Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

For all their bada** and hardness, the police certainly melt away when enough people rise up against them.
    Hopefully that zero tolerance policing and no civilian oversight has died a death this week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

MLK’s perspective on riots is very relevant

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

MLK’s perspective on riots is very relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Haven’t read the whole thread as it’s far too long and a developing situation so I’m sure it’s fast moving, but I don’t buy the “he choked to death because the cop was kneeling on his neck”. Throughout the video you can hear him talking, “I can’t breath” Etc. But as far as I can remember from college, if you can’t breath you can’t talk.

Am I wrong in that? I’m guessing it will come out that he died of a heart attack or aneurysm or something completely different.

So original.

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Haven’t read the whole thread as it’s far too long and a developing situation so I’m sure it’s fast moving, but I don’t buy the “he choked to death because the cop was kneeling on his neck”. Throughout the video you can hear him talking, “I can’t breath” Etc. But as far as I can remember from college, if you can’t breath you can’t talk.

Am I wrong in that? I’m guessing it will come out that he died of a heart attack or aneurysm or something completely different.

tbf it doesnt matter how he died, either way it was the cops fault whether it was asphyxia or heart attack, the knee on the back of the neck for so long was just ****ing stupid. Probably could talk with his last few breaths struggling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

These rioters are absolute scum plain and simple. No respect for anything or anybody.

GY_1980 wrote: »
    Won’t be much of a community left in that area after this. When all the media, rioters, etc. are gone, they will have to pick up the pieces.

Following the news tonight and it seems most of the Community Police, State police, and National Guard have withdrawn from the area. That’s devastating.

Same twits who destroyed their own community will be harping on about "da lack of de facilities" in a few weeks fault.

Also CNN has spent the last few years attempting to legitimise Antifa and BLM and what did they get in return, their offices attacked last night. You have to laugh really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I’m guessing it wasn’t a medical degree you were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

When you assault people using their right to protest with rubber bullets and tear gas, it's going to turn into a riot. It looks like this was.a step too far and at the absolute wrong time in the midst of the Ahmed Aubrey situation (where a retired cop and his son murdered a black guy for being black in their neighbourhood, and didn't even get arrested for over two months when it got national headlines).

I'm not condoning the violent reaction, but the response has been the perfect recipe and approach by us law enforcement for how to anger a community and goad people into rage fuelled blind anger. A shocking lack of leadership from the very top down, but not surprising given how so many at the top of US politics are there because of dividing people, and not uniting them.

And it's worth mentioning that when they peacefully protested by kneeling for the anthem, they were vilified also by about 40% of the population, with the president leading the charge.

When you assault people using their right to protest with rubber bullets and tear gas, it's going to turn into a riot. It looks like this was.a step too far and at the absolute wrong time in the midst of the Ahmed Aubrey situation (where a retired cop and his son murdered a black guy for being black in their neighbourhood, and didn't even get arrested for over two months when it got national headlines).

I'm not condoning the violent reaction, but the response has been the perfect recipe and approach by us law enforcement for how to anger a community and goad people into rage fuelled blind anger. A shocking lack of leadership from the very top down, but not surprising given how so many at the top of US politics are there because of dividing people, and not uniting them.

Yes it's someones else's fault they smashed that window and walked out with that brand new 48 inch Sony flat screen TV. These people need to take personal responsibility for their own actions. Protest by all means but this isn't protest it's pure criminal behaviour.

This man said it best in 1992

https://twitter.com/CountDankulaTV/status/1266356081577668608

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Yes it's someones else's fault they smashed that window and walked out with that brand new 48 inch Sony flat screen TV. These people need to take personal responsibility for their own actions. Protest by all means but this isn't protest it's pure criminal behaviour.
    If you keep punching me in the face, I'm going to lose my temper. Even republicans are getting mad at Trump here for inciting violence - their words, not mine.

If police had started gassing and shooting rubber bullets at the reopen protestors we would have seen flare ups too. Of course, the police didn't but the reopen protests were a very different demographic which played a huge part in them being allowed to 'patrol' the streets armed to the teeth with impunity, while that same president was screaming about 'liberation'.

Maybe they should liberate the white house?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

This man said it best in 1992

https://twitter.com/CountDankulaTV/status/1266356081577668608

Christ is that Dankula lad actually still relevant? I thought he wouldn't get a second burst at his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

If you keep punching me in the face, I'm going to lose my temper. Even republicans are getting mad at Trump here for inciting violence - their words, not mine.

If police had started gassing and shooting rubber bullets at the reopen protestors we would have seen flare ups too. Of course, the police didn't but the reopen protests were a very different demographic which played a huge part in them being allowed to 'patrol' the streets armed to the teeth with impunity, while that same president was screaming about 'liberation'.

Maybe they should liberate the white house?

Will you come out of the clouds or snap out of your Trump Derangement Syndrom.

Even Obama had huge racial issues very similar to this one...look at his hometown of Chicago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Even Obama had huge racial issues very similar to this one...look at his hometown of Chicago.

The only Trump Derangement Syndrome is that displayed by the halfwits who still defend the man.

The only Trump Derangement Syndrome is that displayed by the halfwits who still defend the man.

How has he caused this situation that has been recurring in the States in different guises over the last few decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

How has he caused this situation that has been recurring in the States in different guises over the last few decades.

It's kinda like the way that Trump gets credit for work done by Obama.

Anything half decent is thanks to Trump but anything bad has nothing to do with him.

pjohnson wrote: »
    It's kinda like the way that Trump gets credit for work done by Obama.

Anything half decent is thanks to Trump but anything bad has nothing to do with him.

I'm sorry I don't follow.

These types of riots are a part of American culture.

If anything, when Obama left office race relations were at an all time low...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Rioters are after attacking a CNN building in Atlanta, shows you how stupid they are. Let's attack the most left wing news station in America , if they'd attacked a Fox news station I could sort of see the point but CNN ???

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/29/us/cnn-center-vandalized-protest-atlanta-destroyed/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

GY_1980 wrote: »
    I watched her speaking earlier. She was very impressive. Saw images of the College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta destroyed and looted too.

This has long ago moved from protesting the death of Floyd to just vandalism, looting, robbery, and destruction. And it’s the poorer neighborhoods and small businesses that will suffer.

You see that's just wrong. Protest George floyds death by all means but what did the college football Hall of fame do wrong ?

I just checked my phone and Jesus it seemed like it kicked off all over the US overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Rioters are after attacking a CNN building in Atlanta, shows you how stupid they are. Let's attack the most left wing news station in America , if they'd attacked a Fox news station I could sort of see the point but CNN ???
    There is nothing Left wing about a corporate media conglomerate.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    You see that's just wrong. Protest George floyds death by all means but what did the college football Hall of fame do wrong ?

I just checked my phone and Jesus it seemed like it kicked off all over the US overnight.

I saw a "chunky" white woman in the middle of the rioters with a sign "abolish the police"...I think we all know what kind of morons we are dealing with here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

He hasn't caused it but he's making things worse. Anyone who can't see that at this point quite simply doesn't want to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Completely wrong. You can 100% talk when you can't breathe. Lungs have an expiratory reserve volume. It's a huge myth that you can't talk when you can't breathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/29/us/cnn-center-vandalized-protest-atlanta-destroyed/index.html

There is actually a police station in the same building

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

BASHIR wrote: »
    While that is good advice, would you imply that a consequence of such an act may incur death.

No I wouldnt imply anything but the whole point is the consequences of that one
    bad act cant be guaranteed.
    The leadership in the African American community is dire. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson still hanging around since the 60s . There needs to be a wider discussion in the African American community after this terrible incident. The Democratic party hasnt helped them since the 60either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Where do you think is better?

Ireland is better for one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

He never suggested he’d gun down his own citizens for minor crimes. Not even vaguely comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

In isolation he hasn’t, but he had plenty to say when Kaepernick was protesting peacefully about this exact problem and his leadership allowed the NFL to turn its back on him.

The way that he shat on the peaceful protest by Black America sent a message to Racist whites.

While your asking how he has caused this situation the real question you should ask is how he, as the ultimate leader in the country has done anything to stop this from happening????

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Completely wrong. You can 100% talk when you can't breathe. Lungs have an expiratory reserve volume. It's a huge myth that you can't talk when you can't breathe.

The point is that you wouldn't be able to keep talking for as long as George did if you flat out couldn't breath.

If his airway or circulation was completely restricted he'd have been unconscious in seconds, not minutes.

It's irrelevant though. The coroner has already confirmed that he wasn't asphyxiated. But that doesn't mean that Chauvin's actions didn't directly lead to his death. He may not have but off air or blood completely, but he restricted it to the point that the guy went into arrest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,602 ✭✭✭✭walshb

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    tbf it doesnt matter how he died, either way it was the cops fault whether it was asphyxia or heart attack, the knee on the back of the neck for so long was just ****ing stupid. Probably could talk with his last few breaths struggling.

It really does matter how he died.

The cop has been charged with a serious crime, so the cause of death will be very important to all this.

From the video it seems that the cop was too forceful.

But, he and his team will have to defend themselves against this charge.

Did his knee and weight cause the man to die.....?

How exactly did he die? Was it choking caused by the cop, or possibly some other reason...

You can bet the cop will protest that he did not use too much force restraining him and that he was "adjusting" the downward pressuer and all this and that.....

I am not saying what is right or wrong. I am simply saying that there will be arguments made here to show that George Floyd dies, but not all because of, or not directly because of what the cop did...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement