Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

pjohnson wrote: »
    Pjohnson doesnt know Hurrache.

Ah, but do you know johnsonp?

walshb and brendanwalsh, Brendan responds to Brendan. Entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Probably doesnt suit many agendas but CNN have repeated many times over the last while that a police station was destroyed and that fences put up to protect it were pulled down.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Hurrache wrote: »
    Ah, but do you know johnsonp?

walshb and brendanwalsh, Brendan responds to Brendan. Entertaining.
    Good post Osarusan, I completely agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hurrache wrote: »
    Yeah, all depending on how Trump responds, it may further explode. His shooting and looting comment and apparent historical connotation stokes the fire, and lots are already comparing his differences in wording on tweets depending on the groups that are protesting.

There's a massive historical angle there as you say, but even if there wasn't, you have the President of America threatening to kill citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Trump has been threatening to kill everyone and anyone....

His sick threats to nuke countries that stepped out of line....

He is as about as wrong the man in charge here as there could ever be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

pjohnson wrote: »
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcT0kG_s4VJ-KJL2pCCnHj73VpHACxafVKR--k9PCrjO6MQyfZsp&usqp=CAU

(Hopefully Guy Incognito posts just before or just after this)

Edit:

Goddamn it Guy.

:)

appologies, I was over in the soccer forum for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'd say the cops over there live for the day when they get to dress up and play real life Call of Duty in their riot gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Christy42

BASHIR wrote: »

They were confirmed to be members of media before the arrests took place so that is a load of bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

If it was a third world country, what’s going on the US would be called genocide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Christy42 wrote: »
    They were confirmed to be members of media before the arrests took place so that is a load of bull.

Yes I know this.

Christy42 wrote: »

And it makes no sense. Can members of the media not be arrested?

It's worded like it was wrongful arrest due to them being members of the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

walshb wrote: »

Because it was a wrongful arrest.

Because it was a wrongful arrest.

It implies that they were wrongfully arrested due to them being members of the media. Hence my querying it...

Unless I am reading it wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

If it was a third world country, what’s going on the US would be called genocide

The US has long-standing policing problems and a messed up racial landscape, but I don't think anything about this incident or recent similar incidents amounts to anything close to genocide.

This is just way OTT

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Christy42

Reporters have additional rights to be allowed report things like this. Sort of the same reason police don't arrest themselves for being in the middle of a riot.

Ordinary people have to leave for their safety and because any ordinary citizens in the middle of a riot are going to be presumed to be part of the mob so they have to leave or get arrested. Members of the media or other people with actual jobs there are allowed to remain to do their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

When Turkey is talking down to you about human rights, you know you have real problems......

"The racist and fascist approach that led to the death of George Floyd in the US city of Minneapolis as a result of torture has not only deeply saddened all of us, but it has also become one of the most painful manifestations of the unjust order we stand against across the world," Erdogan tweeted in English.

"I believe that the perpetrators of this inhumane act shall receive the punishment they deserve," said Erdogan.

"We will be monitoring the issue."

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wonder if Putin and the Saudis will be watching too

When Turkey is talking down to you about human rights, you know you have real problems......

"The racist and fascist approach that led to the death of George Floyd in the US city of Minneapolis as a result of torture has not only deeply saddened all of us, but it has also become one of the most painful manifestations of the unjust order we stand against across the world," Erdogan tweeted in English.

"I believe that the perpetrators of this inhumane act shall receive the punishment they deserve," said Erdogan.

The Chinese propaganda apparatus will make hay from this as well.

• Advertisement

The professional camera equipment, probably labelled with the CNN logo, didn't give them away no?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Freedom of the press in the US has been broadly interpreted to mean that the press must be permitted to be present to report on events provided that in being there they don't endanger themselves or the public.

In the broadest sense this means that police cannot arrest reporters for reporting, where other members of the public could be commanded to move on or stop taking pitures.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

If you suspect someone has two accounts report it, don't drag the thread off topic with accusations, no more of that please.

Re-opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

I would of thought people from this country could see the oppression for what it is considering our history.

This has to be one of the most uneducated comments Iv read on boards for a while. A massive misappropriation of Irish history, equating our history with that of the dire situation in the US at the moment is sensationalism at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1266380510344949761

'Not a racist, not a racist, not a r...'

Surprised he didn't follow up with tremendous NG, best NG in the world, beautiful NG.....BEST shoot to kill NG anywhere....fine fine people...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Top class trolling from Erdogan there. He's in no position to comment on human rights but it did make me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

MadYaker wrote: »
    Top class trolling from Erdogan there. He's in no position to comment on human rights but it did make me laugh.

The sad thing is all these despots have an allie in Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Yurt! wrote: »
    The Chinese propaganda apparatus will make hay from this as well.

That's pretty non existent.

The US is a pretty horrible place, I am more concerned with its external rather than its internal actions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement