Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

The riots in Minneapolis and other cities in the US seem to be very similar to the riots in Northern Ireland in 1969 by Catholics/nationalists after the Loyalists and RUC attacked people in the Bogside area of Derry during the Peace Democracy marches, which was the start of the Troubles. If this continues, the US risks descending into something similar with sectarian/racial warfare and paramilitaries attacking each other and terrorising the general population.

African Americans already commit over 50% of the homicides yet make up less than 13% of the population.
    Maybe they have started already

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I could be wrong here...but I believe he was referring to the looters...you know looters who are making people unsafe...I'd imagine there are honest law abiding African Americans at home terrified of rioters/looters.

Unless you think that all the African Americans are out rioting and looting....

Yes, of course, they'll surgically only shoot the looters (not a capital crime, btw) and leave peaceful protestors, journalists and people trying to get home alone.

Or, as shown by recent evidence, a lot of innocent people would get killed, egged on by the commander in chief

• Registered Users Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

ElmoLaw wrote: »
    the whole city is rioting - not one particular community or race of people - everyone - because everyone is angry. Trump is obviously referring to the looters. Trump is just a side piece on this - he is a symptom of the structural and systematic racism in american society. i frankly couldnt give a damn what trump says or doesnt say about George Floyd - its a deeper issue that Trump's twitter feed isnt going to fix or offer any insight into. what people do care about is seeing these so called cops charged with a crime and not just fired.

Where is the structural and systematic racism though...they are 50 years into Affirmative action across education and employment.

Maybe they are just voting for the wrong politicians...or making poor life choices...its one or the other or an element of both.

who is this THEY that you keep referring to - them and they....

What?

Are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

Gatling wrote: »
    Wonder if Putin and the Saudis will be watching too

The Skibereen eagle will be keeping a close eye on the Minneapolis police.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

Blueshoe wrote: »
    African Americans already commit over 50% of the homicides yet make up less than 13% of the population.

lets fact check your statement https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-black-americans-commit-crime

Where is the structural and systematic racism though...they are 50 years into Affirmative action across education and employment.

Maybe they are just voting for the wrong politicians...or making poor life choices...its one or the other or an element of both.

let me guess - you are white and male and not american.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Blueshoe wrote: »

Careful now. I posted a question regarding 13% but it was mysteriously deleted by someone.

Well we are on an Irish online forum...but tell me, what does my skin colour, gender or nationality have to do with it...

Careful now. I posted a question regarding 13% but it was mysteriously deleted by someone.

here is a fact checker https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...s-commit-crime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Billy Mays wrote: »
    I'm gonna have to know this guy Floyd's criminal history before I decide whether the cop should be charged with his death or should walk away scott free icon14.png

WHAAAATTT?

Why?

EDIT: I get it.....your being sarcastic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Article is way too long. Scanning through it seems to confirm the statistics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

The department of justice have confirmed these figures.
    I'd like to see the journal.ie factcheck of these figures.

Journal.ie: Donald Trump commited 52% of homicides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Why mention "white" if he isn't American?

The people who side with the American whites here, and the people who use the term "white" to refer to Irish people in this context are all colonised by American hegemony.

I mean Im sure stuff is going down in Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The US has problems on a race front.

Guess how many Black Senators have ever been elected throughout the entire US since the foundation of the state?

I'll give you a hint, not enough to make up a football team which is rather inexplicable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭GY_1980

These riots will lead to the destruction of this area. Businesses which were already struggling will permanently close. Others will leave. Investment in the area will be curtailed. Those who can move will, those who can’t will suffer. Crime will rise, drug problems will rise.

They’re even burning down affordable housing developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

This is what happens when you live in a militarized police state run by and full of psychopaths.

I've long believed true change in the States can only be achieved by drastic paramilitary action by US citizens.

This would sadly descend into a full blown civil war as the country is too divided to unite for the right causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

The US has problems on a race front.

Guess how many Black Senators have ever been elected throughout the entire US since the foundation of the state?

I'll give you a hint, not enough to make up a football team which is rather inexplicable

In Europe the right tries to get immigrants and minorities to abandon their original culture and assimilate into their dominant culture and society (none of the multicultural rubbish), whether they be from other European cultures, from the Middle East, or from Africa.

In the United States the right tries to actively prevent black Americans from assimilating into their culture and society, and have been doing this since the end of slavery in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

GY_1980 wrote: »
    These riots will lead to the destruction of this area. Businesses which were already struggling will permanently close. Others will leave. Investment in the area will be curtailed. Those who can move will, those who can’t will suffer. Crime will rise, drug problems will rise.

See: Detroit in 1967.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

GY_1980 wrote: »

People are willingly destroying themselves and their communities.

And the people that are not, need to be protected from the people that are.

Serious efforts from law enforcement needed here to crush this insurrection.

One bad incident cannot allow this type of reaction to be acceptable.

Because then every incident that is bad, or even perceived to be bad, and people can go out and destroy?

• Advertisement

Well we are on an Irish online forum...but tell me, what does my skin colour, gender or nationality have to do with it...

because of your privilege - i seriously dont want to get into an argument but maybe just think about it for a moment. George Floyd fit a description of a person who supposedly had a counterfeit bill of 20usd and ended up being arrested for it - in your wildest dreams could you ever imagine this happening to you. I bet you can walk down the street and expect not to be questioned because a cop thinks you look suspicious. This is how black men in america are treated by the cops. Just because this problem doesnt exist for you - doesnt mean it isnt happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Trump has left journalists sitting there for an hour now waiting just out of spite.

Pathetic man child.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

In the United States the right tries to actively prevent black Americans from assimilating into their culture and society, and have been doing this since the end of slavery in the US.
    I haven't heard that particular argument before, not saying youre wrong but how do the right achieve this?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Trump has left journalists sitting there for an hour now waiting just out of spite.

Pathetic man child.

A fooking cretin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭GY_1980

walshb wrote: »
    People are willingly destroying themselves and their communities.

And the people that are not, need to be protected from the people that are.

Serious efforts from law enforcement needed here to crush this insurrection.

One bad incident cannot allow this type of reaction to be acceptable.

Because then every incident that is bad, or even perceived to be bad, and people can go out and destroy?

I’ve seen a few reports that many of the rioters are not from the area. They’re coming from outside and burning the community to the ground.

because of your privilege - i seriously dont want to get into an argument but maybe just think about it for a moment. George Floyd fit a description of a person who supposedly had a counterfeit bill of 20usd and ended up being arrested for it - in your wildest dreams could you ever imagine this happening to you. I bet you can walk down the street and not expect someone to question you because they think you look suspicious. This is how black men in america are treated by the cops. Just because this problem doesnt exist for you - doesnt mean it isnt happening.

My privilege? Will you stop with that identity politics kool aid please!!!

If the cities that are prone to rioting are anything to go by, they need to elect different politicians because the root causes of all of this are clearly not being addressed....there have been riots like this for over 40 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

walshb wrote: »
    A fooking cretin!!

makes you wonder why the dems are sending a man in clear mental decline against him in November. wheres my tin hat...

• Advertisement

I haven't heard that particular argument before, not saying youre wrong but how do the right achieve this?

It seems, the "right" make them live in cities run by the "left"!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement