Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

KiKi III wrote: »
    He never suggested he’d gun down his own citizens for minor crimes. Not even vaguely comparable.

Trump suggested that if you loot then you may be shot. Most sensible persons can see that's a very reasonable position to take. If there was protests in Ireland like that then I'd say there would be every chance that the Guards would have to shoot looters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Trump suggested that if you loot then you may be shot. Most sensible persons can see that's a very reasonable position to take. If there was protests in Ireland like that then I'd say there would be every chance that the Guards would have to shoot looters.

No. Most sensible people would recognize that you don't threaten your own citizens.

The Garda would never use live rounds on looters or rioters. The idea is laughable.

You don't kill someone for property damage. You arrest and try them because it's a democracy.

The government do not have the right to shoot you for theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

If there was protests in Ireland like that then I'd say there would be every chance that the Guards would have to shoot looters.

That explains all the lads wearing bulletproof vests in jobstown as they dismantled lidl with the jcb

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

walshb wrote: »
    It really does matter how he died.

The cop has been charged with a serious crime, so the cause of death will be very important to all this.

From the video it seems that the cop was too forceful.

But, he and his team will have to defend themselves against this charge.

Did his knee and weight cause the man to die.....?

How exactly did he die? Was it choking caused by the cop, or possibly some other reason...

You can bet the cop will protest that he did not use too much force restraining him and that he was "adjusting" the downward pressuer and all this and that.....

I am not saying what is right or wrong. I am simply saying that there will be arguments made here to show that George Floyd dies, but not all because of, or not directly because of what the cop did...

A post mortem will decide the cause of death it’s not up to the lawyers. The cop in question will have to be made an example of or else there’ll be more riots. I’d expect a very long sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,266 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

No. Most sensible people would recognize that you don't threaten your own citizens.

The Garda would never use live rounds on looters or rioters. The idea is laughable.

You don't kill someone for property damage. You arrest and try them because it's a democracy.

I dont think that shooting is the answer, but there was someone earlier moaning that mass arrests would be too far. I mean, what do people think should happen when the city is in flames with no sign of it stopping? No matter what they do they will be wrong, meanwhile the city is in literal anarchy. So, what would you do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

There is close to zero chance in that situation that Guards would shoot looters
    They would have to be shooting someone to directly save life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Two minutes before Chauvin took his knee off Floyd's neck, the cops found no pulse. That's right - he had no pulse and was effectively dead but rather than give cpr, Chauvin kept his knee to the man's neck, effectively making sure he was dead.

If there's anyone thinking the coroners report will exonerate Chauvin, think again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Power, a gun and a badge . Terrible combination

• Registered Users Posts: 55,602 ✭✭✭✭walshb

MadYaker wrote: »
    A post mortem will decide the cause of death it’s not up to the lawyers. The cop in question will have to be made an example of or else there’ll be more riots. I’d expect a very long sentence.

You missed my point. Lawyers/defenders will challenge everything and fight everything. That is their job.....

You know they way different experts argue for either side.....?

Nothing in the law is irrefutable, unfortunately.....defenders will come up with any and every argument and red herring...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

I give it about 7 more days until this story is forgotten and the outrage is focused elsewhere.
    Post count will begin to drop off even sooner.

• Advertisement

Two minutes before Chauvin took his knee off Floyd's neck, the cops found no pulse. That's right - he had no pulse and was effectively dead but rather than give cpr, Chauvin kept his knee to the man's neck, effectively making sure he was dead.

If there's anyone thinking the coroners report will exonerate Chauvin, think again.

You need to wait here. Nobody knows all the details yet.....

There will be a lot of back and forth about how he died, when he died, why he died. Did this cause it, could it have been that, maybe it was this....

Nobody is saying a coroner report will exonerate.....I would say to wait and see here....lot of work to be done before a coroner signs off on cause of death....

Plus, a coroner simply signs off on what caused the death. They do not make a claim that a person caused it. They do not point fingers. And Chauvin's lawyers will fight tooth and nail to claim that his actions did not cause the death.

It's the part of the law that bugs me....red herrings and utter **** excuses being used, and at times, accepted by juries....

We have had them here many times......state pathologists giving causes of death as blood inhalation.....when the victim was battered senseless...

They aren't just looters, they are trying to set fire to an apartment building now apparently, already burnt down houses. Can anyone justify this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Will you come out of the clouds or snap out of your Trump Derangement Syndrom.

Even Obama had huge racial issues very similar to this one...look at his hometown of Chicago.

The "Trump Derangement Symptom" defense, aka:

43d4nm.jpg

When did Obama go on a campaign to vilify minorities peacefully protesting against police brutality?

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    They aren't just looters, they are trying to set fire to an apartment building now apparently, already burnt down houses. Can anyone justify this?

Exactly....it is out and out anarchy....insurrection.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Yeah it will be buried under the carpet till the next one.

Wow, hadn't heard that. If that is true it has to go under murder, as opposed to criminal negligence or something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Gatling wrote: »
    Another senseless murder of a black man by white cops ,

Kneeling one someone's neck while lying flat on the ground for ten minutes isn't justified in any way he was under control but yet we watch as he dies in front of out eyes ,how many times does this need to happen before America wakes up .

It's sick and unjust

Whatta surprise(not).

Thread After thread on here is downright racist, and yet we see ... posters down on their knees.

[quote="Carfacemandog;113592003"
    When did Obama go on a campaign to vilify minorities peacefully protesting against police brutality?[/quote]

Minnesota is burning. Buildings looted, police attacked.

"Peaceful protest" it is not. Full scale riot with the potential to cause further outbreaks in other cities.
    The offending police officers must be imprisoned and the local authorities must regain control.

If they are incapable then the state or even federal authorities must intervene.

Law and order must be maintained to protect the millions not rioting and looting. Don't shoot the looters though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Wow, hadn't heard that. If that is true it has to go under murder, as opposed to criminal negligence or something along those lines.

It's in here...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52857334

I don't think anyone is condoning straight shoot to kill looters here. But, if the cops need to restore law and order, then they have to be be prepared to possibly use lethal force...Unless people are advocating that rioters and looters can freely go about causing destruction and mayhem and endangering life?

These rioters and looter are out of control menaces.

• Advertisement

Looting Louis Vuitton in Portland last night :

https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/status/1266632344732962816?s=19

Looting Walgreens in Oakland:

https://twitter.com/deshawnieboy/status/1266650482841276418?s=19

Looting Apple store again in Portland :

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1266638527904673793?s=19

Looting Dior in Atlanta:

https://twitter.com/Dekaa101/status/1266634721355796480?s=19

Looting Traffic in Dallas

https://twitter.com/iamjoshromeroc/status/1266622068486963202?s=19

Are these people protesting the murder or are they taking advantage of the situation.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Minnesota is burning. Buildings looted, police attacked.

"Peaceful protest" it is not. Full scale riot with the potential to cause further outbreaks in other cities.
    The offending police officers must be imprisoned and the local authorities must regain control.

If they are incapable then the state or even federal authorities must intervene.

Law and order must be maintained to protect the millions not rioting and looting. Don't shoot the looters though
    Peaceful protests I was referring to were the NFL kneeling ones, which Trump went on an absolute crusade against those 'uppity' blacks for, and something liek 40% of the country followed suit.

The lie they mainly hid behind was that it was to do with respecting the military, but those protests are allowed by the military in their own guidelines - both for people serving and the general public. Meanwhile Trump was going around insulting war heroes and gold star families with those same supporters not caring at all.

And those NFL protests were about exactly what these more volatile protests are - police brutality. Maybe they should have listened back then, rather than following Trump into shouting for those uppity blacks to get back in line and know their place.

I don't think anyone is condoning straight shoot to kill looters here. But, if the cops need to restore law and order, then they have to be be prepared to possibly use lethal force...Unless people are advocating that rioters and looters can freely go about causing destruction and mayhem and endangering life?

These rioters and looter are out of control menaces.

Nobody is advocating riot and looters can freely go causing destruction.

Have you seen that in the thread?

Are you implying that just because you don't believe the government should shoot somebody that they think nothing should be done.

The strawmen just keep popping up.

Blueshoe wrote: »

Are these people protesting the murder or are they taking advantage of the situation.

Taking advantage. They don't care about the murder.

They are doing nothing but damaging their community, themselves, their people, and the name of George Floyd...

They really had a chance for a real change, and to make a difference. Again it's ruined by the feral and wild antics of people....

Incapable of arguing in any kind of coherent and dignified way....

Are you implying that just because you don't believe the government should shoot somebody that they think nothing should be done.

What are you talking about?

I am saying that shooting looters-rioters is not desirable or wanted, but if these people are a danger to others, (which they clearly are, as it's a warzone) then the cops may well need to shoot them...

They are doing nothing but damaging their community, themselves, their people, and the name of George Floyd...

They really had a chance for a real change, and to make a difference. Again it's ruined by the feral and wild antics of people....

Incapable of arguing in any kind of coherent and dignified way....

Unfortunately, yes. They are doing huge damage to their community and to peacefull protests which will get lumped in with this.

What should they do? I mean, I agree shooting should be a last resort, but how do they get people under control at this stage? Have you seen Minneapolis?

Unfortunately, yes. They are doing huge damage to their community and to peacefull protests which will get lumped in with this.

At least we agree on this...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Dobthe cops out there use rubber bullets at all? Would be handy to stop them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement