Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭wandererz

Overheal wrote: »
    So then what relevance is it to george Floyd or the protests

On the one hand it could show a black government employee sick of the antifa & BLM protesters.

On the other hand it could be asking why this hasn't made the press in a big way. i.e It's not news-worthy because it wasn't a white guy body slamming the black guy.

And why no riots, burning & looting because of this.

Lots of relevance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Black on black is ok apparently.

obviously, anytime a black person is assaulted it HAS to be racism if its a white person involved

keep up

• Registered Users Posts: 21,547 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Yeah, everybody is sick of things alright.

US
    america_protests_new_york_90715_c0-216-5168-3229_s885x516.jpg?52afeb52019a280b415a4a674399d0fc3b4315ed

Japan
    000_1TF1GC-1024x681.jpg

Spain
    embassy_protests.jpg?itok=-H1W_aax

Germany
    protest-georgefloyd-101~_v-videowebl.jpg

Australia
    kc-blm0606.jpg?itok=-0oe4Kkp&timestamp=1591422297

Ireland
    blmdublin.jpg

UK
    Protest12312.jpg?width=1000&height=614&fit=bounds&format=pjpg&auto=webp&quality=70&crop=16:9,offset-y0.5

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

wandererz wrote: »
    On the one hand it could show a black government employee sick of the antifa & BLM protesters.

On the other hand it could be asking why this hasn't made the press in a big way. i.e It's not news-worthy because it wasn't a white guy body slamming the black guy.

And why no riots, burning & looting because of this.

Lots of relevance.

It could show anything. There is literally no context, least of all to BLM or antifa? Tf

not sure, looked like some scumbag was giving the bus drivers hassle, and got a nice slam for his troubles

What happened to your 'all violence is unacceptable' stance from yesterday?

• Advertisement

What happened to your 'all violence is unacceptable' stance from yesterday?
    violence is unacceptable,

but people have the right to self preservation in self defense.

what do you think that person was doing confronting the bus driver ?
    Discussing global warming, offering him a deal on car insurance,

maybe you are right, and the bus drivers trying to do their job should have just called the police...oh wait....the police would have only shot him because he was black, and all the police are racist....

violence is unacceptable,

but people have the right to self preservation in self defense.

what do you think that person was doing confronting the bus driver ?
    Discussing global warming, offering him a deal on car insurance,

maybe you are right, and the bus drivers trying to do their job should have just called the police...oh wait....the police would have only shot him because he was black, and all the police are racist....

What the F do you think the protests are about?

Also, the guy who attacked the guy in the video was in no way being threatened by the person he attacked. There is no evidence that the other guy was either in the length of the video we saw.

Yeah, everybody is sick of things alright.

US
    america_protests_new_york_90715_c0-216-5168-3229_s885x516.jpg?52afeb52019a280b415a4a674399d0fc3b4315ed

Japan
    000_1TF1GC-1024x681.jpg

Spain
    embassy_protests.jpg?itok=-H1W_aax

Germany
    protest-georgefloyd-101~_v-videowebl.jpg

Australia
    kc-blm0606.jpg?itok=-0oe4Kkp&timestamp=1591422297

Ireland
    blmdublin.jpg

UK
    Protest12312.jpg?width=1000&height=614&fit=bounds&format=pjpg&auto=webp&quality=70&crop=16:9,offset-y0.5

so you show pics of protesters in the uk , a nation of over 60 million I believe, and you think a pic of around a thousand equates to ALL.

for every perso n out protesting i bet there are infinite times more who are sick of it.

Are you protesting ?
    You seem to spend you time on here lecturing others, why are you not out if you believe so strongly in it ?

so you show pics of protesters in the uk , a nation of over 60 million I believe, and you think a pic of around a thousand equates to ALL.

for every perso n out protesting i bet there are infinite times more who are sick of it.

Are you protesting ?
    You seem to spend you time on here lecturing others, why are you not out if you believe so strongly in it ?

Infinite times more?

Jesus the population crisis is worse than I thought!

Are you protesting ?

Yes.

How is it me expressing my view is 'lecturing'?
    How would you describe the position/role you are taking on here?

Are you protesting?
    Do you think it is necessary?

• Advertisement

Yes.

How is it me expressing my view is 'lecturing'?
    How would you describe the position/role you are taking on here?

Are you protesting?
    Do you think it is necessary?

well done on protesting, I am sick of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Imagine how sick people of colour are of racism.

Do you think the black community is sick of it?

Even after everything that has gone on the last few weeks, we say a guy who was being questioned for being drunk in a car at a drive thru restaurant was shot dead after being questioned by police.

The justification is that he assaulted them, stole their tazer and fired it at them.

Is that really justification to kill a guy? The US system of policing where violence, or the threat of violence has everyone on edge is getting people killed in a way in which doesn't happen in the majority of other countries in the world.

Getting sick of people calling for a change to that is a luxury you have that not everyone shares.

Stateofyou wrote: »

oh you are back, I thought you had left after another member posted the facts you asked for.

You’ve frequently said you have no problem with peaceful protesting now you are sick of it and are starting to make posts glorifying violence that you’ve spent your time in thread virtue signaling against wholesale.

Even after everything that has gone on the last few weeks, we say a guy who was being questioned for being drunk in a car at a drive thru restaurant was shot dead after being questioned by police.

The justification is that he assaulted them, stole their tazer and fired it at them.

Is that really justification to kill a guy? The US system of policing where violence, or the threat of violence has everyone on edge is getting people killed in a way in which doesn't happen in the majority of other countries in the world.

Getting sick of people calling for a change to that is a luxury you have that not everyone shares.

you showed picture of groups around the world. where for example a few hundred people marching in dublin in a country of 4 million.

That is not most people, not sure how good your maths are.

Stateofyou wrote: »

ah right,....so only people of colour can get racism.....

Blacks cannot be racist
    Asians cannot be racist
    etc

In case you missed the facts earlier you avoided, most blacks killed in america are killed by blacks.
    most of the crimes serious crimes committed by blacks is upon blacks

Most black people shot by police are shot by black or hispanics officers.,,,, but its only an issue when a white person kill a black person, and you fail to see the reverse racism in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Jmsg

For better or probably for worse, the US is a gun culture where police are armed. This means that a suspect getting the upper hand in a physical altercation amounts to them effectively gaining control of the officer's firearm. In the idiotic situation given these facts that someone does choose to go so, lethal force is fully justified.

you showed picture of groups around the world. where for example a few hundred people marching in dublin in a country of 4 million.

It's more than have protested in support of police violence, I know that much.

It's more than have protested in support of police violence, I know that much.

So ?

a few hundred people in a country of 4 million is hardly a ringing endorsement that most people are in agreement.

Is it too hard for you to accept most people are sick of the protesting ?

• Advertisement

Jmsg wrote: »
    For better or probably for worse, the US is a gun culture where police are armed. This means that a suspect getting the upper hand in a physical altercation amounts to them effectively gaining control of the officer's firearm. In the idiotic situation given these facts that someone does choose to go so, lethal force is fully justified.

I would argue that one tazer armed man versus 2 gun armed and an additional tazer would still suggest lethal force is not justified but I do get your point.

Best point made to it I saw on twitter was that if a car impound truck and a community welfare officer had visited the guy instead of two armed police, he'd probably still be alive today.

“Yeah but look at all those millions of ambivalent people!”

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Jmsg

It's not only based on that. Everyone who has a social media account has seen the high majority of people are posting in support of the black lives matter movement despite it only taking a matter of minutes to look up the statistics which show it's a complete farce.

Even back in 2016 during BLM's first iteration many of the mainstream liberal media outlets were questioning the narrative and showing the statistics that there is no ration disparity in blacks getting killed by cops when you factor in the number of encounters with police due to higher rates of crime. Now the narrative has shifted and everyone is on board with what are actually covert power grabs by radical leftists.

So ?

a few hundred people in a country of 4 million is hardly a ringing endorsement that most people are in agreement.

Is it too hard for you to accept most people are sick of the protesting ?

If your rational is that the support for the protests is evident by the numbers protesting then it can also be applied that the protest for the police should be evident based on the numbers supporting them. It's your logic.

What evidence have you that most people are sick of the protesting?

Protests worldwide for this issue Id say a great many people aren’t sick of protesting and many are just getting warmed up.

I understand that. Legitimate historical oppression has rendered them in a bad condition (compared to Asians being recently hand selected as immigrants) but that's separate from whether that oppression is still ongoing which there doesn't seem to be any actual evidence that it is. Based on things like affirmative action it would seem there has been a 180 degree turn.

The reality is that some posters here would like to think Black people are inferior and that there's nothing holding them down, systemic racism doesn't exist as far as their concerned so they'll bring up crime statistics and make outrageous statements like the one above in order to promote their racist bias.

400 years of SYSTEMIC racism is going to have a devastating effect on the Black population. If you don't know what systemic racism in the US entails then I suggest you look it up. Yes there is crime too, and that will always exist. To say that there isn't any actual evidence that there is ongoing oppression against Black people in the US and that affirmative action completely reversed that is just wrong, uniformed, and pure ignorance of the facts. If affirmative action reversed everything, then what's up with the statistics that black people are disproportionately targeted, arrested, jailed, sentenced and killed in their "justice" system. What's up with the statistics that Black mothers, Native American and Alaska Native women are about three times more likely to die from causes related to pregnancy, compared to white women in the United States.
    To the poster above, JMSG, please post the links & evidence you have to support those claims.

If your rational is that the support for the protests is evident by the numbers protesting then it can also be applied that the protest for the police should be evident based on the numbers supporting them. It's your logic.

What evidence have you that most people are sick of the protesting?

I do not know anyone interested in protest, those that initially believes in it now are sickened by what a fiasco it has become, and almost everyone else is fed up with it.

a few hundred out of 4 million in this country , or even a few hundred in a city of dublin which must have a population over over a million in the greater area is not a sign of "most people".

I will even venture to say, I think the crowds will get smaller the longer it goes.

But I wont keep you, as you must have a protest to attend, seeing as you are so pro protest.

I don't think racism can ever truly stop because in-group preference is a hard wired feature of human biology. It seems in an attempt to fulfill the impossible protocol of ridding themselves of it, Americans and westerners in general have actually gone the other direction of over-compensating and actually taking the position of out-groups in favor of their own. Affirmative action, "taking the knee" etc. seem to be clear evidence of this.

This same poster thinks that "taking the knee" should be in quotes, for one. And secondly, that it accomplished some super human feat of over-compensation and is clear evidence that everything is more than rectified for Black people. Because Colin Kaepernick and other people have taken the knee, now Black people are over-compensated. The lack of logic here is just mind-boggling.

I do not know anyone interested in protest, those that initially believes in it now are sickened by what a fiasco it has become, and almost everyone else is fed up with it.

a few hundred out of 4 million in this country , or even a few hundred in a city of dublin which must have a population over over a million in the greater area is not a sign of "most people".

I will even venture to say, I think the crowds will get smaller the longer it goes.

But I wont keep you, as you must have a protest to attend, seeing as you are so pro protest.

And the majority of people I know, are. That's combined in the US, Ireland, and other countries that have protested. Germany might have had the largest, or one of the largest, protests supporting BLM and anti-racism. Many have participated in blackouttuesday and are posting their opinions about what happened in the US and speaking against racism here in Ireland. It's great so see people in my social media feeds speaking out against systemic racism and protesting for change.
    Apparently, I know all the best people. :) Proud of that.

• Advertisement

Can someone tell him Ireland has had far more than a population of 4 million? It’s 6.2 million. It hasn’t been near 4 million in a century.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement