Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Overheal wrote: »
    An absolute riot of its own when you go at the same time as a 100-strong kids day camp. They shut down the tasting room, kids would grab a cup, fill it to the brim with some crazy Korean flavor, take a sip, and then smash the drink on the ground in rejection. Pour another flavor. They shut it down for cleaning, before that it felt like a spacewalk with sticky boots.

I wonder if they still have the all-you-can-drink giant fountains that squirt the drink high up and straight down in to your cup.

Loved that.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I wonder if they still have the all-you-can-drink giant fountains that squirt the drink high up and straight down in to your cup.

Loved that.

We were there in 2018 and I definitely didn’t see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Here?

According to twitter, we are the same apparently.........:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We were there in 2018 and I definitely didn’t see that.

I was there a few years before (2014). Maybe they have changed some stuff since.

You placed your cup in a holder, press the button and the liquid shoots up in to the air and in to the cup without so much as a splash (and it was any flavor you could think of). You could take as much as you wanted.

Still, loved it myself. I'm a big coke head. :cool:

Must be great for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Professor Cornel West with a powerful speech on CNN half an hour ago.

References Samuel Beckett: "that's the Blues line of our Irish brothers"

https://twitter.com/BethLynch2020/status/1266540387356868609?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,682 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Professor Cornel West with a powerful speech on CNN half an hour ago.

References Samuel Beckett: "that's the Blues line of our Irish brothers"

https://twitter.com/BethLynch2020/status/1266540387356868609?s=20

Great speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

A black man innocently murdered, a pandemic, millions out of work, a divisive president who does his best to stoke tensions and an armed population on edge.

Sure what can go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭GY_1980

Reports of a woman found dead in the back of car stopped in the middle of a street in Minneapolis. Suspicious death report. No link to riots yet.

Tucker Carlson reached alllll the way up the butthole of bull**** mountain to workshop this faux outrage trying to link not violently cracking down on protestors (ie. ‘Placating them’) to I **** you not, building permits for decks.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/tucker-carlson-rant-expresses-outrage-over-leaders-pandering-to-thugs-while-normal-people-need-permit-to-put-a-deck-on-your-own-house/

FTR: you need a permit if you live in and expect a jurisdiction to protect your life or property. household smoke alarms aren’t suggestions and neither are guard rails.

It shows how out of touch he is: the most outrageous encounter with the law in Tucker Carlson’s day is that he had to file a permit for a new deck. Clearly he is a prime victim of fascists.

• Advertisement

Tucker Carlson reached alllll the way up the butthole of bull**** mountain to workshop this faux outrage trying to link not violently cracking down on protestors (ie. ‘Placating them’) to I **** you not, building permits for decks.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/tucker-carlson-rant-expresses-outrage-over-leaders-pandering-to-thugs-while-normal-people-need-permit-to-put-a-deck-on-your-own-house/

FTR: you need a permit if you live in and expect a jurisdiction to protect your life or property. household smoke alarms aren’t suggestions and neither are guard rails.

It shows how out of touch he is: the most outrageous encounter with the law in Tucker Carlson’s day is that he had to file a permit for a new deck. Clearly he is a prime victim of fascists.

He’s correct on the lack of leadership in Minneapolis over the last few nights. Even Governor Walz has admitted he failed the people of the community.

The National Guard arrived on Thursday to the city but were stood down which allowed the rioters to destroy the community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

Will the fact that asphyxiation wasn't the cause of death but rather existing heart conditions coupled with the stress of arrest and "potential intoxicants" mean that all cops involved in restraining him will be charged the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,092 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

GY_1980 wrote: »
    He’s correct on the lack of leadership in Minneapolis over the last few nights. Even Governor Walz has admitted he failed the people of the community.

The National Guard arrived on Thursday to the city but were stood down which allowed the rioters to destroy the community.

Yeah Tucker can be dire, but I get his gist somewhat, he did say the other night the protests were understandable and their was no attempt to defend the cop who murdered Floyd.

Its a mess really, rioting and ruining your community on paper is pretty ****ing naive, but very easy to play monday morning quarterback when your community hasn't been on the receiving end of decades of oppression from power and often the police.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Yeah Tucker can be dire, but I get his gist somewhat, he did say the other night the protests were understandable and their was no attempt to defend the cop who murdered Floyd.

Its a mess really, rioting and ruining your community on paper is pretty ****ing naive, but very easy to play monday morning quarterback when your community hasn't been on the receiving end of decades of oppression from power and often the police.

Won’t be much of a community left in that area after this. When all the media, rioters, etc. are gone, they will have to pick up the pieces.

Following the news tonight and it seems most of the Community Police, State police, and National Guard have withdrawn from the area. That’s devastating.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Things kicking off in Washington and Cincinnati.

This could get very nasty very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

This is ****ing nuts. What do the protesters at the white house think will happen if they push too far? They've already injured a secret service agent.

We had a protest here but it seems to have remained peaceful. As far as I know the protesters have dispersed now. All people care about is getting their jobs back here, which is about to start happening, not wrecking the place.

Also, social distancing out the window. I hope we don't see a resurgence of covid. A lot of places were doing well

GY_1980 wrote: »
    Won’t be much of a community left in that area after this. When all the media, rioters, etc. are gone, they will have to pick up the pieces.

Following the news tonight and it seems most of the Community Police, State police, and National Guard have withdrawn from the area. That’s devastating.

That’s what CNN is saying on their live feed. That the curfew went into effect 3.5 hours ago and instead of protestors leaving, the police did from many locations around the city. The crowds are waxing, slowly. There appears to be hot spots near the 5th precinct building. Burning down a bank next door.

Riot squad in downtown LA using flash bang launchers. Lots of car horns blaring. But no real physical clashes between LAPD and the movement.

https://twitter.com/mentnelson/status/1266562774118907904

Killer Mike as usual is very much worth a listen on this.

Its a very moving speech.

Very physical clashes in front of the White House not long ago. Secret Service seemed to get it to De-escalate.

Very physical clashes in front of the White House not long ago. Secret Service seemed to get it to De-escalate.

The Secret Service for most part are trained in restraint much more than police on the streets, but news floating around online some getting hurt by bricks, not sure they will tolerate this much more longer with the protesters who themselves don't realise who they are ****ing with.

• Advertisement

Apparently Trump has authorized military police to enter Minneapolis. Its a bit weird how the national guard and state police seemed to completely retreat. Maybe this explains it. The situation there is completely out of control. I hope the rioters get the hell out of there before then because I don't think the military will mess around :(

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Apparently Trump has authorized military police to enter Minneapolis. Its a bit weird how the national guard and state police seemed to completely retreat. Maybe this explains it. The situation there is completely out of control. I hope the rioters get the hell out of there before then because I don't think the military will mess around :(

My initial impression of the Minneapolois mayor is really unimpressive in how he has handled this.

And before some says I am some Trumper:pac:, I think Keisha Lance Bottoms has been hugely impressive in Atlanta.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

This is getting very scary.

My initial impression of the Minneapolois mayor is really unimpressive in how he has handled this.

And before some says I am some Trumper:pac:, I think Keisha Lance Bottoms has been hugely impressive in Atlanta.

I watched her speaking earlier. She was very impressive. Saw images of the College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta destroyed and looted too.

This has long ago moved from protesting the death of Floyd to just vandalism, looting, robbery, and destruction. And it’s the poorer neighborhoods and small businesses that will suffer.

Like they are literally burning the whole city down. I don't agree with shooting people but they have to make some attempt to stop it and it seems like they have just left them to it. What is going to happen after this? How many lives and businesses destroyed that can never be rebuilt?

Edit: and now they are burning down houses. Ffs. Its time to put a stop to this

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Like they are literally burning the whole city down. I don't agree with shooting people but they have to make some attempt to stop it and it seems like they have just left them to it. What is going to happen after this? How many lives and businesses destroyed that can never be rebuilt?

I really really don't want to smear the protesters who for the most part are peaceful and most certainly in the right when it comes to this,,,,,,

but their will always be a small element and its mainly white young anarchists who will see this as a chance to create absolute chaos. They don't care about minority businesses or community whatsoever.

Ultimately this will likely lead to more heavy handed police violence and small communities who were struggling due to covid even more ****ed.

I really really don't want to smear the protesters who for the most part are peaceful and most certainly in the right when it comes to this,,,,,,

but their will always be a small element and its mainly white young anarchists who will see this as a chance to create absolute chaos. They don't care about minority businesses or community whatsoever.

Ultimately this will likely lead to more heavy handed police violence and small communities who were struggling due to covid even more ****ed.

The people I see aren't mainly white. They arent all black though. It doesn't matter, they are destroying communities now. They absolutely have the right and good reason to protest, but this isn't that.

But yes, I agree with the last bit. The good people there don't deserve this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I think trump is dumb enough to push this too far. Blanket arrests military police etc. I think it will push the movement further into radical territory.

If trump wins next nov ....America will be a diff country in 4 yrs.

I think trump is dumb enough to push this too far. Blanket arrests military police etc. I think it will push the movement further into radical territory.

If trump wins next nov ....America will be a diff country in 4 yrs.

Trump push it too far? I think its already gone too far what with an entire city on the way to being burned to the ground. How do you suggest that the situation is diffused at this stage? It's out of control. So, what, are they supposed to just be allowed to wreck the place because they might get worse if they try to stop them? And, oh no, trump might get reelected which is irrelevant to the people getting their lives destroyed right now. Thats just emotional (political?) Blackmail. Ffs. Get a grip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Haven’t read the whole thread as it’s far too long and a developing situation so I’m sure it’s fast moving, but I don’t buy the “he choked to death because the cop was kneeling on his neck”. Throughout the video you can hear him talking, “I can’t breath” Etc. But as far as I can remember from college, if you can’t breath you can’t talk.

Am I wrong in that? I’m guessing it will come out that he died of a heart attack or aneurysm or something completely different.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement