Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Are there many reported deaths due to the looting and rioting?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

walshb wrote: »
    Are there many reported deaths due to the looting and rioting?

One apparently shot outside a pawn shop yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

This has to be one of the most uneducated comments Iv read on boards for a while. A massive misappropriation of Irish history, equating our history with that of the dire situation in the US at the moment is sensationalism at its finest.

Our history was clearly worse than the US at the moment at least their internal situation, if not as bad as US history at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

seamus wrote: »
    I don't think this is going away.

If there was any semi-competent adult in the White House, this could be worked on, but while you've got a racist moron there, he's only going to stoke the fire with "tough talk" and viral soundbites. People are already in a low mood between lockdowns and soaring unemployment, and now unchecked systemic racism is being given a free pass in full public view.

I won't be surprised if we start seeing similar events kick off in other US cities over the coming days.

Maybe, although one thing I noticed just before this incident is that there has been fewer anti-police riots under Trump than Obama.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

FVP3 wrote: »
    I mean our history was clearly worse than the US at the moment at least internally, if not as bad as US history at the time.

Elaborate please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Now it’s less certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

This has to be one of the most uneducated comments Iv read on boards for a while. A massive misappropriation of Irish history, equating our history with that of the dire situation in the US at the moment is sensationalism at its finest.

How exactly did I equate our history to what is going on there. I just hinted at anyone who has read about the oppression of the English on our ancestors should spot what is happening now. And my post must be the only one you read on this thread, consider others are advocating the shooting of more people. Actually Don't bother replying to me as I'm done with this thread it is sickening the views expressed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

FVP3 wrote: »
    Maybe, although one thing I noticed just before this incident is that there has been fewer anti-police riots under Trump than Obama.

The rise of fascism took center stage. However, I don’t believe it’s true that there have been appreciably fewer riots. In the same time, there were 10 riots under Obama, and there have been 8 under Trump. According to Wikipedia. This doesn’t seem like a great count though. For example there were multiple riots last night - in California, Minnesota and Kentucky, and not all for the same reason. Range and scope of cities or states involved in other riots is less clear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incidents_of_civil_unrest_in_the_United_States

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Proof that Leftists are constantly looking for things to be outraged about.

Gatling wrote: »
    One apparently shot outside a pawn shop yesterday

Yes, heard about that one.

If it only is one then they can count themselves lucky.....The place looks mangled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Overheal wrote: »
    The rise of fascism took center stage. However, I don’t believe it’s true that there have been appreciably fewer riots. In the same time, there were 10 riots under Obama, and there have been 8 under Trump. According to Wikipedia. This doesn’t seem like a great count though. For example there were multiple riots last night - in California, Minnesota and Kentucky, and not all for the same reason. Range and scope of cities or states involved in other riots is less clear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incidents_of_civil_unrest_in_the_United_States

"The Rise of Facism" Shouldn't that belong in the ranting and raving forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Why do the police find it so hard to not kill unarmed black people?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,048 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Now it’s less certain.

Only thing I saw in that video was the cop leaning harder as to not only cut off his breathing, but his ability to speak.

Charger the murderer and suddenly the protests stop. Not complicated, geez.

Let the jury decide when it goes to court

My sum up to Jury

'' lets go back to that day. Lets imagine for a second that George was indeed resisting arrest, lets imagine he did overpower Derek Chauvin, lets imagine he was the one pinning Derek to the ground, lets imagine he knelt on Derek's neck, and kept it there using the full weight of his body until Derek was dead. Now ask yourself, what would your verdict be if George was the one in the dock, and Derek was the one who died that day. The defence rests''

Charger the murderer and suddenly the protests stop. Not complicated, geez.

The system does not work like this....And many rioters don't work like this. Because many are not rioting because of the death of that poor man. They are using him as an excuse to riot

I really dislike Trump, but he was kind of right in what he said about the looters and rioters dishonoring George's name

What kind of people destroy themselves and others to make a point?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭Odhinn

The system does not work like this....And many rioters don't work like this. Because many are not rioting because of the death of that poor man. They are using him as an excuse to riot

I really dislike Trump, but he was kind of right in what he said about the looters and rioters dishonoring George's name

Do please tell us.

Odhinn wrote: »
    Do please tell us.

I’ll revert to Donald on this. Thugs!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Agreed Bren. Scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

People who have been facedwith the same brutality and racism again and again and feel they have no other choice maybe? Nothing to lose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭Odhinn

People getting angry over decades of similar incidents acting in a less than coherent manner. They arrested a CNN crew but there's no sign as of yet of an arrest of any of the cops involved.

'A riot is the language of the unheard': M.L.K

They've few options.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Had a peep at twitter while I was on the throne.
    Wow. I post some argumentive stuff here but the state of the posters I came across.

Black folk saying things like all whites are racist and blacks built the country with their blood.

White folks telling them to get out, posting crime statistics etc.

Race wars are imminent. America is in real trouble. If I was a powerful Chinese or Russian leader I would stoke the **** out of this situation and cause as much division as possible

Check this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Christy42

People who feel they will be ignored if the don't.

Remember Trump declared anyone who kneels peacefully should be fired from the nfl. All who did it (and there was plenty more than Kaep) were derided as unamerican.

Discussion was shot down as they "protested in the wrong way". If people feel attacked and no one listens they will eventually turn violent. Even with MLK there was plenty of violence in the 60s- Trump himself quoted one of the people who was breaking up civil rights movements when referring to his own involvement here. There was violence in the North in the 70s. It is a common feature throughout history. I am not condoning those rioting or setting fires but you can see why it is happening.

A good leader would have focused on the good. He was able to find fine people in a rally with a load of nazis. Here he just sees thugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Now it’s less certain.

Also notice that there is no bystanders on the footpath, and George is already complaining of not being able to breathe. Makes it a bit foolish of needing more evidence to know what went on before the video started.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Of course they are thugs, they are just a group of incompetent people who explain away their social status such as it is on discrimination. Rubbish. We have those type of ppl here to, not black. They are all the same no matter what color skin they have, whatever country. Well, except in totalitarian states where they are controlled.

I wouldn't work as a police officer in the states for anything. Could you imagine being a white officer going to some black gyetto trying to sort whatever crime, especially with all this hyper anti-white man PC correctness going on in the background. You'd want to be desperate to take that job on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Nermal

MadYaker wrote: »
    People who have been facedwith the same brutality and racism again and again and feel they have no other choice maybe? Nothing to lose

Always 'society' to blame, even when your ideology has captured every institution in society. Never the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Doge

Doge wrote: »
    I’m seeing some interesting posts on Facebook.

There was a man dressed in all black with a gas mask with purple filter covers, carrying a black umbrella in a saved live video (that is still doing the rounds) smashing the windows in the AutoZone retail outlet and thus instigating the destruction / riot.
    A protester confronted him asking if he was a cop and he shrugged and walked away.

The post also shows close photos of the mans face along with a photo of a local sergeant who is suspected to have been undercover carrying out the vandalism, and also screenshots of a suspected messenger conversation from his wife and a friend who supposedly identified him in wearing her gas mask.

I know screenshots can be faked but Ii will be interesting to see if it’s confirmed to be him and what the outcome will be.

Okay here's the video of the guy I was on about smashing the windows of Autozone.

Very odd indeed.

People suspect him of spraying the graffiti on the red doors / gate also.

101047954_10218000841238826_4765400557194051584_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=UDjTSPLO5DwAX_Wepsj&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=359389652bfb1f6f91f6f52b5a82e57f&oe=5EF63470

St. Paul’s Police Chief of Police responded to the person who posted it saying it wasn't the officer in question that was named and suspected and to take down his photos.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Hunger strikers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Doge wrote: »
    Okay here's the video of the guy I was on about smashing the windows of Autozone.

Very odd indeed.

People suspect him of spraying the graffiti on the red doors / gate also.

101047954_10218000841238826_4765400557194051584_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=UDjTSPLO5DwAX_Wepsj&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=359389652bfb1f6f91f6f52b5a82e57f&oe=5EF63470

St. Paul’s Police Chief of Police responded to the person who posted it saying it wasn't the officer in question that was named and suspected and to take down his photos.

You would just pay some crack head to do it. Police wouldn't risk doing it themselves.

Could possibly be a lone individual hoping to instigate further riots and mayhem for his own personal pleasure

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement