Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The other 3 officers will surely face sanctions as well?

All involved..

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

My privilege? Will you stop with that identity politics kool aid please!!!

If the cities that are prone to rioting are anything to go by, they need to elect different politicians because the root causes of all of this are clearly not being addressed....there have been riots like this for over 40 years.

im talking about the fact that you said there is no racism in america and then you poster on about affirmative action. im simply stating its your privilege that is not allowing you to see it. just because its normal for you not to be harassed by the cops doesnt mean people aren't harassed. i am not taking about the protests/riots. anyway i dont care the cop who did this was arrested on murder charges so hopefully justice will prevail in this very sad case.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is 3rd degree murder the lowest on the scale? Whats the likely sentence on conviction?

and whats the deal with being arrested for 3rd degree murder and also manslaughter?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭Odhinn

He just fucked off after talking about China.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Cheyena

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

ElmoLaw wrote: »

Yes lets do that,

From the article you posted "It’s true that around 13 per cent of Americans are black, according to the latest estimates from the US Census Bureau.

And yes, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, black offenders committed 52 per cent of homicides recorded in the data between 1980 and 2008"

FBI stats here to confirm.
    https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/tables/table-43

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Cheyena

ONG KONG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

im talking about the fact that you said there is no racism in america and then you poster on about affirmative action. im simply stating its your privilege that is not allowing you to see it. just because its normal for you not to be harassed by the cops doesnt mean people aren't harassed. i am not taking about the protests/riots. anyway i dont care the cop who did this was arrested on murder charges so hopefully justice will prevail in this very sad case.

Hang on a minute now.

You said there was systematic and structural racism in the States...I asked you where...at which point you started prattling on about my privilege.

And lets not pretend we don't know what you mean by privilege ...it is a passive aggressive term used to try and dismiss my opinion because you disagree with it!!!

Can you point to the institutes or laws that are "structurally and systematically" racist?

Yes lets do that,

From the article you posted "It’s true that around 13 per cent of Americans are black, according to the latest estimates from the US Census Bureau.

And yes, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, black offenders committed 52 per cent of homicides recorded in the data between 1980 and 2008"

FBI stats here to confirm.
    https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/tables/table-43

while those stats are true, the majority of those homicide victims are also black so there's no political capital to be made from highlighting that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

because of your privilege - i seriously dont want to get into an argument but maybe just think about it for a moment. George Floyd fit a description of a person who supposedly had a counterfeit bill of 20usd and ended up being arrested for it - in your wildest dreams could you ever imagine this happening to you. I bet you can walk down the street and not expect someone to question you because they think you look suspicious. This is how black men in america are treated by the cops. Just because this problem doesnt exist for you - doesnt mean it isnt happening.

I don't want to downplay the role of racism in the US but that isn't the full story.

The problem is that the police are corrupt in the US and are abusing their powers and acting that they are above the law, and the police have unions that would rather protect their fellow police even if they do illegal ****e rather than kick them out. The police who killed George Floyd was involved in numerous similar incidents in the past and was reported for it, yet their fellow police protected him and he got off without any repercussions. And the police could be Chinese, Indian, Pakistani, Vietnamese, Arab, or African American and the story wouldn't change.

In addition the police in the US have become more militarised in the past few years in the cities (less like the Gardai and more like the nonexistent Defence Forces), meaning that the US police view themselves not as protecting the local community but rather as an occupation force on conquered land. This is especially true in poor communities and African American communities and the communities largely have the same view of the situation as the US police do.

• Advertisement

To the few, admittedly, posters, but nevertheless Complete bastards- on this thread who tried to justify the officers actions- you racist piece of sh1te- rot in hell - I hope your so called “hero” gets 100 years without parole

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8370537/Minneapolis-police-officer-Derek-Chavin-taken-custody.html

I don't want to downplay the role of racism in the US but that isn't the full story.

The problem is that the police are corrupt in the US and are abusing their powers and acting that they are above the law, and the police have unions that would rather protect their fellow police even if they do illegal ****e rather than kick them out. The police who killed George Floyd was involved in numerous similar incidents in the past and was reported for it, yet their fellow police protected him and he got off without any repercussions. And the police could be Chinese, Indian, Pakistani, Vietnamese, Arab, or African American and the story wouldn't change.

In addition the police in the US have become more militarised in the past few years in the cities (less like the Gardai and more like the nonexistent Defence Forces), meaning that the US police view themselves not as protecting the local community but rather as an occupation force on conquered land. This is especially true in poor communities and African American communities and the communities largely have the same view of the situation as the US police do.
    hopefully things might change a little bit now that this cop has just been charged with 3rd degree murder - action is being taking at least

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

while those stats are true, the majority of those homicide victims are also black so there's no political capital to be made from highlighting that issue.

In nearly every society, including Ireland, poverty and crime especially violent crime go hand in hand. Gang crime in America follows same pattern as gang crime in Ireland poorer areas are the worst affected.
    This does not mean all poor people are criminals, far from it, it just means it is more prevalent in their areas.
    Within living memory you had segregation in America, some people can remember actual lynchings. It will take a long time to overcome all that racial discrimination.
    A militarised police force and easy access to guns is making the whole thing extremely volatile.
    Throw in a idiot, racist president it is a perfect storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

hopefully things might change a little bit now that this cop has just been charged with 3rd degree murder - action is being taking at least

Hopefully, a big part of the issue is that policemen get away with it. If more are charged and have to face the consequences then hopefully things will change.

Odhinn wrote: »
    He just fucked off after talking about China.

My goodness.

What a speech. Was be reading off an autocue?

I have never heard him, or anyone for that matter rattle off a more measured and articulate and to the point speech...

Even if it was ridiculously combative...

WTF is going on in the U.S.?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

GY_1980 wrote: »
    I’ve seen a few reports that many of the rioters are not from the area. They’re coming from outside and burning the community to the ground.
    A number of videos have appeared online showing white guys turning up to places where there are no rioters, their faces covered, smashing windows or setting fires and then walking away.

One has tentatively been identified as a Minneapolis police officer.

There's half decent evidence that some of the destruction is being done by white supremacists trying to discredit the protests.

Hopefully, a big part of the issue is that policemen get away with it. If more are charged and have to face the consequences then hopefully things will change.

exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

It seems, the "right" make them live in cities run by the "left"!!!

Even if there was a shred of truth to that statement no one is forcing to vote "Left" time after time for decades on end.

joe40 wrote: »
    In nearly every society, including Ireland, poverty and crime especially violent crime go hand in hand. Gang crime in America follows same pattern as gang crime in Ireland poorer areas are the worst affected.
    This does not mean all poor people are criminals, far from it, it just means it is more prevalent in their areas.
    Within living memory you had segregation in America, some people can remember actual lynchings. It will take a long time to overcome all that racial discrimination.
    A militarised police force and easy access to guns is making the whole thing extremely volatile.
    Throw in a idiot, racist president it is a perfect storm.

Poor cultural attitudes to education, high social welfare dependency and family dysfunction affect people today much more than what happened to the grand parents 50 years ago....the abandonment of personal responsibility in education, diet, work and family is a problem that a person with will can overcome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

• Advertisement

In Europe the right tries to get immigrants and minorities to abandon their original culture and assimilate into their dominant culture and society (none of the multicultural rubbish), whether they be from other European cultures, from the Middle East, or from Africa.

In the United States the right tries to actively prevent black Americans from assimilating into their culture and society, and have been doing this since the end of slavery in the US.

There it is. The dumbest thing I've read on the internet all day.

Eh I wouldn’t “downplay racism” in America if I were you

20% African Americans in the town where this occurred but yet 60% of all police brutality complaints are African American related

Blueshoe wrote: »

And people actually think that these people give a flying fook about George Floyd...

It’s vile to see people behave like this. Disgusting!

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Even if there was a shred of truth to that statement no one is forcing to vote "Left" time after time for decades on end.

I'm sorry, I thought it was obvious there wasn't a shred of truth to my statement, I am well aware that no one is forced to vote Democrat.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    There it is. The dumbest thing I've read on the internet all day.

I’m actually interested in that post and where it comes from- what aspect do you disagree with?

Poor cultural attitudes to education, high social welfare dependency and family dysfunction affect people today much more than what happened to the grand parents 50 years ago....the abandonment of personal responsibility in education, diet, work and family is a problem that a person with will can overcome.

And Bill Clinton's prison bill that took many Black Fathers out of the home didn't help. Many youngsters [Black and White] that end up in prison have one thing in common. No Father at home. Atleast Trump is rectifying that with his Prison reform bill that will let them return to their families.

I’m actually interested in that post and where it comes from- what aspect do you disagree with?

How is the "right" preventing anyone from assimilating into society? Multiculturalism is based on laziness, selfishness and a determination to fragment our society.

seamus wrote: »
    A number of videos have appeared online showing white guys turning up to places where there are no rioters, their faces covered, smashing windows or setting fires and then walking away.

One has tentatively been identified as a Minneapolis police officer.

There's half decent evidence that some of the destruction is being done by white supremacists trying to discredit the protests.

I would have though these were antifa types?

Blueshoe wrote: »
    well thats just theft. However lockdown has left a lot of people struggling...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

The cop at the center of the 'attack' was taken into custody.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement