Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,681 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Overheal wrote: »
    “Racism is everywhere duh

Except in the system. Yep no racism in the system”

Reminds me of that Trevor Noah piece looking at the Baltimore PD system.

Can jump ahead to 6:37 for the bit I'm referring to (though there's plenty of bloody awful stuff before it too).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Of course he was. Video a few seconds long only showing the police officer stopping in front of him. Edited to paint a picture

Policer officer stopping in front of him so he bumps into him, this is then used as reason to arrest him? Yeah that is the whole picture.. if there were other reasons to be arresting him, he would of been.

Example, lorry driver driving along the road, car over takes and brake checks the driver, lorry crashes into the car who is at fault?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Policer officer stopping in front of him so he bumps into him, this it then used as reason to arrest him? Yeah that is the whole picture.. if there were other reasons to be arresting him, he would of been.

Example, lorry driver driving along the road, car over takes and brake checks the driver, lorry crashes into the car who is at fault?

Lorry crash analogy? What

Lorry crash analogy? What

Replace lorry with whatever vehicle you like, the analogy is still the same.

That's true. It still makes no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,765 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

And no hint that something could or should be done about this racism of course.

I mean, slavery only stopped because people got bored of it.

Well, slavery still exists in the form of prison labor programs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

you are actually comparing a lorry driving on the road to a guy walking in the road among the police having his buddies record something they obviously know is going to happen.

wow

Cops in East meadow, NY

https://v.redd.it/s6f1me9nxl451

Good job on the de-escalation..

Shouting a megaphone in someone's ear is assault.

I thought they handled it very well and clearly went easy on him. Maybe because he wasn't black? :-/

That's true. It still makes no sense.

Do you drive? Are you familiar with brake checking? Did you know brake checking is assault/reckless driving and can result in jail time?

wow indeed.

So all these people rioting, looting, breaking the law are all decent people then ? There was me foolishly thinking that decent people would be distancing themselves from these protests, adhering to police warnings, avoiding trouble etc.

Guess you must know best, being an expert on civil unrest via the internet.

That is foolish. And shows a deep misunderstanding of the severity of the issues in the US - or else an assumption that the numbers of "bad people" are astronomical.

There were an estimated 300,000 protesters one of the days last week in Los Angeles. Now, either that means the criminal numbers of people are totally wrong, and actually there are hundreds of thousands of criminals hiding in plain sight, or you're just horrendously, ridiculously, insultingly wrong. (it's the latter).

The vast vast vast majority of people protesting are decent normal people who, being decent normal people, recognise the scale of the problem and are doing whatever they can to try to help. And personally speaking, just about everyone I know in LA has been protesting peacefully at least a few of the days. These are my friends and coworkers, not some agents of chaos.

I mean, even that you think that those hundreds of thousands of people are all rioting and looting, points towards you having zero understanding or comprehension of what sort of chaos hundreds of thousands of people rioting and looting would actually look like. What we've seen day after day is hundreds of thousands of decent human beings protesting like decent human beings, with an additional 1 to 2% of that number causing problems.

• Advertisement

Shouting a megaphone in someone's ear is assault.

Yeah that's why he got arrested, assault with a megaphone and not the bumping into the cop.

Maybe we can put this in the bracket of "cops choosing what laws they decide to enforce when ever it suits them".

Do you drive? Are you familiar with brake checking? Did you know brake checking is assault/reckless driving and can result in jail time?

Did you know its illegal to fly a helicopter over the city?

Are we just throwing up random method of transport points and trying to link them to whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

you are actually comparing a lorry driving on the road to a guy walking in the road among the police having his buddies record something they obviously know is going to happen.

wow

Replace buddy recording with dash cam :D

if they were black cops arresting a white guy, would the people quick to blame the police for everything, be as quick to judge ?.

The police have a thankless job, there will always be bad apples in every job, in every force in every country, but the police on the whole are good.

I ask myself why is this guy walking in the middle of the road with the police, why is he there in the first place, why are his friends recording waiting for an incident to happen ?
    Looks to me that he was antagonizing the police and all this was premeditated in order to create an incident so he could be the next one to get attention

Did you know its illegal to fly a helicopter over the city?

Are we just throwing up random method of transport points and trying to link them to whatever

Well the fact is the cop stopped in the middle of the road right in front of the guy. The cop assaulted him. The cops arrested the pedestrian for assault. But no go on keep pretending you don’t see the problem

wow

You understand there's video editing programs (even within WhatsApp?) to reduce the length of the video.. maybe this was the exciting moment of the whole clip, that was a minute long or 2 hours long, it's clear as day the cop is looking to force contact by his own actions so they can claim assault on a police officer an arrest him.

All my opinion backed up by video evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Tempting to donate, although that would be my beer money gone for the night. Maybe if they dropped the anti capitalism stance...

https://www.gofundme.com/f/ukblm-fund

Black Lives Matter UK (BLMUK) is a coalition of black activists and organisers across the UK. We’ve been organising since 2016 for justice in our communities.

We’re guided by a commitment to dismantle imperialism, capitalism, white-supremacy, patriarchy and the state structures that disproportionately harm black people in Britain and around the world.

if they were black cops arresting a white guy, would the people quick to blame the police for everything, be as quick to judge ?.

The police have a thankless job, there will always be bad apples in every job, in every force in every country, but the police on the whole are good.

I ask myself why is this guy walking in the middle of the road with the police, why is he there in the first place, why are his friends recording waiting for an incident to happen ?
    Looks to me that he was antagonizing the police and all this was premeditated in order to create an incident so he could be the next one to get attention

“Antagonizing police” isn’t an offense. Protest isn’t an offense. It’s free speech.

That the cops had to clearly concoct their own reason to arrest him shows whatever happened before this point is irrelevant. Whether or not the cops were black makes no difference to this being an abuse of the color of law.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,597 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Cops in East meadow, NY

https://v.redd.it/s6f1me9nxl451

Good job on the de-escalation..
    Lol
    That was beautiful
    What do you think was beautiful about that situation?

Please be as specific as you can.
    Still waiting for your explanation why you think what happened was beautiful.

Yeah that's why he got arrested, assault with a megaphone and not the bumping into the cop.

Maybe we can put this in the bracket of "cops choosing what laws they decide to enforce when ever it suits them".
    They can actually choose what laws to enforce. You're defending some goon provoking a police officer by following him and shouting a megaphone in his ear. How exactly do you think the fool thought it was going to end? He got off lightly and should count himself lucky.

• Advertisement

You understand there's video editing programs (even within WhatsApp?) to reduce the length of the video.. maybe this was the exciting moment of the whole clip, that was a minute long or 2 hours long, it's clear as day the cop is looking to force contact by his own actions so they can claim assault on a police officer an arrest him.

All my opinion backed up by video evidence.

Now hold the fcuk on

If we can’t see the incident from the moment the cops put their pants on and eat breakfast we can’t be sure that he wasn’t a super predator that they needed to get off the streets no matter what the law said about false arrest :rolleyes:

peddlelies wrote: »
    Tempting to donate, although that would be my beer money gone for the night.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/ukblm-fund

Black Lives Matter UK (BLMUK) is a coalition of black activists and organisers across the UK. We’ve been organising since 2016 for justice in our communities.

We’re guided by a commitment to dismantle imperialism, capitalism, white-supremacy, patriarchy and the state structures that disproportionately harm black people in Britain and around the world.

White supremacy ?

My buddy who was on the housing list for twelve years, saw black people get houses who were only on the list 3 years.....this white supremacy needs to be nipped in the bud

They can actually choose what laws to enforce. You're defending some goon provoking a police officer by following him and shouting a megaphone in his ear. How exactly do you think the fool thought it was going to end? He got off lightly and should count himself lucky.

How was he a goon?

White supremacy ?

My buddy who was on the housing list for twelve years, saw black people get houses who were only on the list 3 years.....this white supremacy needs to be nipped in the bud

My buddy saw people white people get on who were only on the list a week. Also I’m friends with the pope. We get together and play call of duty once a week

How was he a goon?
    Are you serious? He is a complete and utter goon chasing down a cop and shouting a megaphone in his ear. How was he not a goon?

This is obvious - why does it need to be explained.

For real? So I could go out and commit a robbery, it just depends on what cop catches me, if he's having a good day he'll let me go on my way.

Assault of cop either by megaphone or a bump is a serious thing? Maybe he'll get double assault against him..

The "goon" is being arrested for the bump, your claim was assault with a megaphone, that I'd say was more serious for the ear drums then a bump in the back, wouldn't you think?

And yet only in the US do we see this consistent level of violence.

Honestly, i've actually gotta wonder why you're even talking about this... like, you don't even seem to have much understanding of the subject... why roll in so hard behind a position you don't understand?

This is a police force that last year killed 1099 people - over 40% of whom were unarmed. A few bad apples cannot achieve those numbers. This is a police force that account for 33% of all killings at the hands of a stranger Nationally. And it's a police force who thanks to Qualified Immunity, are almost impossible to prosecute.

This is also a police force that recieve less than 20% of the training the Irish Gardai receive, before being given a gun and sent out to patrol.

How can someone look at the reality of the situation, the statistics they manage to rack up, the insane numbers of sexual assaults committed by them, the default training that instead of de-escalation calls instead for total and complete physically subjugation, and not see how fucked it is. ESPECIALLY when there are millions of Americans marching in the streets every day telling you how fucked it is.

Are you serious? He is a complete and utter goon chasing down a cop and shouting a megaphone in his ear. How was he not a goon?

Sure does he own the road? Did cops have to walk alongside him?

I didn’t see him a once point at the cops ear with the megaphone. He actually paused as he walked behind him too, not looking to assault the lad with the megaphone. They’re quite safe to stand beside though as a personal preference I would not.

• Advertisement

For real? So I could go out and commit a robbery, it just depends on what cop catches me, if he's having a good day he'll let me go on my way.

Assault of cop either by megaphone or a bump is a serious thing? Maybe he'll get double assault against him..

The "goon" is being arrested for the bump, your claim was assault with a megaphone, that I'd say was more serious for the ear drums then a bump in the back, wouldn't you think?

Sometimes I do really wonder if it's a mental disorder

tenor.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement