Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

joe40 wrote: »
    "I'm white I would expect to be treated unfairly in a black majority country, it's only fcuking common sense"

At last, a poster who understands. America is a white majority country so blacks should expect to be treated unfairly.

As he put it himself

"It's only fcuking common sense"

White folk are a few decades away from losing their majority status in the Us.

Hopefully when the time comes it sparks a revolution

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

White folk are a few decades away from losing their majority status in the Us.

Hopefully when the time comes it sparks a revolution

Would that be a peaceful revolution you're advocating.

What sort of methods should be employed?

No peace.

A/
    By that stage the Us wont be worlds most powerful economy anymore due to never ending race riots and division which will economically destroy the country and the soul of its people.

China will have overtaken them and in time the Asians will re enslave Africa (economically) as they take over the planet using their belt and road initiative to gain a foothold and become a dominant force.

Europe will become fractured under the strain of immigration both climate and economic . Poor overall global economic stability will add to the division and the EU will collapse.

B/
    Either that or the riots will be forgotten about in a few weeks just like the vast vast majority in history with the subject being irrelevant but the result the same = when it comes to it people don't actually really care. Its called hysteria and it too will fade

In that case nothing actually comes of it. My money is on option b. Its dropping out of the news already. 2 more weeks and there won't be mention of it again

• Registered Users Posts: 55,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Overheal wrote: »
    Robert Fuller, found earlier today hanging dead from a tree in Palmdale CA. A full investigation is underway to determine if it was suicide or a lynching. Officials are leaning toward the former.

https://twitter.com/whas11/status/1271643899052863495?s=21

If the former, then the U.S. is really fooked..

Nothing really new in this saga but I just thought I would share this article. Sums up a lot of the problems with American policing at the moment. The city in question is small even by Irish standards.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/13/vallejo-california-police-violence-sean-monterrosa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,047 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

walshb wrote: »

Police said no camera footage. Numerous camera's on various stores , all pointing towards area.

https://twitter.com/KimKardashian/status/1271559605773049858

https://twitter.com/Yg_Trece/status/1271633845448658944

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Nothing really new in this saga but I just thought I would share this article. Sums up a lot of the problems with American policing at the moment. The city in question is small even by Irish standards.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/13/vallejo-california-police-violence-sean-monterrosa

Nothing new is right.

From Wikipedia:
    Vallejo was named the most diverse city in the United States in a 2012 study by Brown University based on 2010 census data,[16][17] and the most diverse city in the state of California by a Niche study based on 2017 American Community Survey data.[18]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vallejo,_California#Demographics

Diversity = Crime? It seems that way.

The crime rate is about 1.8 times higher than the US average.
    http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Vallejo-California.html

However, if the police are using heavier tactics, it's working, with crime down since 2006 overall, and murder well down after a peak in 2013.
    https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/us/ca/vallejo/murder-homicide-rate-statistics

It's best to keep this in mind when they talk of bringing you diversity. It's not for your benefit.

Nothing new is right.

From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vallejo,_California#Demographics

Diversity = Crime? It seems that way.

The crime rate is about 1.8 times higher than the US average.
    http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Vallejo-California.html

However, if the police are using heavier tactics, it's working, with crime down since 2006 overall, and murder well down after a peak in 2013.
    https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/us/ca/vallejo/murder-homicide-rate-statistics

It's best to keep this in mind when they talk of bringing you diversity. It's not for your benefit.

Did you actually read the article. The police are costing a fortune in payouts.
    You obviously disagree with diversity fine, but what is the alternative.

Peaceful like Seattle where protesters are walking around with AK47's ?
    Peaceful like Seattle where anarchists have blockaded 6 city blocks ?
    Peaceful like Seattle according to the Black head of police where there is multiple rapes happening in this new zone which they can no longer access ?
    Peaceful like Minnesota where protesters burned down or damaged over 500 buildings ?
    Peaceful like New York where protesters injured hundreds of police who are doing their jobs ?

This BLM grouping are about as violent as it can get without full insurrection. They certainly aren't peaceful.

Peaceful like Seattle according to the Black head of police where there is multiple rapes happening in this new zone which they can no longer access ?
    Peaceful like Minnesota where protesters burned down or damaged over 500 buildings ?
    Peaceful like New York where protesters injured hundreds of police who are doing their jobs ?

This BLM grouping are about as violent as it can get without full insurrection. They certainly aren't peaceful.

I wasn't talking about BLM.

The poster said that in a few decades whites would not be the majority.
    He said he hoped this would "spark a revolution"

I was just wondering what type of revolution he would like to see.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Haven't followed any news related to this in a few days and now I see part of Seattle is under control from insurgents?

When exactly is the military going to go in and wipe them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Bold Abdu

walshb wrote: »

Only if he was lynched by white men. If by black men or by Mexican men - we'll have to wait for the next outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭Odhinn

No peace.

A/
    By that stage the Us wont be (.................) 2 more weeks and there won't be mention of it again

Rioting and inter-communal violence is nothing new to the US. Far worse has gone on in the past. The current outbreak may or may not usher in some changes, but either way it won't be the end of America.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Did you actually read the article. The police are costing a fortune in payouts.
    You obviously disagree with diversity fine, but what is the alternative.

$7 million in payouts. That would have to be put in context. For all I know that could be cheaper than police reform.

In any case, it seems the city is in a bad way financially.
    Vallejo’s shipyard closed in 1996, and the area struggled in the following years. In 2008, amid the national foreclosure crisis, the city declared bankruptcy, forcing the police department to reduce its force from 126 officers to 77.

What's the alternative? Probably nothing, but further decay.

On the subject of revolution, I'd also be interested to find what kind of revolution could happen in the US. I can't see any sign of revolt from white America. They just seem to be waddling their way to becoming a detested minority. Events of the last two weeks just seem like an acceleration of the process, to be followed by a period of calm, and further accelerated outbursts every few years.

Odhinn wrote: »
    Rioting and inter-communal violence is nothing new to the US. Far worse has gone on in the past. The current outbreak may or may not usher in some changes, but either way it won't be the end of America.

That would be scenario b then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Bold Abdu wrote: »
    Only if he was lynched by white men. If by black men or by Mexican men - we'll have to wait for the next outrage.

Lynching has now been redefined to include a bruise. I posted about it back a while ago here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭Odhinn

That would be scenario b then

Yep, essentially.

Counter protesters "clashing with police " in London today. The Churchill statue being vandalised apparently lit the fuse.
    Let's see how the media reports on this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

how dare you post something that might not suit the agenda, you might get personally attacked for this

• Registered Users Posts: 21,600 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Counter protesters "clashing with police " in London today. The Churchill statue being vandalised apparently lit the fuse.

Are these the counter protesters who are giving Nazi salutes while defending the statue of someone who helped defeat the Nazi's?

How to you explain that line of thinking?

• Advertisement

Do you see the dichotomy between outlining the above as being representative of an entire movement while simultaneously arguing that police activities are not unacceptable, are not partly responsible for provoking the above and are only carried out by a small proportion?

I am living in a US city and every evening there are hundreds of small demonstration throughout the city and the suburbs in support of the BLM central principles. And I'll tell you how violent most of these are, they don't even have police in attendance. There is no need.

I'm not making excuses for anyone committing acts of violence or looting, they are unacceptable in my view, even though I can understand why it has gotten to this.

What you have listed above, is unacceptable, but is not representative of the entire movement.

Would you have accepted that because there were some people protesting against the lockdown by walking around with AK47's and some occupied a statehouse that that implies that entire anti-lockdown movement was a violent one?

Finally, I'll probably see you or someone else say that the police actions are not representative of the entire movement either and to that I will say two things.
    1, they are representative enough that, as you can see, there are examples from most cities in the country, and;
    2, The police are paid to be professional, and to protect, they should absolutely be held to a higher account because of the role they play in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Bold Abdu wrote: »

Black are killed frequently by other blacks.
    white are killed frequently by other whites.
    Mexicans are killed frequently by other Mexicans.

None of this should be seen as acceptable, but, if you cannot see the difference between the implication of whether someone was killed because of an argument, a debt, gang war or whatever as opposed than if they had been killed simply because of their race then you really don't understand what is going on.

No violence or murder should be tolerated, but the vast majority of people protesting are doing so because of the systemic biased approach many government organisations have towards a particular group in society simply because of their skin colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

Serious trouble incoming

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Its madness

People trying to keep the statue safe are fighting with people who want to keep the statue safe ,

While the people who want the wreck the statue are off having lunch somewhere and are no where to be seen :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

How many truly decent people are taking place in these protests ?

I imagine its none or at best very very very low numbers.
    You see most normal decent rational people would be long gone when things get messy or violent.
    Most normal decent people heed police warnings and do the right thing.

so forgive me if I have zero sympathy for anyone be they black white, green or blue, male or female who get hurt whilst breaking the law

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

It's very hard to take the BLM movement seriously when you've 90 people shot in chicago in one weekend , they keep very quiet on black on black crime and yet when a white cop kills one , wrongly I might add, all hell breaks loose

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-violence-crime-fatal-shooting-shootings/6224654/

How many truly decent people are taking place in these protests ?

I imagine its none or at best very very very low numbers.
    You see most normal decent rational people would be long gone when things get messy or violent.
    Most normal decent people heed police warnings and do the right thing.

so forgive me if I have zero sympathy for anyone be they black white, green or blue, male or female who get hurt whilst breaking the law

Again, my experience, in a US city is that those committing violence is in the single digits percentage wise, and in a fraction of 1% in most places if not actually a flat zero.

For example, in one location,
    In Huntington Beach, about 500 people were gathered at Pacific Coast Highway and Main Street at 2 p.m. Saturday, said Officer Angela Bennett, a spokeswoman for the Huntington Beach Police Department.

Two groups of protesters had faced off and officers were standing between them, Bennett said. One group appeared to be affiliated with black lives matter, Bennett said.

She could not describe the affiliation of the other group, but video from the scene showed multiple people waving American flags and wearing Trump apparel.Four people had been arrested by Saturday afternoon, though information on the charges was not immediately available.

4 arrests out of 500 people = 0.8%

If you think that that is impossible, just how much damage do you think say, 5000 people could do if the were truly motivated to be violent? It would make the damage done so far seem like a single trash can knocked over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

These would be the type of people who smashed up Landsdowne Road

• Advertisement

It's very hard to take the BLM movement seriously when you've 90 people shot in chicago in one weekend , they keep very quiet on black on black crime and yet when a white cop kills one , wrongly I might add, all hell breaks loose

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-violence-crime-fatal-shooting-shootings/6224654/

Again for those who can't get it.

Systemic oppression by those assigned to protect versus individual law breaking participants.

How many times do you see protests organised against private individuals?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement