Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,754 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

walshb wrote: »
    So who is to blame for crime in black neighbourhoods?

Here is one of those red herrings people are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Stateofyou wrote: »
    You couldn't be more blatantly racist if you tried. Using the word thugs and putting words in their mouth as IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING or ANYONE in the US going through this right now on a personal level. From what point of authority can you even say anything like that.

I already pointed out that they do not say they want no police, or can't you read? Can you not look into this yourself, or google anything? No, you don't want to do that because you wouldn't be able to continue on in your hateful bias. Your words and attitude here says a lot about you. Why is racism so sustained? Ignorant attitudes like yours ignoring any information and possible education on any issue.

Labeling looters and rioters as thugs is racist?

Wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

of course it has not disappeared in 3 weeks
    Guess what, it will still exist in 3 generations time sadly. Making something illegal will not make racism disappear.

The rioting now serves no purpose.....if I am wrong enlighten me what can be gained by violent protesting

Also, if you do not want to read my posts put me on ignore, or dont reply, its not a hard concept to grasp

Well since you seemed to have asked a generic question what can be gained by violent protest?

Are you aware of what the situation was like for the black community in the US up to the sixties. Segregation, lynchings, etc that eventually changed but not without protest and there was violence.

Kapernick had a peaceful protest and he was ridiculed for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Overheal wrote: »
    1,000?

Dude it's one tweet of it. There are thousands of tweets exactly like the one linked to, and you're taking the Likes on 1 tweet as the barometer of how popular the idea is? Think critically please!

Ah it's not just one tweet. Its the tweet I was waiting 1 week for supporters of this protest to put up, finally it gets put up as 'look this is what we're asking for' it has like 1k likes and 700 shares.

Have you got any other tweets that are a representation of what the demands are?

I posted up earlier some demands listed by BLM affiliated associations in different cities and it seems they're advocating for segregation among other things.

How else can you fix disparate outcomes within groups without segregation/apartheid? This is the disgusting path this movement is going down and many seem to willfully ignore this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Ah the laws of unintended consequences...the kryptonite of the modern left.

27 blacks murdered in Chicago in two days few weeks back. Solution? Defund the cops. No lets reduce the force by 50%? Sure whats 27 dead? You may add another 50 black murders with 50% less cops but who cares that wouldnt matter. Once one black isnt killed, whether by accident or not, by a cop, especially a white cop thats all that matters. Once your saving money on the police budget that all that matters. These communities can police themselves. Its only the very presence of a police force that has them murdering each other at such ridiculously high levels. Cops are the problem. They are inheritantly evil and racist. Get rid of that cancer and its a beautiful world for all. Just surprised its taken this long to realise such an obvipus solution. Bravo. Better late than never.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,596 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

2u2me wrote: »
    Ah it's not just one tweet. Its the tweet I was waiting 1 week for supporters of this protest to put up, finally it gets put up as 'look this is what we're asking for' it has like 1k likes and 700 shares.

Have you got any other tweets that are a representation of what the demands are?

I posted up earlier some demands listed by BLM affiliated associations in different cities and it seems they're advocating for segregation among other things.

How else can you fix disparate outcomes within groups without segregation/apartheid? This is the disgusting path this movement is going down and many seem to willfully ignore this.

This is Alex Jones level of strawman building.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

There's a guy talking a lot of sense on this live stream right now:

Be warned this channel is run by two white men who lampoon SJW culture and thus are undoubtely alt right naziiiis

The guy they're interviewing is a black American, but Joe Biden would probably dispute this :D

You couldn't be more blatantly racist if you tried. Using the word thugs and putting words in their mouth as IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING or ANYONE in the US going through this right now on a personal level. From what point of authority can you even say anything like that.

I already pointed out that they do not say they want no police, or can't you read? Can you not look into this yourself, or google anything? No, you don't want to do that because you wouldn't be able to continue on in your hateful bias. Your words and attitude here says a lot about you. Why is racism so sustained? Ignorant attitudes like yours ignoring any information and possible education on any issue.

So im a racist now? Ha you know me so well. What a dope. Stateofyou you clown.

Wtf?

This is what your dealing with with some of these morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,596 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

27 blacks murdered in Chicago in two days few weeks back. Solution? Defund the cops. No lets reduce the force by 50%? Sure whats 27 dead? You may add another 50 black murders with 50% less cops but who cares that wouldnt matter. Once one black isnt killed, whether by accident or not, by a cop, especially a white cop thats all that matters. Once your saving money on the police budget that all that matters. These communities can police themselves. Its only the very presence of a police force that has them murdering each other at such ridiculously high levels. Cops are the problem. They are inheritantly evil and racist. Get rid of that cancer and its a beautiful world for all. Just surprised its taken this long to realise such an obvipus solution. Bravo. Better late than never.

A - the majority of people protesting are not calling for total abolishment of police forces
    B - People are suggesting that it is not ideal that police are so well funded while schools and healthcare workers are not
    C - Prevention is better than cure. Long term initiatives will help the people in these communities to consider lives outside of the criminal paths which many of them currently take
    D - The problem is exacerbated by the US for profit justice system which favours locking people up.

• Advertisement

You must ignore facts that most black people are killed by black people.

What is the actual relevance? Most whites are killed by whites. What is the actual relevance?
    You must ignore the cops have killed more white people than black

Nobody ignored this, and it's been brought up easily 100 times in this thread, and addressed:

Blacks make up about 13% of the population, black men are about 6.5%. Blacks are being shot at an incredibly disproportionate rate; if the argument is that race is not a factor in police killings than blacks should only make 13% (at most) of them and whites should always make up the majority of those killed (and they do).

The fact that you choose to ignore, and then feign martyrdom over not comprehending ('ah you can't have an opinion in here, muh feelings, etc') is that blacks are 2.5x more likely to be killed by police in light of all of these facts, including the fact that in total whites are killed more by cops than blacks.

Of 1,004 police shootings last year, 235 blacks were killed, 23%, even though the entire ethnic group is just 13% of the population. Whites made up 36% of those killed (370), despite being about 72% of the population.

If you want to talk about the facts lets talk about the facts. But you don't want to talk about the facts, you want to act like a football player faking an injury.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

So im a racist now? Ha you know me so well. What a dope. Stateofyou you clown.

I'd say it's a racist dogwhistle and a problematic word but I doubt you know what that means, or that you're interested to know more about it, or would even do the work yourself to look into it online. Am I right? The absolute state of you.

Besides the point (which you so like to ignore) is that most protests are peaceful and the focus should be on systemic racism and the problems that is causing rather than the symptoms (riots/looting).

Maybe because that's a blatantly stupid question. George Floyd was killed about 3 weeks ago and it's sparked a WORLDWIDE MOVEMENT. It's not status quo, carrying on as normal after another shocking and senseless death at the hands of police. My former company in the US was directly involved with seeking change with the local city PD and we had various racial justice activists to speak and hold community events so I'm very much aware of how difficult change is because of loopholes in the law. That are basically set in stone. People have been pushing for change and suffering under this institutionalised violence for more than 400 years and you're already scoffing and demanding to know what's been achieved in a mere 3 weeks? That is beyond ridiculous. However I will say that the past 3 weeks have achieved what has already been impossible for decades/hundreds of years: Minneapolis committed to dismantling its police and other states and cities are following suit, New York City vowed to reform the NYPD and statues were toppled across the country. Schools are also removing the presence of armed officers and many businesses and cities are reviewing their contracts with their PD's.
    I guess I should be glad to see that the progress made isn't quick enough for you!

Excellent post thank you.

This is Alex Jones level of strawman building.

That's ostrich head in the sand level of awareness.
    • An end to Behavioral Modification classification for Black and Brown children.
    • Student-led creation of a Student’s Bill of Rights that centers the needs of Black, Brown, Indigenous, and ESL

https://blacklivesseattle.org/our-demands/

Wtf?

thugs
    superpredators
    etc

these are the words people use to push an agenda and dehumanise people.

Honestly now. It was posted as an example. If you want to embark on research to count up all the likes and retweets of people who agreed with the idea across the whole of social media thats an exercise I leave up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

What is the actual relevance? Most whites are killed by whites. What is the actual relevance?

Nobody ignored this, and it's been brought up easily 100 times in this thread, and addressed:

Blacks make up about 13% of the population, black men are about 6.5%. Blacks are being shot at an incredibly disproportionate rate; if the argument is that race is not a factor in police killings than blacks should only make 13% (at most) of them and whites should always make up the majority of those killed (and they do).

The fact that you choose to ignore, and then feign martyrdom over not comprehending ('ah you can't have an opinion in here, muh feelings, etc') is that blacks are 2.5x more likely to be killed by police in light of all of these facts, including the fact that in total whites are killed more by cops than blacks.

Of 1,004 police shootings last year, 235 blacks were killed, 23%, even though the entire ethnic group is just 13% of the population. Whites made up 36% of those killed (370), despite being about 72% of the population.

If you want to talk about the facts lets talk about the facts. But you don't want to talk about the facts, you want to act like a football player faking an injury.

Who knows, maybe there's some correlation between being responsible for most of the violent crime, and having violent interactions with the police?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

So why was that Wendy's burned down? What did they do to lose their business premises?

Honestly now. It was posted as an example. If you want to embark on research to count up all the likes and retweets of people who agreed with the idea across the whole of social media thats an exercise I leave up to you.

This post is dripping with disingenuous drivel.

So why was that Wendy's burned down? What did they do to lose their business premises?

In Fairnesd that is the nature of protests and riots across the world. Anger does not always be vented in a logical way.

• Advertisement

Who knows, maybe there's some correlation between being responsible for most of the violent crime, and having violent interactions with the police?

People shout "ah but the blacks make up about 50% of the murders in America"

They don't stop and think how many murders are solved or where we have an identity of the killer? at least 40% of murders go unsolved.

This post is dripping with disingenuous drivel.

If that's dripping yours was flooding. counting up likes on a lone tweet. ffs

thugs
    superpredators
    etc

these are the words people use to push an agenda and dehumanise people.

Exactly. These are people who are reacting to an accumulated 400 years of systemic racism, oppression and violence. They're protesting and organising in every single state in the US for weeks in a row now and has been picked up in many countries around the world.
    Dismissing protesters as rioters or focusing on the small segment of riots dehumanises them and their efforts to resist and understandably make some noise. There's very real anger felt and suffered due to the fact that their people and communities have been devastated for hundreds of years and literally burned to the ground. I saw a very good point that a white protester made that's gone viral, which was basically that if her son that she reared was senselessly and inhumanely taken by racist police within a institutionalised racist system that protects them she would burn it all to the ground. And every mam/parent felt that deeply, which is why it went viral, because it's true. If you tried a bit of empathy, you might find it easier to focus more on the message of the protests and the reform needed and SUPPORT THAT and do some work yourself against racism... instead of focusing on the minuscule riots/looting in comparison and refusing to see how that's a symptom and culmination of the violence of 100's of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

People shout "ah but the blacks make up about 50% of the murders in America"

They don't stop and think how many murders are solved or where we have an identity of the killer? at least 40% of murders go unsolved.

Grand so, but of the murders we do have details on, it's black killing blacks at a massively disproportionate rate.

Haven't some forums even banned the phrase scumbag when talking about crimes in Ireland? So, people definitely appear to recognize the power of dehumanization.

Maybe not. All the controversial incident of police shootings recently have not been violent interactions with the police the three that come to mind are the Floyd case, last night a man running away from cops and Breona Taylor shot in her bed.

There are obviously plenty of police shootings that would be justified but there are just simply too many that aren't.
    That may be racism or just police brutality or poor training whatever, but they need to get a handle on it.

If that's dripping yours was flooding. counting up likes on a lone tweet. ffs

If you took every last racist out of the police force, judicial system, every politican etc.. and replaced them with fair minded rational people(Hypothetically);

Would we still see the disparate outcomes we're seeing among groups today?
    (Prison sentences; arrests, homicides, etc..)

Grand so, but of the murders we do have details on, it's black killing blacks at a massively disproportionate rate.

Different issue.

Also to further answer the question about what else has been done in a short time (as if the examples I gave weren't incredible enough) San Francisco announced that their "police officers will be replaced with trained, unarmed professions to respond to calls for help on noncriminal matters involving mental health, the homeless, school discipline, neighbour disputes etc as part of a new wave of police reforms." Next up is getting the same in place for drug addiction issues but that is a pretty amazing start.

• Advertisement

If you took every last racist out of the police force, judicial system, every politican etc.. and replaced them with fair minded rational people(Hypothetically);

Would we still see the disparate outcomes we're seeing among groups today?
    (Prison sentences; arrests, homicides, etc..)

Have you watched 13th yet? It's on Netflix and shines some light on your post here. Police unions, private prisons, racist laws (war on drugs) etc need huge attention and reform.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement