Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Again, my experience, in a US city is that those committing violence is in the single digits percentage wise, and in a fraction of 1% in most places if not actually a flat zero.

For example, in one location,

4 arrests out of 500 people = 0.8%

If you think that that is impossible, just how much damage do you think say, 5000 people could do if the were truly motivated to be violent? It would make the damage done so far seem like a single trash can knocked over.

And ?

whats that go to do with me not giving a damn about people breaking the law ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Again for those who can't get it.

Systemic oppression by those assigned to protect versus individual law breaking participants.

How many times do you see protests organised against private individuals?

If it's systemic oppression how do they let minorities into police force ??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,600 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

And ?

whats that go to do with me not giving a damn about people breaking the law ?
    How many truly decent people are taking place in these protests ?

I imagine its none or at best very very very low numbers.

You were obviously wrong.

If it's systemic oppression how do they let minorities into police force ??

Systemic
    adjective
    relating to a system, especially as opposed to a particular part

You were obviously wrong.

Really

Where is your proof to back up this up.

Show me your data to prove I am wrong......if you cannot then you are just making bold state statement based on your opinion.

• Advertisement

Systemic
    adjective
    relating to a system, especially as opposed to a particular part

You'd a black president running the country for 8 years was he part of the problem as well ?

Really

Where is your proof to back up this up.

Show me your data to prove I am wrong......if you cannot then you are just making bold state statement based on your opinion.

JHC, I already posted a link showing just 0.8% arrests.

If 0.8% does not equate to 'very very very low' numbers in your book, I don't know what to tell you.

You'd a black president running the country for 8 years was he part of the problem as well ?

Why don't you tell us what you think?

I mean aside from the fact that he wasn't a police officer and again the point being made is about 'systemic' racism.

JHC, I already posted a link showing just 0.8% arrests.

If 0.8% does not equate to 'very very very low' numbers in your book, I don't know what to tell you.

I stated normal decent people are not involved in violent protests or breaking the law.,
    That is my opinion.

Your opinion is different obviously, but its just your opinion, its not a actual fact.

I would suggest the .8% that have been arrested are not decent law abiding citizens, but because only that many were arrested, does not mean the others are decent people.

To me decent people do not hassle the police doing a thankless job.
    Decent people do not riot not cause damage.
    Decent people would realize when things get messy or violent etc, they tend to clear off and have no part in things like that.

Why don't you tell us what you think?

I mean aside from the fact that he wasn't a police officer and again the point being made is about 'systemic' racism.

But you're the one saying it's systemic. If a black person can become a president , cop , army , nurse , doctor, judges, civil servant in America , how is it systemic ??? Or are they not black anymore once they become part of the system.

• Advertisement

But you're the one saying it's systemic. If a black person can become a president , cop , army , nurse , doctor, judges, civil servant in America , how is it systemic ??? Or are they not black anymore once they become part of the system.

Have you seen the film DiJango Unchained?

Using the rational you seem to be adhering to, Calvin J. Candie was not a racist because the head of his house staff, who had a position of authority, was a black man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

The auld racism must not exist in sports in the US considering it is dominated by black athletes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Using the rational you seem to be adhering to.

The ironing is off the charts.

I stated normal decent people are not involved in violent protests or breaking the law.,
    That is my opinion.

Your opinion is different obviously, but its just your opinion, its not a actual fact.

I would suggest the .8% that have been arrested are not decent law abiding citizens, but because only that many were arrested, does not mean the others are decent people.

To me decent people do not hassle the police doing a thankless job.
    Decent people do not riot not cause damage.
    Decent people would realize when things get messy or violent etc, they tend to clear off and have no part in things like that.

Why don't you give me some facts so that the the number of decent people protesting is in the 'very very very low numbers' as you stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Again for those who can't get it.

Systemic oppression by those assigned to protect versus individual law breaking participants.

How many times do you see protests organised against private individuals?

It’s attitudes like this and promotion like this that is dangerous, as well as completely untrue..

peddlelies wrote: »
    The auld racism must not exist in sports in the US considering it is dominated by black athletes.

I suspected, but didn't think you guys would make it so clearly obvious, that you do not understand what constitutes systemic racial bias or oppression.

walshb wrote: »
    It’s attitudes like this and promotion like this that is dangerous, as well as completely untrue..

Why then do you think so many white people are attending protests in cities worldwide?

Bizarre that you see highlighting an nonacceptance for systemic racism as being dangerous. Why is that?

Why don't you give me some facts so that the the number of decent people protesting is in the 'very very very low numbers' as you stated.

Are you so wound up and intent and arguing just for the sake of it you are completely ignoring what I actually wrote ?

I clearly stated it was my opinion....yes my opinion, that decent people are not involved in law breaking or violent protests. I have never claimed my opinion to be fact.

It is my opinion decent people tend to avoid conflict, and of course heed police warnings, and if only for their own safety avoid violent protests.

You see this is my opinion, one I am entitled to have,
    I suggest you read the posts you cannot wait to jump all over.

walshb wrote: »

indeed, and if you dare voice an opinion that does not suit their agenda you will be shouted down, your right to free speech is pounced upon.

Everything is black or white ( excuse the pun), god forbid there might be a thousand shades of grey.

Are you so wound up and intent and arguing just for the sake of it you are completely ignoring what I actually wrote ?

I clearly stated it was my opinion....yes my opinion, that decent people are not involved in law breaking or violent protests. I have never claimed my opinion to be fact.

It is my opinion decent people tend to avoid conflict, and of course heed police warnings, and if only for their own safety avoid violent protests.

You see this is my opinion, one I am entitled to have,
    I suggest you read the posts you cannot wait to jump all over.

Which you obviously now realise is baseless. Carry on.

• Advertisement

Ye you've LeBron James talking about equality while getting paid hundreds of millions from Nike . The people who make the clothes in sweat shops in Asia get paid peanuts . Some man for the equality .

indeed, and if you dare voice an opinion that does not suit their agenda you will be shouted down, your right to free speech is pounced upon.

Everything is black or white ( excuse the pun), god forbid there might be a thousand shades of grey.

Why don't all these people just agree with me!!!!

I mean, I know it's a discussion forum but I wish they wouldn't keep pointing out the inaccuracies in what I am saying.

They're just so biased and fake. It's really fake news.

Sound familiar?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Brilliant.
    RasTa wrote: »
    These would be the type of people who smashed up Landsdowne Road

Britain First and the like? Absolutely. They are showing who the real thugs are in London at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Listen to this US general speaking. He is part of the establishment, very much so but just listen with an open mind what he has to say.

I'm not saying all black people are good or great. Many are violent criminals, as are many Irish people. We all remember Drogheda feud.

Just listen to the full video, if you think he's talking crap fair enough but at least listen
    I

https://youtu.be/brQLhb_4fqs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Did he spit in her face?

Ye you've LeBron James talking about equality while getting paid hundreds of millions from Nike . The people who make the clothes in sweat shops in Asia get paid peanuts . Some man for the equality .

As you know, Lebron is getting paid by Nike because they are profiting from being associated with him.

Is he responsible for everything they do? Should he ignore the capacity he has to make money because of who the company is? Ivanka Trump had a product line which was manufactured in China. she actually had a direct choice in where her clothing was manufactured. What are your thoughts on that?

Wouldn't be the first time there was a hypocritical view in relation to Lebron.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1268389771820204034

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

That is mental

Using the rational you seem to be adhering to, Calvin J. Candie was not a racist because the head of his house staff, who had a position of authority, was a black man.

You said it's systemic , I showed you it not, are they're racist in the police , I'd say yes . Is the whole police force racist , no they're not. Cops kill more whites than blacks every year. There's 700, 000 cops in the states , there's bound to be few bad eggs . Now if minorities couldn't join the police I'd say that racist , but they can so it's not .

• Advertisement

You said it's systemic , I showed you it not, are they're racist in the police , I'd say yes . Is the whole police force racist , no they're not. Cops kill more whites than blacks every year. There's 700, 000 cops in the states , there's bound to be few bad eggs . Now if minorities couldn't join the police I'd say that racist , but they can so it's not .

If you think that the only measure on whether or not an organisation is racist or not, particularly one in which it's sole duties is engaging with the communities in which it works then you have no idea what you are talking about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement