
    Kneeling is perfectly acceptable, as long as there is someones neck below it.

No its not ,
    In what world would you correlate me saying police should remain impartial on Duty to its ok to kill someone ?

Are you 6 ? Have you fallen over recently ? do you need a nap ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Ok lets me try and make this simple for you and give you an example closer to home ,so you might understand my stance,

Say during the "repeal the 8th " movement here in Ireland ,

Would you be happy if Garda on duty in uniform joined the side who where against it and while in uniform joined in with them waving placards and what not ?

There would be absolute murder , boards and twitter would break , Joe Duffy's ear drums would explode .

Just because you agree with a movement does not make it right for the Police to join in they should remain impartial while on duty its just being professional ,

( for the record I voted to repeal Before you start)

Such condescending bullsh!t. I couldn't give a sh!t what way you voted.

I forgot, you have the choice to support police brutality, let's talk about George Floyd's past, we need to justify the brutality.

Such condescending bullsh!t. I couldn't give a sh!t what way you voted.

I forgot, you have the choice to support police brutality, let's talk about George Floyd's past, we need to justify the brutality.

What's Geroge Flyod's past got to do with anything ?

My opinion Police should remain impartial have good day sir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Christy42

biko wrote: »
    They can protest on their own time.
    Uniformed personnel should not show political allegiance to anything.

So you agree the police union boss in Chicago should get fired?

Those colours were fairly well planted to the mast there. This has nothing to do with unprofessional or not showing allegiance.

What's Geroge Flyod's past got to do with anything ?

My opinion Police should remain impartial have good day sir

"Ok lets me try and make this simple for you and give you an example closer to home ,so you might understand my stance,"

I'll not be making it any clearer. enjoy your Friday.

No its not ,
    In what world would you correlate me saying police should remain impartial on Duty to its ok to kill someone ?

Are you 6 ? Have you fallen over recently ? do you need a nap ?

No I'm neither of those things. But you're right falling over can be very dangerous and cause brain injury. Should be avoided.

To be serious I actually don't have a problem with police "not kneeling" In the absence of reform it could be taken as empty tokenism.
    The worrying thing for me is that it shows the unaccountable power of the police unions have It wasn't the police dept chiefs giving that order it was a union threatening expulsion from the lodge.
    The unions are political and they obviously have power over officers that is not a good model of policing.

Christy42 wrote: »
    So you agree the police union boss in Chicago should get fired?

Those colours were fairly well planted to the mast there. This has nothing to do with unprofessional or not showing allegiance.

Is the police Union boss a government job ?

joe40 wrote: »
    No I'm neither of those things. But you're right falling over can be very dangerous and cause brain injury. Should be avoided.

To be serious I actually don't have a problem with police "not kneeling" In the absence of reform it could be taken as empty tokenism.
    The worrying thing for me is that it shows the unaccountable power of the police unions have It wasn't the police dept chiefs giving that order it was a union threatening expulsion from the lodge.
    The unions are political and they obviously have power over officers that is not a good model of policing.

Multiple occasion iv said I don't agree with the Union boss ,

I just personal believe any police force should always remain impartial while on duty and just do there job ,

Multiple occasion iv said I don't agree with the Union boss ,

I just personal believe any police force should always remain impartial while on duty and just do there job ,

Fair enough.

Is the police Union boss a government job ?

They are police are they not? So what scenario do we have here. The rank and file can't show political allegiance but their higher ups can? That seems like a ridiculous system.

They are police are they not? So what scenario do we have here. The rank and file can't show political allegiance but their higher ups can? That seems like a ridiculous system.

Iv countless times said I don't agree with what he has said

I was asking you a serious question , I have no idea how they employ the Union boss, I thought it could be a retired cop ,i'm not going to pretend I know something I don't ,so I asked a question

Iv countless times said I don't agree with what he has said

I was asking you a serious question , I have no idea how they employ the Union boss, I thought it could be a retired cop ,

AFAIK it is a police officer elected by union members and payed by union fees so technically not government employed but payed only by government funds since the fees will be a tax on officers in effect.

Fair enough. Hopefully he retracts the statements soon but unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

The kneeling represents police brutality?

When did police brutality become a political "side"?

When it started being framed as 'systemic racism' that's exactly the point when it became political.

• Advertisement

AFAIK it is a police officer elected by union members and payed by union fees so technically not government employed but payed only by government funds since the fees will be a tax on officers in effect.

That's what I thought but wasn't 100% sure
    So they are not actually on the government payroll in that positon ,

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

huh? union dues are paid by its members. nothing to do with the government. it is not a tax

huh? union dues are paid by its members. nothing to do with the government. it is not a tax

With that being the case how could anyone but the union members ask for him to resign ? Have they asked called for it

Again I don not agree with him ,

2u2me wrote: »
    When it started being framed as 'systemic racism' that's exactly the point when it became political.

The over arching point of taking the kneel is about police brutality and wanting change.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

With that being the case how could anyone but the union members ask for him to resign ? Have they asked called for it

Again I don not agree with him ,

anybody can ask anybody to resign. only the members have the power to make it happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

The over arching point of taking the kneel is about police brutality and wanting change.

[insert your own meaning here]

https://twitter.com/EricRWeinstein/status/1268111914921426945

The infamous photo OP, all the boys getting sued.

"A group of three plaintiffs is suing President Donald Trump, Attorney General William Barr, Defense Secretary Mark Esper, D.C. National Guard Commanding General William Walker, U.S. Park Police Acting Chief Gregory Monahan, and Secret Service Director James Murray for actions taken by law enforcement on June 1 to remove protesters from Lafayette Park outside of the White House."

https://lawandcrime.com/lawsuit/lafayette-park-protesters-sue-trump-barr-esper-and-other-officials-for-violent-attack-near-white-house/?utm_source=mostpopular

It isn't a tax but it is a mandatory deductionsolely from government payroll. So it as close as you can get.

In any case I absolutely disagree with his notion that he can declare a political view and fire rank and file police officers for doing the same thing.

It also sends out a very unhelpful message that the police are against the community (from the phrasing he used).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Looks like the football hooligans will be the police this weekend.

https://twitter.com/DailyMailUK/status/1271113734036033536?s=19

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement