Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Gatling wrote: »
    Taking a leaf out of Russian and Chinese playbooks

Exactly and yet people who claim to be in favour of limiting the power of government bend over backwards to defend the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,390 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

seamus wrote: »
    It's worth remembering that the saying is not, "When there's one bad apple in the barrel, the rest are grand",

The saying is, "One bad apple spoils the barrel". Which in the context of police is very relevant. Because one scumbag police officer doesn't operate in isolation. They don't go without notice. Their behaviour is at best ignored, at worst encouraged by their colleagues.

So if there is "one bad apple" in a police station or force, then that means they have been operating with the tacit approval of their colleagues. This casts the reliability of the entire group into doubt.

Correct, they are ‘facilitated’.. be it by colleagues, management, whoever turns a blind eye...

If it’s me, I’d like to think I’m brave enough and concerned enough to have a conversation in the aftermath of something similar along the lines of..

“ you know what, that arrest wasn’t good, it was a million miles from being ‘by the book’, a million miles from being safe, for us and particularly the suspect. I’m not going to have to work that way, you have my back and I have yours but if you are systematically endangering suspects and therefore us and our reputation and careers during arrests everything changes, my expectation is to have a hardworking and professional partner who does things lawfully ‘by the book’, using force that is proportional and tactics and maneuvers that we have been trained to use and that over years have been shown as professional and applicable to the job that we are doing, keeping EVERYONE safe, us, the public and the suspect..I don’t expect to see it again, clear ? “

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

CNN reported just said that the officers said they were doing as they were told. Police acting as puppets.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

3 people were arrested. The reporter says before that that the crew has 4 in it. The police hand the guys mic off to another guy standing there.

They did and then a minute later they arrested him. He is the unit producer and appears to be white. After him they arrested the camera crew. One man appeared white the other, with the glasses, hat and mask it's hard to tell, but I thought he looked Asian, or possibly Filipino/Latino. The police removed his backpack which was connected to wiring, then cuffed him. It seemed like the cameraman was speaking throughout. Then he put the camera on the ground and was arrested. They were lead off as the camera kept filming, so all 4 were arrested. Having very clearly done absolutely nothing wrong.

The power of the police really is a threat to democracy and free speech if they are arresting journalists for nothing.

America is so full of contradictions and juxtapositions. On one hand you have this "free speech" /land of the free bullsh1te thing going on but yet have near "police state" situations in Counties and cities up and down the land.

If we saw some of this stuff happening in China or Hong Kong, we'd be saying that their human rights were violated but some numpties here on this thread think because America is a democracy, if you're arrested by the police, then you MUST have done something wrong because they're the good guys.

The illusion of "freedom" and "respect for human rights' in America is taken as gospel by the uneducated but there's a whole world of stories of police racism and brutality out there if people care to look. I'm actually not surprised by this arrest at all- what it shows to me, is that the racist cops are probably feeling a lot safer in Donald Trump Land so arresting a black CNN journalist will probably get them a presidential medal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Trump needs to send in the national guard. Things getting out of control. When the looting starts, the shooting starts!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

walshb wrote: »
    Smart arse to me

Put us back, wherever you want us, gotcha......

They were asked to get back and out of the way....He then started trying to converse and go into detail....simple: Move, shut up and no problem...

Juts let us know, and we gotch ya...

You were already told to move.....now, move...

Acting the maggot....simple as.....during a riot....place in an absolute heap, and state patrol on high alert.

Explain how he can move with the police holding his arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Smart arse replies? like where do you want me to move?

Jesus, there's reaching and there's whatever this is.....

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Smart arse to me

They were asked to get back and out of the way....He then started trying to converse and go into detail....simple: Move, shut up and no problem...

Acting the maggot....simple as.....during a riot....place in an absolute heap, and state patrol on high alert.

Move "back" to where? Police are on all sides.

Do they take the instruction to move back literally so in your opinion and walk backwards till they hit the police behind them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Smart arse to me

Stop digging.

I thought you'd have learned that lesson by now whenever you think it's fun to be an agitator in threads.

• Advertisement

Move "back" to where? Police are on all sides.

Do they take the instruction to move back literally so in your opinion and walk backwards till they hit the police behind them?

Don't waste your energy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Well said Brendan.

Let’s gather the facts and ALL evidence before crucifying men who were doing their job.
    Floyd was involved in forgery and didn’t end up On the ground for no reason, that much is established

Just noticed this. Did you forget which account you were using?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,603 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Smart arse to me

Exactly what I sarcastically said is actually what you said. The police didnt want to lower himself to converse with *that sort* of citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

pjohnson wrote: »
    Exactly what I said. The police didnt want to lower himself to converse with *that sort* of citizen.

They are not there to get into a back and forth. They issued a command, and the man did not comply. He got arrested for this.

They are not there to get into a back and forth. They issued a command, and the man did not comply. He got arrested for this.

Suppose you would have been ok if they started to choke him for resisting since he had such a "smart mouth"?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wonder if we could get the cop who did the AMA thread a while back to give an opinion on recent events

Hurrache wrote: »
    Stop digging.

I thought you'd have learned that lesson by now whenever you think it's fun to be an agitator in threads.

Not digging at all..

He got himself arrested

Biggest problem in the world today is people not taking responsibility for their own actions and behaviors...

Anyway, he is free now. Maybe next time he will simply comply, and spare himself the threat of arrest.

Just noticed this. Did you forget which account you were using?

Is that the same person talking to themselves? Oh wow. Pathetic

Suppose you would have been ok if they started to choke him for resisting since he had such a "smart mouth"?

No need to use force. He was clearly not resisting arrest.

Trump needs to send in the national guard. Things getting out of control. When the looting starts, the shooting starts!

They are there already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

I wonder if it being a CNN crew involved was significant, given that Trump has constantly demonised them. I suppose we'll find out if there's an investigation.

I'm sure the Democrat mayor and Governor will do exactly what Trump tells them to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They are there to issue clear directions. Like they would receive themselves.

"Move back" (there are police on all sides)

"where would you like us to go to be out of the way"

"over there "

Thats a perfectly normal exchange.

Do you reckon the police chief issues a blanket order to all however many police there are to "go to the city" and thats it, they all just figure the rest out themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

If white people rioted and burned down the city every time a white person was killed by a black person then they'd really be in trouble.

Gatling wrote: »
    Wonder if we could get the cop who did the AMA thread a while back to give an opinion on recent events

Fairly sure most cops would be disgusted by this behaviour. The majority are decent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't think this is going away.

If there was any semi-competent adult in the White House, this could be worked on, but while you've got a racist moron there, he's only going to stoke the fire with "tough talk" and viral soundbites. People are already in a low mood between lockdowns and soaring unemployment, and now unchecked systemic racism is being given a free pass in full public view.

I won't be surprised if we start seeing similar events kick off in other US cities over the coming days.

No need to use force. He was clearly not resisting arrest.

Oh but you didnt mind using force on people resisting before. Nice you've come around on that at least.

Hurrache wrote: »
    I'm confused too, why did 2 different people response to a post aimed at an individual?

Pjohnson doesnt know Hurrache.

Walshb and brendanwalsh. No connection there. Right...

Would you not even make up a different name?

Oh but you didnt mind using force on people resisting before. Nice you've come around on that at least.

No, George appears not to have resisted.

The cop that knelt on him to restrain him used too much force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

seamus wrote: »
    I don't think this is going away.

If there was any semi-competent adult in the White House, this could be worked on, but while you've got a racist moron there, he's only going to stoke the fire with "tough talk" and viral soundbites. People are already in a low mood between lockdowns and soaring unemployment, and now unchecked systemic racism is being given a free pass in full public view.

I won't be surprised if we start seeing similar events kick off in other US cities over the coming days.

Yeah, all depending on how Trump responds, it may further explode. His shooting and looting comment and apparent historical connotation stokes the fire, and lots are already comparing his differences in wording on tweets depending on the groups that are protesting.

The fact that those arrested by the state police were with CNN, and the colour, may be a coincidence but it wouldn't be surprising that the guy who instigated the arrest thought it would be good to arrest the 'fake' media.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement