Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options
1330331332333334336»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Stateofyou wrote: »
    The facts have been stated and link ALL over this thread. The Facts are easily referenced by your friend Google. And in many documentaries found on Netflix or YouTube. Or perhaps US history books would interest you? This is so juvenile to even debate the factual existence of systemic racism. You need to go educate yourself and come back to have an intelligent discussion. It's like asking me to post my proof that the sky appears blue and the earth revolves around the Sun. :rolleyes:
    Where are YOUR facts he killed him because of personal reasons? Where did I say it was because of racism? I said he was an ar@sehole who senselessly took his life after kneeling on his neck with his hands casually in his pocket. Whether it was personal or racist, lets just agree it was wrong and put this stupid argument to bed.

I never stated he was killed for personal reason as a fact.
    another of your fabrications

Do you ever read the posts on here ? or are so so would up you are now resorting to replying to everything just for the sake of replying and not even reading ?

So again I ask what proof have you systemic racism exists...as opposed to a force that has some racist cops.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

On Netflix....I'll watch it after I've watched the documentary on Alexadria Ocasio-Cortez and the one on that woman who was married to the last President....I can't remember her name...she's writing books and going on tours.

WE should all be made to watch two hours of content from The Ministry of Truth per day...we'll all be in agreement then!

"Dictate.." .."made..." in actuality it was a suggestion. An idea. Informing yourself is super threatening apparently. Lol.

AOC is pretty great too, what documentary is that? Would love to watch, thanks for the idea. :) Already watched Becoming (Michelle Obama) - highly recommend! Have the book too, also recommend. Can you recommend anything else pre-approved by you that would help inform me to discuss a case within the legal system and history of a foreign country? Seems smart. Thanks.

On Netflix....I'll watch it after I've watched the documentary on Alexadria Ocasio-Cortez and the one on that woman who was married to the last President....I can't remember her name...she's writing books and going on tours.

WE should all be made to watch two hours of content from The Ministry of Truth per day...we'll all be in agreement then!

Imagine the ego of somebody, to dictate that other people should have to watch a show he decides upon in order to post on a thread on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Is there any way this thread can be paused, or actually re-started now that it's hit 10,000 posts, and ask that people first watch 13th on Netflix before commenting again. It explains the slavery to prison pipeline that exists in the US.

You obviously missed this post. What you are recommending is a politically charged pile of sh1te. Every other review of it is either 10/10 or 3/10.

The Wire on the other hand has been admitted as one of the best pieces of fiction to come out of the US in decades. I bet you haven't seen that have you?

Look at these two lists of reviews:

The Wire reviews
    13th reviews

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

I never stated he was killed for personal reason as a fact.
    another of your fabrications

Do you ever read the posts on here ? or are so so would up you are now resorting to replying to everything just for the sake of replying and not even reading ?

So again I ask what proof have you systemic racism exists...as opposed to a force that has some racist cops.

You in fact did say that they worked together and you said this and I quote:
    "In fact it is as likely it was a personal issue not a racial issue."

Who's fabricating-you.

Systemic racism in the US is easily something you can educate yourself on as already stated. You can start with this link: https://www.benjerry.com/home/whats-new/2016/systemic-racism-is-real
    You can read back on all 10k posts on this thread and watch those videos and read those links.
    You can google "systemic racism in the US" and spend some time learning
    You can watch 13th on Netflix

Off you go.

My kid has a bloody tooth I've got to deal with as the wife gets squeamish so duty calls. Wouldn't want to be accused of disappearing again, and besides, it's going to take you some time to learn about systemic racism so catch up with you later. Sure it will be interesting. Night folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,321 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

2u2me wrote: »
    You obviously missed this post. What you are recommending is a politically charged pile of sh1te. Every other review of it is either 10/10 or 3/10.

The Wire on the other hand has been admitted as one of the best pieces of fiction to come out of the US in decades. I bet you haven't seen that have you?

The 13th was informational documentary and The Wire is fictional entertainment. There’s no meaningful equivocation of the two.

But sure I think everyone would be served by watching several hours of LivePD I’m sure you can find it online.

I would even after all these years, have The Wire above Breaking bad, thats how highly I rated it.

I have the complete set and every couple of years I binge watch it.

because of better call saul I recently binge watched the entire breaking bad.

You in fact did say that they worked together and you said this and I quote:
    "In fact it is as likely it was a personal issue not a racial issue."

do you know what the work likely means ?
    A fact that something is likely is not a fact.

Is English your first language ?

Overheal wrote: »
    The 13th was informational documentary and The Wire is fictional entertainment. There’s no meaningful equivocation of the two.

But sure I think everyone would be served by watching several hours of LivePD I’m sure you can find it online.

Yeah it got it's information wrong. That's when I stopped watching. That's why it's received so many bad reviews.

The work of fiction has been described as the most accurate snapshot of american culture ever taken by many. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a 9/10 rating on the wire page of reviews.

Why is this so important?

13th paints the picture that there is a racial nasty element and undertone to everything we do and say. We're all out to get the blacks all the time. Unfortunately this just doesn't stack up in reality as white,latino,asian people are also hit by those same laws. It painted Nixon's war on drugs as a war on race; I posted about that here.

The wire on the other hands paints a picture of a country with failed drugs laws. How every institution in society(education/media/unions/police) has a hand to play in reenforcing this vicious never ending cycle of drugs and prisons.

The Wire offers solutions without ever telling you what to think. 13th is trying to tell you what to think without offering up solutions.

BLACK men. You forgot the important element: BLACK men.

Why is it generally black men and not black women that get racially discriminated on by this invisible system of racism? Oh and any exceptions will prove the rule so don't waste time throwing out that Breonna what's her face as an attempt to refute the argument.

Are the police simultaneosly racist but only against blacks and sexist but only against black men.

Or could it be that black men show so little respect and resist the police so much that any little altercation inevitably escalates into a violent situation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

It's been cancelled just like everything else, no new episodes :(

To become incarcerated you need to commit a crime. (however menial)
    There is an element of choice.

Slaves commit no crimes and had no choice.

I appreciate that's the liberal logic behind it but it's still saying its okay - and I am not of the opinion that slavery is okay. Prison should be about separation from society for the protection of them and the public, their sentence of time, and rehabilitation and social re-integration. Instead this philosophical loophole generates a for-profit reason to proliferate a 2nd class of imprisoned human beings instead of eliminating recidivism.

It's been cancelled just like everything else, no new episodes :(
    I know but you can probably find archives somewhere. There are 300 x 3 hours of episodes, in addition to other LivePD related timeslots that showcase recordings that didn't air live.

Yeah it got it's information wrong.

What did it get wrong?

What did it get wrong?

I'm going to assume you missed this post but for the life of me I can't see how you missed the reference to that post again, in that quote of mine that you removed.

Why don't you try responding to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Since we seem to becoming TV reviewers, I must admit to finding common ground with some.
    The wire is indeed one of the best TV shows ever made.

I haven't got around to watching the 13th yet, but will do.

The American penal system is well known to be barbaric. It is just another example where the rest of the developed world have moved on and progressed while America is still regressive.

Cheap/unpaid labour, death row, death penalty, ridiculously long sentences are all part of the American system.

Prisoners should not be slaves.

Purely punitive no concept of rehabilitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Yeah it got it's information wrong. That's when I stopped watching. That's why it's received so many bad reviews.

The work of fiction has been described as the most accurate snapshot of american culture ever taken by many. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a 9/10 rating on the wire page of reviews.

Why is this so important?

13th paints the picture that there is a racial nasty element and undertone to everything we do and say. We're all out to get the blacks all the time. Unfortunately this just doesn't stack up in reality as white,latino,asian people are also hit by those same laws. It painted Nixon's war on drugs as a war on race; I posted about that here.

The wire on the other hands paints a picture of a country with failed drugs laws. How every institution in society(education/media/unions/police) has a hand to play in reenforcing this vicious never ending cycle of drugs and prisons.

The Wire offers solutions without ever telling you what to think. 13th is trying to tell you what to think without offering up solutions.

The 13th has 97% score on rotten tomatoes, 8.2 on IMDb. It would not get scores like that if a documentary was factually wrong. Facts can be checked.

The wire was great and a social commentary. The two shows don't contradict each other. I don't understand this debate.

I'm going to assume you missed this post but for the life of me I can't see how you missed the reference to that post again, in that quote of mine that you removed.

Why don't you try responding to that.

So nothing factually wrong with the information presented.

joe40 wrote: »
    The 13th has 97% score on rotten tomatoes, 8.2 on IMDb. It would not get scores like that if a documentary was factually wrong. Facts can be checked.

The wire was great and a social commentary. The two shows don't contradict each other. I don't understand this debate.

To me its like recommending Criminal Minds - like yeah it's a neat show but its fiction; or like me telling someone to get their facts about the Selma protests all primarily from the movie Selma.

• Advertisement

joe40 wrote: »

Every statement in the 13th every statistic is loaded, without balance is the best way I could describe it. About 1/3 of the reviews on IMDB of it are crticizing it for 'wildly inaccurate statistics' 'interesting but extremely bias' 'half facts/half progaganda' 'another narrative before facts' 'Warning: lies and half truths'

It's available on youtube for free when you do get around to watching it let us know what you think.

So nothing factually wrong with the information presented.

Sometimes I think you are a fair and balance minded person, but then I see posts like this from you.

The claim in the 13th that you are parroting is that Nixon's "war on drugs" was in fact a "war on race" so easily disproven.
    Do you care that only far left sjw's believe this crap? Even most moderate leftists denounce this ****e like the link I provided to you from vox.

The best you have to say is 'nothing factually wrong'. You keep living with your head in the sand Overheal.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

As we've gone over 10,000 posts, we'll continue the conversation here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058087162#

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement