Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Brilliant.

Britain First and the like? Absolutely. They are showing who the real thugs are in London at the minute.

BLM and the antifa crowd injured 31 police officers.
    Let's not forget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

I suspected, but didn't think you guys would make it so clearly obvious, that you do not understand what constitutes systemic racial bias or oppression.

Define it then, a clear precise definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

If you think that the only measure on whether or not an organisation is racist or not, particularly one in which it's sole duties is engaging with the communities in which it works then you have no idea what you are talking about.

Just out of curiosity do you think everything that's happening in the black community is the white man fault

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Which you obviously now realise is baseless. Carry on.

and your opinion is not ?

I love how people like you imagine your opinion somehow trumps others.

Tell me do you think then that decent people are involved in the rioting and law breaking actions then since you do not agree with me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,597 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Just out of curiosity do you think everything that's happening in the black community is the white man fault

Absolutely not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

RasTa wrote: »

These lads are out, not because of any beliefs they hold but to cause trouble and behave like the scum they are.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1271809857507770376

Absolutely not.
    So we actually agreed on something

and your opinion is not ?

I love how people like you imagine your opinion somehow trumps others.

Tell me do you think then that decent people are involved in the rioting and law breaking actions then since you do not agree with me ?

My opinion was to show evidence that where 0.8% of attendees at a protest were arrested then the numbers attending who were peaceful was most definitely not in the 'very very very low numbers'.

My opinion is based on being in a city in which hundreds of protests have taken place with zero violence or arrests which also shows that the numbers attending who were peaceful was most definitely not in the 'very very very low numbers'.

By all means, show us the evidence which helped you to form, and persist with the view that most protesters are violently motivated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

These lads are out, not because of any beliefs they hold but to cause trouble and behave like the scum they are.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1271809857507770376

Nice to see combat 18 still in business.christ almighty

Why don't all these people just agree with me!!!!

I mean, I know it's a discussion forum but I wish they wouldn't keep pointing out the inaccuracies in what I am saying.

They're just so biased and fake. It's really fake news.

Sound familiar?

I have absolutely no care if you agree with me or not.
    My opinion is my opinion and it wont be swayed by you or people like you who will try force their opinion upon others.

It is your right to have a different one to mine, but to think your have some authority when it comes to opinion is not only stupid but arrogant.

Maybe i view things different and have more faith in decent people avoiding hassle, conflict and then having respect for the law, which means they avoid all the trouble.

If you believe all these issues happening, the violence, etc are being attended by decent people, then carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,598 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If you think that the only measure on whether or not an organisation is racist or not, particularly one in which it's sole duties is engaging with the communities in which it works then you have no idea what you are talking about.

You are living in cloud cuckoo land..

Racism exists everywhere on earth. It’s part of people. Always has been and always will be

Your peddling this systemic racism angle is utter nonsense. And it is part of why there are such issues amongst people..

Everyone is capable of racism. It’s not just a cop thing. Everyone and every body and every walk of life..

All this violent reaction that is being directly and indirectly condoned is the reason that racism will be fuelled even more, not less; because people are throwing petrol onto a fire can never be extinguished. Instead of containing the fire and managing the fire and living with the fire, they are stoking it, antagonising it and baiting it..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,681 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

peddlelies wrote: »
    Define it then, a clear precise definition.

Ha, clear precise definition... this isn't a simple maths equation you know, some issues require an awful lot more information and study than a single simple line.

But there have been dozens upon dozens of fantastically well researched papers properly delving into the subject - which is the only way it should be done, and the only way someone should seek clarity on their own position if they're serious about learning.

https://www.sagepub.com/sites/default/files/upm-binaries/46946_CH_3.pdf

https://www.vera.org/downloads/publications/for-the-record-unjust-burden-racial-disparities.pdf

https://www.asanet.org/sites/default/files/savvy/images/press/docs/pdf/ASARaceCrime.pdf

On the subject of systemic racism within the US - think of it this way. For 400 years, all of their systems and structures were predicted upon the legal belief and firm position that Black people were subhuman, and did not deserve the same rights as others. This was enshrined in law. It was built into every single system in society, from who could own property, to who could vote, to what bathroom you could use. So that's 400+ years of this. Now, for just the past 52 years, Black people theoretically have equal rights. Do you think it's plausible, or likely, that every piece of systemic behavior has been successfully overhauled in that time? Keep in mind that this is a country that only even managed to introduce chip & pin decades after us. This country moves sloooooow, especially when it comes to standards and regulations and behaviours and mindsets.

RasTa wrote: »

There's clowns on both sides, evidently if the police done their job and protected the statues , I'm not talking about the slave owner statues , I'm talking about Winston Churchill and the centotaph to their world war dead which were vandalised last week , you wouldn't have had the knuckledraggers coming out looking to cause trouble .

So we actually agreed on something

I can go further, there are people within every community who have a proclivity to be racist or violent.

But, there are many who are shaped by the society in which they have lived or currently live or where they work.

Because of the history of the US in terms of dominance of white people and the subjugation of black people, and the fact that lived experiences cannot be changed overnight, many still hold views which originated in a time where communities, and bodies were segregated.

If you were a cop (white or black) who came in to a precinct and were told that when you travel to a particular part of town that you need to have your gun holster open and your baton ready then you might not know that that view originated from racial bias and judgement which has as a result led to the self perpetuation of the belief that people in that community needed to be treated differently.

I do agree that there is also reflected in social/class dynamics as well and that that as a whole is why people are protesting widely. The BLM heading has grown because of the stories documented but the vast majority of people protesting are protesting against any inherent bias by police against a particular sector of society.

But I can understand why the focus is currently on BLM because they have suffered to a greater degree for a greater amount of time and if they feel that police change is only going to be justified because it could be seen as also affecting white people then it will enforce their concerns that this was not really a problem until white people felt it needed to be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,765 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You'd a black president running the country for 8 years was he part of the problem as well ?

He just shows the ceiling for blacks is quite high

The floor is still tremendously low

walshb wrote: »

Racism exists everywhere on earth. It’s part of people. Always has been and always will be

Your peddling this systemic racism angle is utter nonsense. And it is part of why there are such issues amongst people..

Everyone is capable of racism. It’s not just a cop thing. Everyone and every body and every walk of life..

All this violent reaction that is being directly and indirectly condoned is the reason that racism will be fuelled even more, not less; because people are throwing petrol onto a fire can never be extinguished. Instead of containing the fire and managing the fire and living with the fire, they are stoking it, antagonising it and baiting it..

correct.
    No law, no pc brigade, no state ruling, no seminar at work places will rid the world of racism, sadly it will always exist.

Yes it would be wonderful if it went away, but we are fooling ourselves if we are to be naive.
    Then we have certain groups that would have you believe racism is epidemic amongst only white people, the more that racist minority of white people will rebel, and make the situation worse.

Are you so wound up and intent and arguing just for the sake of it you are completely ignoring what I actually wrote ?

I clearly stated it was my opinion....yes my opinion, that decent people are not involved in law breaking or violent protests. I have never claimed my opinion to be fact.

It is my opinion decent people tend to avoid conflict, and of course heed police warnings, and if only for their own safety avoid violent protests.

You see this is my opinion, one I am entitled to have,
    I suggest you read the posts you cannot wait to jump all over.

Well enjoy your wholesale unqualified opinion then

I have absolutely no care if you agree with me or not.
    My opinion is my opinion and it wont be swayed by you or people like you who will try force their opinion upon others.

It is your right to have a different one to mine, but to think your have some authority when it comes to opinion is not only stupid but arrogant.

Maybe i view things different and have more faith in decent people avoiding hassle, conflict and then having respect for the law, which means they avoid all the trouble.

If you believe all these issues happening, the violence, etc are being attended by decent people, then carry on.

Wow.
    For someone to admit that they will ignore evidence someone has offered, cannot offer any of their own and thinks that both these are valid reasons by which too maintain their view then there really is little point in talking to them.

I'm not surprised, just didn't think they would lay it out so bluntly and obviously.

peddlelies wrote: »
    The auld racism must not exist in sports in the US considering it is dominated by black athletes.

And dominated by white owners who have, in the very recent past, barred their players from peaceful protest of police brutality and implicit bias issues.

Hmm.

Hm.

walshb wrote: »

“Racism is everywhere duh

Except in the system. Yep no racism in the system”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Cops in East meadow, NY

https://v.redd.it/s6f1me9nxl451

Good job on the de-escalation..

Cops in East meadow, NY

Lol
    That was beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 36,047 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Cops in East meadow, NY

It's good in a way, it's another group of corrupt police caught on tape and sacked in the morning.

Lol
    That was beautiful

Why?

It’s a clear violation of someone’s civil rights on a manufactured offense

Lol
    That was beautiful

What do you think was beautiful about that situation?

Please be as specific as you can.

Overheal wrote: »
    “Racism is everywhere duh

Except in the system. Yep no racism in the system”

And no hint that something could or should be done about this racism of course.

I mean, slavery only stopped because people got bored of it.

Wow.
    For someone to admit that they will ignore evidence someone has offered, cannot offer any of their own and thinks that both these are valid reasons by which too maintain their view then there really is little point in talking to them.

I'm not surprised, just didn't think they would lay it out so bluntly and obviously.

wow indeed.

So all these people rioting, looting, breaking the law are all decent people then ? There was me foolishly thinking that decent people would be distancing themselves from these protests, adhering to police warnings, avoiding trouble etc.

Guess you must know best, being an expert on civil unrest via the internet.

Lol
    That was beautiful

anyone else wondering why he was not only in the middle of the police but had his buddies record it ?

Looks to me he was antagonizing the police.

anyone else wondering why he was not only in the middle of the police but had his buddies record it ?

Looks to me he was antagonizing the police.

Of course he was. Video a few seconds long only showing the police officer stopping in front of him. Edited to paint a picture

• Advertisement

wow indeed.

So all these people rioting, looting, breaking the law are all decent people then ? There was me foolishly thinking that decent people would be distancing themselves from these protests, adhering to police warnings, avoiding trouble etc.

Guess you must know best, being an expert on civil unrest via the internet.

As posted already.
    I'm not making excuses for anyone committing acts of violence or looting, they are unacceptable in my view, even though I can understand why it has gotten to this.

Also, just on your last sentence, I am living in a city where there are protests daily and I am not professing myself to be an expert on anything.

Where are you sourcing the information which is helping you to form your opinion?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement